Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Backer site overloaded. heh

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
let the cash tidal wave come forth and infuse their souls with its greenish pestilent aroma

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beta is STEAM only, but that won't be the case for the full game as we already know. Only Windows version for now.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Backer portal is now working.

But I can't generate Wasteland 2 key.

Nvm, got the key.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
*Facepalm* at the half-wits posting in the comments, saying they pledged for a Wasteland 2 key in the Torment kickstarter and want to know how to get their key.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Companions do comment on things in the world. Also, each companion's action bar (that appears above the portraits when an individual character is selected) has a conversation icon if you want to just chat with them whenever. It will be disabled during combat.

Incline

Arquebuses do the most damage per shot of the firearms (and are the least-inaccurate) but are the slowest to reload. Pistols do less damage than arquebuses and are less acurrate but reload faster. Blunderbusses reload as fast as pistols and are quite inaccurate -- but they fire 8 projectiles that each do a small amount of damage. If the target does not have much armor and has low Deflection, or if it's from a Sneak Attack, blunderbusses are the most devastating.

The blunderbuss sounds cool. It seems like the other guns won't have some secondary ability/effect to set them apart like all melee weapons do.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The barbarian is about as bad at ranged combat as the ranger is at melee combat (actually worse, since the barbarian's Carnage abilities have no effect with ranged attacks). The wizard isn't good at either and has to rely on the inherent Accuracy bonuses of spells. All three can benefit from having a high Intellect or a high Might, but the classes still do have a focus to them.

No Drizzt rangers, yay.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The barbarian is about as bad at ranged combat as the ranger is at melee combat (actually worse, since the barbarian's Carnage abilities have no effect with ranged attacks). The wizard isn't good at either and has to rely on the inherent Accuracy bonuses of spells. All three can benefit from having a high Intellect or a high Might, but the classes still do have a focus to them.

No Drizzt rangers, yay.
Sadly, no Aragorn rangers, either. Oh, well, I usually give my IE ranger a composite bow, anyway.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
*Facepalm* at the half-wits posting in the comments, saying they pledged for a Wasteland 2 key in the Torment kickstarter and want to know how to get their key.

I think they are confusing getting WL2 from the $80 level backer level for TToN.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey Sensuki check this out: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66...l-backer-beta-and-wasteland-2-keys/?p=1475029

BAdler said:
We chose to make it Steam only because it is easier for us to update all of the builds for the backers. If we went with other platforms it would slow down our planned releases to everyone. Steam also allows us to control the beta so we can remove it once the retail game goes live.

As of right now we are not planning to do Early Access, but this could change in the future. If it does, we will inform you guys.

I'm guessing they're considering offering the game for pre-order one month before its release or something, with the beta as an incentive.

Perkel

Arcane
Hey Sensuki check this out: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66...l-backer-beta-and-wasteland-2-keys/?p=1475029

BAdler said:
We chose to make it Steam only because it is easier for us to update all of the builds for the backers. If we went with other platforms it would slow down our planned releases to everyone. Steam also allows us to control the beta so we can remove it once the retail game goes live.

As of right now we are not planning to do Early Access, but this could change in the future. If it does, we will inform you guys.

I'm guessing they're considering offering the game for pre-order one month before its release or something, with the beta as an incentive.

Basically Early Access.

Sensuki

Arcane
Yeah I read that. By that time the beta would likely be polished enough to avoid mass complaints, and because they're doing a separate release to the full game (perhaps in part due to the thread I created on the forums over there a while ago) the issues that they had with early access may largely not matter.

May as well take advantage of the people that will pay $60+ for early access even if they don't get much for it
:troll:

Sensuki

Arcane
Did anyone here not get the game, but want to get it for $20 usd? They do 3 keys for $60 usd as an add-on, so worth considering group buys I guess. I'm happy to do one.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Looking forward to this but I'm going to wait. My game queue is 300+ hours long right now and I get precious little time. Maybe 10 hours in a good week.

poetic codex

Augur
Beta is STEAM only, but that won't be the case for the full game as we already know. Only Windows version for now.

Judging by what happened with Larian and inXile so far, I wouldn't count on that. It's kind of funny (and kind of sad), how a huge part of these kickstarter pitches was about how they were going to be "DRM free !" ... "down with the evil publishers and their nasty DRM!" Yet, in the end, they all bowed down to Steam.

Sensuki

Arcane
I prefer gog, but Steam is the best client for releasing betas. When GoG Galaxy gets going, hopefully that will be able to provide a DRM-free alternative with the same convenience.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
Judging by what happened with Larian and inXile so far, I wouldn't count on that. It's kind of funny (and kind of sad), how a huge part of these kickstarter pitches was about how they were going to be "DRM free !" ... "down with the evil publishers and their nasty DRM!" Yet, in the end, they all bowed down to Steam.

I think Obsidian worked around that, in that the beta and the actual game release will be separate and use different keys from what I understand

Perkel

Arcane
I think Obsidian worked around that, in that the beta and the actual game release will be separate and use different keys from what I understand

Same thing did Larian but then they decided beta keys will be final keys.
I don't have doubt same thing will happen with PoE keys with ability to cancel those keys and get GOG ones

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Same thing did Larian but then they decided beta keys will be final keys.
I don't have doubt same thing will happen with PoE keys with ability to cancel those keys and get GOG ones

Do have doubt.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66...team-because-of-beta-participation/?p=1469090

Josh Sawyer said:
You will not be locked into Steam because of the Backer Beta. We're using a separate SKU/product for the Backer Beta for a number of reasons.

Josh Sawyer said:
The two most salient are 1) separating the BB from the actual product means it's easier to separate the product platforms when the full game is released 2) the BB is a beta, so it will be full of bugs, possibly crashy, and generally not fully polished. It may also have wild balance issues, exploits, and GUI issues that will (one hopes) not be present in the final game. However, anecdotal data strongly suggests that people playing betas do not evaluate them as betas, but as final products. Accordingly, they trash the product's ratings and give scathing reviews. If the beta product is later "upgraded" to the final product, all of the hooting and hollering done about the beta remains part of the final game. So separating the beta product from the final product appropriately segregates comments and ratings for each one.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Did anyone here not get the game, but want to get it for $20 usd? They do 3 keys for $60 usd as an add-on, so worth considering group buys I guess. I'm happy to do one.
Happily. Somehow I managed to not back the game back then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom