Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Obsidian is not the Victim

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I learned long agio that to get lols you gotta ignore trying tod etermine someone being sarcastic or serious. just go full lown nerdrage for the r00fles!

Someone will get butthurt to your butthurt. It's a beautiful cycle of internetdom!

madbringer

Arcane
Topher said:
treave said:
Fuck this, I played through the 90s, I can live with bugs. Fucking Fallout 2 was horribly bugged too (thanks for the slamdunk, Fearghus you wanker), and the Baldur's Gate games weren't uber-polished technical paragons of gaming either. Oblivion and Fallout 3 were both bugged to hell and back too, but of course they neglect to say anything about that in their 90+% reviews.

When did gamers start being pussies that whined about some random bug wiping their autosaves? I mean, fuck, autosaves? You fucking lazy assholes.

I played everyone of those games when they came out and not a single one has come close in terms of bugs then New Vegas for me.

You must be joking. Not sure about Oblivion and Fallout 3, they are pretty fucking buggy but NV might be buggier, i don't know (didn't play yet), but Fallout 2... 100% sure you did not play unpatched, straight out-of-the-box Fallout 2, man, coz you would never say anything is more buggy than that abomination is if you would, save maybe for Daggerfall.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Ogg said:
Shannow said:
1. This is a known bug in dev A's game/engine.
2. Dev B knowing this bug didn't do anything about it.
3. Clearly dev B is in no way responsible for this bug in their game since it was already present in A's previous game/engine.
Let's try a new formulation:
1. Gamebryo engine is a buggy, unstable and badly optimized piece of software
2. Bethesda and other devs made several games on this engine and none really managed to fix or circumvent the aforementioned issues
3. Obsidian did a follow up of one of Bethesda's game and didn't do better than anyone in terms of game stability, graphical prowess and such
4. Shitstorm on Obsidian, WROST GAEM DEV EVER!!111
How does the reviewer's moronity explain Cenobyte's and other's attitudes to Obsidian having no responsibility for the quality of their game?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
denizsi said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I haven't tried the feature yet, but I think you can disguise yourself with faction apparel and go undercover in PGs and other places.

If this is true, that would be a massive incline in RP gaming.

It's true, I've just completed a (pretty good) White Gloves quest in Vegas with the help of that feature.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Volourn said:
But, hey, go play those GB games, and M&Ms, and other so called old skool games and come brag about their totally awesome C&C.

And, no, don't mention Ultima series which is the exception that proves the rule.

There's C&C in M&M and Wizardry, not much, but it's there resulting in a few different endings in some games.

If you're going to go full derp at least derp correctly.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"There's C&C in M&M and Wizardry, not much, but it's there resulting in a few different endings in some games."

O.M.F.G.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shannow said:
Ogg said:
Shannow said:
1. This is a known bug in dev A's game/engine.
2. Dev B knowing this bug didn't do anything about it.
3. Clearly dev B is in no way responsible for this bug in their game since it was already present in A's previous game/engine.
Let's try a new formulation:
1. Gamebryo engine is a buggy, unstable and badly optimized piece of software
2. Bethesda and other devs made several games on this engine and none really managed to fix or circumvent the aforementioned issues
3. Obsidian did a follow up of one of Bethesda's game and didn't do better than anyone in terms of game stability, graphical prowess and such
4. Shitstorm on Obsidian, WROST GAEM DEV EVER!!111
How does the reviewer's moronity explain Cenobyte's and other's attitudes to Obsidian having no responsibility for the quality of their game?

No one is saying they aren't responsible for the quality of the game, but a few bugs aren't exactly a deal-breaker for games and RPGs in particular.

Personally, I am willing to play a game with some bugs as long as it's still fun. What pisses me off is that many of the reported bugs were present in Fallout 3 and that was touted as GOTY by the same people who are now turning around and calling NV the worst game ever.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
There could be light at the end of the tunnel, thanks to roll-a-die:

Shamus
October 24, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I didn’t want to trample all over whatever review I might eventually write, but I’m digging the functional parts of the game as well. I’ve played through the middle-ish portion of the main quest twice now (haven’t beaten it yet) and I’m impressed with how much freedom you have.

It’s really a shame about the bugs. I’d much rather have launched the NV discussion with the content of the game itself.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It’s really a shame about the bugs. I’d much rather have launched the NV discussion with the content of the game itself.

OK, fuck this guy.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Shannow said:
Actually, that's what I'm trying to explain. "Cenobyte and others" are just trying to add some nuance to the discussion. I don't think they were denying the responsability of Obsidian (and neither am I), they are just pointing out that Obsidian is not the first to produce this kind of buggy games and that other devs that did so weren't as criticized as Obsidian is now. It's a most glaring incoherence when you compare the rage against Obsidian with the apathy towards the very same bugs when the game was Bethesda's only. And on that point I think you can easily agree.

But, you know, nuance and subtlety ain't that easy to come by on the Internet.

Archibald

Arcane
Obsidian in essence are restricted modders in this case. Its highly possible that they couldn`t fix those bugs even if they wanted to.

Marsal said:
denizsi said:
Konjad said:
Well, if you put clothes of a faction on you they will think that you're one of them. At least most of them - except guards.

Nice. What happens when they don't think you're one of them at all. Everyone attacks on sight?

Faction members (not all people belong to a faction, i.e. raiders attack on sight) behave as per your standing with their faction. There are several degrees of "bad" reputation (3?). I'm not 100% sure, but I think that only on the worst one (vilified?) they attack on sight, else they warn you not to go in their camp.

The clothes work great for ambushing/avoiding patrols or infiltrating camps and killing harder targets in their sleep (combined with "sandman" perk). I'm not sure "named" NPCs see through the disguise by default (or dogs and guards for that matter). You are warned guards can spot you, when first equiping a faction armor, though.

*CONTAINS VERY MILD SPOILERS*
I managed to first talk and then kill a Legion Centurion and half of the camp without alerting anyone, while being vilified by the Legion. Dogs, scouts and guards were "clickable" and spoke their default lines (the dogs ignored me).

In another instance, Powder Ganger guards opened fire when they saw me, while others behaved as I was one of them.
*END MILD SPOILERS*

Mine/grenade planting works great too. "Friends" of the victim go hostile for only about 30 seconds. If no one sees you, you're good to go.

Often times I forget I was on a "covert" operation while fast traveling. It can lead to some... unpleasant situations :)

Sometimes it's scripted that the faction gear fails, but for a good reason. The Powder Ganger guarding the NCRCF tells you he knows everyone he ever served time with, and that you're wasting both their time trying to fool him.

madbringer said:
You must be joking. Not sure about Oblivion and Fallout 3, they are pretty fucking buggy but NV might be buggier, i don't know (didn't play yet), but Fallout 2... 100% sure you did not play unpatched, straight out-of-the-box Fallout 2, man, coz you would never say anything is more buggy than that abomination is if you would, save maybe for Daggerfall.

Tbh, the only severe bug I remember is the car trunk thing, which wasn't that bad since the trunk kept following me around, I just lost access to the car itself. The rest was mostly broken minor quests with people not realizing I did something for them, but nothing noteworthy.

Volourn said:
I learned long agio that to get lols you gotta ignore trying tod etermine someone being sarcastic or serious. just go full lown nerdrage for the r00fles!

Someone will get butthurt to your butthurt. It's a beautiful cycle of internetdom!

OH GOD IT IS SELF AWARE

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I didn't even get the car trunk bug on my first F2-game. Sure there were minor bugs but nothing earth shattering. Actually, I didn't have bad time with either Arcanum or VTMB either. TOEE was the only one which didn't even want to start without patching.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Hahaha, New Vegas makes Fallout 3 look like total shit.

"BUT WHAR SI TEH GAINT ROBOTZ!??"

"Y CATN I GET POWRA ARMUR!?" (I still haven't figured out how to get power armor yet...)

Drakron

Arcane
Archibald said:
Obsidian in essence are restricted modders in this case. Its highly possible that they couldn`t fix those bugs even if they wanted to.

Well some seem inherit but there is a lot of crappy going on in scripts that THEY made.

Also the speed they put up that patch (day 1) seems to indicate they were fully aware but Bethsoft decided to go ahead.

As much as Obsidian makes messes, Bethsoft is also know by their shoddy work.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Volourn said:
"There's C&C in M&M and Wizardry, not much, but it's there resulting in a few different endings in some games."

O.M.F.G.

What? truth hurts? You have C&C at the end of Wizardry 6 to determine which of the ending you get. I DID say there was not much.... :smug: Anvil of Dawn the same. Might and Magic VII had different ending depending on whether you were good or bad..C&C mothafucka!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Elzair said:
Fuck the bugs! This game kicks ass!
There aren't even that many bugs. I mean, Hearts of Iron 3 and Victoria 2 had major issues on release, but who would give a fuck when the game itself is so damn good.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
You have C&C at the end of Wizardry 6 to determine which of the ending you get.
The C&C in Wiz6 was pretty awesome actually, because IIRC it wasn't terribly obvious that there was an alternative. You had to actually disregard the specific objective you're given by the Queen and drop the cross before speaking to Rebecca. It was pretty cool. Of course, by the time you speak to her you should have guessed that the Queen is lying through her teeth :smug:

Might and Magic VII had different ending depending on whether you were good or bad..C&C mothafucka!
Actually MM7's was a Bioware-style "now pick choice 1 for good and choice 2 for evil". Boring, but no one plays M&M for the C&C.

Anvil of Dawn's was pretty cool though, as even though you ARE told what to do to get the best ending it is entirely possible to miss/skip some things and end up with the "bad" ending. Which is not such a bad thing, as it's more of a bittersweet ending (and a pretty good one).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Actually MM7's was a Bioware-style "now pick choice 1 for good and "choice 2 for evil". Boring, but no one plays M&M for the C&C. "

Actually, BIO's C&C are much deeper than that. Sure, most BIO games aren't FO level but most of them are deeper than pick 2 endings at end of game. FFS

Stop the liez, start the truthz.

cogar48

Educated
jiujitsu said:
Hahaha, New Vegas makes Fallout 3 look like total shit.

"BUT WHAR SI TEH GAINT ROBOTZ!??"

"Y CATN I GET POWRA ARMUR!?" (I still haven't figured out how to get power armor yet...)

Power Armor is easy as shit to get. Do main quest. Find BOS. Do quests for BOS. Get Power Armor. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom