Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Isn't that Skyforge?

obsidian job posting said:
Obsidian Entertainment is looking for talented, self motivated Character Artist to join us in creating content for a highly stylized MMORPG.

official website said:
Skyforge is a highly-stylized MMORPG featuring exciting dynamic combat inspired by console action games, where players could.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I imagine Obs will be gearing up for the next Kickstarter next month (probably later than sooner). If they want to crowdfund another rtwp title they better hope their rewritten pathfinding code is nigh-perfect, or it's going to kill a lot of enthusiasm. :cool:

imweasel

I imagine Obs will be gearing up for the next Kickstarter next month (probably later than sooner).
I hope so. I can hardly wait to give them exactly zero dollars.

...unless Tim Cain is project lead. Then I'll think about it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What if it's turn-based and hex-based and takes place in an interesting setting with Avellone as creative lead??????????

(it probably won't be that but it could)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So you admit that the only way for them to raise Money is for Sawyer's name to be absent from the pitch?
Interesting...
:drink:
Of the tens of thousands of people who donated to Eternity, I doubt most of them even know or care who Josh is even now.

Like Josh is pretty damn well known for a game designer, but he has 5k twitter followers compared to Avellone's ~16k. No contest.

Tytus

Arcane

Back to the Future x Doctor Who crossover confirmed!

back-to-the-future-doctor-887171-480x320.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That is too risky, and Feargus tries to pick things that are relatively safe (and I don't blame him. His job is to KEEP Obsidian making games). I would do the same thing as well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've never seen any evidence that Feargus hates turn-based. Not sure where Jaesun is bringing this from
He got it from me. :)

http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...o-the-new-thread.75947/page-1191#post-3324097

He doesn't hate it, just very reluctant. As the rpg division director of Interplay, he would know how much turn-based games sold compared to the IE games.

Eh. Anything that anyone has ever said before Kickstarter Happened is now suspect. Wouldn't be surprised if you could find him, or other people from Obsidian, saying things like that about IE-style RTwP gameplay too. Josh included!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Feargus will NEVER allow a turn based game (that is not funded by a Publisher).

Even after D:OS success?

I've never seen any evidence that Feargus hates turn-based. Not sure where Jaesun is bringing this from

It is called sound Business Management. With Project Eternity they took every single "safe" decision with it (RTwP, Fantasy Setting) etc... Feargus is not someone who generally takes huge leaps of faith (like Swen did).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I've given both inXile and Obsidian too much money already.

It is called sound Business Management. With Project Eternity they took every single "safe" decision with it (RTwP, Fantasy Setting) etc... Feargus is not someone who generally takes huge leaps of faith (like Swen did).
Eh. D:OS was practically in alpha by the time it was Kickstarted. Not a big leap of faith.
Also, Project Eternity has failed to deliver on the safe decisions.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Eh. D:OS was practically in alpha by the time it was Kickstarted. Not a big leap of faith.

I'm talking about his leap of faith to use their OWN money to fund and develop D:OS (before the Kickstarter). Thankfully due to the KS and what they designed ended up excellent.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I've given both inXile and Obsidian too much money already.

Also, Project Eternity has failed to deliver on the safe decisions.
It's not possible to say if PoE will deliver (monetarily) on its safe decisions yet.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
It's not possible to say if PoE will deliver (monetarily) on its safe decisions yet.
Depends on what you mean by "deliver": raising $4+ million interest-free for your company, developing a reusable game engine and keeping IP rights is not too shabby. At the very least, Obsidian kept its employes busy for another year and gained a lot free publicity. Overall, not a bad payoff for playing it safe.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I'm done with this Kickstarter shit, Obsidian included. No offense, Obsidian.

Unless of course they pull out that canceled Skyrim-in-Space thingy, then I'll gladly lay down like a victim and let Feargus have my €uros expropriated out of my anus like a smooth motherfucker. Even Gaben would learn something new.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Aaaaaan we have an ex-Interplay guy joining Obsidian as a sr software engineer. Most likely working on Armored Warfare as he specializes in MMO's.

Eric Whelpley

As for his work at Interplay

Interplay Productions
October 1995 – February 2002 (6 years 5 months)Irvine, Ca
Researched and designed black box technology based on newly released hardware:
image processing, image and sound compression (DCTs, wavelets, predictive encoding, statistical based Huffman encoding and LZW hybrids), different uses for current 2D and 3D rendering techniques.
Performed risk analysis on technical designs for start-up projects: evaluated designs for areas of technical difficulty and unknowns, schedules for accuracy, programmers’ abilities relative to schedule compliance and advised on project staffing when schedules and programmer competencies were not consistent.
Advised on solutions for technical problems: this often involved research on my part but also included debugging, algorithm design and efficiency analysis, and resolutions to hardware related problems.
Technical direction on multiple Star Trek games.
Lead programmer on adventure game "Of Light and Darkness: the Prophecy."
Lead programmer on multimedia project "Timothy Leary: In the Garden of Chaos."

Duraframe300

Arcane
Can anyone tell me if Obsidian has any other unannounced projects?

One lead by Brian Heins. And the Kickstarter as mentioned of course.

I'm not sure if Brians game is something big, though. Constant Gaw is Lead Level Designer on it, but is putting double duty on Pillars.

Update on this

Constant has updated his Linkedin and it proves my initial assumption wrong. He only worked 1 month on Pillars from January to February 2014. In february he switched over to Lead Level Designer. Most likely still Brian Heins project.

So, no that prop wasn't something small. Prob the AAA game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom