Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official Codex Star Citizen Squadron Thread

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Will there actually be troop action in this game, Blaine ? Eg. boarding other ships. Will there be ships that "house" more than a crew of four?
I'm extremely pleased to be able to tell you that disabling a ship by destroying its thrusters and/or power plant, docking with its airlock, boarding it with a team of armed marines, and engaging in shipboard firefights is a promised feature on release.

Also, "crew" refers to the maximum number of people who can usefully operate the ship's systems; for the Constellation, that means the pilot, two turret gunners, and the launchable snub fighter pilot. It will be able to carry more people than that, though how many more is unknown at this time.

The Idris Corvette has a maximum crew of 10 (plus 2 fighter pilots, if fighters are berthed) and, as you can see below, will carry far more than 12 people. It's described in official materials as being good for boarding actions. The Codex already has one of these, thanks to Admiral Y. Truly.

idrislandedupshot-copxms8u.jpg

MCA
Fucking cool. Well, count me in then. If for nothing else, I'd simply love to board another ship and murder its inhabitants with reckless abandon, or die trying. And to protect my hosting ship under similar circumstances. Though I wonder; will the interior 3D space of ships be separate areas from the 3D space? It sounds like too much shit to process and render at once if the 3D space is unified across everything.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Fucking cool. Well, count me in then. If for nothing else, I'd simply love to board another ship and murder its inhabitants with reckless abandon, or die trying. And to protect my hosting ship under similar circumstances. Though I wonder; will the interior 3D space of ships be separate areas from the 3D space? It sounds like too much shit to process and render at once if the 3D space is unified across everything.

I believe I heard some talk on the livestream indicating that ship interiors will be separate from space, yes, and I know that boarding must be done through designated airlocks rather than any random point on a ship's hull, for technical/practical reasons. You'll still have to cut through the airlock, of course. I presume the two "interior instances" will be linked just as the airlock is breached by the boarding team.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I should mention that once a ship is successfully captured, it can then be repaired and sold off to NPCs (or kept, but "stolen" ships can't be insured). If you use precision strikes to disable a ship's thrusters and high-threat weapons only, it should retain a great deal of its initial value. If you were to capture, say, a Corvette with a team of 4 highly skilled marines, you'd probably get something like 150,000 credits each from the resale, which is enough to purchase a Hornet (top-of-the-line fighter). The credit value I'm using is based on the best comparison we have available.

In other words, there will be tremendous rewards for extreme piloting skill and also for extreme first-person shooting skill.

Data4

Arcane
So naming ideas. We talked about what we'll call the squadron, but how about ships? I haven't decided on what I'm calling my Hornet yet, but it's not going to be something stupid like the SS PwnUrFace.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
So naming ideas. We talked about what we'll call the squadron, but how about ships? I haven't decided on what I'm calling my Hornet yet, but it's not going to be something stupid like the SS PwnUrFace.

Aegis Dynamics Idris-class Corvette
Grand High Space Marshall Blaine "Moneybags" McShillston's Personal Yacht

Roberts Space Industries Constellation (blockade runner)
Aluminum Mallard (Space Quest homage)

Vanduul Scythe (raider/interceptor)
tlhIngan maH! (Klingon for "We are Klingons!" since the Vanduul are the warrior race analogue du jour)

Origin Jumpworks M50 (racer/interceptor)
Dwight Howard

MISC Starfarer (fuel tanker/cargo hauler)
La Piñata

Aegis Dynamics Retaliator (heavy bomber)
?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'm interested. Though I am likely to demo the game for 30 minutes and then drop it.

establish separate forums on a private domain utilizing XenForo software (if desired; we're probably not getting our own subforum on the Codex)
It's available if you want. We set up a private one for H&H. Had about 50 people in there at once before it dropped back to a core of 10 or so.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dedicated forums sounds good, however I doubt it would be needed before at least some parts of the game is released. After Hangar and/or Dogfight alpha is on it would be nice to have a hangout. Can chip in couple of bucks for maintenance costs if required.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
LTI ended on July 6th, but you can still get it as a gift from original or veteran backers, of which there are several here. I personally provided Hoaxmetal with his $30 pledge package and a skin.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Oh. I thought there was something in this thread about needing to purchase before November 26. Oh well..Any consensus on which package to buy to get the most bang for the buck?

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haba, yeah, LTI is hull-specific. So if us oh-so-priviledged backers buy any ships released after launch (or after the LTI deadline) we won't have LTI on it. Same as everyone else.

I think I've read that you can get normal insurance on the mods/equipment of the ship, even if you have LTI on the hull. However, that insurance will depend on the danger level of the system you get destroyed etc. Can't point you to the source though, Blaine should know.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I think I've read that you can get normal insurance on the mods/equipment of the ship, even if you have LTI on the hull. However, that insurance will depend on the danger level of the system you get destroyed etc. Can't point you to the source though, Blaine should know.

Wow, am I late, or what? Haba, there are three distinct categories of insurance: hull insurance, upgrade insurance, and cargo insurance.

Hull insurance is inexpensive and its coverage is valid everywhere, from the heart of empire space to the furthest reaches of lawless space. It covers replacement of your stock ship hull. LTI is merely hull insurance that costs nothing, and otherwise functions identically to the inexpensive hull insurance anyone can purchase.

Upgrade and cargo insurance are each purchased separately. They cost more than hull insurance, and they become progressively more expensive if you desire coverage in progressively more dangerous regions of space. No upgrade or cargo insurance policy will cover losses suffered in lawless space. Also, there's no LTI equivalent for upgrade and cargo insurance.

And no, LTI doesn't matter all that much. A mountain has been made of a molehill in its case.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I have an Aurora LX that has LTI.

The reason I am not upgrading to Aurora LN is because my Aurora LX is one of the few ships that comes stock with a jump drive. That means I will always have a jump drive if I die once I redeem my insurance. I'm more interested in that bonus then actually having the ability to reclaim the LX itself. Especially since all RSI parts are compatible with RSI ships. So I'll always have a jump drive available, whereas if I didn't have an LTI insured jump drive, I'd have to buy a new one whenever my ship gets blown up.

So I think LTI does have certain benefits that may not be obvious at first. Of course, if Jump drives are super cheap, then this wont mean much. But if Privateer is anything to go buy, it took a while to save up for my first drive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom