Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

nikolokolus

Arcane
Based on a few of Sawyer's comments, it sounds like Obisidian would like to move to other locations within the world. So you could potentially see different tech levels without having to advance time.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It is very strange, but the same is true for generic fantasy. 10.000 years pass, but people are still riding horses, using the same weapons and armor. Thankfully PoE tries to break this by adding some simplistic guns."

Idiot.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like a sci fi game in Eternity's universe? I think that with enough time between gameplay periods, the world history could be developed and technology advanced, while still allowing for player agency in a game taking place in any given era.

More so, you could put the player in the middle of history unfolding (like PoE).
Yes, but they wouldn't have to go sci-fi in the second game. We get Pillars of Eternity . Then the expansion is set in another part of the world, or maybe fifty years in the future. Pillars of Eternity 2 could be set a 100 or 200 years in the future. The world would reflect that. Then ,if they feel like making another game, they adance time further, but the technological advancements are very visible. Not this whole, it's been 500 years, everything is the same style we get in a lot of other games.

Rake

Arcane
Like a sci fi game in Eternity's universe? I think that with enough time between gameplay periods, the world history could be developed and technology advanced, while still allowing for player agency in a game taking place in any given era.

More so, you could put the player in the middle of history unfolding (like PoE).
Yes, but they wouldn't have to go sci-fi in the second game. We get Pillars of Eternity . Then the expansion is set in another part of the world, or maybe fifty years in the future. Pillars of Eternity 2 could be set a 100 or 200 years in the future. The world would reflect that. Then ,if they feel like making another game, they adance time further, but the technological advancements are very visible. Not this whole, it's been 500 years, everything is the same style we get in a lot of other games.
They said they want the characters to me importable from one game to the other like BG was. And they chose the setting because they wanted a pure fantasy setting as their first IP (safer bet and all that).
They won't change that so they can have a sci-fi setting. If they deside that for some reason they want a sci fi game, they make it a different IP

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They said they want the characters to me importable from one game to the other like BG was. And they chose the setting because they wanted a pure fantasy setting as their first IP (safer bet and all that).
They won't change that so they can have a sci-fi setting. If they deside that for some reason they want a sci fi game, they make it a different IP
An advancement of 100 years doesn't make it sci-fi and that's not really what I would want for an immediate sequel. But you are right, they did say that they wanted you to be able to import your characters from PoE to the sequel, so what I would like to see doesn't really matter. As long as they do a good job, I won't complain.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
It is very strange, but the same is true for generic fantasy. 10.000 years pass, but people are still riding horses, using the same weapons and armor. Thankfully PoE tries to break this by adding some simplistic guns.
Eh, we don't know yet whether PoE will go forego the technological stagnation, since it's the first game in the setting, so there's nothing to compare it to.

Yes, PoE has guns, but the BG games were also in a late medieval/early Renaissance setting: the game was set in the 15th century, a western continent was recently discovered, gnomes invented flying machines and submarines, Jan's gadgets, some rooms have pianos/harpsichords, there is full plate armor, etc.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Remember Obsidian said they want to fund future poe with poe profits, and plan to launch a new ip with another Kickstarter.

Gozma

Arcane
The Forgotten Realms 2nd Edition stuff BG/BG2 were based on had arquebus/musket/blunderbuss technology entering the campaign world (I remember they had the rule where you roll damage for a musket on a d10, and if you roll a 10, you roll the die again and add that to the 10 you already rolled - if it's another 10, then roll again, etc.) Maybe they're trying to out-BG BG.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Remember Obsidian said they want to fund future poe with poe profits, and plan to launch a new ip with another Kickstarter.
As it should be, if you ask me.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Seems like Obsidian found that senior producer

Jonathan Moss (Producer on RTCW and Doom3)

Could Obsidians next AAA game also not be an RPG? Remember, the job listing didn't specify rpg.

:troll:

Rake

Arcane
Seems like Obsidian found that senior producer

Jonathan Moss (Producer on RTCW and Doom3)

Could Obsidians next AAA game also not be an RPG? Remember, the job listing didn't specify rpg.

:troll:
RPGs are dead, didn't you hear? There will be no more AAA RPGs ever again.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
attachment.php

source:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...ATHFINDER-video-game-By-Obsidian#.U-pF6GMQNlM

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Obsidian making MMO's... Card Games....... :M

Well if that keeps them in business and can still make cRPG's.... I guess that's a good thing. Or something.

Rake

Arcane
If Obsidian makes a Pathfinder game but its a MMO/ FP action game/ card game, Grunker will burst a vein or two :lol:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If Obsidian makes a Pathfinder game but its a MMO/ FP action game/ card game, Grunker will burst a vein or two :lol:

I can confirm that vein-bursting will be achieved, yes. Well, perhaps I could survive a card game, but man, it would have to be certifiably awesome!

Rake

Arcane

I can confirm that vein-bursting will be achieved, yes. Well, perhaps I could survive a card game, but man, it would have to be certifiably awesome!
Yap, a card game is the only one it would seem even remotely interesting. Of course, a kickstarter RPG using pathfinder would be the best, if only for the butthurt in the Codex than the second Obsidian's game will be also High fantasy with elves :cool:.

Or maybe this is a publiser/Paizo funded 2D isometric RPG, separate from the new kickstarter game, but that's too good to ask for.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The Pathfinder thing is gonna be a card game with RPG elements. The CEO chick basically just gave it away on their forums.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
From some site
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2014/1874.html said:
Obsidian Entertainment, best known for their work on titles like South Park: The Stick of Truth and the upcoming Pillars of Eternity have announced their long-term licensing of the Pathfinder franchise.
The first fruit of this partnership with Paizo Inc. will be a tablet version of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game for one to four players. A deck-building game with RPG elements, the tabletop version has found a permanent place in my game collection.

"At Obsidian we have a long history of working with the greatest RPG franchises, and we're thrilled to get to play in the Pathfinder universe now," said CEO Feargus Urquhart. "We're huge fans and can't wait to bring what we do in the electronic gaming world to Pathfinder fans everywhere".

"Obsidian is a video game developer at the top of its game", said Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens. "Being able to bring that type of experience and passion to Pathfinder can only mean great things, both for our loyal Pathfinder community and for all fans of great CRPGs."

While no other games have been immediately announced, an epic single-player RPG from Obsidian in this universe would be quite fantastic. If you're attending GenCon this year, an early version of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game for tablets will be playable both at the Paizo booth (#203) and the Obsidian booth (#2151).

TheLostOne

Savant
On the Paizo forums, Lisa (their CEO) confirmed that this was just a first project of a long partnership and that actual RPGs are to come in the future. This was just a first project that was fairly quick to put together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom