Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old/obscure/underrated JRPGs

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Filsnown by Leaf (PC98, 1995).

It’s one of Leaf’s very first games, they’re mostly known for Utawarerumono franchise.

Main character is a redhead by the name of Thiria Fray who is soon joined by two other ladies. The main point of the story is Thiria trying to save her boyfriend (whom you never meet until the very end of the game) but along the way she partakes in several lesbo scenes that are thankfully short.

“Filsnown” refers to a sword that’s needed to beat the God of Chaos.

It is a very traditional game in every sense and without the eroscenes would simply be a mainstream game. I found it to be most similar to FF4. At one point in the game Thiria gains control of an airship, opening the world and indeed there’s quite a bit of optional content to be found.

I guess I got a bad ending because at the end Thiria was forced to stab her boyfriend. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was likely missing some obscure item at the end, I did not find a detailed guide about the game anywhere.

dvZKKe7.gif

y9c3UPS.gif

t9jJepr.gif

wst7DJu.gif

TuUFoxO.gif

kAVI2v5.gif

35lsIBV.gif

AVzFqeq.gif

uS7Cr6y.gif

390Ug0v.gif

EHkHLjH.gif

ES9bYIF.gif

dprTlZX.gif

gGJ2zik.gif

bNvdqaB.gif

T9YcZt5.gif

5RRATDz.gif

Yqc5wM2.gif

eC72W1j.gif

0oGn0UE.gif

q1NmNl5.gif

VMRpcKZ.gif

R9OBSgM.gif

1y2LTQF.gif

zfjmtZs.gif

aL8iYRw.gif

tnCHGlw.gif

5TqpPdh.gif

cDkXhFU.gif

mgZfwze.gif

r955NrF.gif

WzGDaZC.gif

pMerK9M.gif

drC6YmT.gif

vjywRBc.gif

aizHGNX.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Dragon Knight 4, final chapter in Dragon Knight franchise by élf (1994).

The game starts with an interesting intro where the main villains and their motivations are revealed. The main villain is Minax who manipulates Lusyfan (the bad guys are basically Dark Elves) and sends him back from the far future (where humanity has colonized space) into the distant past to assassinate Takeru. Lusyfan is forced to obey since he wants to marry Minax’ daughter.

Totally randomly the devices used to time travel are stones ripped from the womb of an Elf woman – Minax ripped the stones given to Lusyfan from his own daughter’s womb to give even more incentive.

When Lusyfan arrives in Takeru’s time Takeru’s son Kakeru is 15 years old and sent off by Takeru to make his mark on the world. Lusyfan poses as a dragon knight invading the continent from the East while a petrifying black fog enters the continent from the West. It is a ploy to lure Takeru to him.

Among others Kakeru teams up with Sail, Baan’s son, in the first town. Kakeru and Sail are almost enveloped by the black fog but are saved by a mysterious swordsman in black armour called Eto. Sail becomes an actual Dragon Knight later in the game, taking control of a dragon and even gets his own waifu.

My favourite character in the game was Marlene, Elven archer and basically a Pirotess clone. She’s Kakeru’s main love interest along with his childhood friend Natasha (Luna clone).

At the end of the game when Kakeru reaches Lusyfan everybody gets roflstomped yet Kakeru is left alive and put to sleep only to be awakened and killed when Elves completely dominate the future, to make him taste defeat utterly.

However Marlene appears sometime in the future to Kakeru and sends him back in time – this future Kakeru is Eto. This was p. clever (I had expected Eto to be Takeru in disguise) as throughout the game Eto routinely seems to cuck Kakeru with Natasha and is often seen conversing with Marlene – though Eto ultimately does fail first time through the game.

So basically when one expects the game to be over Kakeru is sent back in time and one needs to play through the entire game again from the point of view of Eto – experiencing earlier events from a new angle, picking up characters along the way that were unavailable first time, and learning the truth about Marlene who is pivotal to changing history (she’s the little sister of Lusyfan’s lover).

But a plot such as this shouldn’t be surprising from the company that created YU-NO which uses similar concepts. Made me do a double-take whether Kanno Hiroyuki wasn’t behind the game story.

Gameplay has evolved into a turn-based strategy, kind of an amalgam of Shining Force and Suikoden 2 strategic battles. There’s permadeath when non-plot critical characters die in battle (which you don’t want lest you miss out on scenes), otherwise it’s just game over. Maps also need to be completed in X amount of turns lest game over.

Between the battles there’s some town exploration during which Kakeru recruits new commanders and the game functions basically as a visual novel. It’s here where the game truly shines as along with humorous events (like a gay knight that keeps hitting on Kakeru or an annoying brat that keeps trying to get it on with Kakeru’s waifus) and utterly absurd events (like a village called Sodom with sex-crazed dwarf inhabitants) there are some genuinely touching events.

The game has interactive sex scenes, which are quite annoying to go through. Thankfully though the game is not exactly a sex romp.

It is a p. good game and either this one or II is the best in the series.

The ending isn’t as conclusive as I had hoped, Marlene’s story isn’t resolved, not to mention you never even meet the main bad guy. Another open ending.

hPAX69y.gif

i22klvi.gif

TPdJOwV.gif

MY9kGZd.gif

7T4kcN8.gif

fNbSFS7.gif

eyNrort.gif

ytfLJqd.gif

5t9lzVZ.gif

RdvLZlT.gif

rSbsaPW.gif

A6YkHaD.gif

jJ2p05g.gif

maKmgvC.gif

fJZkaAR.gif

J568Bex.gif

4cUR6vU.gif

4MsyamX.gif

cLIxe2H.gif

scKcFsd.gif

16RDS6U.gif

IFtnJz6.gif

FjBO82Y.gif

X8ZkpV8.gif

Pqjq5Up.gif

bfuI6xb.gif

jrFFhdS.gif

8yBRE31.gif

eQbR0uP.gif

VZamxNq.gif

s58kYpt.gif

8vl3bWC.gif

J8xzwdE.gif

E37KuAl.gif

EwwvIZT.gif

DofBoQ3.gif

RJbiZJZ.gif

jmxSl34.gif

9KncSXG.gif

F49smQG.gif

G112Xry.gif

pTvU0GD.gif

eDftrEy.gif

xEB06bq.gif

y8r2LMr.gif

OH6z1Ms.gif

7AxG8sj.gif

0LNSGcf.gif

gbkmbUJ.gif

TtkFewU.gif

l9FxRME.gif

8V5Sf45.gif

y0uagvL.gif

3ZdbdOJ.gif

19Jlki5.gif

2OqIkIF.gif

SAQDLpf.gif

lbYLdil.gif

vxkYzhR.gif

JA3Muum.gif

W3C3C4s.gif

2y35D30.gif

XF6s5r5.gif

Ih3wMil.gif

o6Vzsby.gif

mYvLCdC.gif

wd5K4XA.gif

1N0NAGP.gif

G02GGxj.gif

DtdkCZM.gif

Yyo7Gsn.gif

cNDiNSn.gif

CRrcitK.gif

fsrdxEk.gif

INSuQ0h.gif

UCdMqcZ.gif

VqseEc2.gif

9iwNrz9.gif

bq2JhY0.gif

C874Fer.gif

NgUIeX6.gif

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They just look like your slightly above average RPG Maker games. Could you elaborate on what makes them special?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Watched the review for the second one, sounded pretty awful. Generic storyline, generic combat without even a hint of challenge (every fight you start at full hp, losing lets you retry the fight and even swap your gear and shit- why not just give me save states and be done with it) and the only thing that seemed appealing at all were the aesthetics, and even that was just kind of average. Better than the usual rpgmaker fare sure, but hardly worth playing a bad game for. Reviewer claims the writing was good but didn't really give any examples, and the bits I saw in the background didn't stand out.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I played Skyborn. I didn't like the story and don't remember how the dungeons are, the game is linear, but regarding combat and character developpement it's actually not that bad, I don't remember exactly but you've got class-branchings and, even if the beginning is far too easy, some (optional? or is it just that you can reach them when you're barely strong enough?) late game parts are fun, not hard but fun. Overall I wouldn't recommend it but above average RPG maker game seems fair to me.

To give examples regarding similar games I preferred Zeboyd games' stuff, and if you want some combat challenge I could recommend Liar Jeannie instead (although story is even worse and it's even more linear) and if you prefer good dungeons with various traps, cursed items and hidden doors (+ full party creation) then there's Dungeonmen (the guy's other game, Spellshard is said to be even better, but unfortunately I've only played the begninning of the game, which is promising alright, so I can't recommend it).

This is just my own opinion. To add a slightly more interesting note to this boring message I am several hours into the recently translated G.O.D., I'll leave my impression when I complete the game but what I wanted to say is that you really mustn't spoil you the story at all before playing it, you're playing as an agent of an anti-alien organization in a invaded Japan and the setting and story sure are worth it so far.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What a coincidence! I was just looking into games made in the engine that Dungeonmen and Spellshard was used and they looked really fun.

I think G.O.D also had a spiritual sequel on the PS1 that's also untranslated. I want to play that one too.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I played a few games made with the engine, Void pyramid is a very cool puzzle RPG, Festivus is a short and fun baby's first first-person blobber, plain attacks make very low damage and you'd better use elemental spells and the dungeons are above average but it's getting interesting only about halfway through and even then the combat is a cakewalk.

But yes, the base UI leads to a very different look from RPG Maker game, and some games like Vkings of Midgard or Sword of Jade: Parallel Dreams seem to have some personnality, the former maybe only because of very good low-res gfx and big furry monsters but the latter because of important time mechanisms, I haven't played any of the two though'.
vik2_188.jpg
JADE.GIF

It's always the problem when dealing with this kind of stuff, RPG Maker or OHRRPGCE or whatever the engine, we don't need Labyrinth of Touhou difficulty on average but it's hard to distinguish the games which are only a story with a "press attack to win" mechanism over the top and those which are actually fun to play, and needless to say that the ones with the best presentation have no reason to be the best.

About G.O.D. I think there's a remake of the SNES game on PS1.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Burai Joukan for PC88/98 by Riverhill Soft (1989).

Game is the first part of a duology with a 30 minute intro that’s better than animu:

The basic story: eight baddies wake up the God of Darkness to gain ultimate power and rule the world. To counter this out eight orbs are sent out to eight champions to protect a holy child in which the God of Light will reincarnate.

The story becomes more complex as later it is revealed ‘darkness’ and ‘light’ are merely two sides of the same coin; in fact Light had invaded a peaceful world ruled by Darkness in the past. One of the party members is a god who descends to remove both Light and Darkness from premises.

In the end there’s a p. kewl twist; everything turns out to be a Xanatos gambit by the main antagonist which nicely sets up a sequel.

The game consists of seven (p. short) chapters introducing the eight ‘chosen ones’. At the end of the game there’s a chapter with everyone together. The first seven chapters are origin stories, in the final chapter the heroes unite. The game becomes open-worldy at this point.

Two of the eight heroes are children with initially very low HP who don’t really level up at all during their chapters; it takes quite some time to bring them up to par with the other six. Ironically though the kiddies in the party become the most powerful with special skills that can do 65,536 damage to enemies…

Each of the eight have unique abilities. Gameplay uses a learn-by-doing system to increase stats (à la Betrayal at Krondor).

Combat is fairly challenging but in the individual chapters characters will quickly overpower every enemy. The final chapter with a party of eight is most challenging, overall good use needs to be made of the characters’ abilities – then again some party members might gain very overpowered abilities.

Not to mention, one of the party members is a god… with a spell similar to Dragonskin from Betrayal at Krondor.

Also amusingly there are random encounters with entire armies (up to 100,000 enemy units).

There are some labyrinthine dungeons combined with high encounter rate; however one party member has an ability to skip combat which is a godsend when one gets tired of fighting.

Overall p. classy, stylish game with a great soundtrack, kewl characters, fun gameplay and good storytelling. Taking everything into account definitely THE BEST I played so far.

51EWdhq.gif

33o0KyP.gif

vcmrg7y.gif

IMZZs0m.gif

cbJfotC.gif

DRuo7Eg.gif

Dgwx8Ip.gif

dnQPeLk.gif

DB6Al2B.gif

NQqzkTI.gif

mY4EwKm.gif

YsicQN6.gif

S2HZlMn.gif

67Farea.gif

z8XEZ11.gif

O2xjDNS.gif

3aUnFRh.gif

IFoBfyk.gif

46b9nrq.gif

9aUcgMi.gif

GeLOgrl.gif

9T8ecAb.gif

wC4ZRHR.gif

4Ojmn5j.gif

oqs3Guc.gif

lNCNqyr.gif

KUQyqss.gif

rbraoqn.gif

hnVTnP4.gif

G9YOPdc.gif

zeMR0eb.gif

VmSgYOK.gif

2dTfVD5.gif

1NnQnHs.gif

PnPpCJM.gif

ohbvgJx.gif

ugvgQ9y.gif

1HSBX8v.gif

3LiHhdh.gif

ZteXj56.gif

XKgQWAm.gif

cmt7686.gif

gua2WQJ.gif

kAEMrgc.gif

rp434Fg.gif

pJ2FcfM.gif

zZkOEPl.gif

GX0vciR.gif

hiOJbMc.gif

lIdrp3a.gif

wp57VG4.gif

hBOGDww.gif

SVX22iT.gif

M8WMRQk.gif

ezdHZJY.gif

xyTVFVY.gif

4P5g0Lp.gif

KNN0qcU.gif

gYN6eFc.gif

gnuNCSr.gif

9ktayvP.gif

JxedSmq.gif

ggeqmDa.gif

EcfghWu.gif

TNn12Nz.gif

RQHgwk4.gif

0OXutTO.gif

SVYX5c6.gif

SbzcfEr.gif

BwGJR7Q.gif

OhSTWmF.gif

87q6uTv.gif

Oc3GZ2C.gif

ULY091A.gif

HJQ1BSY.gif

Ps1hNBE.gif

IfVk1xn.gif

iJfULsG.gif

6zqNLgQ.gif

RF5DJOZ.gif

xjBZ8FK.gif

qsx1d4E.gif

WkSXLR8.gif

aNBXFym.gif

oUuFDTt.gif

hBpQv0c.gif

yAhiCWK.gif

z3WlBiq.gif

5sf6YRC.gif

Hcs8wFI.gif

Fr9C2IX.gif

zlkGrKt.gif

Mq0odse.gif

FVNick7.gif

n6xXYDb.gif

DPqFjYy.gif

35iHNgJ.gif

3pqYDFP.gif

2ddVvhj.gif

hCl93Hx.gif

BPeehBH.gif

qVNGzEW.gif

cC269wp.gif

K1yJxmg.gif

67nYE0y.gif

QAWCzh4.gif

opXZpha.gif

27UAahU.gif

YsBG6vu.gif

QikPkH7.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Startling Odyssey: Blue Evolution by RayForce (1999).

466874-startling-odyssey-1-blue-evolution-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Not to be confused with Star Odyssey, it is a PS remake of an older game for PC-Engine complete with voice over and (animu) cutscenes (since from a story perspective these are really well done, I wonder how the original handled these…).

Story is standard epic fantasy “peasant from tiny village destined to beat ancient evil” (like a weeb David Eddings novel) but executed very well; characters are likable and there are some good skits.

In the beginning the hero’s village is attacked, his mother turned into a statue and taken away. Moreover his nephew is brutally killed in front of his eyes, and his dog disintegrated. Then the hero and his party travel all across the world solving everyone’s problems and gathering the McGuffins.

At one point you get a submarine and spaceship and the world opens up completely; some of the McGuffins are well hidden but there’s also a NPC who reveals their locations.

Random encounter rate is high but combat is fun and reminded me of Kuro no Ken at times as main character gains some p. kewl looking special moves. There’s also some optional content when party gains access to ship/submarine/spaceship.

Most importantly running from combat works in 90% of cases. I must’ve avoided battles 40% of the time, game took me ~24.5 hours to finish.

Difficulty wise it’s about as challenging as any early Final Faggetry i.e. level trumps all.

Overall p. enjoyable PS game, below my top games on this platform (Suikoden/Valkyrie Profile/Legend of Dragoon) but more than good enough so I might also check out the prequel/sequel to the original game on PC-Engine (there’s an ungodly amount of allusions to the prequel story).

U2eWXs5.jpg

xt4u0Fa.jpg

KGBpBWb.jpg

3ri22Hk.jpg

il2WORp.jpg

xPmi5tg.jpg

Nl95oWw.jpg

fIMjWvi.jpg

DxIdGW1.jpg

IixwE3I.jpg

qatv04A.jpg

15izbCZ.jpg

drpZwH4.jpg

MGNREtW.jpg

qyQW0vL.jpg

gFXny2J.jpg

1uYLBjp.jpg

GKZi6Zw.jpg

KRZ7rX4.jpg

bLeIAAc.jpg

wmeM9WS.jpg

hwwJiHo.jpg

1hFsvxg.jpg

Bu8r4Jf.jpg

oHjEuAj.jpg

zW4GyLV.jpg

7K9ZK3k.jpg

Zn6GzQ9.jpg

awCqDse.jpg

iRCibAX.jpg

Ra5Iqql.jpg

bmjWZmG.jpg

CGXsqq5.jpg

rJLQ6Rr.jpg

34nhwwg.jpg

1u2rceu.jpg

30Ao86Z.jpg

1Z16KJF.jpg

BWfnDcG.jpg

ZAfeqXx.jpg

jN8JC6L.jpg

dw7sgBz.jpg

0G1jRCq.jpg

Ga4MppH.jpg

VvY2UwZ.jpg

CosjFUJ.jpg

DxdCSth.jpg

SpiRkpa.jpg

VOjjIPr.jpg

de3BJ3M.jpg

PFGY9bU.jpg

Q5l6S0q.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Isn't it obvious, they don't need the translation and they rather do something else than invest countless hours into something of no benefit to them, also I think you seriously underestimate the time needed to do one of these translations, I've been following the romtrans scene since the whirlpool days and in some cases it has taken years to get something to a finished state

newtmonkey

Arcane
It is simply not worth it. FF7 (granted, quite text heavy, but NOWHERE close to more recent games) probably has a script of something like 2 million plus characters. That is not a workload that a single person can translate in a reasonable amount of time, so you are looking at a team doing it. That means you need a project manager and an editor to make sure the translations from the multiple translators are consistent.

Large documents like this are often handled by translation agencies who use dozens of freelance translators, but have professional editors and project managers on staff. An agency would charge anywhere from 10-15 yen per character, with the freelance translators receiving anywhere from 7-10 yen per character.

Unless fans are willing to contribute 200,000 fucking dollars to translate some obscure PC9801 game, it would mean taking a nonpaid vacation and earning zero income so that 5-6 people could play some game no one knows/cares about.

Personally, I have enough of a workload that I routinely turn assignments down, so I have zero time to translate some game on a fan basis for little or no compensation, only for my translation to get picked apart by nerds cuz I didn't append SAMA and KUN to every name JUST LIKE IN THE ORIGINAL JAPANESE.

Anyone translating video games (especially for free) is doing it for the love of the genre, and I think few of these people would be willing to translate something that will likely be played for 5-6 min by half a dozen people and then forgotten.

[edit] For reference, I work at a speed of 1,000 characters/hour, which is on the high end. I translate technical documents (programming specifications, car repair manuals, CPU architecture documents) from J-E, and have a background working in this field in both English (in the US) and Japanese (in Japan of course). This is the only reason why I can translate at this speed. Translating something literary, like a game script would be MUCH slower, possible 1/2 to 1/3 as slow.

If someone were to hand me a 2 million character Japanese game script under the condition that I had to do it all by myself, I would bill as follows.

4,000 characters day @ 10 yen/character.
The bill would end up being roughly 200,000 USD and I would require 500 working days, or just over two years.
That would leave me with time to accept other work, as I couldn't simply just refuse all work from other clients for two fucking years lol.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
, only for my translation to get picked apart by nerds cuz I didn't append SAMA and KUN to every name JUST LIKE IN THE ORIGINAL JAPANESE.

Fucking weaboos fuck up everything. :decline:

But yeah, translating Japanese games is hard. Wasn't there a story of how one of the translator of these Trials of Steel or whatever almost committed suicide due overwork?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The bill would end up being roughly 200,000 USD and I would require 500 working days, or just over two years.

You could find people to do the same amount of work for 10x less money in Eastern Europe. And they would consider it a good pay as well.

But yes, you have a point, it would still be too expensive. Although when you actually take into the account many that were translated for no money at all, this really shouldn't be a problem. Consistency and editors are something that you need for high-quality official translation, not something that is necessary for fan-translated hobby projects. Many parts of it could also be outsourced to students (people learning Japanese) and then simply edited by the project leader. In fact, maybe you could even charge money for such courses.

For example; Fallout 1.5 and similar other text-heavy mods were played by people even if they didn't have proper translations, let alone perfect ones. The same is true for many SNES-era JRPGs not released outside of Weaboo Land.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished 魍魎戦記MADARA 大金剛輪編 (Mōryō Senki Madara: Daikongō Rinhen) for PC98 by Kōgadō (1993).

This is a game based on manga/animu. Other games from this developer include the Cosmic Soldier, Power Dolls and Schwarzschild series.

Very popular sword and sorcery shounen series with a mixed dose of Japanese mythology and some futuristic themes. According to myth, the evil emperor Miroku will be dethroned by a young hero who's also destined to open the gateway that connects the human world to the legendary land of Agalta. When a son with tremendous powers was born to Miroku, the infant's body was cut up into eight parts to prevent the prophecy from becoming true and given to Miroku's eight evil generals for safekeeping. Then the poor baby was cast into the river but luckily was found by Tatara who gave it both its name, Madara, and artificial limbs to compensate for the missing ones. Madara grew up with a girl named Kirin and when he was 15, he was given the sword Kusanagi and told to go and get his real body parts back. Along the way, he discovers the truth about his father, his lineage and his own powers.

Rather atypical shounen fare with heavy Buddhist elements, rather stark artstyle and a kind of post-apocalyptic fantasy setting (almost like a weeb Dark Sun). A unique part of the game is making use of chakras to progress through the story.

Gameplay wise it is a mix of visual novel/adventure game and rpg. Every battle is fixed and ordained by the story. In fact combat is so scarce that it might as well be considered a full visual novel – XP is gained after battle but it serves no purpose as gaining levels is meaningless. So it’s most accurate to state this is a pseudo-rpg similar to AmbivalenZ from Alice Soft.

Overall I found this game fairly interesting, enough to play to completion (also Kirin is a splendid waifu).

(also when exactly did Final Faggetry VI release? waifu #2 Marika was basically Terra)

WvxXb9Y.gif

EjF2aeC.gif

wpvppLP.gif

men9eDH.gif

zuqiscb.gif

KDTWtVP.gif

jMhyxyW.gif

NorXPfI.gif

npt8G7f.gif

KQNonGx.gif

jOBoB2P.gif

u9o3NwC.gif

blTJNBJ.gif

mJUJypA.gif

sPJGVgx.gif

fm3A8y5.gif

Qnc6wbH.gif

gYf6MEK.gif

e7zUeLn.gif

3arV7PL.gif

hHTJcav.gif

CxkzG5P.gif

83bioH4.gif

CAuAkoQ.gif

kiXZixy.gif

zu75Bjo.gif

HpZcg45.gif

23N5ZF4.gif

tIC6x3U.gif

NlCvW5C.gif

dSDRPHu.gif

O6nX6Xw.gif

KAHA56H.gif

AFG2e6a.gif

ryNo6tt.gif

M40eVxB.gif

LTlosbS.gif

aS5TaI3.gif

954KwyX.gif

Lg94kHn.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished London Seirei Tanteidan by Bandai (1999).

vNVDCvE.jpg

Like Gunblaze this is a Wapanese rpg with (steampunk) Victorian setting, which is exceedingly rare. Funnily enough both deal with the occult.

Main character is a street urchin (you get to name him yourself) who fights with slingshot and by chance joins a private investigator called Everett. He partners up with another street urchin and a posh professor’s daughter who fights with an umbrella which is hilarious (her special attacks are also p. funny). Occasionally a ghostly fellow joins as well.

Random encounters are generally not too frequent (depends on the episode) and it’s always possible to run from combat. Episodes are quite varied; some are short and straightforward while others feature elaborate mazes.

The game is divided into 19 episodes, each of which almost always deals with a separate detective case. There is however an encompassing story that is gradually introduced as the game progresses (the bad guys stay in the shadows the entire game and take over London with an army of steam soldiers near the end of the game – though the true villain, the Man of Steam, who appears shortly in the prologue goes literally Golden Throne God-Emperor at the end).

Side quests come in the form of occasional assignments for detective agency, e.g. finding someone’s diary, missing person or cat. Some of these tasks seem petty but usually tie into something bigger.

The short episodic stories are p. cleverly handled. E.g. a child disappearance case tying into a “rat catcher of Hameln flute” mystery that ultimately ties into the whistling of a malfunctioning steam machine. Some episodes are moving, like one dealing with temporarily stopping the smog so that a sickly child can see the setting sun in London for once.

The game looks, sounds and feels incredibly charming throughout. Also props to the great detail in environments. It is one of the best games you’ll likely never play; why this was not brought to the West is a completely mystery; moreover I now feel like replaying Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes.

7qJh5dV.jpg

cvqOBRZ.jpg

ld1poxk.jpg

dP9uGFa.jpg

I3Pe7x3.jpg

gbi5q2T.jpg

Afl70Yc.jpg

GrakLNC.jpg

TMHEfvs.jpg

A98ZsEf.jpg

cEJbL7M.jpg

m6p7Tux.jpg

IRHND1A.jpg

J1VpEnM.jpg

iN30eNM.jpg

1DkVtQE.jpg

NWbMvf8.jpg

9fjWcMF.jpg

P5qjVmC.jpg

OByCwon.jpg

4wqk7Xp.jpg

dF1yVuk.jpg

OoFN1s8.jpg

THNl4hL.jpg

NkxioWm.png

Nv5JmiW.png

OWSKy5N.jpg

AaQoJd2.jpg

fMyjZkG.jpg

PZPDZRM.jpg

j8UfGae.jpg

MZIydi8.jpg

bSCeM4o.jpg

87GaNG7.jpg

1qkuOmQ.jpg

xn52Mor.jpg

C2iyA6c.jpg

2R3xBnF.jpg

0O5Vagb.jpg

PZthhpA.jpg

lI2EmpL.jpg

e0tmSEm.jpg

qQxlfaC.jpg

iRBCY0G.jpg

pKcidUv.jpg

7hWF5T7.jpg

hCvpShQ.jpg

Tu2Fx2X.jpg

zpcGGRt.jpg

nhwix9j.jpg

KpjN6AS.jpg

YQ7YTe6.jpg

9fPyOQH.jpg

bGgIhIM.jpg

Zf8WvzT.jpg

JSjquj8.jpg

wn0mudK.jpg

fN3RLRb.jpg

XM5oEKZ.jpg

d9bR9nw.png

UnOwip0.jpg

hrMSsBL.jpg

PYbGOwX.jpg

LjKG0Wl.png

gMVKdVv.jpg

m0uqhs6.jpg

oum4nVu.jpg

VHDUxgy.jpg

IREzLII.jpg

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
abnaxus since you think translating those games is an impossible task, why not simply make a Youtube Let's Play channel where you play the original Japanese version while giving us an English translation/narration like many people do?

:dealwithit:

mck

Cipher
abnaxus since you think translating those games is an impossible task, why not simply make a Youtube Let's Play channel where you play the original Japanese version while giving us an English translation/narration like many people do?

:dealwithit:

yeah this would be really cool. especially for games like London titgrab gaiden where there are no english let's plays of it on youtube

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom