Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyforge MMORPG, co-developed by Obsidian

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm going to need a citation for that.

Games have always either made character underwear ridiculously skimpy and thus boring, or only slightly less covering than a union suit. Very few games manage to get the balance right (despite it being easy to design such)

Duraframe300

Arcane
But what exactly is Obsidian doing to help? Chris Avellone explained.
"We're helping the developers in Russia assemble an American team to do the Westernised version of it," he told me at scrumptious UK game show Rezzed 2013 last weekend.
"It's not Obsidian's staff that's actually working on the game, but what we're doing is we know developers in the area that are familiar with this type of game; we can help you assemble a team, give you office space to work on that, provide the IT support, give design advice if necessary.
"But, overall, we know people that can help you guys out, so we'll assemble a small group at Obsidian to do it, and then we'll just go from there."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But what exactly is Obsidian doing to help? Chris Avellone explained.
"We're helping the developers in Russia assemble an American team to do the Westernised version of it," he told me at scrumptious UK game show Rezzed 2013 last weekend.
"It's not Obsidian's staff that's actually working on the game, but what we're doing is we know developers in the area that are familiar with this type of game; we can help you assemble a team, give you office space to work on that, provide the IT support, give design advice if necessary.
"But, overall, we know people that can help you guys out, so we'll assemble a small group at Obsidian to do it, and then we'll just go from there."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-28-how-obsidian-is-helping-with-russian-mmo-skyforge

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So they are just giving them IT stuff, office space and a list of non-Obsidian devs, who will make the western version of the game. And MAYBE some advices about design. Nothing to see here people, this project almost doesn't have anything to do with Obsidian. Thankfully.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Considering every single one of those positions at Obsidian you linked to are for a MMO, yeah I'm pretty sure Obshitian is getting more 'involved' Another 'need' to keep the lights on deal I suppose.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Another fun fact: The female elves in Allods Online had the best underwear since Scarlet Blade
I'm going to need a citation for that.

Games have always either made character underwear ridiculously skimpy and thus boring, or only slightly less covering than a union suit. Very few games manage to get the balance right (despite it being easy to design such)
I think we all need to see some evidence before we take your word for it.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Eyeball

Arcane
...that trailer looks A LOT like something you might see in an asian MMO.

So, Obsidian went from New Vegas to South Park and now Asian-style MMOs. Some seriously vigorous inbreeding must take place at Obsidian Manor for degeneracy to progress this quickly.

Duraframe300

Arcane
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Your destiny is your own to forge. My.com, a subsidiary of Mail.Ru Group, has revealed a new AAA title: the premium massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) Skyforge is currently being developed by the Allods Team, an in-house studio of Russian Internet giant Mail.Ru Group, with westernization from US gamemaker Obsidian Entertainment. Skyforge will launch as an immersive MMORPG gaming experience for PCs.

“This is our most ambitious project to date”

In Skyforge, players develop from immortals, to mighty champions, to powerful gods gaining and developing their mortal followers and powers along the way. Empowered by the faith and skill of their followers, gods battle invading armies in intense, merciless combat to protect their home world. Skyforge features unique action combat and a massive variety of classes and character customization options as players grow from immortal to invincible gods.

Skyforge is being developed by the award winning Russian game developer Allods Team, a part of the Mail.ru Group. Their last project, Allods Online, was the first major Russian MMORPG and launched in more than 15 countries. The core of Allods Team includes industry veterans who developed internationally acclaimed games including Evil Islands, Etherlords, Silent Storm and Heroes of Might and Magic V.

Set in a world where fantasy meets Sci-Fi and ancient mysteries live side by side with cutting-edge technologies, Skyforge transports players to a stunning universe where mortals and immortals fight for survival against invading gods and their armies. Players start as immortals newly reborn into the world and vie to become gods themselves.

“This is our most ambitious project to date,” said Oleg Shpilchevsky, The Allods Team’s Head of Development Studio. “With players competing and cooperating on one single giant server, Skyforge brings the massive back to MMORPGs.”

Visceral combat sequences and grand battles unfold across a world settings limited only by the developer's imagination. To ensure that Skyforge meets the expectations of players worldwide, The Allods Team has enlisted the help of the widely lauded development studio, Obsidian Entertainment.

“We have begun working closely with the Allods Team to ensure that the game is a success in western markets,” said Eric DeMilt, Development Director of Culturalization for Skyforge, Obsidian Entertainment. “We are building a team of accomplished developers to collaborate in class and instance content development as well as westernization. It is an exciting partnership with an excellent development team, and we can't wait for players to get into the game.”

To learn more about Skyforge, please visit www.skyforge.com. For instant updates, follow the Skyforge team on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to the official YouTube channel.

Skyforge joins My.com’s stellar, recently-announced 2014 lineup that also includes AAA MMOs Armored Warfare, being developed by Obsidian Entertainment; World of Speed, in development with Slightly Mad Studios and Evolution, a sci-fi action RPG for iPad and iPhone being developed by My.com's internal studio.

About My.com

My.com is a subsidiary of Mail.Ru Group, the largest Internet company in Russian-speaking countries with an audience of more than 100 million users (comScore, September 2013), that is publicly traded on the London Stock Exchange (LSE: MAIL), (listed since November 5, 2010).

My.com is building an integrated communication and entertainment platform, dubbed ‘Communitainment,’ beginning with a family of mobile services and games. My.com’s mobile communications apps - myMail and myChat - provide multiple email account management and messaging, and myGames is a growing collection of mobile and PC game experiences.

For more information about My.com, please visit: http://press.my.com/about/.

About Obsidian Entertainment

Founded in 2003, Obsidian Entertainment is an entertainment software development company based in Irvine, California, passionately dedicated to the creation of high quality role playing games for all personal computer and console platforms. Obsidian is best known for the products Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and the record breaking crowdfunding through Kickstarter for Pillars of Eternity (http://eternity.obsidian.net).

For more information about Obsidian Entertainment, please visit: http://www.obsidian.net/.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
At least it seems they're mostly responsible for localization with this one, unlike Armored Warfare. Let's hope this one doesn't get screwed by horrible microtransactions like Allods Online did.

Duraframe300

Arcane
At least it seems they're mostly responsible for localization with this one, unlike Armored Warfare. Let's hope this one doesn't get screwed by horrible microtransactions like Allods Online did.

I don't know if they are responsible for localization at all. The only confirmed thing that we have that *hints" at it is *westernization.

Otherwise we have more info on stuff they are actually working on like combat and instanced content. Actually it seems like Obsidian had a pretty big influence on Skyforge's combat from its initial more WOWy one shown back in Mid-2013 to the one shown and talked about recently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom