Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If I were ten or fifteen years younger, I might be dumb enough to try to hoe a row in this game. Hell, I only stuck around for longer than a few days because Dirk suddenly appeared in-game out of nowhere, attracted by the prospect of lizardmen. In a way, my first screenshot precipitated this entire little adventure.

If we could have logged in and cycled ASS on each pylon for just a few minutes per day, then there might have been a chance. Before anyone can really do that, though, they need dozens of ASS cards per pylon, and that wasn't gonna happen without a whole shitload of completely mindless, non-participatory grinding. It's an insult to real grinding to even call our next task grinding, since all we could really do is kamikaze into Borg cubes like assholes over and over again, day in and day out.

I do value this experience, though, because it's one I was missing—terminal, full-bore, metastasized F2P cancer-rape of a moribund old game, presided over by none other than Perfect World Entertainment, the EA of Korean-tier grinding and F2P shenanigans.

Norfleet

Hah. I did warn you not to come.

So who got the winning bet on "How long will Blaine play this stupid game?"
I predicted you wouldn't last even the end of the month. I was not wrong.

If I were ten or fifteen years younger, I might be dumb enough to try to hoe a row in this game. Hell, I only stuck around for longer than a few days because Dirk suddenly appeared in-game out of nowhere, attracted by the prospect of lizardmen. In a way, my first screenshot precipitated this entire little adventure.
Hah, being younger is a detriment. All the kids I know ragequit even faster. They have no attention span. Star Trek is not for the young, anyway. You don't invite kids to play a game based on a property from the 60s.

If we could have logged in and cycled ASS on each pylon for just a few minutes per day, then there might have been a chance. Before anyone can really do that, though, they need dozens of ASS cards per pylon, and that wasn't gonna happen without a whole shitload of completely mindless, non-participatory grinding. It's an insult to real grinding to even call our next task grinding,
Well, there are paths to that, but to make it worthwhile, I'd have had to think you weren't just going to quit within a month. Your generally tepid enthusiasm and lack of stomach for pain didn't really impress me. You didn't have what it took to really descend the rabbithole of bitterness and madness.

since all we could really do is kamikaze into Borg cubes like assholes over and over again, day in and day out.
That's what everyone does, yes. Although it should be noted that there's plenty of dumb, derpy shit you could have done which might have amused you like it amuses the other mouthbreathers who argue with me in this regard. But you have me, and I'm here to make sure your experience is as un-fun as possible.

Just remember, though: There is always more, and it is always worse. You were playing this shit game because you didn't have anything better, and so the only things left are even shittier games. The current game you're playing will always be the worst game you've ever played. Decline. Decline never changes.

I do value this experience, though, because it's one I was missing—terminal, full-bore, metastasized F2P cancer-rape of a moribund old game, presided over by none other than Perfect World Entertainment, the EA of Korean-tier grinding and F2P shenanigans.
you definitely never played atlantica online.
damn, i miss atlantica :'(

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hah, being younger is a detriment. All the kids I know ragequit even faster. They have no attention span. Star Trek is not for the young, anyway. You don't invite kids to play a game based on a property from the 60s.

Oldsters who constantly bring up their age and attempt to use it as a trump card during conversations are worse than those damned kids, because unlike them, you're old enough to know better. Nevertheless, congratulations on not having died yet.

Let's put this into perspective: STO was and still is a shit-tier Cryptic casual game that failed almost immediately, was slurped up by the American arm of the infamous Perfect World, and shortly thereafter was (very predictably) saddled with a cash shop and a massive grind. Finding a PW F2P grind off-putting really doesn't reflect poorly on anyone's "attention span," nor does the addition of a F2P grind elevate STO above the level of a casual game. It's just an obnoxiously grindy casual game that you can waste a lot of time on.

Well, there are paths to that, but to make it worthwhile, I'd have had to think you weren't just going to quit within a month. Your generally tepid enthusiasm and lack of stomach for pain didn't really impress me. You didn't have what it took to really descend the rabbithole of bitterness and madness.

In order to inspire enthusiasm and dedication, the game itself must offer something compelling; otherwise, putting time and effort into it isn't worthwhile in the first place. I looked around for something compelling, but didn't find much beyond some okay story missions (okay compared to usual sandbox MMORPG fare, that is). You veterans are well aware of this, and are unable to offer any reason to actually play the game when quizzed, yet at the same time you get a bit nasty whenever I bash the game too hard. The fact is that STO is a shit game, you've said so yourself, and frankly it's a big nothing compared to, say, EVE Online.

Just remember, though: There is always more, and it is always worse. You were playing this shit game because you didn't have anything better....

No, not really. You're definitely projecting now. It's exactly as I said in the beginning: I haven't played MMORPGs in a very long time, and something compelled me to pop my head back in for a while as they slipped into obsolescence. For a few weeks prior to checking out STO, I'd been spending so much time playing traditional board games on Tabletop Simulator with my Discord group that I played little to nothing else. I've actually been neglecting them for STO, but obviously that's not going to be an issue this week, which is good because we have a huge six-player game of Twilight Imperium coming up this Saturday.

Norfleet

The fact is that STO is a shit game, you've said so yourself, and frankly it's a big nothing compared to, say, EVE Online.
Of course, Eve is even worse in this regard. At least in STO, you only need to be about 5 people to succeed at anything. In Eve, you'd need to be a few thousand people to compete.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
So Norfleet didn't manage to break Blaine? Massive decline! :decline:
Not that he would ever admit he had fun trying...

"Betrayed by his student. Will he ever recover from this setback or will it eat him alive? DISCUSS!"

Norfleet

What? I totally broke him. I predicted he'd break before the month was out, and he did!

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I guess we have a different definition of "breaking him" then. :hahano:

MY defnition of "breaking" would have been him becoming a fun hating robot, who mindlessly aquires minerals just for... well having more minerals. You can never have enough minerals.

If your defnition of "breaking him" was just "drive him away", that could have been archieved much easier: by having him simply play the game. Once he endured some notorious missions, got sick of filthy casual puglins or just encountered the magic of level scaling, he would have gone TISWDTS much faster and with little to no extra effort that way.

Plus, you didn't really give him enough time to actually have fun, making your smug face far less impressive than it could have been.
Next time let your pet play a character to the 50s the casual way first, then curbstomp his hopes and dreams while he is still "in the zone". :obviously:

Norfleet

No, for some reason when people do it that way, they start thinking the game is FUN and shit, while derping around blowing all their limited resources on utterly worthless garbage. It's unpleasant to both watch and listen to this kind of inanity.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
But it's a challenge!

Not like telling a kid stuff like "The economy is shit. You better drop out of school right now and go work in a coal mine, because you will end up sleeping under bridge otherwise." until he runs away to his mum in tears.

Drakron

Arcane

Sorry but no.
STO despite being as you seen got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING over the sea of shite that is Black Desert Online, you see ... despite they kinda screw with you by refusing to give you a proper ship if you happen to come at the wrong tome, at least you can actually PLAY the content with your puny ship, STO is very generous for a F2P game even if its not a entirely pleasant experience, its still not shit, if you think what you seen was grind then I have no idea what would you think BDO grind is, outside having died and being in purgatory.

Granted BDO isnt as old but then again, how about Bless Online that even I stayed the fuck away after they announced the price as I knew they would do exactly in relation to their cash shop.

Norfleet

Well, just because they don't GIVE you a proper ship, and a giving happens at fairly predictable intervals, there are lots of ways to GET a proper ship. It's just that those ways are not any FUN, because FUN IS A FILTHY PARASITE.

Drakron

Arcane
Proper ship giving was thrown out of schedule this year, it will start a month later for Vorgon Summer.
I do think some of the shit they pull is garbage, I mean hell just give up on T5U because NOBODY is going to buy modules for then considering PRETTY FUCKING MUCH all T5 ships that could be upgraded now have a T6 variant, outside the Ka'fir carrier I dont think there is any left at this point, DR was 5 years ago and NO new player is going to buy a T5 and upgrade it to T5U, I suspect this wonderful STUPID AS FUCK idea come from Al Rivera and its not changed because he is lead developer so whatever stupid shit he comes up with stays no matter what until PW overrides him.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Why would they ever give up on the T5U?

It cost them little to no effort to include (and maintain), was meant as a half-assed measure to calm people raging over their recently bought now worthless T5 ship, and lure clueless people into still buying them. For maybe 10 bucks worth of manpower invested into a few lines of code they get 5 bucks back every time someone fell into that trap.
And every time someone buys it NOW, you can hear laughter and popping champagne bottles in the office.

I bet Norfleet is getting wet pants thinking of that effort/reward ratio. :obviously:

Norfleet

I think you're probably underestimating how much work was involved in generating T5Us of every single ship, given that this isn't something that they simply generate automatically.

Drakron

Arcane
Why would they ever give up on the T5U?

Lets look at prices then.

A T5 ship costs 2000 or 2500 Zen, the ships that cost 2000 Zen are the likes of D'Kyr, the Excelsior Retrofit and the C-Store Romulan T5 ships (except the Dyson, Scimitars and Haakona), since a Upgrade Token costs 500 Zen we are talking about overall cost from 2500 Zen to 3000 Zen, you could say "how about sell the Tokens on the Exchange" followed by me saying, you still have to buy a T5 Ship from the C-Store anyway and there is a larger better market for Fleet Modules that cost the same and have a higher demand since you can buy a entire ship with just Fleet Modules.

This is a glaring flaw, since when T6 rolled in newer T5 ships were at 2500 Zen people saw that for the same cost they might as well go T6, thus the T5 market soon died after DR because there was no point on a T5U, 5 years later that market long dried since why would you buy a T5 ship and then upgrade it to T5U when the same ship is available for the same cost at T6? Sure you could argue that Romulans have most options but at the same time, they also happen to have the smaller population (since they are a fraction and not a faction), in the end the "potential" lost sales are too low to even matter, there is a reason why on every ship sale they thrown in for free a Upgrade Token if you buy a T5 ship on top of the Zen discount, also why Jem'hadar start with a T5U ship.

T5U should be the default of the T5 ships simply because there is no point, even in maintence alone there is no reason to keep separate entries for T5 and T5U, its just making their jobs harder in database maintenance for no real revenue.

Last edited:

Norfleet

T5U is a concept that has long since outlived its purpose, but expect them to keep "Ship Upgrades" around for when they roll out T7, probably around the end of the year, so people can fall for this schmuck bait all over again with T6U.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
So the summer event ship has 5 aft weapons and 3 fore. Excellent for running away.
Does that make the Vorgon SpaceItalians or SpaceFrench? Discuss! :obviously:

That's racist, I know. Already reported myself...

damn, the new episode IS boring.
A yuge puddle full of changelings. Do they help DEFENDING THEIR OWN ASSES? Nope, apparently they prefer to rather die, than lift a finger. Heh, politicians are the same no matter the species.

Drakron

Arcane
Well some were out and by some I mean ... let me think, thats 4 we have to interact with I believe and there is Odo so 5? 6?

Then again, if you think you start to see how the whole thing is dumb, there is no way he could put that thing into were The Great Link is because we ARE talking about of one of the most paranoid species in existence, I doubt anything gets near that planet without being scanned 10 times, also they would most likely simply jump ship ... its just a rock in space, there is no shortage of those around, they have no attachment to the place and the whole thing is just to they try to recapture the ending of the Iconian War that people liked it but people were more willing to give it a pass, we have no such attachment to the Hur'q since they are just big bugs and even less about the Changelings, people might like Odo but one thing is liking Odo and the other the Changelings as a whole.

Its just trying to wrap things nicely as everyone gets along other stupid shit, IDIC seems to stand more about "everyone having the exact same values and believes as diversity is just about your skin color and features", I mean imagine say a species that have a digestive system that only works when their food is on more advanced decomposing stage, as in "you would throw up by the smell if you see what they eat" that is disgusting for humans but for then its perfectly normal because that is how their species evolved, this is minor but you dont even see then trying to do that, hell you still have people butthurt about the Kobali because "the dead are sacred or something".

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Also the Hur'q are considerably more annoying to fight than Iconians because of their ass-kissing frigates and their stun cone. Anyway yes the Changelings did relocate the Great Link during DS9, and they don't really have a "homeworld" so to speak. Funnier thing about the whole ending is that given the nature of linking, you're essentially fighting to protect a giant orgy puddle from bugs in need of a hit of space crack. IMO the biggest dumbo in the final mission is really just the whole ketracel sample thing since I would imagine they'd have SOME of that shit nearby or able to beam in. Totally okay with Jeffrey Combs escaping space jail tho, since he's Jeffrey Combs. Overall the whole Hur'q thing's problem is that it's overall a repeat of the Iconians, and I can't stomach multiple ancient evils very much.

As for the Kobali, they're from Voyager so nobody cares.

(PS: Bolians require special toilets and diet because their shit is toxic and corrosive)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom