Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Davidshky

Scholar
And I'm willing to spend as much EC I can afford which would currently be around 150 mil + whatever my current stockpile of contraband is worth (I guesstimate 15 mil).

AND I have another batch of tau dewa aid missions that will finish in 2,5 hours which should hopefully give me some valuable doffs to sell.

Also, just to make sure. We're getting the dil in the form of uncommon unreplicatable materials that we can then turn into 1000 refined dil each right?

Norfleet

Correct. Meaning, you get the FC as well. This stuff would ordinarily be sold at like 500K per unit, perhaps more, but for you guys, I ask only for cash out value. Bargain!

Well, how much time are you going to give this offer? I'll get the next stipend soon, so I'd be willing to put down some keys.
Offer has no definite expiration date, it'll last until I manage to liquidate all 100M+ or some other drastic, unforseen event occurs. This could take awhile. In fact, you can trade the stuff for any reason. Maybe you just want it for personal use. What you do isn't really my concern. I'm just offering it at firesale to anyone I know and like. The beauty of Unco is that Unco does not care what you do with the minerals after.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Stupid question: are the high level Phaser/Antiproton/Tetryon ground weapons and armor addons supposed to look like they are covered in quicksilver, or is my game missing textures somehow? My Fed toon looks like confused T-1000.

Subject37

Educated
I vote to proceed with SB5 on both sides. All of my toons are sitting on huge stockpiles of FM and dil, and I currently have something like 150m EC sitting in my account bank. I have plenty to contribute.

Also...I was poking around Tribble last night to get more details on what upgrades my various ships might get were I to take them to T5U, and I learned that the vet ships are all getting a 5th tac console. Seriously reconsidering whether I want that Mat'ha now.

I was disappointed to see that the D'D gets another engineering slot as opposed to a 4th tactical. Because that's what the D'D needs, more tank.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I was disappointed to see that the D'D gets another engineering slot as opposed to a 4th tactical. Because that's what the D'D needs, more tank.
Tell me about it. I am so indoctrinated by Norfleet's "the more tac consoles the better",´that I consider everything below 4 tacs a powerless spaceamoeba. Considering that the Romulard's lower powerlevels mean relying on alpha strikes rather than sitting it out, a 3 tac DD is a letdown. But it's called the romulan Failaxy for a reason.
I know how it feels to be torn between traveling in style with a mighty Double-D... or just vaporize everything fast with the Pirate-anchor. With the Fart Intelbird being a flat upgrade to that, the gap towards the DD has become even bigger for me. :(

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Look at that, just yestarday I've installed the game inspired by DS9 and there's a thread here on that. Just a couple of questions, because I'm thinking about uninstalling it here and now.
-Does the writing get better? The beginning is very weak, I was really turned off by them using The Borg as space shitmobs.
-Does it get harder? The beginning is typical MMO boring crap (it's tutorial mission so duh) but the system shows some promises. There again it's score is pretty low on mmorpg.com so it may be shit
-How P2W is it?
-How does in compare to NVN? It's by the same developer after all, and I have both installed.

Norfleet

Look at that, just yestarday I've installed the game inspired by DS9 and there's a thread here on that. Just a couple of questions, because I'm thinking about uninstalling it here and now.
Highly recommend doing just that. Turn around and walk away. The good times have long since passed and it's well on its downward slope now. You've got nothing to lose at this point: Just walk away.

-Does the writing get better? The beginning is very weak, I was really turned off by them using The Borg as space shitmobs.
It gets worse. What you're experiencing at the beginning is the "new" writing. You will take a dip into the inconsistent depths of the OLD writing next, and then you will return to that. Again.

-Does it get harder?
Nope. Gets easier and more faceroll as you go along and get more buttons to push, where basic gameplay revolves around pushing them as often as possible. At the end of the day, it becomes you, face down on the keyboard, literally facerolling the opposition. A challenging game this is not.

The beginning is typical MMO boring crap (it's tutorial mission so duh) but the system shows some promises. There again it's score is pretty low on mmorpg.com so it may be shit
It is.

-How P2W is it?
Not very. There are ways around all the P2W. It can even be profitable. I know I'm certainly making money as I LEAVE.

-How does in compare to NVN? It's by the same developer after all, and I have both installed.
Well, I was too turned off by NW to even touch it. So, probably not as bad, but still pretty bad. God help you if you run into any issues. The customer support is nonexistent. I get better support out of the Chinese Gold Farmers.

I highly recommend the Chinese Gold Farmers in STO.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I suggest ignoring Norfleet being bitter about this game because he hates fun and.. reasons.
Instead play it until lvl20 or so. If YOU consider it not being fun you can still quit.

- P2W is not an issue if you don't plan on becoming a PvP pro
- Compared to NWO it's slower paced and more story driven through single player missions instead of open areas
- Puttin the Borg in the beginning is a stupid idea, but they won't return until late in the game after that
- The game is a standard MMO living of the Star Trek bonus, don't pretend that other MMOs to have good writing

Stokowski

Arcane
Early-game combat is boring because you have too few options.
Late-game combat is boring because you have too many options.
But, y'know ... spaceships!

NB: I second Blib's views.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
If the combat gets harder? Of course it does. Enemies get bloated hitpoints to make fights last longer and you get more abilities with your bridge officers to counter that. You have been fighting the equivalent of rats in a newbie area so far. A few posts up ekl complained about blowing up, so that should give you a hint about enemies not being one-shots after a few levels. ;)

Of course they get easier lategame again on normal difficulty, since they are made for the average player and not the overpowered overgeared powerhouses we all end up eventually.
There is always STFs at (the future) elite diffculty to blow up if you need to feel weak.

Subject37

Educated
Then I guess I won't uninstall it yet. But you didn't say anything about the combat.

Combat is easy and button-pushy for the most part like Norfleet said. I can solo a Borg cube in my ancient Excelsior-class starship, something I shouldn't be remotely able to do (in fairness though that ship is decked out with top-tier gear). There's a big update coming on Tuesday that is supposed to significantly up the difficulty, but we'll see. Ground combat is terribad. I generally avoid it unless I'm forced to do it as part of a mission or we've got a Codex group running STFs.

Writing is hit-or-miss. Some of the older stuff is terrible (the Cardassian arc comes to mind), but I like a lot of the newer content. I enjoyed the Romulan Republic arc from beginning to end. I think it may have been the first arc in STO where I actually cared about the story and wanted to play the next mission just to see what was going to happen. The newest "Delta Rising" arc that is coming up will include voicework from the majority of the actors from Voyager if that matters to you.

The game is also getting steadily more complex. The starships themselves are now getting the ability to level up and gain new abilities as they do so. We're also getting a level cap increase and new "trait packages" that will allow greater customization for captains. All of this added complexity may push away some filthy casuals, but I like it because I've been playing for a while and things were getting stale.

Having said all that, I like this game primarily because I'm a huge Star Trek fan. I wouldn't be playing it if it were some generic spaceship MMO.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I can solo a Borg cube in my ancient Excelsior-class starship, something I shouldn't be remotely able to do (in fairness though that ship is decked out with top-tier gear).

Good thing you added that, I already wanted to call you out on most likely having gear worth several 100k potatos commanded by a pimped out captain. ;)

I enjoyed the Romulan Republic arc from beginning to end. I think it may have been the first arc in STO where I actually cared about the story and wanted to play the next mission just to see what would happen next.

Amen to that. Aside from some obvious filler missions later, that arc really draw me in. I especially liked the small details, like the DOFF (Rin?) you can get during the horta mission, IF you played the tutorial (she regognizes you). I rechecked it and she is really there. She has no name over her head, but you can see it if your chat displays NPC chatter.

Subject37

Educated
Good thing you added that, I already wanted to call you out on most likely having gear worth several 100k potatos commanded by a pimped out captain. ;)

And it is an Excelsior. I love that a ship that probably should've been decommissioned long ago in STO instead ends up being one of the best combat cruisers in the game. The way it infuriates some people (especially Galaxy pilots) never stops being amusing. Still...any single starship shouldn't be able to take on a Borg cube alone. The Borg are definitely suffering from an advanced case of villain decay in STO.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Someone at craptic has a massive hardon for the Excelsior obviously. All other popular canon ships are massivly underpowered (DD, Failaxy) in favor of their own designs. The free Ambassador from the recent giveaway is even better than my Sovereign. :decline:
That puzzles me actually, since the massive demand for a "good" version woud mean a big sale with minimal effort. Well, at least they didn't bring the T5/6 connie (yet).

Norfleet

If the combat gets harder? Of course it does. Enemies get bloated hitpoints to make fights last longer and you get more abilities with your bridge officers to counter that. You have been fighting the equivalent of rats in a newbie area so far. A few posts up ekl complained about blowing up, so that should give you a hint about enemies not being one-shots after a few levels. ;)
But the rats in the newbie area were the hard ones! I remember those days. Various things like tactics actually mattered.

By the late game, they don't, you're pretty much throwing a ship that will function on autopilot with your face on the keyboard at the enemy. You have more "options". You stack those options to be invincible and mow through the biggest and baddest God-tier enemies of the show singlehandedly like a lawnmover through grass.

If you are a fan of the show, the game shits on your memories of it most of the time. It relies on your early investment to hook you in and keep you. I would like to point out that of all these other people boosting it, they are barely around. I was there. Like I said: If you aren't in yet...stay out. The experience of starting and getting in has gotten steadily worse over time.

Subject37

Educated
If you are a fan of the show, the game shits on your memories of it most of the time.

You want to talk about shitting on my Star Trek memories? STO can't hold a candle to the massive flow of never-ending diarrhea coming from NuTrek. I think I'd rather watch "Final Frontier" and then "Nemesis" back to back 20 times in a row as opposed to having to sit through "Into Darkness" ever again.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Subject37
Very true. I fucking hate movieverse because it's just people who look vaguegly like Star Trek characters living in an universe that uses something that sortof looks like Star Trek props having adventures that have nothing to do with Star Trek. It's just a generic action movie with generic action movie characters that uses aesthetic inspired by Star Trek. Watching it is like playing some old NES game that's just a generic Japanese action game reskined to become a franchise tie-in.

Norfleet

[You want to talk about shitting on my Star Trek memories? STO can't hold a candle to the massive flow of never-ending diarrhea coming from NuTrek. I think I'd rather watch "Final Frontier" and then "Nemesis" back to back 20 times in a row as opposed to having to sit through "Into Darkness" ever again.
To be fair, "NuTrek" officially disowned itself from Trek canon, and as such, has far less impact. It has never claimed to be anything else.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I think I'd rather watch "Final Frontier" and then "Nemesis" back to back 20 times in a row as opposed to having to sit through "Into Darkness" ever again.

What is this "Nemesis" you want to watch? Everybody knows the last Star Trek movie was "Insurrection" before the mirrorverse took over!

Norfleet

I dunno, Insurrection seemed like the Mirrorverse was already taking over. Although I suppose the events depicted aren't too unusual. Seems like 90% of Starfleet Admirals are insane. That's why they let Janeway, a known murderer, join the club.

Subject37

Educated
I dunno, Insurrection seemed like the Mirrorverse was already taking over. Although I suppose the events depicted aren't too unusual. Seems like 90% of Starfleet Admirals are insane. That's why they let Janeway, a known murderer, join the club.

STO has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Starfleet admirals are indeed insane mass-murderers. The sanest people in the entire game are probably the Klinks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom