Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
K3Oa3y8.jpg

Telengard

Arcane
I'm one of the people with the worst luck of all times with bugs, and I've played almost every Obsidian game there is, and I don't think any of their games even enter my top 10 Most Buggiest Experiences of All Time. Let's see (in order, from greatest to least):

1 Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone (unfinishable)
2 Temple of Elemental Evil (squeekered a finish through a maze of errors and save corruptions)
3 Hidden & Dangerous (unfinishable)
4 Dark Souls (toasted save, got the mod)
5 Vampire Bloodlines (unfinishable until mod)
6 Sea Dogs
7 Ruins of Myth Drannor
8 Strahd's Possession
9 Stalker
10 Medieval: Total War

Kay, nope.

Having made my top 10, I have the sense that they probably wouldn't even breach my top 20, since I haven't finished with the absolutely broken or unplayable lists yet, though I have finished with the list of games with at least one save corruption or a corruption of all saves (TOEE, damn you to hell!). Obsidian's would probably start showing up in the mid 20s.

Which just illustrates that there are a couple of other companies who deserve the Buggiest Developer Boo Boo Award far more.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Clearly this means a 2D isometric party based rtwp or tb Star Wars game is in the works.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Feargus Urquhart really wanted to make a Star Wars RPG with action combat. :)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That would have been pretty fun to be honest, more fun that KotOR combat. Imagine KotOR 2 with Jedi Knight 2 combat, that would be amazing.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
That would have been pretty fun to be honest, more fun that KotOR combat. Imagine KotOR 2 with Jedi Knight 2 combat, that would be amazing.
More like KotOR 2 with Alpha Popamole combat, because we are talking about Obsidian here.
This thought chills me to the bone. It is really the stuff of nightmares.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They posted that because Feargus must be desperately trying to secure a contract from EA or Disney. And because new SW trailer.

Seaking4

Learned
Jedi Knight combat was better than what we got in KoTOR but it still left lots to be desired. The multiplayer duels (with certain restrictions, mostly disabling force powers) were definitely a blast.

Edit: Even Jedi Academy introduced some nice things but overall I didn't find it be any better than JK2. In fact, in certain areas it was worse (although I suspect the changes were made with the best of intentions). Jedi Academy is also the closest thing we got to a Star Wars Action RPG. Create your own character, choose which powers you get at 'level-up', kind of non-linear, very basic C&C.

On second thought, could you create your own character? I remember being able to pick an alien race but then spending more time customizing a lightsaber.

cjbulanda

Literate

How? Jedi knights combat doesnt require any RPG combat unless they forced it. That game would make for a lot of headlines but lack luster RPG

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
< Winner of BLAM Jedi Knight 3 LAN Deathmatch Tournament :cool: (Double-Edged Lightsaber on medium power and Force Lightning circle strafe ftw)

Edit: Even Jedi Academy introduced some nice things but overall I didn't find it be any better than JK2. In fact, in certain areas it was worse (although I suspect the changes were made with the best of intentions). Jedi Academy is also the closest thing we got to a Star Wars Action RPG. Create your own character, choose which powers you get at 'level-up', kind of non-linear, very basic C&C..

The multiplayer was awesome though. I never played the Jedi Knight single player.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
More like KotOR 2 with Alpha Popamole combat, because we are talking about Obsidian here.
This thought chills me to the bone. It is really the stuff of nightmares.
Depends on which era of Obsidian we're talking about. Post-DS3 would likely turn out okay.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Just checking in to say that you shouldn't read too much into Obsidian facebook stuff. They also had other stuff up there including about D&D, AP and so on. In no way is this confirmation of a game in the works.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I wish I knew why you guys like New Vegas over here. It had very little of the original Fallouts, even the color palette was entirely different. A slightly better Fallout 3 if you will, still shit as a Fallout RPG, though.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't get into Fallout 3, even tried to start with New Vegas a few times. I always quit a few hours in.

Lhynn

Arcane
I wish I knew why you guys like New Vegas over here. It had very little of the original Fallouts, even the color palette was entirely different. A slightly better Fallout 3 if you will, still shit as a Fallout RPG, though.
Factions, some of the areas you get to explore (Like vault 11), some of the dialogues, the world building was decent, a couple of the dlcs were gud. FNV isnt a bad game by any means, and can be downright fantastic at times, but infinitron is suggesting that the guy that was partly responsible for a a few of the good bits of a post apocaliptic RPG with shooting mechanics is the man for the job for a an isometric RTwP, party based game set in fake europe. Because "they are both rpgs".

His ideas are not inherently bad (and I'm talking in relation to IE games here). Pacing is a matter of overal design imho, not just a single mechanic (ie, having XP for killing shit). Therefore, it's possible the game will simulate IE games pacing well without adopting the same implementation. Also, every bonus is basically a %, so what's your fucking problem? Last time I check, the issue was bonuses seemed meaningless but that's something they can still work out...
His ideas are inherently bad in the context hes trying to apply them. You said pacing is a matter of overall design, and overall design is very different in PoE, the old IE pacing is completely broken because of this. Not only is the pacing broken, the mental state you have when you play D&D sawyers edition: this time everyone is a mage, is pretty different, thus everything feels off.
% bonuses are lazy and uninteresting, and the fact that they were meaningless because of "balance" is yet another thing to worry about.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Did we play the same game? I don't even remember what factions it had apart from Ceasar's legion, and I remember it being retarded for some reason, but I even forgot why. Can't remember a single dialogue, a single memorable NPC, a single interesting location. Oh, I actually remember a very irradiated area and I thought this is where I'm gonna find some unique stuff, cause it couldn't have been explored before me - and there was nothing. That's basically how the whole game felt.

naossano

Cipher
New Vegas is just building off the foundation of the Fallout 3 mechanics though.

Ahem... Let's not forget the foundation of Fo1, Fo2 and FoT. The factions, the C&C, the reputation system, the non scaling. It isn't much Fo3 stuff but things that were already there before...

Lhynn

Arcane
Did we play the same game?
Im pretty sure we didnt, i counted over 30 factions. To me the most interesting dialogue comes from Caesar and House but there are a couple of good interactions in the NCR military camp, The white glove society was fun to explore. Play the game if you like it, dont if you dont, but dont bullshit me, because its not bad.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So there's an interesting dialogue with Caesar, a couple of interesting interactions (something smaller than a dialogue I suppose) in the NCR military camp and an interesting concept of a secret society. So basically 20 minutes of interesting stuff out of a few dozen hours of gameplay. Yep, looks like we played the same game after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom