Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think desperation fits.

Seriously, what other game is there that lets you command a big ass space ship as well as explore alien planets on foot?
And does not boil down to an Excel simulator where you need to play for a year or two to get anything worthwhile going if not in a space guild (to exclude EVE).

I continually find myself wanting to play again, just to remind myself that I'd get bored about 8 hours in anyway.

Drakron

Arcane
STO is more of a single player game these days, actually always been due to Cryptic engine being a POS and everything being instanced with a max cap of 20 players at best, there is even a video of when people run CC all in carriers just to show the lag when 20 carriers and their pets are in the map.

Oh instanced AND also level matched since Oblivion scaling to level is such a motherfucking good idea right ... fucking lazy controlling pricks ....

People that "play it" are more and more just seasonal players, they play when there is a new mission out and thats it ... the rest are more DPS race autism were they try to break DPS barriers that have the nagtive effect of Craptic developers autism kicking in and they decide to make everything harder because its a competition of who have the biggest dick or something, honestly playing MMO in general is a very displeasing experience these days as developers either have their heads up their asses or are too busy trying to make what would be a $20 expansion into a $2000 expansion ... anyway ...

Is STO a good game? fuck no ... in 2012 at least it was a playable game but even Vaarna thrown in the towel after being sick of Cryptic repeating the exact same shit over and over again, we have a 10th reputation when people became sick and tired of the thing by the time they added the 6th one, the public queues are dead so what do they do? they add 2 more queues because apparently they arent dead enough ... all because its cheap, making a Space Battlezone is just a question of making a map with some spawn points and timers and its done, its much easier that to create a entire mission (at least a entire STO mission) and the same with the queues and its simpler, cheaper and they wrongly believe they have replayability so this is all we get because they cannot even put out a "expansion" without it consisting of about 5 story missions and thats about it.

STO is nothing but cheap to produce and expensive to acquire nostalgia junk, this is why there are Tier 6 (maximum ship tier) TOS Constitution, D-7 and Romulan Bird-of-Prey in a scam box and you know whats the real kicker on that? Its the other players that enable the $200 ships, its fucking amazing how other players profit because the way those ships are sold is this ... you buy Keys and then you sell the keys or trade then for those ships, you do it because fuck non-advertised chances percentages that are around 1-0.5% as at least you can get the ship or whatever you want, its the curse of F2P games were they try look at Arabian Princes spending $2000 on a game and they expect all players to fucking do it and since the amount of Arabian Princes is very limited, it just leads to having about 30 people playing for a server of 3000 people, game have no growth and its entirely depending on those 30 people staying ... and even Vaarna left.

The game IS shit, this is why I will only say "try it but dont spend money on it unless you really want to keep playing it", there is worst out there but there is also a lot better out there, its good for what is worth and being F2P what is worth is nothing, its a half broken POS mess with often moronic stories and seems hellbent on being the most generic sci-fic that it can be and anything BUT Star Trek that manages to get worst and worst as it further goes, you at least get a laugh at how cheap and shoddy it as its falls apart at the seams.

Yes, its that bad ...

Norfleet

And does not boil down to an Excel simulator where you need to play for a year or two to get anything worthwhile going if not in a space guild (to exclude EVE).
You must be speaking of an entirely different STO, because this sounds exactly like the STO I'm playing. I have an awful lot of spreadsheets for STO.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
What a classic cryptic start for the new season:

- a new battlezone... that doesn't work in most instances, making players fly around in empty space for a few minutes before quitting.
- the return of the frogger game for the anni grind.. except first day's daily quest is already unfinishable, because no particles spawned in the academy.

Result: no marks, no tokens. "No fun" was a bonus, Norfleet probably approves.

Cypric gonna cryptic. Remind me again why I bothered to log in on patch day? :hahano:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, but you are playing it in full autistic mode. You'd probably play Mario Kart with some sheets by your side.
I just play to have fun.

:dance:
STO stopped being fun around Season 5. Or whenever the Romulan shit and starbase shit came in and PVP went out. Now it's just Massive Online Autism RPG #245345669. I blame the chinks that bought the franchise.

Commie bastards drained all the enjoyment out of it and made it a grindfest.

Drakron

Arcane
STO stopped being fun around Season 5. Or whenever the Romulan shit and starbase shit came in and PVP went out. Now it's just Massive Online Autism RPG #245345669. I blame the chinks that bought the franchise.

Commie bastards drained all the enjoyment out of it and made it a grindfest.

Arent you cute ...

PvP have always sucked unless you were abusing the poorly made decisions, such as why KDF had good consoles in a attempt to make people to play KDF so they could sell twice the ships, didnt work (because wasnt the issue), Season 5 was the F2P conversion, Season 6 was Starbases but considering the sheer amount of work whatever was on them didnt come to play until a year later when people started to finish their Starbases.

Romulans didnt kill PvP as much they killed the "old guard" as in the KDF players from back when KDF was the PvP faction and had borken mechanics, PvPers remained ... what killed PvP, actually what shoved PvP in the shed, raped its ass, strangled it and then had its way with its corpse was Delta Rising, that was also from the culmination of decisions made previously that just make it very hard to get in, the laundry list of ship traits, gear, consoles, DOFFs and other shit simply became too large, of course Delta Rising killed a lot of things.

I dont blame PWE entirely for it, to begin the "commies" are ... actually they are in San Fransisco and Cryptic is in Los Angels so its kinda right as they being West Coat Neo-Libs but anyway, most of those decisions appear to come from Cryptic itself, yes ... they sell power in scam boxes, it just got more obvious and worst as it goes along, we just have a complete shit Scam Box with shit ships (they are fucking bad) but there is a valuable thing in them, that is a TMP era Phasers, now its not they are cosmetic only ... oh, no (and this is why I said about selling power in scam boxes), its that their proc is the same as Disruptors except it also for a unexplainable reason (well its explainable, RNG scam box) they also buff your damage resistance, yes ... -10 damage resistance to target and +10 damage resistance to self.

Its shit like that, not they dont fuck up ... as I said the ships are shit, only the NX (yes, Tier 6 NX, its a thing now too) have some value if only for fans of Enterprise that quite frankly should pay 900 Lobi for it just because they are Enterprise fans.

Games evolve, I dont mind the shifting meta as much a shifting meta that comes with $2000 tag on it, Delta Rising was that ... to everyone, game never recovered from it, its not that is worst because its always been kinda shit but because the shit keeps piling up, "fun" is very much ignore being a AUTISTIC and want to be "competitive" on a motherfucking videogame, MOBAs exist for that but if you are a poorfag that wants to be a "whinner" then you better be like Norfleet and know how to break the game in your favor, otherwise ... well IT AINT CHARITY, I will rag in intentional fuck you, pay us design instead of payment of lump sum and thats it but because its a question of honestly, if you are designing to INTENTIONALLY fuck people over unless they pay unreasonable amounts of money for it or create gameplay only 10% of the players can even do ... well fuck you, if you arent giving me something to play dont expect me to pay, if you offer me a ship that is like a free one but looks cooler I might buy but the moment you sell power along with the looks, dont expect you can just backtrack ...

And that is STO, PWE is hardly the only ones to blame ... it started with a company that was using the funds for STO to create another MMO and they died, then Cryptic decided to take on the contract knowing how there was no way to deliver a quality game within that timeframe, then come Atari that comes after Cryptic because they were a easy target and had 2 subscription games they thought could take money from, when Atari reaslized how fucked they were they sold then to PWE that yes, they added scam boxes but its not like they invented the thing and I am sure a lot of the fucktardry in Sto scam boxes comes directly from Craptic itself.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
we have a 10th reputation when people became sick and tired of the thing by the time they added the 6th one
6th? To be honest, I was tired as hell of that stuff already by Dyson, all it was about was figuring out a lazy way to drudge through it by yourself and then repeat it fucking too many times. It shouldn't kill them to make the Rep system account-wide.

And yea, Enterprise fans should pay 900 Lobi as punishment for having bad taste.

Severian Silk

You must be speaking of an entirely different STO, because this sounds exactly like the STO I'm playing. I have an awful lot of spreadsheets for STO.
I play Minesweeper with a spreadsheet.

Norfleet

I play Minesweeper with a spreadsheet.
MInesweeper *IS* a spreadsheet. I've seen Minesweeper recoded in Excel.

6th? To be honest, I was tired as hell of that stuff already by Dyson, all it was about was figuring out a lazy way to drudge through it by yourself and then repeat it fucking too many times. It shouldn't kill them to make the Rep system account-wide.
Well, maybe if you stuck around, and were more open to what I tell you, and weren't such a prissy paladin, you'd get more ENHANCED GRINDING TECHNIQUES.

Now show up and grind or give me all your stuff.

Drakron

Arcane
My enhanced grinding technique is just wait until CC, use it for marks, keep it slotted until Marks Weekend comes and cash in.

The latest one is simply shit, drain and healing ... its entirely worthless.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I haven't even bothered with the new marks at all.
Apparently the elite currency for that rep doesn't drop from the battlezone "boss" anyway, it's only available through queues. Queue numbers will prove it: "Our new queues are the best queues ever and players love it" :hahano:

Just doing the daily mandofrogger for now. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep...

Drakron

Arcane
The new battlezone is half bugged and half moronic design.

Voth Battlezone have Voth being able to recapture zones but there are also mechanics to at least delay them, also their spawn timer is sane ... now when those idiots decided to do the Undine Battlezone they decided to copy the Voth down to the recapture EXCEPT they didnt rework the mechanics, they just allow the spawning of a few Tier I ships (meaning Mirandas) as if those could last longer against the Undine, as long the Undine Battlezone was populated that ididnt created much problems but this is a example of having your head suck up your ass, they never considered underpopulated instances were if you have 5 players its simply unwinnable as zones will flip due to their fetish about adding a timer to everything.

I think I already bitched about designers being so stuck on their "intentional design" that they refuse to address the issues caused when their stupid ideas simply dont work in this tread but thats the new Battlezone were they continue to copy the Voth Battlezone because it was very populated without understanding why it was populated in the first place , worst we have a designer with a fetish for stupid gimmick that allows it to overule the good sense of NOT FUCKING WITH THE PLAYERS, I am sure he is laughing to himself over how smart he is, until the complains and the ignoring of the content comes about and bites him in the ass, like what happened with the Vaadwaur.

My advice is ignore that shit, that fucking thing didnt even worked in the open testing hour ... it still not working and their stupid gimmick just means people will do exactly the same as the Vaadwaur, they will go over the story missions and ignore the shit that is the new Queues and Battlezone, pretty sure we will get a ground one based on that mission but looking at it, I suspect it will be filled with timers and capture mechanics so its going to be just more BS, not worth the aggravation for what is a shit set.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Heh, just saw that PWE has axed LaughingTrendy (the leekgirl). I am honestly surprised she even managed to stay 3 month at that position, considering her idealistic "Ima gonna influence the company for the players" stance...

Welp, let's hope she managed to grab lots of benjamins from them at least and didn't quit on her own. :salute:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Heh, just saw that PWE has axed LaughingTrendy (the leekgirl). I am honestly surprised she even managed to stay 3 month at that position, considering her idealistic "Ima gonna influence the company for the players" stance...

Welp, let's hope she managed to grab lots of benjamins from them at least and didn't quit on her own. :salute:

What was her position and what did she do?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
She used to be the community manager or smth for Cryptic, posting (patch)news on the message board and generally talking to the players. I only remember her because she had to take all the flak and personal insults after the Derpa Raisin debacle, while Gecko(?) went into hiding.

You know the type: popular with the players, because she cares for game and community, while making it seem that Cryptic listens to their problems and "makes" the devs see the error in their ways. And is a womyn. The vaguely nice human face of an evil company with no actual influence on development decisions.
Similar to Rebecca from Warframe, who once got even put in her place during a livestream. :roll:

IIRC she was "promoted" last november to something like senior CM at Cryptic's chinese ovenlord company PWE itself. "Please train your successor before you leave". And judging by her (past) posts and personality, she really believed she would make a difference there, bringing back FUN and stuff. That could not end well.

Now PWE has laid off 30 slaves because... reasons. Probably removing people not in line with the party company agenda from inventory. She was among those.

Well, good luck to her. :salute:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Ah, that explains it. Yeah, either she put up the "corporate front" and said what she was told to or she was very fucking naive. Being community manager can't be an easy job, put between the autistic morons and the company.

Norfleet

The results of sacking Trendy has had greater fallout than you will ever know...valuable institutional knowledge was apparently lost. We're already dubbing it "Trendy's Revenge".

Bliblablubb

Arcane
You sound like a clingy girlfriend: "Why don't you calll meeeeeee?" :cry:

But I am with Aarne there. The game currently offers nothing new aside from moah farming for farming's sake. For a few days I bothered with aquiring upgrade kits, because of the upgrade weekend and stuff. Then I realized I would probably just use them on an alt I never play and stopped caring. I chose to replay the weekly FE with the mothballed TOS toon, because the shitty phaser console is the only reward that could see some remote action at all.

Even the kinda "low" exchange rate for Zen couldn't trigger me, all the new ships look like ass. Aside from having FleetT6s on the main trinity already, so why should I.

No, you cannot have my stuff either. I'll just stay in low-effort-mode.

The only thing I actually never managed to accomplish was getting crafted omnibeams for them. Heh.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Even worse: you sound like clingy golddigger! :lol:

By "better use" I assume you mean a good cause, like turning it into benjamins and building a wall around your mansion to keep fun out? Tempting, but.... nah, I'll pass. #NoFunWall

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom