Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Given that they've already said Pillars of Eternity 2 is next and it is obviously set up to mirror the Baldur's Gate trilogy, then Pathfinder, I wouldn't hold my breath on getting anything other than fantasy from Obsidian for a long time.

Don't worry, 5-10 years from now they'll look at another genre.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Given that they've already said Pillars of Eternity 2 is next and it is obviously set up to mirror the Baldur's Gate trilogy, then Pathfinder, I wouldn't hold my breath on getting anything other than fantasy from Obsidian for a long time.

They're ready to pay mortgages and save for kids' college educations.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

That sounds awesome.

It would be, if our early detection systems weren't ringing in Pathfinder as a console RPG.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

That sounds awesome.

It would be, if our early detection systems weren't ringing in Pathfinder as a console RPG.
:negative:

Name

Cipher
Didn't Obsidian always have around 3 projects going at the same time?

I remember they were saying they don't want to kickstart Pillars of Eternity 2, but maybe they'll kickstart another smaller project for fun?
1.Pillars of Eternity line - self-funded slam dunk
2.Pathfinder line - traditional publisher model
3.Kickstarter line - steal your monies

I believe they have at least 4 projects in development atm (unannounced MCA/AAA, PF adventure card game, AW, and the PoE expansions which I'm assuming is one team), and they likely have others in early concept stages.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Unannounced MCA is what I'm cautiously interested, a good MCA lead game is the only thing that can make me forgive (forgive is a strong word maybe if MCA impress me with good storyfag flowers maybe I give him a second chance.) Obsidian for robbing my wallet with PoE.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Unannounced MCA game is just conjecture. Is there any even tiny proof that it does exists? I don't think Chris has enough time for his own project.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
MCA doesn't have time to write the WL2 and PoE novellas. :( Also, isn't there the Skyforge game that Obsidian is helping with?

Athelas

Arcane
Unannounced MCA game is just conjecture. Is there any even tiny proof that it does exists? I don't think Chris has enough time for his own project.
http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/2014/09/qa-with-chris-avellone/
For example, in the past month, I was doing core writing work on one of our internal projects, now I’m illustrating cartoon Kickstarter backer rewards, and also doing creative lead duties on another of our unannounced internal projects scripting lore and world sourcebook material.

I think it's a console title. :negative:

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There was also this from our interview with Obsidian

mindx2: Apart from the card game with Piazo anything else in the foreseeable future?

Chris: We have Armored Warfare, helping out with the Skyforge MMO and there’s one other unannounced RPG… am I forgetting anything…?

[someone]: Expansion…

mindx2: [towards Chris] Is the unannounced RPG your baby?

[At this point, there was some cross-talk while I was asking Avellone my question, and I clearly heard someone say “Is it one or two expansions?”, and someone else replied, "with an 's', right?". When I asked if there are two expansions, they tried to cover it up, but I wasn't buying it. I said that I had clearly heard an 's' after the word "expansion", but all I got in response was some uncomfortable laughter. Giving up, I repeated my original question to Chris.]

Chris: No it’s not.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
SAAoZAY.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Isn't EAware already working on a Star Wars RPG?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom