Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Nobody who pens an 'open letter' can be anything but a giant dickhead.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, sometimes I have hopes of humanity being not mostly composed of subhuman opportunist imbeciles but when I read something like this open letter I just give up.

Apexeon

Arcane
Man, sometimes I have hopes of humanity being not mostly composed of subhuman opportunist imbeciles but when I read something like this open letter I just give up.

Its the media they have to feed on something. Like the vulture waiting for a corpse to pick through.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I need to see the context for this one.

I suspect this is the Escapist article by Russell Pitts. It's called "An Open Letter to Obsidian" and is basically a pathetic and pretty ignorant rant about Honest Hearts having bugs and he's super mad at Obsidian for always being buggy.

I won't give Escapist money for this shit so here's the article quoted:

An Open Letter to Obsidian Entertainment:

It's not you, it's me.

I wasn't sure what I wanted when we met. I know that's not fair, but it's the truth. I hope you can forgive me.

You were passionate, creative and smart. Full of ideas. So many ideas. You seemed like the perfect partner. Whatever I was into, you were into as well. For every fantasy I could imagine, you were ready to take it further. And when we played out some of my favorite stories together, I couldn't help but fall madly in love with you.

There was a hole in my life then. I'd been burned too many times and had decided to give it all up. When a friend introduced me to you, I wasn't interested at first, but something about you seemed familiar. Like we'd shared some of the same experiences and dreamed some of the same dreams.

I admit it was perfect for a time. You would spin your tales (so detailed!) and I would wallow in them. It took me a long time to realize though, that I wasn't really in love with your ideas, I was in love with the idea of your ideas. The difference is subtle, I know.

I've been with you since the beginning. Since before the beginning, actually. Since you called yourself Black Isle. Maybe that's why I hung on so long. Maybe I was still in love today with who you were yesterday. I know that's not fair, but you're partly to blame. You changed more than you let on and it took me a long time to realize that.

I know that I changed, too. I used to sit at my computer for days on end, happy to download patches and fixes and hunt for drivers that would make our days together complete. Today: not so much. Today I'm couch-bound, and I'd rather spend my time with you and your ideas than spend time dealing with your issues.

The issues are always there, though, aren't they? You can't seem to let them go, and that's what's really sad. It seems like now the issues are all we have. Maybe they always were. Maybe it was just easier to overlook them before. Or maybe the struggle was part of the appeal. Maybe I felt I didn't deserve something perfect, so I settled. Maybe you were always flawed and I was happy to enable you.

I know this all comes as a shock. I wish I could put it more gently, but the fact is you've hurt me. I forgave you for the flaws in Knights of the Old Republic II. For the half-ending and the way it didn't quite capture the spirit of the original. I forgave you for Neverwinter Nights 2. It wasn't perfect, but it was - to be fair - as good as the original, or better. You had a lot of room to mess things up there, and that you took all of it and more wasn't your fault. Not really.

I also forgave you for Alpha Protocol. The fact is, you and I both knew that was beyond you. It would have been a nice surprise if it had ended well for you, but it didn't and we both know why: You weren't ready. You overreached. I hope you can see that.

You know I forgave you for Fallout: New Vegas, too. Sure, it was you up to your old tricks, tripping once for every two steps, but I thought that maybe if you could spend some time in your old neighborhood you would realize how much things have changed - and how much you haven't. I had hoped that seeing what your friends had done with the place might inspire you to be better. Instead, it seems like it only made you bitter. Made you focus on trying it your own way again, one more time, just to prove you were right when all along, the road to success was right at your feet just waiting for you to take the first step.

The one thing I can't forgive is this ridiculous bullshit with the New Vegas patches DLC. I was looking forward to "Honest Hearts," I really was. The Burned Man was one of your greatest inventions. I had hoped to hear his story, to revel in your brilliance one more time. But then you had to ruin it like you always do. A patch that broke the game it was supposed to be patching? And then, after you tried to fix what was broken, you broke something again. I fell for this already, with ED-E. How interesting he was. What a story! Except I never got to hear the ending because it was riddled with all of your usual bullshit. Now I can't even begin the new tale because of the problems with the old.

This was the final straw for me, Obsidian. Later on, when you're awake late at night and wondering why your friends have abandoned you, I hope you remember how badly you fucked this up. Patches are supposed to fix things. That you can't even get that right suggests you've stopped caring. That you've given up on us. That everything we had together doesn't matter enough to you to even try to fix what's broken. To me, that's unforgivable.

I wish I could make sense of how something that used to feel so perfect and so right could turn so totally rotten, but that's where we are. I think it's best for both of us if I just say goodbye.

What I want now -what I need now - is someone who will be there for me. You are brilliant and I hope that someday you realize that and stop messing round with ideas that are too big for you. I hope that someday you manage to focus on your strengths. You have a lot going for you and if you could only learn how to finish what you start I think you will be as great as you always wanted to be. As we always knew you would be. You are your worst enemy, and I hope you realize that.

Whether or not you understand what I'm talking about, or are able to find your way through the problems you are dealing with, I know there is someone out there for you. I know you will have no trouble replacing me. I see the way others look at you; blind to your faults, like I was. You won't be alone for long. I'm okay with that. But you and I are through.

And seriously, fuck you.
what a gigantic faggot

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Would it be possible for Obsidian to make a Fallout type game on their unity engine with PoE graphics?
They are probably making an expansion to PoE, but if anyone from Obsidian is lurking here, consider this also.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Tim Cain speaks for the first time on the Obsidian forums. And it's about Fallout. :smug:
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71191-i-have-some-questions-for-tim-cain/?p=1625571

Hi Cutter!

Let's take these questions one at a time.

I wrote the intro to Fallout, including the "War never changes" lines. Another writer had written an intro, but it had never been edited by any lead and my associate producer was going to the recording studio the next morning to tape Mr. Perlman and wasn't sure what to do. So I wrote a new intro and told him to record both, and we would decide later which one sounded better. BTW, one of the big lessons I learned on Fallout was that some lines read well on paper but don't sound good when you hear them (and vice versa). It's hard to tell for some lines until you hear them spoken.

I don't know who managed to get Mr. Perlman involved, but he was a great narrator. He managed to sound decisive and sad at the same time.

And while I have no information about Fallout 4 or any Obsidian involvement, I am personally excited about the idea of a new Fallout game being announced. I get to play these new Fallouts as a fan, and so I am excited while at the same time I have no idea what they are planning to do.

And sorry for the delay in answering you. I've been busy with patch issues for Eternity.

Tim.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It'd be a dream come true if Obsidian made a VtM game. Definitely, I can't wait to see how PoE grows. Had me hooked from the start unlike Wasteland: 2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
10808699_1078227265527593_661235912_n.jpg

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
He looks like he started hating fun at a very young age, I wonder what happened.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Designer
Obsidian Entertainment is currently looking for a top notch level designer to join us a new role-playing game.

For this project, we expect level designers to fully participate in the level creation process, from initial conception to final implementation of gameplay. Design responsibilities will include all of the following: generating design documents for areas, creating blockouts to preview areas and test gameplay, collaborating with level artists to tackle issues and ensure that level goals are being achieved, and implementing encounters, scripting and dialogue as needed to bring your areas to life. You should be a proactive problem-solver, able to create innovative solutions and eager to share them with your team. Most of all, we are looking someone passionate about their work and ready to help bring a new world to life.

Applicants should be ready to provide samples of their level design and/or 3D modeling work as needed.

Requirements:
  • 3+ years game industry experience, working on area design.
  • Worked on at least one shipped title through its complete production cycle.
  • Experience with the Unity engine is preferred.
  • Creativity and exceptional attention to detail desired.
  • Experience generating 3D blockouts of game levels.
  • Experience with scripting languages.
  • Interest in helping integrate story, character and gameplay into a cohesive whole.
  • A team player that knows how to collaborate effectively with artists and programmers.
  • Excellent communication skills, including the ability to produce effective documentation that sells your ideas.
  • Ability to adhere to tight schedules.
  • Comfortable receiving criticism and iterating on design work as needed.
  • Love of computer and console party-based role-playing games
  • Skilled with Microsoft Office, bug tracking softwarde, source control software, and game development toolsets.
Simply apply via e-mail: jobs@obsidian.net

Please put the job you are applying to in the subject line please.

Please no phone calls or drop ins. We only accept emailed applications.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom