Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian working on a Pathfinder game - could be an Eternity CRPG + card game

Duraframe300

Arcane
I wonder if doing a CRPG might be dependent on how successful the card game will be. That'd be stupid of course, but publishers are stupid after all.

Publishers say "there will be game X" and then cancel it and say "sorry, there won't be game X after all" all the time. "Will be" means "might be", i.e. we're considering it.

I actually hope it's a Kickstarter, because otherwise they'll have no obligation not to cancel it.

Paizo is a license holder, not a publisher. I doubt they'd fund a CRPG themselves, just like TSR and Wizards of the Coast never funded any D&D CRPG.

I don't think Obsidian would want to waste effort on Kickstarting somebody else's IP, either, so funding via a third party publisher (like say, Paradox) might be likely.

Maybe Paizo would do the kickstarter for it themselves?

BTW. Shane DeFreest has previously worked with the Paizo CEO. Maybe he is the one who got the whole thing rolling.

I wonder how far this deal extends in terms of games. Will we see Obsidian Pathfinder Pinball?

:troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I assume he would be the creative lead (rather than the lead designer), while letting someone else handle all that pesky gameplay stuff. :codexisfor:

Meanwhile, at the Wasteland forums:
https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8119

Obsidian Fails Again
http://pathfinder.obsidian.net/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

People like to bag on InXile, but at least since Kickstarter was proved viable they have been consistent in only making traditional/hardcore cRPGs and ONLY going through Kickstarter to make games (which means only making games their core fans wan), meanwhile OE continues hypocritically milking nostalgia with PoE (while tearing up D&D mechanics and using MMO mechanics) while doing casual rubbish on the side. F2P Tank MMO, South Park RPG, tablet card game, lololololololololol
:lol:

Ah, Crosmando. The guy is a heavy Codex lurker, who sort of defines himself in opposition to what he thinks is currently in vogue on the Codex (while still being a legitimate hardcore RPG fan).

He thinks we hate Wasteland 2 and love PoE and DivOS, so he likes pointing out how much he dislikes those games. Assume he's reading this post.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Wait. There's a Pathfinder vs DnD debate? Come on. Pathfinder IS DnD. FFS

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You do know he was being ironic, right?
No he wasn't.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/35419-does-anyone-else-share-my-dislike-of-d20/page-7#entry391658
JES said:
Even with the most "elegant" rulesets (SLA, Storyteller..etc) I have found much potential for *LOTS* of house rules. I have yet to find a perfect or even near-perfect system. It just doesn't exist.
I wasn't arguing that one did exist, but I didn't need to write pages and pages of house rules when I ran CoC, Toon, or Paranoia.

I'm surprised he likes Delta Green. The game is awesome, but the system leaves much to be desired.
He does think stock CoC is garbage and I'm sure he's house-ruled stuff (though not pages and pages of stuff like he had to do with third edition). :)

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/49804-4e-already-released/page-2#entry858746
JES said:
Delta Green is the only CoC game/setting where more than 5% of campaigns go beyond three sessions anyway -- and for good reason. Stock, old-fashioned Chaosium CoC is great if you want to simulate the story experiences heavily, but it kind of blows as a game.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/46533-what-properties-would-you-like-to-see-games-made-from/page-2
JES said:
Cthulhu stories and the CoC tabletop game were usually about hapless rubes being caught up in the gears of the mythos. Delta Green operatives are abnormally aware of and equipped to deal with the Cthulhu mythos. It avoids the situations where a private eye, housewife, and baker are thrown up against Nyarlathotep.
Lovecraft stories make for crummy gameplay. Yes, the characters in the stories are typically unsuspecting buffoons. Do you really want to play unsuspecting buffons? Really? Delta Green operatives know things about the Cthulhu mythos, but they still don't understand (nor can they ever understand) the big picture. Delta Green also isn't a government agency. It was once a government agency and was dissolved to create Majestic-12 (a group of terrible dummies who want to be pals with Cthulhu). The people who work in Delta Green are operating completely in violation of local and federal laws wherever they go. They don't have federal funding, don't go through special training programs, etc. They are just smart, organized people who are focused on defeating the various armies of Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep, the Karotechia, the Fate, Majestic-12, etc.

Personally, I think that works a lot better than playing in a CoC setting and having to act incredibly shocked at every revelation that is familiar to every Lovecraft fan. "THERE ARE MONSTERS WHAT WHAT?! PERHAPS I CAN DEFEAT THEM WITH MY .22 PISTOL AND WALKING STICK! OH NO I AM BEING TURNED INTO A SERVANT OF GLAAKI GURGLE GURGLE."

I like how I knew this was Crosmando before I even clicked the link to confirm.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
The tablet game is whatever; obviously Obsidian has had trouble keeping people employed in the past and if it takes Tank MMOs and tablet games to keep from laying off half the staff I'm fine with that. More importantly here is the relationship built; personally I would love to see multiple Pathfinder and Eternity RPGs being developed side by side over the coming years. Considering Avellone and Sawyer don't particularly like generic high fantasy I'm sure narratively we'll be moving into more interesting stuff, regardless of the base setting/IP.

While I would love to have seen them really focus on the Eternity setting and develop the lore, there's a cost involved there and it's not really in their wheelhouse - not to mention they would never be able to match the amount of available content they now have access to.

ColCol

Arcane
10 pages of argument over a fucking card game. Lolz

OyoNTFz8_400x400.png

ColCol

Arcane
So, what are the chances you guys-girls think this game has of coming to a system besides tables.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You must be new here. Usually it is A LOT worse....
Ya I've lurked for years now, but typically when people start writing dissertations I stop paying attention. There are occasionally good points to be found, but there is only so much of the power fantasy manifesto I can read. I shamelessly come for the sound bytes.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That actually looks kinda cool (I like card games).

It's a shame it is on tablets. I guess Obsidian doesn't want me to buy their games...:M

himmy

Arcane
It's a shame it is on tablets. I guess Obsidian doesn't want me to buy their games...:M

It will inevitably have an Enhanced Edition (with up to THREE NEW CARDS!) coming to PC like a year after the initial release.

Weasel
Wouldn't it be a bit like Torment using Numenera though? Not sure of the exact details of that deal, but even if they paid a portion of the revenues as a license fee for using the system, they'd still 'own' most of the rights to the game.

inXile and Obsidian are different companies; Obsidian seem a lot more anxious about having their own IP.

That said, Numenera is very new and untested, so I'm guessing Monte Cook's demands were fairly modest. Pathfinder, in contrast, is a PnP juggernaut.

But perhaps having a license for a "PnP juggernaut", and the attention that brings, would be worth the cost? Anyway, I remembered reading something from Feargus on licensed properties and finally found it. Yes, it doesn't prove anything, is vague, and was from back in December, but perhaps with the right deal a kickstarter for a licensed property would still make sense:

In fact, it sounds like Obsidian’s already narrowed down its direction for a second Kickstarter quite a lot. During our chat, Urquhart only offers sly hints, just as one might expect from a man who once oversaw the most silver-tongued of espionage RPGs and yeah, no, it’s not going to be Alpha Protocol. Damn it.

“There’s something we’re talking about that I think would be really cool, but it’s not an original property,” he says. “It’s a licensed property. But it’s not Alpha Protocol! It’s something we can still do a ton of creative stuff with, though. And then the other thing is an original property. Also, there’s a third thing that somebody approached us with, but I really don’t think that’s going to work out.”

Regardless, a second Kickstarter is pretty much a lock.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/14/obsidians-bold-future-eternity-meets-skyrim-a-second-ks/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/14/obsidians-bold-future-eternity-meets-skyrim-a-second-ks/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Good point, I forgot about that. He was probably talking about Pathfinder.

It's not clear, however, that the second Kickstarter that "is pretty much a lock" actually has anything to do with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom