Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Norfleet

There's no bleeping way I am downloading the full client just to discover I am 'outside the area of coverage' or whatevs. That bleep takes, like, half a day or so and slows my net to a crawl. >.<
You shouldn't have any difficulty logging into the game. If you run into any problems, I can easily fix them. Bypassing Internet censorship is sort of a specialty with me, anyway.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Now that's kind of awesome. I never managed to get far in the reps because after a while I just couldn't force me to do that many STFs every single day. The same kind of happened with Fleet stuffies, I got a core and a few consoles and then was, like, fuck this bleep, I am Doffing my way to endless dilithium and buying pretty clothes instead.
I never finished Omega or Nukara rep before that, i just couldn't bring myself to that tedious grinding on Defera. But now? Go to the Borg sector and fight one sector encounter per day for easy 50 marks. If you are lucky someone else already killed the mobs when you arrive and you just have to cash in. Dyson with a battle cloaked ship can often be done without fighting a single enemy, since activatiing something doesn't decloak you there, Nukara as mentioned above and for Undine you have to play one game of Clueso. Only Romulan rep can be a little more effort, since you either have to wait for an alert on the ground, do a slightly longer sector defense or hunt rabbits. Rabbits don't benefit from the daily bonus and require at least on doff mission before payout. If you manage to log in quick you can even profit from the upcoming marks event, just don't open the reward boxes yet.
:keepmymoney:

Drakron

Arcane
Only Romulan rep can be a little more effort, since you either have to wait for an alert on the ground, do a slightly longer sector defense or hunt rabbits.

Nope, you can just do the Staging Area and that counts, it just longer but any of the New Romulus areas missions will work.

Stokowski

Arcane
Once you get level 2 or 3 Rom rep you can do the Mountain Pass instance, which is short and sweet, as a daily. Better than any of the tedious outdoor options.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Only Romulan rep can be a little more effort, since you either have to wait for an alert on the ground, do a slightly longer sector defense or hunt rabbits.

Nope, you can just do the Staging Area and that counts, it just longer but any of the New Romulus areas missions will work.

Staging area can be a pain in the ass if you arrive during rush hour, but probably the easiest always available method. If you are lucky an alert pops up and you can get your marks just by standing inside the target area while the others work for you.:smug:

Once you get level 2 or 3 Rom rep you can do the Mountain Pass instance, which is short and sweet, as a daily. Better than any of the tedious outdoor options.
Is that the super secret romluan listening post? Takes longer than staging area but certainly an option if you prefer to fight instead of running around like a retard. Rabbit hunting is still imho the best optshun, IF you group for it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
  • Trait: On activating Beam skill, gain 2% Beam damage for 20 sec. Stacks x3.
vs
  • Trait: On activating Cannon skill, gain +1 Turn Rate, +1 Inertia for 20 sec. Stacks x3.
How is ANYONE going to manage to activate either skill type more than once per 15 seconds tho? Not to mention +1 Turn Rate seems more than just a tad bit better than +2% damage.

Also, Aux2Bat might have just gotten even better:
  • Trait: Activating any Engineering Bridge Officer ability gives 100% dodge chance with 20% deflect for 3 seconds.
That's a pretty complicated way of doing a "take 20% less damage" effect.

Norfleet

It gets better than that. Since FAW's GCD is actually 20 seconds, you'll never get more than x1 since it takes time to reactivate.

The entire crafting system is just a mill for vendortrash, too. Doffing was nerfed exactly the way I predicted it would be. The new UI is terribad and nonfunctional.

Everything is shit.

Vaarna_Aarne

Can you elaborate on the doffing changes? Or is it really just as simple as the removal of exploration clusters?

Norfleet

Can you elaborate on the doffing changes? Or is it really just as simple as the removal of exploration clusters?
Nope, the exploration clusters are basically completely removed. This means: No Department Head availability, no bridge availability, no ability to access your account bank to pull out the supplies you need to do the missions, no ability to get to the bridge to actually DO those missions...and that's just the clusters.

The UI isn't an improvement either: You can't filter your doffs by rarity and desirable traits, you can't even SEE their traits...the screen contains less information...the missions are a jumbled, unsorted mess where you can't spot at glance which section contains the missions you're looking to do...

It is simply shit. Nobody likes it. There are absolutely no positive reactions whatsoever to this. Even the S7 mineral nerfs were more popular than this. The only thing preventing a riot at the moment is that only a minority of players actually doff at all.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lifetime subs on sale for TWO HUNDURED DORRARU!!

If they made it 100 I might consider it. Although buying a lifetime sub at this point in the game's lifespan is probably a really dumb idea, it's over 4 years old already, don't MMO's last only about 5 usually?

Vaarna_Aarne

If they made it 100 I might consider it. Although buying a lifetime sub at this point in the game's lifespan is probably a really dumb idea, it's over 4 years old already, don't MMO's last only about 5 usually?
Depends entirely on how well they do in terms of moolah. STO is supposedly one of the more succesful ones these days, so it's doubtful they'll pull the plug anytime soon.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Well I'm sure it's no EVE or World of Whorecraft... But then it's not a colossal failure like Star Wars:TOR either. The lifetime thing might have been a really good idea a few years ago, especially with DAT STIPEND

Norfleet

Considering you barely play, you're not exactly getting a lot of value out of LTS. In fact, at the rate at which the game is circling the drain, even if it doesn't outright fold, you certainly won't be playing that long.

Take a look at it things this way: I used to try to get people I thought might be interested in this kind of thing to play. Nowadays, I tell them, "Well, I'm playing this one thing, but I can't honestly say I want to inflict it on you.". I've gone from recruiting people to telling them to avoid the place.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
You could always become a filthy traitor and join us in the cozy hell called Neverwinter. Plenty of ways to farm and not having fun, sounds right up your alley! :obviously:

Vaarna_Aarne

I'd still say if we are to beat No Win just to prove that we can, we first need to have a post detailing the plan of attack so people can read it beforehand as many times as they want/need, and then we need to agree/have Norfleet declare upon a time.

(Also one reason why for example yours truly is more traitorous at the moment is that I've cleared the rep on my non-mule STO alts, while in Neverwinter I still have more than two weeks of work to clear the newest campaign with all my alts)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
you do squat with the stipend, it's just spare change.

It's worth a shitload of dilithiumz, or save up a few and you can buy an intergalactic furfag ship or somesuch.

Considering you barely play, you're not exactly getting a lot of value out of LTS. In fact, at the rate at which the game is circling the drain, even if it doesn't outright fold, you certainly won't be playing that long.

Take a look at it things this way: I used to try to get people I thought might be interested in this kind of thing to play. Nowadays, I tell them, "Well, I'm playing this one thing, but I can't honestly say I want to inflict it on you.". I've gone from recruiting people to telling them to avoid the place.

Well let's be honest, you don't exactly "play" this game either. In fact, I'm not sure there is a word for what you're doing. Maybe you "suffer" or "endure" the game is the closest. Languish in this game? I've been away for a year or so, and haven't been playing that much since I came back, since the fleet retardation set in. Not that the fleet is retarded, but the introduction of the bases turned this from "vaguely Star Trek-themed MMO without the soul-crushing grindfest of other MMOs", to just "vaguely Star Trek-themed MMO".

Anyways I used to play STO more than anything else, probably more than all other games combined at the time. So yeah, might have been worth it back then. Especially since you got a lifetime sub to CO too then. Not sure if that's still the case, they don't mention it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
500 zen per month.
come again?

500 x 4 = 2000. That can get you a ship.

Also, 500 > 0.

Even if you grind like a complete aspie, you can still only refine 8k dilithium per day. So just over 50 Zen. Unless you're a super-asspie and get 8000 per day on several characters.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
We actually got rid of the grindfest recently.

Only for the base. The reputation/mark system is still there and still retarded. I know they made it less grindy recently, but the old system of getting gear that's not terrible was much better.

1. Blow up many Borg in STF.
2. Collect rewards
3. Talk to dudes on DS9 and get requisition.
4. Choose the exact beam/cannon you want.
5. Profit!

Norfleet

Even if you grind like a complete aspie, you can still only refine 8k dilithium per day. So just over 50 Zen. Unless you're a super-asspie and get 8000 per day on several characters.
I wouldn't say doing the catfood mill is particularly "asspie", plus, apparently the DSM-VI has disavowed the existence of such a thing. Current output on main account is 256K/day, which exchanges at present rates to about 1.6K/day. Far more than 50.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I wouldn't say doing the catfood mill is particularly "asspie", plus, apparently the DSM-VI has disavowed the existence of such a thing. Current output on main account is 256K/day, which exchanges at present rates to about 1.6K/day. Far more than 50.

Yeah, like I said, we are talking normal people here. Maxing out 1 to 2 characters a day is enough for most. Not enough as in enough minerals, enough as in all that we can tolerate. Also there is no DSM VI, only up to 5 so far. But it's all bullshit anyway, our resident medical expert, HHR! told me so.

The old system was fucking horrible and it took forever to get gear. The new one is a fuckload better.

The old one took about a week to get your ship equipped with decent weapons. Now it takes several weeks to reach the top tier in any reputation, and only then can you actually start buying stuff. Unless you count the random stuffies you get in reward boxes which are 98% useless and the other 2% of the times it doesn't match your current loadout. Plus shooting Borg is easy as shit, getting constantly surprise-exploded by Undine planet killers and having to listen to that DAMN UNSKIPPABLE VIDEO is far worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom