Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The old Borg weapons are piles of shit compared to what you get with rep, and stuff you can buy the equivalent of on the Exchange for pocket money (or by Norfleet standards, a fake dime). The only real loot that still matters from the old system was the non-Borg Set gear, and those are VASTLY easier to get now.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The old Borg weapons are piles of shit compared to what you get with rep, and stuff you can buy the equivalent of on the Exchange for pocket money (or by Norfleet standards, a fake dime). The only real loot that still matters from the old system was the non-Borg Set gear, and those are VASTLY easier to get now.

I still haven't found anything to match my old Borg phasers, apart from the biomole ones (and even then only when fighting Undine). Still using those bad boys from years ago.

Vaarna_Aarne

That just means you haven't even taken a look around the Fleet store. Advanced Fleet weapons already made the Borg weapons obsolete a long time ago.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I have. But you weren't talking about that, you talked about the stuff you get in the rep system. Apples with apples. The rep system replaces the DS9 system. The fleet shop is something totally different. And don't even get me started on how long it takes to get enough FC for something decent there.

Vaarna_Aarne

In case of rep weapons, the Romulan plasma weapons are superior to Borg weapons.

And FC is not hard to get.

The main difference between the old and the new systems is that it could take hundreds of STFs to get the Set gear of your choice before, now it takes a set amount of time and it's easy to get exactly what you want.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Romulan Plasma weapons are Plasma, not phasers.

Yes it takes a set amount of time, and then also doing a lot of STF's to get your dil and marks.

It's not hard to get fleet credit, it's just tedious to get enough to actually buy something in the crazy expensive fleet store.

Vaarna_Aarne

And of course, because the old Borg weapons have nothing special to them anymore, you can get equivalent weapons for pocket money on the Exchange. Getting high-end gear is considerably easier now regardless of how one looks at it.

So I rolled up a KDF Romulan. Haven't played this in 4 years, but my hilariously optimistic lifetime sub means I have a shitload of jewgeld to play with. And thanks to the advice from this thread I didn't waste my level 40 ship token (SERIOUSLY, THANKS!!) and am now almost 50. Let the grind begin!

Mind inviting me to the Codex Fleet of Unpronouncability? Lana@Vethantis

Norfleet

If you're a lifer, you don't need to worry about that, as you are already a Gold member and can thus proceed with impunity. And even if you were out for 4 full years, 500 x 48 is a measly 24K Jewgold...not a lot.

They only started giving the 500/month after they went ftp, so more like 16k. Not a lot to a Master of the Mill like your esteemed self, but enough to get a few nice things that I otherwise would not spend realpotato on (hellloooo, scimitar)

Vaarna_Aarne

And if I remember things correctly, with Scimitar you'll want the 3/3 pack due to the console set.

Also, for lower tier ships you'll want to take a look at the one with the damage -> shield heal console and the Nausicaan Destroyer with Plasmonic Leech (don't leave home without Plasmonic Leech).

Vaarna_Aarne

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/6001993-crafting-systems-part-2

Some of the new items and shit. The things to actually note is TRB making a comeback and possible 360 degree beams (relevant to DBB FAW cruisers I guess...), but most importantly (at least by what I can tell) these two possible Mods for weapons:

• Beams:
    • [Over] – This mod gives all of its weapons’ attacks a small chance to trigger a free Beam Overload for the next beam weapon that fires.
  • Cannons:
    • [Rapid] – This mod gives all of its weapons’ attacks a small chance to trigger a 4 second duration Cannon Rapid Fire buff.
The cannon one seems to be potentially hilariously OP.

Vaarna_Aarne

My first impression to the concept is really that the wide angle seems to contradict the purpose behind using DHCs in the first place, in that it lowers the damage.

Also, I'm kinda miffed that they're lifting the crafting system from Neverwinter, EXCEPT not the super-cool part which is a category solely for churning out near daily cap of Dilithium and bucketloads of Energy Credits.

Norfleet

You're assuming the effects of FAW and Overload will stack?
Nope. What I'm assuming will happen is that you will FAW, and this will cause Beam Overload to pop up. But FAW has priority, as seen in special episodes where you have Worf-based FAW, so you keep FAWing. Then, as your FAWing dies down, the next beam shot you fire is a BO, but you get this free, without having to interrupt FAWing and render the rest of your beam weapons useless for 15 seconds.

Norfleet

Probably. We haven't actually SEEN this.

Also, we totally need to get onboard with this new STF thing. It works like old-fashioned STF, only with one catch: One person, randomly selected by a computer, will be designated the TROLL: This person's job is to, without informing the others of it, attempt to intentionally cause the mission to fail. Everyone else must prevent this while completing the mission. You will learn more about STFs and how to counter such things when you encounter them in public than you ever have.

Norfleet

It's like a regular STF, except one player is appointed secretly and at random to try to sabotage the mission. They might decide to sneak off and blow the wrong side, train cubes, pretend they're competing in the World Cup, or whatever. Everyone else's goal is to foil them and win anyway!

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I've played many missions like that. Especially in the old-skool Crystal Catastrophe (before it was made 3000% easier). Only I don't think anyone was selected to be a saboteur, they were just completely incompetent or TROLLing on their own.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
So if I screw up no-fun-scenario, I can just say: "The computer randomly picked me to sabotage you guys!"? :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom