Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Visperas

Augur
I think DOS handled that perfectly. I also love gridless.

Lhynn

Arcane
11153.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey Josh likes gridless turn based combat
His preference is for hexes which is fine with me.

Squares ftl regardless.

I've been told that it does not. Inconsistent targeting, the utter absurdity of having idle animations change the hitbox (which would be less of a problem if there was a second click required to confirm like in Shadowrun Returns).

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In around 36 hours I've yet to encounter a single instance of having difficulty targeting what I want to, but I suppose the fact that you are free to target anything with whatever means that you can easily damage your party members if you have the reflexes of a 90 year old man.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In around 36 hours I've yet to encounter a single instance of having difficulty targeting what I want to, but I suppose the fact that you are free to target anything with whatever means that you can easily damage your party members if you have the reflexes of a 90 year old man.
http://www.reddit.com/r/DivinityOri...e_the_overlyspecific_hit_boxes_a_frustrating/
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=524988

Moreover someone on this forum complained about being electrocuted even though their character wasn't standing in the water, just near it.

This isn't a problem with other turn based games but leave it to Larian to cluelessly create problems for themselves.

Weasel
Moreover someone on this forum complained about being electrocuted even though their character wasn't standing in the water, just near it.
Yes, I remember that one - they just didn't realise that standing in blood had the same effect in terms of electrocution.

Really Roguey, your best trolling is based on some underlying truth, your efforts on DOS are looking a bit sad and desperate tbh. Why not wait until you've actually played the game, I'm sure you'll have plenty of material as it has some obvious flaws.

Now back to Obsidian in this thread I guess.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Likely there was a pool of blood at their feet that connected to their character and electrocuted them. This happens a lot without the leech trait.

And those examples you posted sounded exactly like someone with the reflexes of a 90 year old man. Also if they're having SO MUCH trouble targeting they could always just click on the portrait of the character they want to target.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
So... they talk FO:ol, NWN3, KOTOR3... Oh yeah, all games that are guaranteed to sell lots thanks to other companies making it possible. LMAO

\I'd love NWN3. Fuck KOTOR3. FO:OL LMFAO

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good old clickbait garbage.

"Obsidian wants to do a thing!!!!*"

*Obsidian won't actually be doing thing

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
NWN3 in PoE's engine would be... :bounce:
impossible because NWN is about user mods and prerendered backgrounds make that extremely difficult.

Unless you just want them to use Unity which doesn't really have anything specific about it to make it worth getting excited about.

Spockrock

Augur
impossible because NWN is about user mods
oh? I didn't get the memo, apparently. I've dumped hundreds of hours into NWN games and never even knew there were mods for it (although, now that you mention it, I think I remember something about a toolset in the first game)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
i"mpossible because NWN is about user mods and prerendered backgrounds make that extremely difficult."

Too bad NWN2 flopped on that aspect.

"oh? I didn't get the memo, apparently. I've dumped hundreds of hours into NWN games and never even knew there were mods for it (although, now that you mention it, I think I remember something about a toolset in the first game)"

You must have been living under a rock.

deuxhero

Arcane
DoS's square/hexless turn based suffers from the things ToEE did. Finding that one pixel where an AoE will cover every enemy doesn't really add to gameplay and while DoS's maps aren't really setup for chokepoints that one or two people can cover (though you can easily create them with fire) and the AI is stupid and rarely tries to bypass your melee fighters to get to the people behind them, the lack of being able to make a shieldwall hurts. Thanks to AoO it isn't crippling for either (like RtwP's fucked up movement is for any game with it), but it certainly doesn't really make a shining example of the strengths of gridless turnbased.

Has there ever been a turn based game with a grid in combat that had free movement outside of it. Nearest I can think of is Fallout 1/2 which was obviously hex base outside of combat and led to the classic "I don't know how to walk in a straight line" problem of hexes which looked weird. JA2's use of squares was the same way but didn't have as much zigzag movement. It shouldn't be TOO hard to make one ("snap" characters to the nearest hex/whatever when combat starts) but I'm curious if it has ever been done.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Has there ever been a turn based game with a grid in combat that had free movement outside of it. Nearest I can think of is Fallout 1/2 which was obviously hex base outside of combat and led to the classic "I don't know how to walk in a straight line" problem of hexes which looked weird. JA2's use of squares was the same way but didn't have as much zigzag movement. It shouldn't be TOO hard to make one ("snap" characters to the nearest hex/whatever when combat starts) but I'm curious if it has ever been done.

Chaos Chronicles :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom