Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old/obscure/underrated JRPGs

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't recall having much choice. I think there were like 1-2 people available, and one of them wouldn't join because I wasn't high enough level yet. Everyone else either wasn't there or told me to fuck off.

Stabwound

Arcane
This is by far one of the most obscure and niche games I've heard of, Falcom's Japanese 2002 PC exclusive "Dinosaur: Ressurection", which is a remake of their '89 game "Dinosaur".

I've heard of the game, and I wanted to play it, but it's only in Japanese and there is no English patch, making it pretty inaccessible to most people here. Including me.

nomask7

Arcane
I don't recall having much choice. I think there were like 1-2 people available, and one of them wouldn't join because I wasn't high enough level yet. Everyone else either wasn't there or told me to fuck off.

You should be able to choose from six different companions. Some of them are poor choices, others great.

I played with the knight character and had the healer as companion. Here's what an online character guide has on that combination:

"Another great duo. Kamil's strength will push through the enemies while Valsu's magic will keep him alive. Not only that, but Valsu has an excellent array of support magic as well, plus the best ability of all: Elixer. This skill will heal all Hp & Mp, allowing you to cast it as many times as you'd like. This team will work extremely well."

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
This is by far one of the most obscure and niche games I've heard of, Falcom's Japanese 2002 PC exclusive "Dinosaur: Ressurection", which is a remake of their '89 game "Dinosaur".
I've heard of the game, and I wanted to play it, but it's only in Japanese and there is no English patch, making it pretty inaccessible to most people here. Including me.

Indeed but there's some hope for an official english steam release since XSeed(Falcom's current NA distributer) has their main translator pushing for them to do it(along with Xanadu Next).

Damned Registrations

I just loaded up my last save. Was playiing the robot with the dwarf as an ally. Looked around town, found the alien and the knight. Accidentally recuited the knight (translation goooo!). Well, at least he can heal. I think I only had the dwarf because he was good for autoattacking while I grinded levels with massive frameskipping. Went to the nearest rune. Most enemies couldn't really hurt Lux, but could smack Kamil for 20-40 hp. He had enough mp to heal 10 times for 40 hp each time. Heal 2 was there also but it cost over 4 times as much so basically useless. Lux has ~100 hp and Kamil ~77 for reference. Explore the cave, find wind rune, exit out, warp to latest town using it since I have no idea where to go. Been here already, thrashed robo place, everything looted. Must have missed the rune on the way here and backtracked. So I go through the nearest door, into what seems to be the cave I just left (all looks the same, same enemies) but there's a yellow dot on radar, so I go to it. Hit level 14 on the way for Lux (this is after like dozens of battles between the cave and the giant desert on the way here). Unopened chest. Open. Mimic. Heal Kamil to full hp in case it's strong. He dies in 1 hit anyways. Lux would have died in 2 but barely survives thanks to a lucky crit, poisoned. Used items to heal. Went back the way I came, through other end of robot town. Another cave, looks the same, same enemies. Some dude standing there. A boss (not a companion). I figure I'll fight him just to see how tough he is. Hits me for 60-80. So he would have one shot Kamil, who has like 20 less defense and only 80 hp. I'm hitting him for 13 out of apparently like 200 hp.

So yeah, I'd need to grind for like another 50 fights to get to the point where that fucker can't just one shot my companion without even scoring a crit. Probably another 100 battles more before I can actually fight him, since getting hit for 70 and healing for 40 each round isn't exactly a winning strategy. Maybe the healer chick can heal better but she'd definitely get one shot at this level, and is either in some other town or not willing to join me.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished Trails in the Sky. Fuck, for what is basically a prologue to the 'epic' this is quite the long game. Disregarding the bad habits it has to maximize play time, and the terrible counterintuitive and impossible stuff with the books its ok too. A bit easy since the combat is not hard at all, but one of the better written jrpgs probably and one of the better portable interface i've seen, quick loading too, this had a competent team all-around. You can also avoid battles, which is nice. Btw, the game economy is very controlled: monsters don't have money, only sidequests give it.
However, from the ending, i suspect the 'larger picture' is typical jrpg 'epic' fare.

Basically the game is impressive because (if you're mad enough to check every npc at each story stage):
709062885.jpg

with a high quality translation

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Trails FC and SC were originally supposed to be one game before broken off in twwo(much like Ys 1+2). That would have been an epically long game.

From what I've seen,SC has a pretty interesting new game mechanic according to the wiki, "Combat: Vanish Rush is a new ability allowing two characters to attack simultaneously a group of enemies. At later levels, this ability is increased to allow stronger attacks against enemies." and a better thought out import system than Witcher/BW games, "Data transfer: At the beginning of the game, the player can transfer data from their save file they had from FC. Depending on the Bracer rank bonus, equipment and new orbments will be available. In this case, the result of bracer quests will have an effect on the dialogues of people met in FC.".

Link

Such a long wait for this. :(

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They apparently released the Sora no Kiseki trilogy packaged together on the PS3 with high-res graphics in Japan; hopefully XSEED localizes that since the PSP is pretty much a dead system at this point.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
They apparently released the Sora no Kiseki trilogy packaged together on the PS3 with high-res graphics in Japan; hopefully XSEED localizes that since the PSP is pretty much a dead system at this point.

XSeed has hinted at releasing the Kiseki games on Steam(that being the most probable course of action) and possibly PS3.

nomask7

Arcane
I just loaded up my last save. Was playiing the robot with the dwarf as an ally. Looked around town, found the alien and the knight. Accidentally recuited the knight (translation goooo!). Well, at least he can heal. I think I only had the dwarf because he was good for autoattacking while I grinded levels with massive frameskipping. Went to the nearest rune. Most enemies couldn't really hurt Lux, but could smack Kamil for 20-40 hp. He had enough mp to heal 10 times for 40 hp each time. Heal 2 was there also but it cost over 4 times as much so basically useless. Lux has ~100 hp and Kamil ~77 for reference. Explore the cave, find wind rune, exit out, warp to latest town using it since I have no idea where to go. Been here already, thrashed robo place, everything looted. Must have missed the rune on the way here and backtracked. So I go through the nearest door, into what seems to be the cave I just left (all looks the same, same enemies) but there's a yellow dot on radar, so I go to it. Hit level 14 on the way for Lux (this is after like dozens of battles between the cave and the giant desert on the way here). Unopened chest. Open. Mimic. Heal Kamil to full hp in case it's strong. He dies in 1 hit anyways. Lux would have died in 2 but barely survives thanks to a lucky crit, poisoned. Used items to heal. Went back the way I came, through other end of robot town. Another cave, looks the same, same enemies. Some dude standing there. A boss (not a companion). I figure I'll fight him just to see how tough he is. Hits me for 60-80. So he would have one shot Kamil, who has like 20 less defense and only 80 hp. I'm hitting him for 13 out of apparently like 200 hp.

So yeah, I'd need to grind for like another 50 fights to get to the point where that fucker can't just one shot my companion without even scoring a crit. Probably another 100 battles more before I can actually fight him, since getting hit for 70 and healing for 40 each round isn't exactly a winning strategy. Maybe the healer chick can heal better but she'd definitely get one shot at this level, and is either in some other town or not willing to join me.

If you have to grind a lot in this game, you're doing something wrong. The level scaling, which may not be limited to bosses, means it's futile and actually harmful since you can over-level your equipment.

You need to start from the beginning, choose good characters, and grind as little as possible. There are, like, two or three points in the first half of the game where you have to grind for maybe fifteen (15) battles, but that's about it if you have a good team and don't suck in general.

Valsu is an old dude, not a chick.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Ugh. PSP or bust.

Anyway, i'm desperate enough for sjrpg that i'm looking at Gungnir seriously.

Gungnir, let me remind you, has this (terrible) kind of artstyle:
Gungnir-Screenshots-for-The-PSP-4.jpg

gungnir6003.jpg

But oh, does it seem complex...

Damned Registrations

If you have to grind a lot in this game, you're doing something wrong. The level scaling, which may not be limited to bosses, means it's futile and actually harmful since you can over-level your equipment.

You need to start from the beginning, choose good characters, and grind as little as possible. There are, like, two or three points in the first half of the game where you have to grind for maybe fifteen (15) battles, but that's about it if you have a good team and don't suck in general.

Valsu is an old dude, not a chick.
You've got to be shitting me. You think that fight would be easier if I were level 9 or something? I wouldn't even be able to scratch the fucker. Lux doesn't HAVE any items to over level. Neither does Wilme. I'd imagine it's irrelevant for the casters too.

Terpsichore

Arcane
http://site.scfworks.com/

Both are RPGmaker games but they are pretty good. Last Scenario is your traditional JRPG (even the main character is utterly retarded on purpose) and Exit Fate is very much like Suikoden, it has both a big cast of characters you can recruit and army battles.

Both game are full of pretty hard fights and there are some minigames.

nomask7

Arcane
You've got to be shitting me.
Or speaking from experience, as well as what I've read from other sources by people who've actually played this game a little more than you.

But by all means, stick to your delusion that the game requires insane amounts of grinding. Your loss, not mine.

Damned Registrations

The most in depth walkthrough on gamefaqs said:
D'oh! Another cave. Around here you should stop and fight the local hordes of monsters (if you are rather hurt, though, you should use the Wind Rune and go back and rest/save) until you get up to level 15 or 16 (preferably 16). You'll find out why soon enough ^_^

The path through the cave is pretty straightforward, you'll notice
that there are two ways leading north... there is a right way and a
wrong way. The wrong way is to the left, and it will take you quite a
ways to the north before dumping you into a dead-end. So instead, take
the right path leading north. But along the way, you will find... Pison
again. He's not too happy about what happened last time you fought, and
he is determined to settle the score this time. Before you fight make
sure you are at full health (and have SAVED THE GAME) and have B
PROTECTs and B POWERs.

****RED PISON****

HP: 275
EXP: 2203
GOLD: 1000

Attacks:
-Regular whip attack (VERY strong)
-Casts CURE 2 when low on HP

Well, Pison has learned one new trick, and that's to use the CURE
2 spell when he's low on HP. This will recover 90 HP, and it is rather
annoying when he does it right when you are about to kill him. Ack...
anyway, just use the same strategy you used to fight any boss (i.e use
B PROTECT, then B POWER... this time for you AND your companion), then
DEFEND/ATTACK, cast attack spells, and heal. Red Pison is tough, but as
always, provided you are around level 16 and have enough means for
healing, you should be able to take him down (and he gives you quite a
chunk of EXP and GOLD when you do so, too!).
The rpg classics shrine said:
2. Earth Cave
This is very tough. The enemies are strong, and there are lots of them. Part way through you will see the gate. To open it you knew to use the earth key you got from the ghost. Be careful through the rest of the way. There is a monster named Trick in one of the treasure boxes. It will try to petrify you the first round, then hit you for +70 damage! The best way to beat him is to petrify him first, then use ice on him. The plus side to this is you get 220 exp. and a random gem. I got a sapphire (worth 2500!). The bounty hunter, Pison, who you meet near the end, is much harder than the enemies. To beat this guy you need to be at least level 11, preferably 14. The recommended strategy to beating him is to use the defend-attack strategy (it does extra damage). So in other words, defend, attack, heal. After you get through the cave you find a new town with new stuff to buy with all that money you got in the cave.

3. Melnam
After getting through the earth cave, explore the town and recruit any allies, if you can. You can get a map here, but you need to track down Gain. Anyway head west toward the next town. In this town make sure you get an ally. You will need him later. And last make sure to talk to Brantu. You'll find him in the back of the inn. Now go west to the next cave and find the wind rune. Then find the way to a path blocked with rocks. If Brantu is with you he will open the door.

4. Melnam Ruins
Since leveling up takes soooo long, I cant tell you suggested levels anymore. Anyway go through Melnam until you get to a cave. Go north and meet red Pison. This guy is hard and the reason I hacked my stats. After the fight continue through the cave until you get out and enter Eygus. After you get there talk to the sage in front of the building. He will let you into a cave that leads to the southern edge of the continent. After you exit the cave head south to the town on the shoreline.

They also list precise hp totals for the enemies and bosses.

But no, I'm sure your personal experience and unnamable sources should trump my personal experience and the two most prominent sources of information I could find.

Damned Registrations

I just don't want someone to accidentally try playing that game because it got recommended by someone here and then run around talking about how even jrpgs with 'no grinding' require hours of grinding. Shit like this is what gives the genre a bad name. If you played through 7th Saga without grinding it's because you walked in circles for hours because you couldn't find your own ass with a map and two assistants.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Mind you these days, grinding doesn't really matter so much, because on most emulators there is an accelerate function, which makes even the most grindy(yeah that's probably not a word, but oh well) games playable. The accelerate on the snes emulator's is way over the top, you can't tell what is going on at all.... but you can still mash "A" to grind :D

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I just don't want someone to accidentally try playing that game because it got recommended by someone here and then run around talking about how even jrpgs with 'no grinding' require hours of grinding. Shit like this is what gives the genre a bad name. If you played through 7th Saga without grinding it's because you walked in circles for hours because you couldn't find your own ass with a map and two assistants.
Still doesn't hold a candle to old games like Arabian Nights - Sabaku no Seirei Ou, where, indeed, you don't need grinding, because exactly every 4 steps there will be a unavoidable random encounter.

Fucking breath of fire and final fantasy have much to answer for

nomask7

Arcane

You're playing the game with a crappy duo, and now you're saying it absolutely requires a lot of grinding. Dumb fuck, much?

You got one thing right though; the bosses aren't level scaled, only the characters you have to fight are. But this only reinforces my point: it's not a super duper difficult game if you choose a good character and a good companion since you can always grind if you feel overwhelmed in the dungeons. I almost never did, so it's more a question of having a good party and not sucking as a gamer in this type of game.

If you played through 7th Saga without grinding it's because you walked in circles for hours because you couldn't find your own ass with a map and two assistants.

In fact, I was pretty good at avoiding the combat encounters (moving dots), even in dungeons, so with this in mind you're doubly incorrect with your nonsense.

I just don't want someone to accidentally try playing that game because it got recommended by someone here and then run around talking about how even jrpgs with 'no grinding' require hours of grinding. Shit like this is what gives the genre a bad name.

I never said 7th Saga was an example of a JRPG that didn't require grinding. I said Chrono Trigger was:

What do you mean by the 7th Saga being grindy? With the exception of Chrono Trigger, pretty much every JRPG has tons of random combat encounters that are as a rule rather difficult to escape from. The 7th Saga is about the only JRPG where random encounters added something to the game rather than distracted from it. The dungeons could actually be exciting.

Grinding a little bit on a few occasions was advisable, but more than that and you'd be shooting yourself in the foot because the bosses were level scaled but your equipment wasn't.

I've not beaten the game -- I guess I got something like half-way through -- but I almost never did any grinding.

A little bit of grinding and "tons of difficult to avoid combat encounters" typically amounting to the same thing, in practice.

In fact, due to the possibility of avoiding combat encounters in 7th Saga (by avoiding the moving dots on the map), the game actually requires you to engage in less combat than most JRPGs.

Damned Registrations

If you define 'most jrpgs' as the grindiest 10% of jrpgs ever made, perhaps. I've played more of them than anyone else on this forum. 7th Saga is one of the worst offenders ever.

Some good stuff here. I would definitely nominate Rudra No Hihou.

I'm gonna start up a game of this. Anything I should know in terms of permanently missable stuff? I hate being 3/4 through a game and realizing you missed some obscure, irreplacable item somewhere because you didn't go back to some random village and talk to a stranger at an arbitrary point in time or something.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
If you define 'most jrpgs' as the grindiest 10% of jrpgs ever made, perhaps. I've played more of them than anyone else on this forum. 7th Saga is one of the worst offenders ever.

Some good stuff here. I would definitely nominate Rudra No Hihou.

I'm gonna start up a game of this. Anything I should know in terms of permanently missable stuff? I hate being 3/4 through a game and realizing you missed some obscure, irreplacable item somewhere because you didn't go back to some random village and talk to a stranger at an arbitrary point in time or something.
I'm not really sure... when I play a JRPG I talk to everyone and go everywhere, I even try opening all the barrels and shit. So I have no idea if during my play through I found hidden stuff or not, it's not something I worry about. I will say that having a pen and paper nearby can be handy so that you can jot down spell "names" so that you can transfer them between char's if you want. Have fun :).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Rudra actually made me a little bit paranoid since i suspected that either:
a ) there are spells i haven't even seen due to the scheme
b ) shorter spells cost less mana, and any word is a spell; so maybe there are 'primordial' phonemes that are the most cost effective way to get a spell?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom