Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Norfleet

It exists, albeit everyone is dead. Frankly, if you're out, you should stay out. The "exclusivity" rules offer little reason to return at this point. Plus I get to mark down another notch for "persons dissuaded as a result of the 'Fuck You, New And Returning Players' policy". Also, fleet invites are currently borked, so nobody can join anything. yay.

what are these exclusivity rules? i've been playing a bit these last days, even if the game already gave me all it could offer, all i see is more sets to collect.

Norfleet

Stuff from things like the various season events, and whatnot, can no longer be obtained. Ever. In short, if you missed them, there are increasingly large holes in your lineup that you can never fix, and some of these items are mission critical, meaning you can never do those things. In short, once you miss out, there's little point in coming back, your situation will merely continue to deteriorate.

Drakron

Arcane
The biggest one is the Breen Dread and Carrier since not only you cannot get the Breen console set but, more importantly, you cannot unlock frigates since it requires to have the Breen Raider ship that you cannot get so you are stuck with non-frigates thats fucking stupid.

... i must agree.
i'm fine with single pieces being removed because reasons, but making entire sets impossible to complete is really idiotic.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
But won't the Breenboats come back during the mandatory winter grind again? Just like I SHOULD grind double this summer festival, since I didn't collect the 'vette yet.
The only things of value I can come up with that is truly lost, unless Craptic decides to make a rerun, is Cockring's shotgun and the hull heal console (from zombers?), since hull heal abilities are useless now it seems. Everything else ended up in the paystore or comes back after one year, amirite?
Or what other parts are considered so "mission criticool" if I may ask?

In the end it's more of a Pokemon OCD, gotta collect dem all! Aside from the dyson destroyer, I never used any of the event ships except for admirality and maybe the mastery trait.

I am not a carrierfag tho, can't evaluate those boats. +M

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Wait what? Do you mean former grindevent ships can't be aquired next time anymore, meaning I will never be a space corvette owner?
Noooooo! :negative:

Davidshky

Scholar
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/st...trek-online:-agents-of-yesterday-announcement

In case you can't access this page either.

The 50th anniversary of Star Trek is here, and I couldn’t be more excited to announce our contribution to the celebration: Agents of Yesterday, the third full expansion to Star Trek Online!

Agents of Yesterday will allow players to create a new captain in Star Trek: The Original Series era and will set them on an adventure featuring classic story lines, locations, celebrities, and era-appropriate starships. In 2269, the year following the third season of the original series, the player will adventure with Walter Koenig, reprising his role of Chekov, and Chris Doohan, filling in for his father as Scotty. There is a new threat to the security of the Federation, and they are invading with hopes of overwhelming the past to destroy our future.

In addition to the ability to create a brand new Star Trek: The Original Series Starfleet captain, we will be introducing a new episode arc for players of every faction, the Temporal Initiative Resistance Reputation, a Temporal Operative Primary Specialization along with brand new Bridge Officer powers. Players who create their captains during the first six weeks of launch will also be able to participate in the new Temporal Agent Recruitment system for bonus personal and account-wide rewards, a new iteration of the popular Delta Recruitment system that released a year ago. This release is packed with content to keep you engaged in the classic Star Trek: The Original Series era - and beyond.

There isn’t a better way to continue to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Star Trek: The Original Series than by creating a Starfleet captain and engaging in some amazing adventures in that classic period.

This is only the first of many blog posts with detailed information on everything that’s shipping with Agents of Yesterday, so stay tuned and I’ll see you in game!

Stephen Ricossa
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And very unexpected.

I was pretty sure we'd see Cardassians as a new faction when I heard "big announcement." Going so retro was a surprise.

Drakron

Arcane
Been known that Expansion 3 was going to be Temporal for a whole now.

Meh, they burned enough bridges and after Detla Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it, this simply aint going to change much, Cardassion Union would at least attract some people but Delta Rising: The Sequel aint going to do much, Star Trek aint Quantum Leap and Cryptic cannot make a decent tome traveling story anymore, imagine a whole expansion with the same level of writing as the "Idiotic Proven" Arc.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Still no T6 Constitushun, ragers gonna rage.

I might be in the minority, but I actually kinda liked the Derpa Rectum idea last time. Gonna delete one of my storage toons to make a Temporal Rectum fedling. Not going to pay for more character sluts, already have more chars than I need.
TOS costumes on the other hand... guess I might finally have to. :argh:

I wonder if we will get at least some of those TOS ships for frees (as in "grindfest"), or are we just doing ye olde holo disguise again...

My only beef is that they used that ugly "future enterprise" design, only seen in the background in that show everyone wants to forget.

P.S. If they bring back Scott Dorkula for voice acting, im out.

exe

Augur
I'm downloading it, to give it a try. Which servers are you guys on? Do I have to play with other people or can I just go solo? Also which faction you recommend? Gay Feddies or Klingons?

Davidshky

Scholar
There's only one server unless you count the test servers.

There are a lot of missions/episodes that are basically made for solo play and then there are some stuff that you can just run with random morons.

You get three character slots and there are three factions and three classes so don't worry too much about your first character.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
There are a lot of missions/episodes that are basically made for solo play and then there are some stuff that you can just run with random morons.

You get three character slots and there are three factions and three classes so don't worry too much about your first character.
Probably safe to say that all missions/episodes are made for solo play. And if you have done all of those (half of them 3 times, since faction unique missions end at uuh lvl20 or so), you are most likely burned out and have no desire for any group stuff. TBH, I can't even think of any group action qualifying as mandatory or even "worth it" anymore.

I suggest rolling a tac for your first toon btw, best "normal" experience for space combat; -> Moah Dakka.
Sci are about space magic instead of shooting, and engineers just suck at it.

Also: inb4 Norfleet posts: "Abort the download, there is nothing worth doing in this game." +M

Norfleet

Which servers are you guys on?
There's only one server. Nobody else is on it, everyone seems to have fled and I haven't seen them in ages.

Do I have to play with other people or can I just go solo?
You can, and probably will, go solo.

Also which faction you recommend? Gay Feddies or Klingons?
KDF is the mechanically superior faction. Romulans are the most OP, but are not actually a faction. If you pick them, you will see soon enough. Remember that KDF is the mechanically superior faction.

Also, be advise that I won't give you free stuff unless you stick around long enough for me to get used to seeing you. You scrublords are always quit.

I suggest rolling a tac for your first toon btw, best "normal" experience for space combat; -> Moah Dakka.
The game is heavily slanted towards Tac captains, especially as your first, yes.

Also: inb4 Norfleet posts: "Abort the download, there is nothing worth doing in this game." +M
Plenty of things are worth doing. None of those things are things they WANT you to do. My advice is not to play, however, unless you're really serious about this. Because EXCLUSIVITY(tm), and all the stuff you can never have which leaves you permanently crippled and destined to spend the rest of your days playing the Ferrengi Exchange instead.

PITFALLS TO AVOID: When Quinn/Jmpok/Kerrek bugs you to come in to his office on your [Promotion], ignore him and carry on with your business. IT'S A TRAP!

Bliblablubb

Arcane
When Quinn/Jmpok/Kerrek bugs you to come in to his office on your [Promotion], ignore him and carry on with your business. IT'S A TRAP!
There is a PADD lying on the floor in Quinn's office. If he likes you enough he will ask you to pick it up. RUN, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Severian Silk

I've played a few MMOs and they've all been somewhat disappointing, though some were not completely crappy. How does this game compare to those?

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I saw Walter Koenig at a convention recently and the dude could barely hold his head up straight and speak. I can't imagine him delivering a performance with any energy whatsoever. Not that it matters for a stupid MMO. I'll buy it day one.

Norfleet

Why is it a trap?
Because that is for subscribers only, non-subscribers just permanently lose their thing, even if they become a subscriber later. Which is why you put it off indefinitely until you become one. Look, there's a lot of traps in this game. If I had to give you a huge long-winded explanation of each and every single one, just so you could then argue with me, I'd just learn to really hate you. Just learn to back away when I say "IT'S A TRAP!". There's a lot of things you shouldn't do, even and especially when the game says you should, and this is one of those things. Don't do it. The thing to understand about STO is that tutorials lie, tooltips lie, the cake is a lie, and everything the Tal Shiar says is a lie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom