Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He says they want to do it when Eternity is done, but Early Fall < Winter. Eternity's projected release date is Winter 2014.

Fearg gonna Fearg?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Seriously, that is a boring article. What happened to interviews that actually contain different questions?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
He says they want to do it when Eternity is done, but Early Fall < Winter. Eternity's projected release date is Winter 2014.

Fearg gonna Fearg?

Ferg projects the game to be done in early Fall, but probably don't want to release it outright due to a crowded Holiday season. I guess they're waiting for release date confirmation of other games first before comitting themselves to a final date.

In the case of SEGA and Alpha Protocol though, this backfired. AP was finished late September 2009 but shipped in May 2010 due to Mass Effect 2 fears. Silly publishers.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Also: Ferg still wants to make Kotor 3, but is scared it might bloat the studio to an unsustainable size (cough Irrational Games cough).

Small insert. The interviewer/article says this, not Feargus himself.

So, what he actually meant/said is anyone's guess.

For beginners: What scale does the interviewer mean?

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The ideal shipping date is about a month before Dragon Age: Inquisition. The hype will be so big that people will be grasping at straws for a "derivative."

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nah. The beta, perhaps. I could see him doing a Kickstarter after a good beta has come out.
He said he expects it to come out this year and not "the day before Christmas". An October release seems reasonable.

Then downsize the team for the expansion work, while everyone else transfers to the new kickstarter, which is either just launched or just finished.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That was pretty much what I was thinking. In any case, I knew there was no way they were going to do the new kickstarter in March/April with all their best people tied up on PoE.

Deleted member 7219

We saw extensive progress trees in the game and evidence of meaningful choice that Obsidian games are synonymous with.

"We're definitely going to bring a different spin on that," Bradford grinned. "I think players are going to be pleasantly surprised by the capabilities of really being able to differentiate yourself, starting with a fresh vehicle and putting different upgrades or customisation parts on this."

jack-bauer-cry-o.gif

Hormalakh

Magister
seriously? they've changed the deadline from winter to fall? for a company that's so commonly called bugsidian, why are they pushing a game FORWARD instead of back? unless I am readin this all wrong. :/

Deleted member 7219

What's so horrible about that statement?

This is what choice has come down to in Obsidian games. Tank dress-up.

I was optimistic in earlier pages of this thread, I thought it was just Obsidian lending a few guys to help another developer out... but no, they are actually working on this. Things must be going really badly for Feargus to turn away from RPGs.

Duraframe300

Arcane
What's so horrible about that statement?

This is what choice has come down to in Obsidian games. Tank dress-up.

I was optimistic in earlier pages of this thread, I thought it was just Obsidian lending a few guys to help another developer out... but no, they are actually working on this. Things must be going really badly for Feargus to turn away from RPGs.

They were going reaaaaaaaallly badly in 2012 (When the project was started). Yes. The team still enjoys making this game though. Apparently a lot of them are big tank fans (and MMO, though we knew that before). They're genuinly excited about this game.

And its not just tank dress-up. The only thing this means that there is going to be more/deeper progression than you'd usually expect in an non-rpg online game. They seem to be giving a lot of love to the PVE part of this game in general.

Hormalakh

Magister
it just blows my mind to go away from something they know so well to something completely unrelated. They want to do an MMO? Fine, go ahead. Want to do choice and consequences? Fine? Don't want to do WoW clone? OK. But tanks? Where did that come from?

they should have been creative - that is their trademark. They do creative well.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
it just blows my mind to go away from something they know so well to something completely unrelated. They want to do an MMO? Fine, go ahead. Want to do choice and consequences? Fine? Don't want to do WoW clone? OK. But tanks? Where did that come from?

they should have been creative - that is their trademark. They do creative well.
Obsidian has made exactly one game with a self-created setting.

Hormalakh

Magister
but they've always been creative with any setting that they've worked on. planescape, star war, fallout, etc etc

Duraframe300

Arcane
we'll see what it turns out to be when it comes out.

I'm actually more interested about what happens after it comes out. Obsidian can do very well in community interaction and getting to do free content upgrades without having to worry about other things seems to be right in their ballpark.

Also it will be interesting to see on how much leeway they have with my.com/mail.ru regarding the F2P system (and in general). If they can do a non shitty one, that would bode well for an inevitable Obsidian MMORPG.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
seriously? they've changed the deadline from winter to fall? for a company that's so commonly called bugsidian, why are they pushing a game FORWARD instead of back? unless I am readin this all wrong. :/
The idea that this would come out between December 21-31 was always ludicrous. It'll be in beta in early fall, released in mid-to-late fall. When all they're doing is polishing it is pretty much "done."

imweasel

Obsidian obviously didn't realise that Winter actually starts on December 21st. So yeah, Bugsidian.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Obviously winter was a poor choice of words on their part. They should've just said Q4, which I suspect is what they meant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom