Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't get too excited, these Twitter community manager types like throwing random snippets of stuff into the air.

Anyway, a Marvel Cinematic Universe/Avengers-esque superhero RPG (with lots of witty banter) is certainly a commercially promising idea, but it seems more appropriate for AAA than anything Kickstarter. Gotta have lots of spectacle.

The Bishop

Cipher
Yes, trademarked superhero RPG, the best way to deliver a deep, nuanced, and mature story the kodex is longing for.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/598936061314617344

13173.png

Obsidian working on a superhero RPG? Discuss!

The #superherorpg hashtag does make it look like it could be the start of a marketing campaign.

This could also explain MCAs role in the project. He has some experience with super hero RPGs. I'll just leave a snip of a private conversation I had with him in 2010 as evidence.

sm2SBH4.png

Athelas

Arcane
Don't get too excited, these Twitter community manager types like throwing random snippets of stuff into the air.

Anyway, a Marvel Cinematic Universe/Avengers-esque superhero RPG (with lots of witty banter) is certainly a commercially promising idea, but it seems more appropriate for AAA than anything Kickstarter. Gotta have lots of spectacle.
Well, it could be an urban fantasy style 'mundane' superhero.

Or it could be the console game they're presumably working on. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A role playing game where you play someone else's pre-established character is no good (unless you're a previously-dead amnesiac Geralt).

Rupuka

Novice
A role playing game where you play someone else's pre-established character is no good (unless you're a previously-dead amnesiac Geralt).
Stupid question but is making your own character a good thing? At least for a computer RPG?
In P&P RPG making your own character is great because every aspect no matter how small has the potential of being relevant and every NPC can react in a meaningful way thanks to the GM. But every computer game with the promise of "you can be anyone you want" is lying.

Obviously there is no way devs can program a game that actually reacts to every possible thing you can do, but the problem is that most devs picked for solution never addressing some things or leaving them ambiguous so they don't conflict with your headcanon; or, if you are lucky, getting a really superficial comment as "look a [insert race/class/other]" every once in a while. A lot of roleplaying now is just in the head of the person playing instead of the actual game, making your own character is great but if that gets in the way of roleplaying, well, the priorities of a RPG should be obvious. Games like Deus Ex or Torment wouldn't be able to do a lot of thing they do if one was able to change the protagonist, a lot of great thing that made you relate to the character more and contextualize their actions as logical.

If the role is pre-established, then the devs can create a game about actually roleplaying as it instead of leaving as much as they can in the air to not get in the way of over-glorified LARPing

Doktor Best

Arcane
Meh. I dont want to play some idiot who wears his underpants above his clothes. I want to experience a world i have to adapt to and grow stronger in order to explore it and overcome my obstacles. A superhero would stand above all from the very beginning. It would be far too epic.

I want me some turn based sci-fi/postapocalypse/cyberpunk/medieval/pirate rpg.

Basically everything but superheros and standard fantasy.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been joking about Obsidian making a superhero rpg and who I would like to see represented and have come up with the conclusion that Watchmen is the only one I'd like to see.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What if you got to create your own super hero and the story didn't revolve around the usual people (and no Wolverine)?

Deadpool. Not even that huge a fan of the character, but I want to see MCA write a hyper-violent Deadpool RPG. That shit would be bonkers.

Outside of that I would play a squad-based tactical TB nu-xcom clone using either JL or Avengers as a license.

An Obsidian Hellboy game might also have potential, but I definitely don't see that happening.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Stupid question but is making your own character a good thing? At least for a computer RPG?
In P&P RPG making your own character is great because every aspect no matter how small has the potential of being relevant and every NPC can react in a meaningful way thanks to the GM. But every computer game with the promise of "you can be anyone you want" is lying.

Obviously there is no way devs can program a game that actually reacts to every possible thing you can do, but the problem is that most devs picked for solution never addressing some things or leaving them ambiguous so they don't conflict with your headcanon; or, if you are lucky, getting a really superficial comment as "look a [insert race/class/other]" every once in a while. A lot of roleplaying now is just in the head of the person playing instead of the actual game, making your own character is great but if that gets in the way of roleplaying, well, the priorities of a RPG should be obvious. Games like Deus Ex or Torment wouldn't be able to do a lot of thing they do if one was able to change the protagonist, a lot of great thing that made you relate to the character more and contextualize their actions as logical.

If the role is pre-established, then the devs can create a game about actually roleplaying as it instead of leaving as much as they can in the air to not get in the way of over-glorified LARPing

Blank slates and predefined protagonists created for role playing are fine, characters from other mediums are not fine unless you jump through a lot of hoops like CD Projekt did.

throwaway

Cipher
So after infecting vidya with the braindead zombie bullcrap Hollywood is passing the AIDS that is superhero shit. God help us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom