Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official Codex Star Citizen Squadron Thread

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I meant what is this mythic Golden Ticket? ;)

Had the account been registered prior to 10/10/2012, before Star Citizen was officially announced, it would have a Golden Ticket flair item attached to it which grants you a golden ship decal (not a full-ship skin, but insignia on the nose or some such) in the finished game.

I have golden ticket.

You looking to make some cash? I don't have one, but I want one. You wouldn't need to give up anything but the ticket plus the hassle of transferring your stuff to another account. I have two pre-website overhaul unused original backer accounts registered and waiting dormant for just this sort of transaction.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I have golden ticket.

You looking to make some cash? I don't have one, but I want one. You wouldn't need to give up anything but the ticket plus the hassle of transferring your stuff to another account. I have two pre-website overhaul unused original backer accounts registered and waiting dormant for just this sort of transaction.
You serious? I'll migrate my account now. Should I? Get me on steam.

How does the transfer work? Not interested in cash. I'd like to get this game free though, if not whatever. The ticket didn't cost me anything. :P

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
When your ship is destroyed, it is permanently lost (except for whatever salvage survives in the wreckage) unless you have insurance. If you have standard hull insurance (which is cheap and universally available), then upon the destruction of your ship, you'll receive a stock replacement from the insurance company after a certain period of time. This waiting period is longer for larger/more expensive ships. If you have upgrade insurance (which covers things like stronger weapons, stronger shield, engine mods, jump drive, and so on), then you'll also be compensated for your lost modifications. If you have cargo insurance, then you'll furthermore be compensated for any cargo you lost along with your ship.

Hmm I wonder how much this encourages PvP. Losing your stuff, seems pretty risky after all. We'd probably have to group up and gank others (not very fun for them) or getting ganked ourselves. Also, these insurances seem pretty mandatory.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah... I dearly hope that losses aren't so painful that players are disincentivized to take any risks, and devolve to doing this:

i-37ab72936cd86e397d02ff18a0b0cf66-hermit crab in a glass shell.jpg

Hull insurance is clearly mandatory, yes. Cargo insurance will probably be skippable for combat pilots, while upgrade insurance may be less mandatory for straight cargo haulers. In lawless space, I imagine people will use stock/inexpensive upgrades as much as possible for a while.

It's really hard to say for sure at this point, though. I could be way off base. Also, the game may need time to mature; I played EVE Online for six years, and during my last year the majority of standard/reasonable ships and upgrades were readily available to experienced, competent players, and a loss was a learning experience or simply regrettable, not a kick in the balls. However during its first year or two (I wasn't playing then), losses of even very basic ships were far more hurtful.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Did you see the Organizations system presentation yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5YJDOwil0k
49:00 onwards.

I did. In fact, I already have a few ideas:

52WaJ.png

Code:
RANK | TITLE         | INSIGNIA         | ROLE             | INCUMBENT(S)
===========================================================================================================
O-11 | Fleet Admiral | MENSA t-shirt    | Dictator         | Dark "Never Finished FMF" Underlord
O-10 | Grand Admiral | Scrooge McDuck   | Propaganda       | Blaine "Moneybags" McShillstrom
O-9  | High Admiral  | Tinfoil Tricorne | PSYOP            | Prosper "Crojipjip" de Gibbericci
0-8  | Vice Admiral  | Gown & Tiara     | Morale           | Volourn "Codex Royalty —Jaesun" Windsor
O-7  | Rear Admiral  | 4-ply Charmin    | Marketing        | Morgoth "Day-one Purchase" Tam o' Shanter
O-6  | Captain       | Danish Helmet*   | Internal Affairs | Grunker "The Friendly Ghost"
...  |               |                  |                  |
O-1  | Newfag        | N/A              | GTFO             | anyone who joined past the turn of the century
O-0  | DUMBFUCK!!    | Hiver's Avatar   | Dumbfuck         | Hiver, Skyway

* Danish Helmet: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Danish Helmet

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
You can have custom decals as rank insignia? Plenty of old mission patches that could be repurposed with only slight modifications needed.

yoizP5O.png

Manned Space Docking!

anus_pounder

Arcane
So hows the game and the codex group coming along? Now that I finally got a bit of loose change, I'm interested in it again. Thinking of pledging at the Freelancer level.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
So hows the game and the codex group coming along? Now that I finally got a bit of loose change, I'm interested in it again. Thinking of pledging at the Freelancer level.

The Codex group isn't doing much of anything, largely because there isn't anything much to do. We'll most likely be a fairly small group of people doing whatever they want to do individually, for the most part, unless we decide to recruit minions at some point. Anything organizational will wait until the Dogfighting Module drops at the very earliest.

The Freelancer's a fine ship, other than looking like a robot penis.

Severian Silk

Can this game be played with a gamepad? I played FreeSpace, IWar 2 and Tachyon: The Fringe using a gamepad and a program called Joy2Key. Obviously not all commands map to the gamepad. But the important ones do.

GreyViper

Prophet
- Question 1: Does a F7C Hornet (including Ghost, Recon, and Super variants) with the F7A upgrade pack applied to it allow players to ultimately create a Hornet that is in some way superior to those same craft without the F7A upgrade pack?

- - - - Question 1A: If so, in what way? Please provide all relevant examples.

Answer 1. Yes, the upgrade pack will alter the armor, silhouette, thruster placement, etc. of the base Hornet.

- Question 2: Does a F7C Hornet (including Ghost, Recon, and Super variants) with the F7A upgrade pack applied to it allow players to ultimately create a Hornet that is in some way inferior to those same craft without the F7A upgrade pack?

- - - - Question 2A: If so, in what way? Please provide all relevant examples.

Answer 2. We are still balancing, but the increased armor on the military Hornet will likely decrease the speed of the base model.

- Question 3: Can the paint job (texture skin) on a Hornet with the F7A upgrade pack applied to it be altered to no longer have the same paint scheme as the F7A?

Answer 3. Yes.

- Question 4: Does the F7A upgrade pack tie up any sort of slot (e.g. upgrade slot) when in use?

Answer 4. No.

- Question 5: Can the F7A upgrade pack be removed from and/or reapplied to a Hornet by the player in-game?

Answer 5. Yes.

- Question 6: Since applying the F7A upgrade pack to the Super Hornet does not remove the Super Hornet's second seat, is there a military version of the F7A Hornet that (like the Super Hornet) is a two-seater?

- - - - Question 6A: If there is a two-seater variant of the F7A military Hornet, is the fuselage shaped differently than the Super Hornet? If so, in what way?

- - - - Question 6B: The Super Hornet appears to have a longer wingspan than the F7A. Does a Super Hornet with an F7A upgrade pack applied to it have shorter wingers than a Super Hornet without the F7A upgrade pack? Or does the wingspan remain unchanged?

- - - - Question 6C: The Super Hornet seems to have advantages over a standard F7C (e.g. power plant). Does a Super Hornet with the F7A upgrade repack retain those advantages over a standard F7C that has been modified with the F7A upgrade pack?

Answer 6. We're talking about this now - it hasn't been decided yet. All changes to the Super Hornet (better powerplant, etc.) will still be present with the body kit upgrade.

- Question 7: Is this Veteran's Day offer the only way to get an F7A upgrade pack? Or will the same package be available through in-game means?

Answer 7. It will be available in-game.

- Question 8: Can the F7A upgrade pack be purchased even if you don't yet own a Hornet, and then stored and later applied to a Hornet purchased in-game through credits?

Answer 8. Yes it can.
Guess it was worth getting the upgrade after all, now if only I could snag a Idris. And thanks for the LTI upgrade for the Hornet Blaine .

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah, in essence, the F7A Upgrade is a purely aesthetic alteration that changes the look of the fuselage and alters the ship's silhouette, but has no effect on the base statistics of the ship. It increases armor at the expense of speed/maneuverability I suppose, but in my view that's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Can this game be played with a gamepad? I played FreeSpace, IWar 2 and Tachyon: The Fringe using a gamepad and a program called Joy2Key. Obviously not all commands map to the gamepad. But the important ones do.

Gamepads will supported natively, along with HOTAS (joystick/yoke, throttle, pedals), mice, keyboards, the Razer Hydra I think, TrackIR, Oculus Rift, and probably others.

Last edited:

anus_pounder

Arcane
So I got the limited sale email yesterday, what do you think? Any of them any better than the 'default' (?) selection? Was thinking of holding out until that shit arrives since they have LTI and all that.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
So I got the limited sale email yesterday, what do you think? Any of them any better than the 'default' (?) selection? Was thinking of holding out until that shit arrives since they have LTI and all that.

Note that many of the ships on offer will not be complete game packages (alpha and beta access, downloadable copies of the game, digital manual/blueprints, etc.), but only individual ship add-ons.

I am beyond excited about the Xi'an Scout and the Banu Merchantman. If I could only choose one small ship to pledge for, it would be the 315p until the Xi'an Scout goes up for sale—at which point I would choose the Xi'an Scout instead.

In EVE Online, even after playing for six years and with access to city-sized dreadnoughts should I wish to pilot them, I still loved the small Covert Ops cloaking scout ships the most. In X³: Reunion, I loved the M5 scout ships the most. I cannot wait for the Xi'an Scout, holy fuck.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Xi'an Scout? It's a full-on exploration ship then? Have the specs been released yet?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Xi'an Scout? It's a full-on exploration ship then? Have the specs been released yet?

What we know about it currently is the following:

Xi’an Scout Unlocked! The Khartu is the light attack craft of the Xi’an military. Contrary to Human ship design, the Khartu doesn’t have a traditional main thruster, instead featuring an array of maneuvering thrusters on articulated rigs. This design allows for incredible agility, making them the bane of UEE pilots, who bestowed the nickname ‘Quark’ because when all of the thrusters are firing, the ship looks like a spark flying through space. The Xi’an Aopoa corporation also manufactures an export model, the Khartu-al, for sale to human civilians as a dedicated scout/explorer. The export model features the same Xi’an maneuvering rig, but control surfaces modified for human use and a more limited armament. (Designer: Aopoa)

Also, the Freelancer is the human ship billed as being exploration-oriented and incorporating Xi'an technology:

Freelancers are used as long haul merchant ships by major corporations, but they are just as frequently repurposed as dedicated exploration vessels by independent captains who want to operate on the fringes of the galaxy. Don’t let some of the alien technology in the cockpit surprise you: the Freelancer’s design owes several of its internal systems to a lend-lease deal with the Xi’an.

Finally, the playable alien ships are pretty obviously "theme ships" that reflect their race of origin. The Vanduul are an aggressive warrior race whose playable ship is a fast, heavily-armed, lightly-armored attack raider; the Banu are well-known peaceful traders whose playable ship will be a merchantman; while the Xi'an are Cardassian-like (right down to being reptilian, though the Banu are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles rather than snakes) "warriors of subtlety" specializing in infiltration and subterfuge, thus an advanced scout ship as their playable ship.

Severian Silk

Will this game be like Minecraft, where you have a bunch of miniservers? Or will it be like a regular MMO?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom