Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Norfleet

I think the most noteworthy thing is that they actually killed off a canonical character with an actor. Weyoun doesn't count, since he just respawns.

Of course, this plot got cut short rather quickly, where they made a bunch of fancy ground Hurqs...which we never fought.

So NOW what?

Drakron

Arcane
The Female Changeling?
Does she even counts for much since she served no actual purpose before and after DS9?

Norfleet

No, she was killed before this episode. They killed the Jem'hadar guy, too.

Drakron

Arcane
They pretty much killed everyone that they cannot retain, its only amusing how obvious that is.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Yea but he was a random from a single episode. I'm more surprised they managed to dig the up.
Cryptic likes doing that. Means they get a VA for cheap and can advertise with "famous actor from Star Trek reprises his/her role". Like hairy Kim's zombie girlfriend. Or Kurn.
And if you didn't play as a JH, the death of Drakron'Rex only leads to an uninterested shrug. Random JH I don't know dies. News at 11. The JH from Martok's mission had more impact.

I found the ending far more insulting than many of the plotholes:

The SJWFederation pretty much demands that the Dominion embraces FREEDOM(TM) and becomes a democracy, plus the JH are to be freed from their drug addiction. Odo agreeing to that crap is no surprise, he wants to get back into Kira's pants, but "most of the link" agrees with that plan too? Yeah sure, thousands of years of paranoid smug superior complex is completely removed from inventory by introducing FREEDOM(TM). And Odo showing them what looooove is. Sounds legit. :roll:

What are the Jemmies going to do afterwards? A genderless race that cannot reproduce, bred with no other desire than RAEG and combat, but now without any means to keep them in check/have rebels die off? Knowing Cryptic they will probably form the peaceful Jem Hadurr Republic.

"Today we will reclaim our lives by being victorious over the weeds on our fields! To battle!" :salute:

Norfleet

What are the Jemmies going to do afterwards? A genderless race that cannot reproduce, bred with no other desire than RAEG and combat, but now without any means to keep them in check/have rebels die off?
I would laugh if the Federation's demands actually have the logical consequences, that the Jem'hadar run amok.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Kurn guy isn't a random guy from a single episode, Tony Todd played the lead in one of the strongest contenders for best Trek episode (DS9: The Visitor).

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Yeah and the whole choices and consequences there, Kurn's mind being irreversible erased and becoming a new person, Rodek, was weakened by Cryptic's "now he's back as Kurn, happy end, free bloodwine for everyone". Cheap.

He was supposed to BE a one time character, a skeleton in the closet for Worf. Sacrifices had to be made.

Norfleet

Nog joining Starfreak was his entire character arc, though. You know, as opposed to Garak convincing Worf that he wanted to join Starfleet, only to then reveal that he was just trolling.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Kurn wasn't one time either, he showed up several times in TNG. And obviously the memory wipe was imperfect since back when they did it in DS9 they made quite clear to Worf that he must cut all ties to Kurn once it's done so the operation is succesful and he adjusts to the new identity. Which makes it very possible the operation involved a hammer. So there's not really that much of an issue in "reversing" the process by telling Kurn that he's not actually Rodek and it was just some bs they came up with because he was suicidal and that gave Worf a sad.

Also it was nice watching Nog and Jake grow up and NOT become like their parents, taking that away wouldn't be good.

Drakron

Arcane
Well just a heads up for the sleeping and the rage-quit ones.

The Summer event is now upon us.

As usual there is a ship to grind, unlike Winter Event that leads to many FUCK! I HATE THIS! and similar expressions of joy the Summer event grind is rather tame, outside the controls that can take some time to get used to, at least it DOESNT RESET YOUR PROGRESS BECAUSE YOU ENDED UP OFF BOUNDS and its rather tame overall.

But this year ship is kinda crap, not sure about the trait but I doubt is useful.

And that is it, there is nothing new or interesting, they added some Baseball uniforms because ... and they added some new emotes but those are character unlocks and overpriced, the modules seem meh since I guess we just have way to many kit modules so its not like its different anymore? its just "it does a thing" and hopefully it doesnt suck balls and for 1000 LULWUT favors as a character unlock its not worth even trying, unlike Winter Event were yes, the Ice Race is kinda bad because you can actually lose it and just resets until you git gud and beat it that can be annoying but at least you can do OTHER stuff on Winter Event that isnt so "PvP" and P2W because this year they added a new floater and board and the floater is faster that the ones from last year and have the same price, I mean didnt they learn their lesson when they pulled that with the T.A.R.G. board?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
the Ice Race is kinda bad because you can actually lose it
Wait, does that mean they fixed the Norfleet approved prestigious way of running it without competition? :decline:

I skipped the last winter event, where, of course, the ship actually had a useful trait for once. Meaning I have to do 50 runs this year.... just like old times.

The summer mandogrind on the other hand just depends on equipment. Once you have aquired enough lolnuts to buy the best floater it becomes a non-issue. It turns so well you can steer your toon with autorun through it.
Since I did the snek so often last time, I don't have to bother with that one either. Not that there is anything worth buying. You only need one stripper bikini after all.

Low effort mandogrind best mandogrind. :salute:

Norfleet

You remembered to QUEUE THE SHIP, yes? Because if you did not queue the ship, you are SOL, period, and may as well just quit now.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Of course... maybe... not? I thought you might be able to get them anyway now. Heh, that would mean I had the 'vette slotted for several years before I actually bothered to grind for her last year.

Welp, time to quit then. Gonna turn all my minerals into cybershekelz, buy fleet modules and gift them to filthy casuals. :obviously:

Drakron

Arcane
Wait, does that mean they fixed the Norfleet approved prestigious way of running it without competition?

I dont think they changed anything, the "competition" is basically a timer as it runs at the same speed and will take the same amount of time to reach the end, when you realize that it becomes easier since you are just racing a clock.
By lose its more that if dont reach the end before time run out of time, a timer you only see as a "racer", or you get out of bounds, bounds that arent strictly marked so you dont know what shortcuts are safe or not, you "lose" and have to do it again, there is no penalty on losing but people do get annoyed about it, summer event have a proper timer with numbers n' shit so people might complain about the controls but they dont complain about the timer since its not disguised as something else, also there is out of bounds or you lose because you missed a gate.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Let me channel my inner Norfleet here: "WINTER RACING, YOU ARE DOING IT WRÒNG!"

You should go and ask Norfleet about anime how to do it properly. RAEG free.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Nope. Only the anniversary event has the 400 points jumpstart from playing a feature episode.

Enjoy your 25 days of mandogrind. :salute:

Drakron

Arcane
so is it 40 points each day? that's it? no way to speed that up?

Outside spending Lobi for it, no and I am not even sure about that.

Also I dont have problems with the Winter Race since I guess the first year, might get a bit out the first day but muscle memory kicks in after a while, I do know some people do have problems with but I still say its more of a psychological problem as they see the racer as a actual opponent and not what it is, that is simply a timer ... because they dont ignore it and just try to complete it in x time they end up thinking its a actual competition when its not.

As a aside, the Summer Event is now dreadful boring, the whole place should be burn to the ground and replaced with a actual summer event map ... things should go faster and be more rewarding instead of P2W PVP races that clog up time slots and a badly done scavenger hunt were the instructions dont even work unless you zoom out the camera. I know they wont change that because that involved the FORBIDDEN word, work as they would have to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up, if the Winter Event run out of map to do shit, the Summer Event have most of the map that is not utilized at all.

Stokowski

Arcane
This has to be the easist 25 day grind I've seen in a long while. And do people really have trouble controlling their jet-packs? WTF? They must be the same cretins I find in pugs.

Norfleet

Keep in mind that we're talking about the same people who couldn't handle Newtonian spaceflight because the idea of their ship continuing to move in the same direction is too hard. They have obviously never played Asteroids.

Drakron

Arcane
Well Star Trek ships dont handle that way, they tend to act as "typical" seafaring ships.

It doesnt have Z-Axis movement that gets really annoying when something is above or below you and you have to corkscrew up and down in a very stupid and annoying way as a simple "up/down" vertical movement key would work much better, Cryptic claims people found it confusing but Cryptic claims a lot of things we know its not true, such as they having a QA department.

Also I played I-War so commanding a starship with Newtionian model would not be exactly new but trying that with a starfighter can really get out of control due to other reasons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom