Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Most freeshards didn't implement expansion stuff. So Hungry Ostriches were usually a rare sight, reserved for some showoff GMs. Ah, I feel nostalgia coming up.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Nah, I am good. I have been around long enough to know that those memories are actually an idealised version of what really happened. That's why I haven't bothered reinstalling SWTOR; I KNOW the game has no redeeming qualities, regardless what my memory wants to tell me.

I am actually surprised you haven't posted a picture of our heroic adventures yesterday. Son I am disappoint.

Stokowski

Arcane
For which some of us are thankful.
:dead:

Anyway, started a Rom for shits and giggles.

1. I thought Romulans were supposed to be Machiavellian and ... y'know ... interesting. What the fuck is this Unificationist shit we're expected to go along with? :incloosive:

2. My power systems only add up to 160 rather than 200. Is that because of the Singularity engine being fundamentally different from Fed/KDF power units?

3. Do I go Fed or KDF? Both seem like bullshit but I'm guessing KDF has cooler ship choices, more dil-making Doffing, and worse uniform choices. Yeah?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
1) Unificationist thing goes back to TNG. Also something Spock was a fan of. Don't diss or Spock will beat you up.

2) Yes, Warbird power levels are different from normal starships. And yes, it's due to the fact Warbirds get 1) BCloak on all Warbird types, 2) Singularity powers. This is also why Warbirds don't get usual ship class special features, namely Cruiser auras.

3) Romulans use only Romulan ships for endgame, so anything Captain and below is what you're looking at based on alliance chosen. Mostly it means "cash or EC?" for Plasmonic Leech, since unlike Romulans most of the Good Shit for Fed and KDF is endgame or ship-bound. Boff selection isn't that important since Romulan boffs are already wayyyyy better than any other boffs. Romulans also have only one uniform choice determined by alliance (both suck), so you'll probably either stick to the standard Republican Fleet uniform, get the Z-Store old school Romulan Star Empire uniform, or if you have the Veteran reward use the Romulan Republic swagger-coat (best way to denote yourself as the captain, seeing how those shoulder pad rank things look terribul). So yea, the real choice between the two factions is down to either: 1) Canonfaggotry (a Romulan agreeably working alongside the KDF post-TOS?), 2) You want to use Fleet Elite Disruptors instead of Romulan Plasma Disruptors, 3) Marauding.

Stokowski

Arcane
1) It goes that far back? I better keep my eyes open; local TV is partway through season 3. But I'm not sure how frightened I should be of something that came out of Winona Ryder's vagina (damn you, JJ!).
2) Okay.
3) Thanks for the rundown. Suspect I'll go KDF ... hmm ...

Vaarna_Aarne

Romulan dissidents have been a thing since Season 1 (or was it 2, can't remember when the defector Romulan admiral episode was), which is understandable since Romulan Star Empire was probably almost like Cardassia in terms of being a repressive society where people vanish in the night for no given reason. After all, details that are known is that infants with birth defects of any sort are immediately terminated, and political power was concentrated only among a select few families who formed the Senate. Not to mention by the time STO starts, the destruction of Romulus and Sela's regime have only made everything worse. So all in all Romulans pulling a Cardassia after all the shit they've been through in the extended timeline makes a lot of sense.

(D'Tan himself is a minor child character from the Unification two-parter in TNG)

Davidshky

Scholar
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18308941

Beam Overload:
  • Beam Overload attacks are now always a Critical Hit.
    • Their tooltips have been updated to indicate that they always Critically Hit.
  • Beam Overload no longer drains Weapon Power.
  • Beam Overload's base damage has been reduced by 25% under the hood.
    • Its damage will be higher on average due to 100% Critical chance.

Wtb CrtDx3 AP DBB for my romulan character.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'd still wager that FAW is the better choice due to most fights in PvE taking place against large numbers of ships (and it might still get more damage done against a single target as well).

Drakron

Arcane
I'd still wager that FAW is the better choice due to most fights in PvE taking place against large numbers of ships (and it might still get more damage done against a single target as well).

I prefer single target attacks, BO is now a viable choice, the main point its now a always crit power meaning builds that dont just pile Crit chance can now have a reliable spike attack, builds that were already into high crit chance have no real use for it, at least that is what I gather.

Also what Davidshky didnt mentioned was power drain was also removed from Lance powers, this means your Guramba's Javelin will not drain your weapon power.

Vaarna_Aarne

I think the real thing to note from this is:

The desirability of the new [OB] beams just got a lot bigger (assuming they can be procced by FAW).

Bliblablubb

Arcane
As far as I remember, BO is/was not that useful compared to FAW in PvE, because enemies are plenty and have huge amounts of shields. In PvP however, a well timed BO while HY torpedos are on the way was a pretty good strategy. I don't think the changes to BO affect that, but I am certainly not an expert on PvP.
For Romulans the guaranteed crit isn't a big deal, since we already come with an ungodly high crit chance to begin with. As long as FAW can crit, I will stick with that. But as Drakronia said, for chars with less crit chance it might be a good choice. Huh, that's the second time I agree with him now...

Norfleet

BO was not that useful compared to FAW in PvE for simple reasons: BO fires only ONE beam, leaving any others on your ship sitting there uselessly. This is why ships which used BO at all carry only one beam. Plus, the energy drain would then neuter the effectiveness of other weapons. In PvP, this is acceptable because if you vaporize your opponent, it doesn't matter how many DPSes you lose. In PvE, there are always more enemies.

Vaarna_Aarne

To remind everyone, we are back at doing Ground STFs in good long slogs through. And that includes IGE with optional (still waiting for the first time we do that WITHOUT one of my medic-tanks tho).

Drakron

Arcane
ALERT!

BUY NOTHING! I repeat BUY NOTHING!

Mk XIV gear and T6 ships coming.

Davidshky

Scholar
Someone found some sort of incomplete upgrading feature so it's possible we'll have the ability to upgrade our old equipment to Mk XIV

Davidshky

Scholar
Here's what it looks like.

9gjWlay.png

Type "/upgradeitem" in chat to open it.

Norfleet

It's possible. But I'm with Drakron: BUY NOTHING. Given that I usually make fun of Drakron, when I agree with Drakron, you should definitely follow.

Vaarna_Aarne

It'll probably end up being something similar to the Reinforcement Kits they're introducing to Neverwinter (use a crafted one-shot item to upgrade stats on a piece of gear; using a new one-shot item cancels the effect of the first one-shot item). No way are they going to scale everything to have a new tier (whatever happened to MK XIII? Americans can't be THAT superstitious), people with Zen ships would riot.

Norfleet

Odd-mark gear has always been rubbish. MK XIII will be the equivalent of MK XI gear today, while MK XII drops to the worthless vendortrash level that MK X presently occupies.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I wonder what will be the STO equivalent of the dragon egg, the rare item aquirered from zen booster packs, and required for all top tier crafting stuff. Will it drop in STFs, or will they go full pay2win by having it only in the store or lockboxes? IIRC my eggs came only from the free booster packs at lvl30 and do not appear in nodes. I wouldn't be surprised if STO follows suit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom