Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes, i'm sure he cried when he saw the SA thread. :roll:
Definitely seems the type. Look at those long posts he wrote about inconsequential things.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
It would be difficult to come up with stupider names for spells. I agree with the guy who said simpler is better.

Chanters sound like an interesting take on Bards. I like all of the class concepts that have been revealed so far except for the PoE Paladins which are stupid and should just be called something else.

Rake

Arcane
It would be difficult to come up with stupider names for spells. I agree with the guy who said simpler is better.

Chanters sound like an interesting take on Bards. I like all of the class concepts that have been revealed so far except for the PoE Paladins which are stupid and should just be called something else.
D&D Paladins are stupid as a consept, never had a place in PE World, and it was clear from the first time that they wouldn't be "holy warriors". Difficult to pull it off in a world with no objective morality.

Historicaly the word paladin is closer to Josh' version than the D&D lawful stupid one. But i blame the backers for it, for wanting paladins to be in.
But i give you the class names could be changed with no problems, and most of them would be the better for it. Like bards became chanters and psionists became cyphers, and everyone liked them for it.
Classes like gladiator,assassin,berserker,sorcerer,shaman are more fitting than fighter,rogue,barbarian etc. But Sawyer thinks that the majority of the backers want the familiar names for the classes, even if they are nothing like the originals.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Having the name Paladin while having different mechanics fools the majority though.

You should see the majority of fucking posts on Something Awful and the Eternity forums, they're not about mechanics at all - they're all like "I wanna be this guy", "I wanna do this" and discuss a mechanic in an LARPing abstract non-gameplay sense.

I faintly remember having an attitude like that when I was a kid, somewhere along the way though we develop the ability to "see through the game". Looks like a lot of people never learned that, I can't decide if I envy or pity them.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
By the way regarding the progression of the game:

http://www.pcgamer.com/au/2014/04/1...rld-building-magic-psychic-warriors-and-more/

We want to avoid having a bunch of areas that look very samey, and so we've tried to make it so that there’s a sense of progression, going from gothic and renaissance architecture areas in the country, into a bustling city, and later on into a forested ancient kingdom.

Referring to the "Oldsong" Ruin in Eir Glanfath in Update 70

Without getting into too much detail, the Area Designers are fleshing out the end of the game right now and everything is really coming together. The area in the screenshot above looks like the perfect place for a big fight, huh?

These two things among other things seem to support the progression from the Dyrford > Defiance Bay > Stuff > Eir Glanfath/Twin Elms.

The first one supports my theory that major areas will be chapter gated.

Hormalakh

Magister
you make too many assumptions without showing your work. give us links/references to where you're getting this last quote.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What IE game didn't have its major areas plot-gated? This is not a revelation.

Athelas

Arcane
There's some contradictory information. For example:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/18/p...rld-building-magic-psychic-warriors-and-more/
PC Gamer: How will players be able to traverse it besides walking?

Josh Sawyer: It’s pretty much just walking, but we do have a world map much like the Infinity Engine games. We wanted to make a world where if you want just explore from the edge of the map to another map, you can do that. There are a lot of opportunities in the wilderness where you can go from map to map by going to the border and seeing what’s in the next zone. But as time goes by and you want to rapidly travel, we do have the classic type of Infinity Engine map where you’ll click on an icon on the map, and it’ll tell you how long it’ll take to get there, and time will elapse. You might get fatigued, or it might be night or morning when you arrive.

Sensuki

Arcane
That's not contradictory information. All that says that to get to major areas you have to use the interconnected areas first, then once they are EXPLORED you can use fast-travel - exactly the same as the IE games. "In the wilderness" refers to wilderness areas specifically, not major areas.

Reason for posting was there was some discussion pages back about the games progression and some people were like "assume assume" when I said that the Dyrford will be first, Defiance Bay next and Twin Elms last, and the areas will be chapter gated.

you make too many assumptions without showing your work. give us links/references to where you're getting this last quote.

Which one, both are referenced, one just not by a hyperlink (Update 70).

Od Nua first third of the game: http://www.rpgnuke.ru/articles/site/del_vey/interview_rpgnuke_with_josh_sawyer_eng.html

There is a storyline associated with the Endless Paths of Od Nua, but it is separate from the main plot. During the first third of the game, the player will come across the Endless Paths on the critical path

Stronghold is at the end of the first Chapter, quote is from way way back, will need time to find it.

Last edited:

Hormalakh

Magister
there isn't a quote in update 70 that says that. i looked through all the pages. a link straight to it would have saved me from this headache.

Sensuki

Arcane
Hormalakh

Look closer:

wahEBmf.jpg

xJkwb8E.jpg

Above the picture it says: The current milestone is Twin Elms. Twin Elms is in Eir Glanfath, and the designers are working on the end of the game right now.

Combine that with: "and later on into a forested ancient kingdom."

2+2 =

Twin Elms is towards the end of the game and the PC visits the Eir Glanfath area of the map last.

HOWEVER, one of the first areas they worked on was the Animat Factory. I think that area is Eir Glanfath, and is possibly a Chapter 1 area (or just an optional area). As the exterior for that area was the first screenshot released game during the KS (which has since been re-worked).

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
If you want to find the source of a quote, you can just insert the relevant sentence with quote marks into Google.

Sensuki

Arcane
Hormalakh

Yes.

HqlEOxr.png

This is the concept art that the GameCrate article spoke of. It's not as "woah shit" as those guys made it out to be, it's basically just taking the Stegosaurus Dinosaur, combining the back of it with a dragon, and making the adra grow as the spikes.

Can't wait to see the in-game model of it though, it should look p. sweet.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Having some places gated off until later chapters isn't something new for these types of games, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sure, there's never been an IE game where you could, in theory, walk right up to the final boss in the final area directly after chargen and say "sup", like in Fallout or Morrowind.

But I think what some people are worried about is that the game might be very blatantly divided into "Chapter One: You can go to this town, Chapter Two: Now you can go to this town too, Chapter Three: And here's another one!".

No Baldur's Gate game ever did that, other than the one big gating of Baldur's Gate. (a large exception, admittedly)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, like you, I hope that isn't the case. Some places will obviously be locked for story reasons, but I hope we can at least explore, or at least feel like we can explore a lot very early on in the game. Not expecting the type of freedom the Fallout games gave you. I don't mind if we are restricted in "Chapter 1", but it would be nice if exploration was a big part of the game after that point.

Sensuki

Arcane
I think the early game will be more like an Obsidian controlled-experience style (Targos, Peragus>Telos etc) and then it will open up a bit more into a Baldur's Gate-ish style. Chapter 2 will probably open up all or most of the Optional Wilderness Areas and Locations, but stuff like particular Defiance Bay districts, Gilded Vale and Eir Glanfath and connecting wilderness areas will be chapter gated for story and balance purposes.

They may even chapter gate some of the optional areas as well, so that you gain access to the world map in chunks at a time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't think they will gate a single city district after the Blacklake silliness from NWN2 OC.

Sensuki

Arcane
To gain entrance to the upper class area (or Heratige Hill, which I think is dangerous at night?) you may need to do a quest or something, rather than just being allowed through.

D&D Paladins are stupid as a consept, never had a place in PE World, and it was clear from the first time that they wouldn't be "holy warriors". Difficult to pull it off in a world with no objective morality.

Historicaly the word paladin is closer to Josh' version than the D&D lawful stupid one. But i blame the backers for it, for wanting paladins to be in.
But i give you the class names could be changed with no problems, and most of them would be the better for it. Like bards became chanters and psionists became cyphers, and everyone liked them for it.
Classes like gladiator,assassin,berserker,sorcerer,shaman are more fitting than fighter,rogue,barbarian etc. But Sawyer thinks that the majority of the backers want the familiar names for the classes, even if they are nothing like the originals.

True, but the point of giving classes familiar names is to make class selection intuitive to people coming in from other crpgs without familiarity with the current system (if you're going to assume the player already knows your system, then you may as well invent original names). If the name has the opposite effect, it's better to change it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Maybe you missed the last 1175 pages which were about how Josh Sawyer hates everything fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom