Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old/obscure/underrated JRPGs

mck

Cipher
abnaxus what's wrong with doing let's plays? most people don't speak moon rune and won't ever be able to experience them

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
No, it does, but he does it for his own enjoyment. Doing a Let's Play on top of it could feel like work, if the person doesn't feel inclined to do so

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Tenshin Ranma by élf for PC98 (1992).

Setting is weebizarro Shadowrun; monsters invade during an eclipse as a test to decide the fate of humanity. The point of the game is defeating the king of hell.

There are two characters to play with: Takami and Yuima (later joined by an angel in disguise called Amano). There’s also a third girl along for the ride who doesn’t fight but is saved by the two in the beginning of the game.

Takami is a typical highschooler while Yuima is a highschool girl* and Elf in disguise. The beginning of the game is different depending on who you pick to play with but the two characters soon meet and have to crawl through a lot of dungeons together.

There’s also the fact that if you pick Yuima in the beginning, you’ll miss out on some hentai scenes (which can be viewed as either a plus or a minus).

I had expected this one to be one of the weaker élf games but it turned out better than both Words Worth and Dragon Knight 3 (final boss also surprisingly challenging – I was underleveled). The game does have some charm (and some slight replayability). Best part are the interactions between the three main characters.

*Initially I thought she was an OL; would’ve suited her “big sister” personality perfectly.

XPiCDu4.gif

OCfgtZm.gif

p6cP8U3.gif

ZuJ5LwW.gif

MMAE4eh.gif

yvVyBpC.gif

VF7tLxU.gif

KAXzBX6.gif

GNNPy91.gif

VH49YSG.gif

iFYjGa5.gif

jCg7bnL.gif

91w4QOf.gif

etBTZoZ.gif

JJIE2ij.gif

lMJrrRx.gif

zJP3yvJ.gif

GYDUi6k.gif

ls6JLzg.gif

5ekEP9K.gif

QvUvtkk.gif

oaasYjj.gif

lWs5YYi.gif

tmamW7t.gif

gyU3rMa.gif

hujBqnX.gif

rlcpRd9.gif

LZ0vS2U.gif

e66NeLo.gif

M1aRKWq.gif

jVJDzc6.gif

wZne9hf.gif

Yl3j0ck.gif

dZusLSF.gif

O9VTHO2.gif

ShPjQ8B.gif

mR2k4qQ.gif

yuEXm3P.gif

5kzT3PA.gif

Tfe0ehb.gif

sNcUCha.gif

JrtjJO7.gif

9oraGHg.gif

wNFVrS4.gif

pxm525C.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I dropped this because I think I ran into a game breaking bug :)

The part with the children's melting faces is CLASSIC

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Prematurely finished Vain Dream 2 by Glodia for PC98 (1993).

Despite the title this is completely unrelated to Vain Dream 1, it doesn’t even take place in the same world.

Basic story is that in the distant past some morans summoned a hot but utterly evil goddess who promptly started exterminating humanity; however two divine dragons descended from the heavens and banished the Goddess. Then afterwards (108) dragons watched over the world for 900 years until the bad guys and start killing dragons.

The main character is called Warrick who discovers the death of the (ice) dragon protecting his village. He is tasked with delivering a knife to the head honcho dragon – the purpose of the knife is to revive the golden dragon in order to defeat the silver dragon (Astarte) who turned evil.

In typical Glodia fashion the main character has stronk magical waifu at his side; Warrick is actually married to Reina and typically, she basically comments on almost everything purchased and sold not to mention takes control during most conversations with important NPCs. Compared to the mostly docile Tamryn/Melwyn she’s an acquired taste.

The engine and gameplay are exactly the same as the first game. This time around you can level up in different weapon classes, but it doesn’t make much of a difference overall. Characters can wear an upper and under armour, which is somewhat unusual.

Game is much easier than Vain Dream 1 (at least until a point, see below). Some enemies are copy-pasted from D&D bestiary (like beholders). Not to mention the game has Elves and Dwarves, unlike the first game.

Perhaps the most memorable part of the game is the party crossing a sea of sand by boat and dealing with Moby Dick.

Near the end of the game is where Warrick needs to go through a tower all by himself to retrieve an armour. I wasn’t underleveled or underequipped yet the living armour enemies inside the tower could instagib Warrick; to make matters worse the game doesn’t even let you save.

Surely this has to be a bug?? Or again maybe some retardo copy protection (I actually had to replay part of Vain Dream 1 because of that)??

So I dropped the game at this point with like 75-80% overall completion.

Can’t say I really regret not playing this til the end as compared to Emerald Dragon and Vain Dream 1, this game is extremely tepid and quite a disappointment. Srsly, fuck Glodia.

x5WsVTT.gif

VGz81SS.gif

i84pHAQ.gif

aX8NxsW.gif

TW1wsi6.gif

igp6xSY.gif

iAVc2BW.gif

icPusiB.gif

xR7K4vF.gif

ejr3qxq.gif

YDtI0UK.gif

OAHFMDV.gif

WehADyf.gif

zdFcJYW.gif

pwUoczi.gif

XXkIN5v.gif

BZfZ873.gif

2e5ihcN.gif

FMBupbi.gif

JtzwkFw.gif

zeSDgM7.gif

KyF0MET.gif

5azbaak.gif

NdNsmLi.gif

2rX60Qk.gif

pGTPUdc.gif

XG4E1R5.gif

k626nac.gif

ZveMEoD.gif

oxupE8M.gif

jhv2suo.gif

wzf7fRO.gif

8KITkVH.gif

82VB9HW.gif

Ot4Aoa1.gif

SQnwq8f.gif

3YLBhOO.gif

KLmBwkt.gif

9a18xu6.gif

uDkSuhn.gif

V0pCA4T.gif

WrcAF1O.gif

4Fjgxb6.gif

lkelDia.gif

HrN828F.gif

UI683Y1.gif

ykpq2St.gif

flyingjohn

Arcane
Prematurely finished Vain Dream 2 by Glodia for PC98 (1993).

Despite the title this is completely unrelated to Vain Dream 1, it doesn’t even take place in the same world.

Basic story is that in the distant past some morans summoned a hot but utterly evil goddess who promptly started exterminating humanity; however two divine dragons descended from the heavens and banished the Goddess. Then afterwards (108) dragons watched over the world for 900 years until the bad guys and start killing dragons.

The main character is called Warrick who discovers the death of the (ice) dragon protecting his village. He is tasked with delivering a knife to the head honcho dragon – the purpose of the knife is to revive the golden dragon in order to defeat the silver dragon (Astarte) who turned evil.

In typical Glodia fashion the main character has stronk magical waifu at his side; Warrick is actually married to Reina and typically, she basically comments on almost everything purchased and sold not to mention takes control during most conversations with important NPCs. Compared to the mostly docile Tamryn/Melwyn she’s an acquired taste.

The engine and gameplay are exactly the same as the first game. This time around you can level up in different weapon classes, but it doesn’t make much of a difference overall. Characters can wear an upper and under armour, which is somewhat unusual.

Game is much easier than Vain Dream 1 (at least until a point, see below). Some enemies are copy-pasted from D&D bestiary (like beholders). Not to mention the game has Elves and Dwarves, unlike the first game.

Perhaps the most memorable part of the game is the party crossing a sea of sand by boat and dealing with Moby Dick.

Near the end of the game is where Warrick needs to go through a tower all by himself to retrieve an armour. I wasn’t underleveled or underequipped yet the living armour enemies inside the tower could instagib Warrick; to make matters worse the game doesn’t even let you save.

Surely this has to be a bug?? Or again maybe some retardo copy protection (I actually had to replay part of Vain Dream 1 because of that)??

So I dropped the game at this point with like 75-80% overall completion.

Can’t say I really regret not playing this til the end as compared to Emerald Dragon and Vain Dream 1, this game is extremely tepid and quite a disappointment. Srsly, fuck Glodia.

x5WsVTT.gif

VGz81SS.gif

i84pHAQ.gif

aX8NxsW.gif

TW1wsi6.gif

igp6xSY.gif

iAVc2BW.gif

icPusiB.gif

xR7K4vF.gif

ejr3qxq.gif

YDtI0UK.gif

OAHFMDV.gif

WehADyf.gif

zdFcJYW.gif

pwUoczi.gif

XXkIN5v.gif

BZfZ873.gif

2e5ihcN.gif

FMBupbi.gif

JtzwkFw.gif

zeSDgM7.gif

KyF0MET.gif

5azbaak.gif

NdNsmLi.gif

2rX60Qk.gif

pGTPUdc.gif

XG4E1R5.gif

k626nac.gif

ZveMEoD.gif

oxupE8M.gif

jhv2suo.gif

wzf7fRO.gif

8KITkVH.gif

82VB9HW.gif

Ot4Aoa1.gif

SQnwq8f.gif

3YLBhOO.gif

KLmBwkt.gif

9a18xu6.gif

uDkSuhn.gif

V0pCA4T.gif

WrcAF1O.gif

4Fjgxb6.gif

lkelDia.gif

HrN828F.gif

UI683Y1.gif

ykpq2St.gif

I have a question for you?How do you choose pc 98 rpg games to play?
Do you just look at the game summaries/screens and see what might interest you or is there a website with reviews/recommendations ?
Cause the pc 98 library of game is huge,and quite hard to find the good stuff considering there is a lack of information for these games.The best i can find are mobygames short summaries and screenshots.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Startling Odyssey 2: Maryuu Sensou for PC Engine CD (1994).

168131-startling-odyssey-ii-maryu-senso-turbografx-cd-front-cover.jpg

This is the prequel to Startling Odyssey (of which Startling Odyssey: Blue Evolution is the remake).

Main character is Robin Solford, father of Blue Evolution protagonist. His son Leon started as a nobody peasant in Blue Evolution, but in this game his father starts out as a p. powerful knight* with a hot princess elder sister called Patricia.

The story follows closely the same plotline of Blue Evolution traveling the world to gather eight amulets; the bad guy is a mad scientist who revives ancient dragons mostly for the lulz. At the start of the game Patricia is kidnapped when dragon and monsters attack the castle.

Leon’s mom from Blue Evolution is playable character in the game, but she has a different name – Julia Monrose, doctor and mage. Her outfit is p. ridiculous (in Blue Evolution you can find this outfit and have the female main character wear it).

Many events/characters are reiterated/alluded to which is nice. Like in Blue Evolution there are many (short) animu style cutscenes. Unlike Blue Evolution several important characters are killed off in dramatic fashiion.

The story is not very original but still enjoyable as characters are fun and there are many humorous skits, RayForce’s main forte; the majority of skits either deal with the monk girl Vivian being jealous of Julia’s big titties or Julia and other girl party members competing for Robin’s dink. There are also various cases of male party members playing peeping Tom and getting fireballed in retaliation. You even get to see both girls’ titties on occasion** – there’s a reason why PC Engine was at one time N° 2 console in Wapan after SNES.

For some mysterious reason this game has an inordinate amount of MIMICS, who are by far the toughest enemies for most of the game even stronger than bosses.

I was prolly underleveled for the final boss (Julia had stupidly low HP) but I didn’t really give a feck about grinding as I had tons of potions and just wanted to finish the game. Like all other big bosses casting Reflect spell on all characters and making use of Accelerator special warrior spell was enough. Damage spells are generally extremely underwhelming.

To tie the game to the first Startling Odyssey the “final” final boss is killed in a long ending cutscene during which Robin also sacrifices himself.

They did not make many games but I quite like this developer RayForce.

* Robin is the descendant of the God of War and eventually acquires a quite ridiculous win-button; an AoE special attack that does 9,999 damage to every enemy but reduces his HP to 1. This is enough to instawin every random encounter late in the game.

** Here’s hoping for Tamryn’s titties in the PC Engine version of Emerald Dragon. :shredder:

UZ8C4qt.jpg

BELiSbs.jpg

vS0OvZp.jpg

tnGKY6K.jpg

K42oGPI.jpg

CIySffQ.jpg

WsUOMBA.jpg

Q8CZc1Y.jpg

Vallga4.jpg

xNSv6bK.jpg

8nnB2Gm.jpg

wMRKPXv.jpg

5c8juTg.jpg

SYV0t9c.jpg

LVpoQL6.jpg

bxviQNj.jpg

T5RybNe.jpg

gZV5U25.jpg

jZxHXeS.jpg

5v96NDJ.jpg

331BEXl.jpg

d2bhSS0.jpg

blbI18B.jpg

iwukIB9.jpg

CGuUS1n.jpg

2MXoeRo.jpg

EfWcEvg.jpg

3D9NaMB.jpg

lRFu159.jpg

t7nYFHZ.jpg

pNetdx0.jpg

hCQQQch.jpg

aYWOalW.jpg

KEgNylf.jpg

biwuu9z.jpg

eJLk0YA.jpg

XQ1cwUq.jpg

baVPeMv.jpg

Hc7lEbo.jpg

rX7ThCe.jpg

GyWDG8M.jpg

bFNl0Fy.jpg

U5yqmZb.jpg

uUNG0WR.jpg

1uSPlOU.jpg

QNusU5r.jpg

hCZivCr.jpg

OikfSAq.jpg

x3fwYAw.jpg

n61L0En.jpg

rKsV7Eh.jpg

t7ihbCS.jpg

Hf44CWp.jpg

BEcmt25.jpg

Y0X79H7.jpg

3It6rxv.jpg

I3Ivup4.jpg

02tCjuH.jpg

kwVX7zC.jpg

3i46SoM.jpg

LIOD60h.jpg

FfD4t0M.jpg

5osA2Gr.jpg

2PZeknB.jpg

txtlImZ.jpg

QlmmlvF.jpg

uUlK4Il.jpg

GAsMHME.jpg

69YMMIJ.jpg

7nRCBjG.jpg

kgMDk12.jpg

F6dgyGA.jpg

lYxjxfh.jpg

Uh32sZ2.jpg

vdWrh1c.jpg

9IpPkp8.jpg

NdIXkUu.jpg

pg52hiA.jpg

HSfAAGZ.jpg

su2PJGE.jpg

bXCs8RB.jpg

5YVEhmj.jpg

PC Engine is a p. kewl platform, added more chit to my list recently.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Burai: Gekan Kanketsuhen for PC98 (1990).

sZz8veH.jpg

oAczS0N.jpg

This is the sequel to Burai: Joukan which was a p. great game. The story picks up right where the first game ended. Basically the villains continue with their mostly petty plans, the grand design involves sending the heroes 6,000 years back in time.

Again each individual character’s chapter (though some characters are together) must be completed before a final chapter where everyone is together. During their individual chapters the main characters are accompanied by some ‘guest’ companions who tend to be pathetically weak* in comparison and level at a glacial pace, resulting in needing to escape from a lot of battles; this is quite irritating in extensive dungeons.

The story feels very rushed and doesn’t make much sense. In particular the lizardman chapter ends on an interesting note where he gains two interesting ‘guest’ companions but his particular story does not continue anymore in the final chapter; the other party members just meet him again at the end of a pyramid dungeon and that’s that. What I found most interesting was some “villains” redeeming themselves in the end.

In the final dungeon the party gets split and certain party members need to fight certain mini-bosses alone or in pairs**; for some this is nearly impossible because during their individual chapter they do not get to train much at all. Moreover during the final chapter they don’t get to train anymore either; when they join the final party everything is railroaded without random encounters at all during the final parts of the game. In order to alleviate this, convenient hidden overpowered items were placed in the next-to-last dungeon that allow the weakest characters (who of course need to face the final boss) to defeat the final boss in one hit.

The game is mostly the same as the first but there are some UI changes, different combat screen and less stats/skills.

Interestingly not all encounters result in combat; e.g. you can encounter travelers to whom you can read their fortunes with crystal orb, tarot card, etc. Or you need to perform in front of travelers to be rewarded by gold and important information.

Unlike the first game it is impossible to fail running from battle hence up to a point fighting can be completely skipped.

Overall I consider the game a disappointment compared to the first. A lazy slamdunk. But I think the series as a whole though could’ve been a good animu.

*except for the Nine-tailed fox

**complete with a shoe-horned totally unnecessary death of two characters

5GX6uMg.gif

FTnusEE.gif

NdgIQ1f.gif

VaAkiMD.gif

FogKlE0.gif

kNFl4ID.gif

GSEfv2o.gif

uawiKML.gif

p3Ewbty.gif

9JjjJAG.gif

i9fvSyd.gif

ZTvaxZe.gif

gPYMG43.gif

YIyNAGp.gif

wQVmkuv.gif

Gl5Xbk5.gif

jak0prV.gif

z50a27S.gif

qVv01UD.gif

kmQEgYA.gif

kRfFurQ.gif

uvoV1pE.gif

pbv1bh2.gif

0Whvtlf.gif

VuWAaer.gif

HLAaull.gif

yVNxU7n.gif

QuDMIJM.gif

Wyr6dnU.gif

eNGufyu.gif

da9Mdyj.gif

TkOqA7c.gif

W9fuKKk.gif

nNt7U9s.gif

P7g3ZQm.gif

NYIKl46.gif

K59ObJB.gif

ZGje3v9.gif

ZQraftk.gif

ThKPpYn.gif

L9IUJTw.gif

F3rlic1.gif

BLc24ux.gif

OamB128.gif

I8o4hP2.gif

Gdx1NS0.gif

wyMBEMC.gif

iUI3ldJ.gif

ORVmfLY.gif

WICg37m.gif

Z0qAtGb.gif

RxQnZ5j.gif

ZjLEjRX.gif

LfGTHXy.gif

vplMdhk.gif

4akzeAB.gif

19iiu3A.gif

cXXQSXj.gif

7NwPdD9.gif

F042o2Z.gif

U4RIIY2.gif

HlXSJ3G.gif

GXnFCvQ.gif

K09lnXl.gif

lAbEKPg.gif

nlN1y8h.gif

gaQw9rB.gif

OJhIFKg.gif

U3p96hf.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Star Breaker by RayForce for PC Engine CD (1994). Dragon Quest XI interfered with my playthrough.

Sci-fi/fantasy hybrid game, sort of similar to Alshark. The main character (Harry) is transported to another galaxy* and crashes with his ship on a planet under attack of Doran empire who want to revive the god of darkness. Like in Alshark you can upgrade your ship (which is expensive). There are ship battles that need to be won to gain access to new planets.

Exactly the same gameplay and story as other RayForce games (including the same peeking on girls when they’re in the shower gags**, obvious betrayal & dramatic death of party member) but I found the combat to be more challenging.

I think I liked the characters better than the ones in Startling Odyssey. Harry’s waifu (Aria) actually has better stats than him the entire game and at some point gets a spell that instantly erases enemies from the battlefield with 100% chance of working (note that some bosses also have a Death spell with 100% chance of working). The remaining two party member slots change throughout the game but it’s usually a melee character and a magic character (there’s one interesting instance where you need to choose one of three amazon sisters – but you’re kinda forced to pick the healer among them).

Star Breaker refers to an uber mcguffin sword Harry obtains near the end of the game. He uses it to single-handedly destroy 50,000 space ships in a cutscene – one of the most ridiculous things ever seen outside Dragonball Z/Saint Seiya.

The final boss is really easy since it can only cast magic and Aria can cast Reflect on entire party.

The game ending couldn’t be better, you get an entire wedding.

*there’s travel from star system to star system but the game shows them as galaxies

**I wanted to do the same with Jade in Dragon Quest XI

sqTCAtd.jpg

412fcTU.jpg

1eGxDrJ.jpg

ibbw1WQ.jpg

nlYWwxi.jpg

EfDLs05.jpg

sSFIlVC.jpg

H8kWN70.jpg

eMKnwME.jpg

dHVnffL.jpg

Jop6IrJ.jpg

koRkjx0.jpg

2ez6OBj.jpg

duYXO2v.jpg

sqzdCd4.jpg

zmRxq66.jpg

umzv56n.jpg

CQeGCwW.jpg

ksucJvA.jpg

bc8TyHc.jpg

KX8HIWs.jpg

a3Kuwwd.jpg

nu4LINn.jpg

rZQ1Xvq.jpg

HBUGU1L.jpg

usBYSIZ.jpg

ICfw4FZ.jpg

NZRAZjM.jpg

Zed1Kcl.jpg

pre3H9h.jpg

xvj2qPF.jpg

z96964z.jpg

ff03guY.jpg

q3B049x.jpg

5VaNtVe.jpg

FuBurRO.jpg

WvEB9Gl.jpg

1mmpdqr.jpg

GXaFmCY.jpg

0CgN5cf.jpg

nE2UErB.jpg

vk6wADa.jpg

q5W8Kh2.jpg

XP0VlY6.jpg

C3RWHel.jpg

5hdoaPr.jpg

l1UJJT3.jpg

5LweJoe.jpg

owKE0ek.jpg

xhdsoAP.jpg

cY5yQii.jpg

xislfXj.jpg

qiVxHPa.jpg

fkzNumv.jpg

3vS6phk.jpg

rQNoFc8.jpg

48jx5zL.jpg

LFGY7tR.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Efera & Jiliora: the emblem from darkness for PC Engine CD (1991) by Brain Grey (Last Armageddon developer).

415241-efera-jiliora-the-emblem-from-darkness-turbografx-cd-front-cover.jpg

Action rpg starring two sassy warrior wymmyn. Like Akatsuki no Bizantira (similar game with female fighter protagonist) this is based on light novel. Jiliora is pure warrior with sword abilities while Efera can cast magic. I chose to play as Efera (game would be better if you could swap between the two at will)… maybe playing as Jiliora is better since you don’t need to worry about the stupid mana most of the game. Not to mention Jiliora is the one with the most interesting background and to top it off at one point receives a special sword named Stormbringer.

It’s not really a button mashing game as you need to time your attacks well. Thankfully Efera has an invisibility spell that reduces a lot of tedium when backtracking. However when leveling up Efera’s MP is not replenished and can only be restored by finding plants in the wilderness that are quite rare (there are no inns at all).

Story is interesting, the music is quite excellent, as are voice over, cutscenes and general look of the game. However gameplay is rather clunky and extremely grindy. Throughout the game majority of enemies give only 1-2 xp and you need a lot of xp to level up. I suppose this is most fun played in co-op (not even sure whether it’s possible for Jiliora to finish the game solo considering some bosses).

Lastly, the game is quite short. Expected more of it but in the end it was alright.

kBnVX55.jpg

QQpE0m5.jpg

HZXcQvZ.jpg

fMmupgp.jpg

fJj4MSs.jpg

eI5nlql.jpg

WaqFhhp.jpg

BP4LHOF.jpg

vdNBq3C.jpg

6KUgvWo.jpg

6ZjMTel.jpg

Qch8eM5.jpg

rY83uLN.jpg

vQiNNiR.jpg

SmyhGCl.jpg

9WFHls9.jpg

sbKwaJd.jpg

HFjkE0a.jpg

8Pwkwmi.jpg

Vl7vkqT.jpg

yCbdxyA.jpg

Okb9MlP.jpg

P3Tnuuq.jpg

qTpj0Xp.jpg

rMkWS3L.jpg

AyJ9TEZ.jpg

77HWUKp.jpg

Er4jHDS.jpg

uIMH1gf.jpg

2cAb1Cz.jpg

kQCelyk.jpg

XBuJLFt.jpg

t9KeuAZ.jpg

hYc4h3N.jpg

7eDLPoE.jpg

ed9ApUW.jpg

QFTal6Q.jpg

eMnCBbj.jpg

NBLheor.jpg

ZGF5LgS.jpg

kgSPDfA.jpg

dFEriEN.jpg

RI8Dwue.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Metal Eye 2 by élf for PC98 (1994).

409604-metal-eye-2-pc-98-front-cover.jpg

395078-metal-eye-2-pc-98-back-cover.jpg

The prequel to Metal Eye 1, which was one of the very first rpgs I played on PC98: post-apocalyptic/cyberpunkish setting, cool protagonist (Findwil), stronk waifus and quirky combat.

Main character in Metal Eye 2 is Wirg, father of Findwil (who actually pwns his daddy at the end of Metal Eye 1). He works as android trainer at technology firm in city of Zenon.

Airia, the same android girl from Metal Eye 1 appears too. Well, and many other characters actually (even prime waifu Mei from first game).

Gameplay is similar to other élf rpgs, i.e. grinding until you are stronk enough to pass on to the next story event. However balance seems to be completely out of whack as after leveling up eventually enemies will give only 1 xp but still hit you for hundreds of damage… also regardless of the game setting you still get to fight some generic fantasy creatures.

Like Dragon Knight 4, some of the hentai scenes are interactive, but at least they’re relatively rare with one big exception: to unlock Aeria’s unarmed combat abilities as she levels up it is necessary to go through hentai scenes again and again when sleeping in an inn.

Absurdly enough this game has a desert tribe of “sand women” who kidnap men into their pyramid to steal their seed. There’s also a pig fairy and a lot of other nonsense like an Arab style town where women are forced to wear burqa.

The final bosses in the game are quite tough as you lose a party member right before and Aeria’s unarmed attacks are completely useless (guess I didn’t hentai her enough?). I could only beat them by a hair because I had bought enough potions in the final town.

Overall quite a mediocre game. In the end what’s most interesting about it is how it ties into the first game.

Kf7wG7r.gif

SneHZcD.gif

iQESzJS.gif

nYYIJkV.gif

aciZAFH.gif

cS5MdTZ.gif

0qVbk3h.gif

FLrqTeO.gif

lxyPtUr.gif

eca2Y37.gif

AlXcKgE.gif

o3vImiQ.gif

OK5Gr58.gif

3dKDdJ7.gif

qvpB2Cy.gif

Aqy91NX.gif

R2EYDhU.gif

DtuvLxq.gif

UuqsmTJ.gif

qWlgpkz.gif

mWYG3yQ.gif

JePhEBn.gif

RdGZbQD.gif

owoyyZ8.gif

mbAdhTq.gif

Cgw7yuD.gif

FpGE6xO.gif

AAgqETl.gif

9VyE5Qx.gif

JMppsLw.gif

pdPRC0k.gif

mrbda7E.gif

lUxrZYv.gif

KzPQIcM.gif

QiNF6iv.gif

UlAYHPe.gif

sSDxx1i.gif

vMCtAHF.gif

rLFdXsS.gif

QWNvOH1.gif

j0KK0Gb.gif

fekmHKZ.gif

Lf0QNyL.gif

ztzqGAO.gif

hB2RGOB.gif

nbxGS3e.gif

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
lel dropped two games so my PC98 rpg list has been cleared :lol:

46 Okunen Monogatari :4/5:/:5/5:

Akatsuki no Bizantira :3/5:/:5/5:

Alshark :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Branmarker :3/5:/:5/5:

Branmarker 2 :4/5:/:5/5:

Briganty :3/5:/:5/5:

Continental :3/5:/:5/5:

Crystal Rinal :1/5:/:5/5:

Dangel :3/5:/:5/5:

D'ark :4/5:/:5/5:

D'ark Gaiden :4/5:/:5/5:

Digan no Maseki :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Dragon Knight :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Dragon Knight 2 :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Dragon Knight 3 :3/5:/:5/5:

Dragon Knight 4 :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Dragon Souseiki :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Early Kingdom :4/5:/:5/5:

Emerald Dragon :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Filsnown :3/5:/:5/5:

Grounseed :2/5:/:5/5:

Gun Blaze :2/5:/:5/5:

Illumina :3/5:/:5/5:

Illusion City :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Kuro no Ken :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Lesser Mern :4/5:/:5/5:

Libros de Chilam Balam :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Metal Eye :4/5:/:5/5:

Metal Eye 2 :2/5:/:5/5:

Nana Eiyuu Monogatari :3/5:/:5/5:

Nana Eiyuu Monogatari 2 :3/5:/:5/5:

Raidy 2 :3/5:/:5/5:

Ray-Gun :2/5:/:5/5:

Rouge no Densetsu :3/5:/:5/5:

Shuten Douji :3/5:/:5/5:

Slayers :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Toushin Toshi/Toushin Toshi 2/Rance/etc. :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Vain Dream :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Vain Dream 2 :3/5:/:5/5:

Words Worth :3/5:/:5/5:

X.NA :3/5:/:5/5:

ギゼ ! XIX :2/5:/:5/5:

ブライ 上巻 :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

ブライ 下巻 完結 :3/5:/:5/5:

ロマンスは剣の輝き :4/5:/:5/5:

天神乱魔 :3/5:/:5/5:

憂楼 ユーロウ Transient Sands :3/5:/:5/5:

魍魎戦記MADARA :3/5:/:5/5:

In the end I played 48 out of my assorted list of 76 rpg games.

Still some pseudo RPG games to go I guess, like Tokyo Twilight Busters.

I noticed from your more detailed posts in this thread that you mainly focused on "story" aspects.

But, I want to know if any of these games are good or at least interesting from a gameplay or "mechanics" perspective?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Emerald Dragon for PC Engine (1995).

It’s a good remake of the PC88 classic, there aren’t many changes. In the beginning you need to fetch Tamryn in a dungeon while in PC88 version you simply meet her right away. There’s also a nice celebration sequence after the demon king is beaten.

Near the end of the game there is a short solo section where Tamryn needs to escape and free her friends, something the original glosses over. The endgame is shorter since all the most powerful items are immediately handed to you on a silver platter, while in the original you had to look for them in a big dungeon.

In combat, when any character except Atrushan dies it’s not an immediate game over like in the original. Also, Tamryn has three different version of her oneshot beam attack.

Some of the dialogue is voiced and the cutscenes are impressive. The music is also great.

Maybe due to prior knowledge of the game it took me a bit more than 20 hours to finish.

NdKGKA6.png

efyMPUa.png

k2v0bOY.png

An9preX.png

X8QVl9O.png

EdZNKc9.png

RAMhQ2j.png

cT9ggUL.png

CzNOdn2.png

ASxWi2x.png

orXDRLj.png

XrsIvgk.png

zx0pM5j.png

UlRvO5d.png

AIyrQTz.png

UpO9k1Z.png

QIZA4NA.png

6bsvovp.png

82OtTBd.png

DN4G9Bz.png

fnTKN9p.png

XY96jS1.png

Xi5hX49.png

TvewHuo.png

WYvvt5V.png

JugOl8N.png

UWlldy1.png

ykgIJaI.png

as9Gj6Q.png

LFvK6sH.png

PSOyUPV.png

2jeZAMn.png

Dx7dVRi.png

yB03Grc.png

DF6khV5.png

4JMpkfs.png

Q8bFJFH.png

oAEZ16H.png

wh407Pw.png

byxrZB7.png

xDSIHPu.png

2NcSIAH.png

f3diWTX.png

NJ2j5sW.png

JzDb1eJ.png

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Played Emerald Dragon for PC Engine (1995).

It’s a good remake of the PC88 classic, there aren’t many changes. In the beginning you need to fetch Tamryn in a dungeon while in PC88 version you simply meet her right away. There’s also a nice celebration sequence after the demon king is beaten.

Near the end of the game there is a short solo section where Tamryn needs to escape and free her friends, something the original glosses over. The endgame is shorter since all the most powerful items are immediately handed to you on a silver platter, while in the original you had to look for them in a big dungeon.

In combat, when any character except Atrushan dies it’s not an immediate game over like in the original. Also, Tamryn has three different version of her oneshot beam attack.

Some of the dialogue is voiced and the cutscenes are impressive. The music is also great.

Maybe due to prior knowledge of the game it took me a bit more than 20 hours to finish.

Incidentally, I also just finished Emerald Dragon for the SNES (fan translated) It seems like it was basically the PC engine version, only with less anime cutscenes.

I played it on my phone with an emulator mostly on the train. It's a game you can easily pick up and somewhat addictive.

33621-Emerald_Dragon_%28Japan%29_[En_by_TransCorp_v1.1]-1.jpg

Pros:
-Interesting (even if it's cliche) story/characters, made even better by the playful translation.
-Turn based combat with action points, movement on the map, etc. You can set the formation of your party.
-Surprisingly not the classic sucky itemization of jrpgs. Weapons/armor have many stats and not only damage/defense matters.
-Nice presentation, some cool graphics/portraits/animations.

33621-Emerald_Dragon_%28Japan%29_[En_by_TransCorp_v1.1]-7.png

Cons:
-You can only control the main character in combat, all other characters fight on their own. This means that you can only hit with your sword and maybe once in a while use your dragon power. Basically you wait most of the time for the battle to auto-complete and hope your companions don't do something stupid. :argh:
-Only two characters gain levels , the rest of the party members come and go with fixed levels, sometimes when they come back they are of higher level. :why the fuck:
-Shitload of combat with lengthy animations where you mostly wait for it to auto-complete.
-Game is linear as fuck. A couple of small sidequests, but the rest is on rails. You see this nice map but it never opens up.

My biggest disappointment is the combat system. It could have been great if you controlled all the party and everyone gained levels. Right now it can be tedious waiting for your one character to play. I probably wouldn't have finished the game if I didn't use the turbo button during combat.

Even so, I had fun. It's a nice game to pickup to pass time on the train or in the bathroom.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
:lol::lol::lol:

Thought this game was rpg judging from screenshots but it turned out a 2 hour walking simulator where you walk from waifu to waifu in a labyrinth, solve some basic puzzle and finish game after unlocking every H scene.

Only memorable part is main character gender bending two minutes into the game and getting violated by a statue's yuge granite dick to turn back to a boy

VtlM8CA.png

6LqEE00.png

DPrsaiG.png

0vqaOsW.png

uUDHMau.png

bkEE5Kq.png

EDyf4Eg.png

zEdhFby.png

AkoVKrJ.png

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
lel dropped two games so my PC98 rpg list has been cleared :lol:

46 Okunen Monogatari :4/5:/:5/5:

Akatsuki no Bizantira :3/5:/:5/5:

Alshark :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Branmarker :3/5:/:5/5:

Branmarker 2 :4/5:/:5/5:

Briganty :3/5:/:5/5:

Continental :3/5:/:5/5:

Crystal Rinal :1/5:/:5/5:

Dangel :3/5:/:5/5:

D'ark :4/5:/:5/5:

D'ark Gaiden :4/5:/:5/5:

Digan no Maseki :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Dragon Knight :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Dragon Knight 2 :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Dragon Knight 3 :3/5:/:5/5:

Dragon Knight 4 :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Dragon Souseiki :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Early Kingdom :4/5:/:5/5:

Emerald Dragon :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Filsnown :3/5:/:5/5:

Grounseed :2/5:/:5/5:

Gun Blaze :2/5:/:5/5:

Illumina :3/5:/:5/5:

Illusion City :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Kuro no Ken :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Lesser Mern :4/5:/:5/5:

Libros de Chilam Balam :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Metal Eye :4/5:/:5/5:

Metal Eye 2 :2/5:/:5/5:

Nana Eiyuu Monogatari :3/5:/:5/5:

Nana Eiyuu Monogatari 2 :3/5:/:5/5:

Raidy 2 :3/5:/:5/5:

Ray-Gun :2/5:/:5/5:

Rouge no Densetsu :3/5:/:5/5:

Shuten Douji :3/5:/:5/5:

Slayers :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Toushin Toshi/Toushin Toshi 2/Rance/etc. :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Vain Dream :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Vain Dream 2 :3/5:/:5/5:

Words Worth :3/5:/:5/5:

X.NA :3/5:/:5/5:

ギゼ ! XIX :2/5:/:5/5:

ブライ 上巻 :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:/:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

ブライ 下巻 完結 :3/5:/:5/5:

ロマンスは剣の輝き :4/5:/:5/5:

天神乱魔 :3/5:/:5/5:

憂楼 ユーロウ Transient Sands :3/5:/:5/5:

魍魎戦記MADARA :3/5:/:5/5:

In the end I played 48 out of my assorted list of 76 rpg games.

Still some pseudo RPG games to go I guess, like Tokyo Twilight Busters.
Try Elmknight if you want some pew pew with good music and gfx.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Thought this game was rpg judging from screenshots but it turned out a 2 hour walking simulator where you walk from waifu to waifu in a labyrinth, solve some basic puzzle and finish game after unlocking every H scene.

Only memorable part is main character gender bending two minutes into the game and getting violated by a statue's yuge granite dick to turn back to a boy
The Windows version of that game is weird - it's a complete rewrite using the same CGs (touched up for Windows resolution) and becomes a regular Visual Novel instead of a walking sim.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
But, I want to know if any of these games are good or at least interesting from a gameplay or "mechanics" perspective?
Illusion City is bretty good apart from...
an exploit that can net you infinite money if you start larping a dirty シュロモ.

Not the game per se, but god this late 80s/early 90s cover art style is marvelous...
80227-illusion-city-gen-ei-toshi-msx-front-cover.jpg

2de68f8a1b239668fa6a133b22a0b5c8.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom