Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

crakkie

Arcane
Shit I just noticed it was 54 people donating $839,254. :lol:

Though $9m would be a pretty realistic/honest budget. How much has PoE cost at this point?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Btw Phil Spencer mentioned that microsoft spoke multiple times with Obsidian, but it never worked out so far.

Kimda puts a damper in the theory that the cancelled Sawyer rpg pre-Pillars was Microsoft published.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Is that directed at me?

If so I was more just laughing at the idea that a successor to a fairly niche title could amass 9 mil on kickstarter, not implying that I would want it to fail.

I never played Bloodlines and I'd fund it. Much like I never played Wasteland 1 and I funded Wasteland 2.

Don't assume things that which you know nothing about.

I never played Bloodlines and I'd fund it. Much like I never played Wasteland 1 and I funded Wasteland 2.
Unless you're saying that you would single-handedly donate 9 million dollars to fund the project, then this is a logical fallacy.

Don't assume things that which you know nothing about.

I'm quite familiar with kickstarter and the way it works. In fact I successfully used it to raise capital for my own start-up last summer, and prior to that spent a great deal of time researching and analyzing successful kickstarters. I can guarantee you that unless the user base of kickstarter exploded in an unprecedented manner that there is no possible way a project with a goal of 9 million would be funded (yes, I am aware that there are several projects that have ultimately exceeded that figure, but their funding goals were significantly lower, and those kinds of outliers aren't particularly useful for anything other than skewing data). Not to mention that T:ToN, the top funded video game via kickstarter (and no, I would not consider OUYA to be a legitimate comparison) did not raise even half that amount, or that a big part of funding surges for VG kickstarters come from capitalizing on momentum and selling stretch goals.

In short:
:nocountryforshitposters:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Unless you're saying that you would single-handedly donate 9 million dollars to fund the project, then this is a logical fallacy.

That was an ok strawman.

I'm quite familiar with kickstarter and the way it works. In fact I successfully used it to raise capital for my own start-up last summer,

Citation needed.

and prior to that spent a great deal of time researching and analyzing successful kickstarters. I can guarantee you that unless the user base of kickstarter exploded in an unprecedented manner that there is no possible way a project with a goal of 9 million would be funded (yes, I am aware that there are several projects that have ultimately exceeded that figure, but their funding goals were significantly lower, and those kinds of outliers aren't particularly useful for anything other than skewing data). Not to mention that T:ToN, the top funded video game via kickstarter (and no, I would not consider OUYA to be a legitimate comparison) did not raise even half that amount, or that a big part of funding surges for VG kickstarters come from capitalizing on momentum and selling stretch goals.

In short:

So you had your own kickstarter and google searched other kickstarters. You then dictate what is and isn't video game stuff. Big fucking deal.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I'm quite familiar with kickstarter and the way it works. In fact I successfully used it to raise capital for my own start-up last summer, and prior to that spent a great deal of time researching and analyzing successful kickstarters. I can guarantee you that unless the user base of kickstarter exploded in an unprecedented manner that there is no possible way a project with a goal of 9 million would be funded (yes, I am aware that there are several projects that have ultimately exceeded that figure, but their funding goals were significantly lower, and those kinds of outliers aren't particularly useful for anything other than skewing data). Not to mention that T:ToN, the top funded video game via kickstarter (and no, I would not consider OUYA to be a legitimate comparison) did not raise even half that amount, or that a big part of funding surges for VG kickstarters come from capitalizing on momentum and selling stretch goals.

In short:
Star Citizen has raised over 40 million (I forget what the exact figure is now) with a combination of kickstarter and their own site.

There's going to be a 10 million dollar video game kickstarter at some point when a company has the right combination of pitch, believability, and built in audience.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Star Citizen has raised over 40 million (I forget what the exact figure is now) with a combination of kickstarter and their own site.

There's going to be a 10 million dollar video game kickstarter at some point when a company has the right combination of pitch, believability, and built in audience.
Jeez they are at over 65 million. Is that all backer money? No investors? That's insane if it is.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Star Citizien had only one of these things though (the pitch). Mainly they were geniuses in marketing and especially in how they handled stretch goals to get suckers to continue shelving out money long after the fact.

I'm not sure thats the way I want Obsidian to go.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The only reason Star Citizien did so well is because there are MANY MANY people who have been craving a space fighting game, because they don't make them any more (like the wing commander games). That's why it made MILLIONS!!!1111 Though they did do a damn good pitch too. Even Fargo would blush.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The only reason Star Citizien did so well is because there are MANY MANY people who have been craving a space fighting game, because they don't make them any more (like the wing commander games). That's why it made MILLIONS!!!1111 Though they did do a damn good pitch too. Even Fargo would blush.

So are many other gernes. What kept Star Citizien GOING was the constant stream of incentives to pay more and more money. Those 65 million didn't get raised overnight.

They handled the pr part of the whole equation by far the best of any kickstarter.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Star Citizien had only one of these things though (the pitch). Mainly they were geniuses in marketing and especially in how they handled stretch goals to get suckers to continue shelving out money long after the fact.

I'm not sure thats the way I want Obsidian to go.
I don't either, and I don't think you could even use the same money raising schemes for a single player game.

I didn't say there would be a 50 million dollar kickstarter, I said 10 million. It's coming.

While I don't share your certainty, neither do I disagree with this statement (I do think it's fairly likely); that was, however, not the matter under discussion. If/When there is a 10 million VG kickstarted I AM certain that it will be for a project that sets a funding goal of no more than half that amount.

I also think that your invocation of SC as an example is fairly disingenuous. Accuse me of pedantry if you like, but, if memory serves, SC raised around 2.5 mill on Kickstarter -a fairly negligible portion of its current budget "Kickstarter" and "crowdfunding" are not interchangeable terms; Kickstarter is rather a very specific form of crowdfunding.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
and it's very unfortunate that most entry level applicants don't understand the concept of cache coherency or how to avoid/reduce cache misses. I think your mate is doing the world a favor by keeping the art alive.

I'm a horrible programmer but doesn't that have something to do with hashCode and equals methods in classes? I think I remember learning something about that in Java (which is the language I am most familiar with).

eg. https://plumbr.eu/blog/how-to-create-a-memory-leak

VladimirK

Learned
I'm a horrible programmer but doesn't that have something to do with hashCode and equals methods in classes? I think I remember learning something about that in Java (which is the language I am most familiar with).

eg. https://plumbr.eu/blog/how-to-create-a-memory-leak

Nah, Cadius is talking about various on-CPU caches. Much smaller than RAM but orders of magnitude faster. Serious algorithm optimizations take CPU caching into account. Things like: make it so the set of data your algorithm is touching fits in the cache and you'll be much faster even when your theoretic big-O complexity didn't improve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom