Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old/obscure/underrated JRPGs

Alkarl

Learned
It doesn't have micro transactions at all..

The worst things about that ports are
1) It has "Connect to Servers" DRM when you start it up (which kills the point of a Mobile game if you live in countries with shit reception)
2) Phone controls suck for out of battle movement.

That's it.

Well the translation is kinda shit too but you're not really playing this game for the prose

Thanks for correcting me. Those are fairly standard issues for a mobile game, so no huge deal. I'll have to pick it up!

Jinn

Arcane
I'm holding out hope that they'll port Romancing Saga 2 to PC.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm holding out hope that they'll port Romancing Saga 2 to PC.

I'll settle for Vita English version. I mean, you already can play Android games on PC with something like BlueStacks, right?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Lesser Mern, a 1992 rpg for FM Towns/PC98.

2EydYTF.jpg
v46Hrwm.jpg

This is a truly epic game, it must’ve had a very big budget back in the day because it starts with a 20 minute intro movie (it takes two floppies to play); the FM Towns version is even fully voiced (and apparently by notable voice actors at the time).

The game is overall quite esthetically pleasing, in particular boss* and monster design; music is also p. decent.

Uncharacteristically, the protagonist actually has a father, mother and little brother whom you can interact with in the beginning of the game – aside from Chrono Trigger I can’t really think of any other rpg that did this.

There are no party members in the game, instead you use two summons; there are a lot of summons you pick up in the course of the game, they level up and grow progressively stronger but can only be healed by taking them to special totems scattered about the game world.

As for magic, in the game spells can only be learnt by finding scrolls in dungeons (Branmarker worked the same in this regard).

In order to further the plot the game almost seems an adventure game at times; various plot critical items need to be found, either by dungeon exploration, sidequests (e.g. saving someone from a dungeon or slavers) or simply by searching around. For example early in the game I needed to find a breath mask to gain access to an underwater dungeon, it was locked in a dungeon room the key to which I found in a trash heap).

I liked how one of the early game plot related items –magical earrings from a princess- served as a translation device for the rest of the game – reminiscent of the translation bracelet/ring/whatever to communicate with the Dezolians in Phantasy Star I.

As for the dungeons they are usually multi layered and many of them are pitch dark; sight is very limited without using a torch or a lantern. But even with illumination it is very easy to miss a pathway or a staircase, which can be highly annoying when you’re stuck trying to find a plot critical item. There is no auto mapping and though there are items to shortly reveal dungeon layout, they are too expensive to be useful.

Combat encounters are not that frequent and can actually be completely avoided if one chooses to; encounters on the map appear in the form of whirlwinds rushing towards the player character that can be dodged.

The game is p. short, though. It has 4 play discs but disc 3 & 4 are merely to accommodate the final boss fight and cutscenes.

*Final boss is quite memorable, a redhead with massive tits.

3eZrTne.png

zOl2fcP.png

c7W4hCZ.png

hoLbT00.png

pF9VSJm.png

By90ISG.png

Zy5Ggvl.png

GOMpsyP.png

9zwSJUW.png

2Kq2wRZ.png

dplK0dV.png

uUyUoW9.png

ufZ057G.png

vEWrH7w.png

c2pGsCw.png

wbGjwmC.png

GjFt9t9.png

kwekA50.png

Q84hfij.png

fPWkeAO.png

yrI5gX1.png

4bKJnTy.png

KATowFk.png

mR1j7jh.png

ayPvyOX.png

qwbMO7a.png

hzb7jCc.png

aoIvfde.png

013KpjV.png

LiZI6FP.png

dZFio35.png

S96GyNh.png

WeF2I8t.png

ZICo5TX.png

1Ngcq0z.png

cIFa46i.png

tPOJT7p.png

pS0l8st.png

AIsEWsP.png

1nuEgg9.png

fmtjZ8T.png

fX1xj87.png

u5znMZq.png

ibnf650.png

3eAMNxU.png

muABWko.png

fQqAQVj.png

WX3fsEn.png

1Gxo4ET.png

Qt3LKfG.png

pLVs5aJ.png

8lKG1oz.png

MXmnEur.png

33SbulX.png

IQVblgo.png

JfvEQyF.png

760CXLC.png

ghbdV3O.png

deuxhero

Arcane
MS Saga is this weird cross between every jRPG cliche and every Gundam cliche that somehow manages to be enjoyable despite (and in many ways because of) it.

Battle has a lot of interesting stuff. You have an "energy" stats that resets between battles. Certain attacks cost more or less energy to use, and some parts can give you more starting energy or energy growth (It's similar to Bravely Default's Brave/Default system but a lot more fleshed out). Each suit has a limited inventory space for weapons (a grid) in addition to their built in attacks (punching and any head vulcans ect) that can be selected per attack, and by early-mid game most characters will have special attacks that fire everything of a certain type for a single fixed energy cost (so it might be worth sticking a bunch of low space weak weapons onto a suit instead of more utility based things). Attacks are divided into melee/ranged and physical/energy, which a lot of enemies have very unbalanced resistances to and interact differently with each character's special attacks.

Unfortunately, it's one of those games where very small problems ruin everything that is followed by a really awesome sequel that just fixed everything while featuring a much more unconventional plot, except it never got a sequel (not even Japan only). There's also a limited number of the large energy cells needed to build new suits: In a super dickish move this is exactly ([mobile suits in game]-[the suits you get for free]+1) large energy cells, and quite a few of the suits you get for free are ones you can build way before getting them for free. Even if you are not a completionist, the free suits you can't make often vastly overshadow the ones you can, just to shit on you for spending time and credits to build them. For example Zeta era suits become buyable just a short time before you are showered in Gundam variants that wildly outclass them.

The world map is HUGE (it's based on Earth), and geographically it's got a lot of detail (lots of mountains and forest to get lost in) but it's completely empty except for the plot important places and you rarely know exactly where you going. This makes overland travel really frustrating as you constantly run into dead ends. Something to do on this large world map beyond random encounters (even just some treasure to find) would have improved the game immensely.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished D'ark Gaiden, 1993 sequel to 1992 dungeon crawler D'ark.

jNqtyin.jpg

As the title suggests, it's not really a sequel but merely a sidestory that expands on two events from the first game.

There's a part with Felnous, white knight who is defeated at the end of first game and Zarsch, black dragon knight. Both go through only one dungeon, but each dungeon has five p. expansive floors and there's a focus on solving puzzles and avoiding traps to progress.

Both main characters get a sidekick who occasionally helps them out but more often than are there to provide comic relief.

Main problem with the game is that Felnous is simply a very drab character compared to the "evil" main characters of the first game. Plus there's the fact that in the first game he gets cucked by the main protagonist again and again (in fact, the sidestory takes place right after Felnous is tricked into killing his own sister and right before his waifu is killed). The highlight of his part is right at the end when one of the evil protagonists of the first game shows up out of nowhere and Felnous' sidekick (who managed to be even more annoying) is killed.

Zarsch's part on the other is good from start to finish with some fun interplay with his sidekick (a fellow dragon knight) who's actually competent. They're basically an Ashram + Pirotess copy paste.

I like the Lodoss inspired D'ark setting, pity a proper sequel to the first game was never developed. The developer only made two Nana Eiyuu Monogatari games after this and then focused fully on publishing mainly C's Ware titles.

7zWtotn.jpg

z4THlFK.jpg

GiH3DZ1.jpg

EILuaUE.jpg

SJ3WGiC.jpg

Evob8Zy.jpg

uE7ZJd9.jpg

zm6fbHQ.jpg

fIcrpIa.jpg

Yl3CkGH.jpg

EVlspbX.jpg

Nfzckq0.jpg

E59PRvk.jpg

vRP8qdR.jpg

Ecif74f.jpg

I19SeQg.jpg

qkbq5Qf.jpg

N1OXfsS.jpg

cLPdsqE.jpg

bagcD1q.jpg

u0cbEgF.jpg

Pfskmjc.jpg

qMYelMU.jpg

UwlZkLa.jpg

ZA7iaAF.jpg

Xc0BuZm.jpg

jfVyR4M.jpg

WLZQ5LQ.jpg

YJUHa1O.jpg

heH4HdS.jpg

vXhTwJg.jpg

79wfczc.jpg

p5LvXzx.jpg

RxDrLPD.jpg

JQrDb6r.jpg

kXfBNzn.jpg

8UPHyWT.jpg

vsLX6ba.jpg

iXgpWpw.jpg

LYFj2N1.jpg

6FSTvqo.jpg

fOWtP6c.jpg

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Two interesting ones I've played quite recently, relatively classic but good :

. Lagrange Point (NES) : This one is a sci-fi JRPG, and a very good one.
Exploration is nice, it's not free but you visit different planets and you have to unlock new suits, vehicles and key items to reach previously unreachable areas, revisiting previous planets from time to time. The third tier of the game is particularly good because you eventually open a big playground with a lot of things to do.
You start with one character, and you have to choose your companions from a big cast of characters to find, many of them are theorically missable I guess, and they all have their own skills.
Encounter rate is high but the classic turn-based combat is fast and it is above average, the total number of different skills isn't impressive but at least you get to use a lot of them ; the characters are different and trying to build the best team is fun and useful.
The game is not very talkative but the story is nice, with a lot of cool situations (and it feels like a 100% sci-fi game, unlike Star Ocean 3 for example). I must say I haven't played some if not most of the usual suspect ones (Xenogears...) yet but I think it's the single best sci-fi JRPG I've played so far.
LagrangePointJPBoxShotNES.jpg
0.png
2.png

5.png
7.png
lagrange-23.png

. Super shell monsters story (SNES) : This one is a very classic fantasy JRPG but it's interesting if only because of the amount of content (locations, quests, characters, skills).
You start with one character and there is a big cast to choose your companions from, a lot of them are available as soon as you reach the adventurer's guild and some more must be found (at least one is secret). Each character has its own class, they're all very different with different stats and they all have a big range unique skills to unlock.
The classic turn-based fights themselves are OK, a few enemies near the end have some very weird skills but overall the game would have benefited from more enemy skill variety.
In addition to the companions which help you in combat, you'll also find other ones which only come with a non-combat skill.
The world is big and filled with a lot of content, exploration is not completely linear, there are some parts in the story with multiple things to do, a lot of side content, in particular each character or so has is own side quest (generally including a dungeon) and you'll have to bring the character with you if you want to unlock the side quest, so if you want to complete every side quest you'll have to use every character at least for a little while. The game is long, and some dungeons are very good with a lot of hidden stuff, in particular the first ones.
The story is nothing to talk about but the locations are varied and the dialogs are often funny, you also get different dialogs depending on the characters you bring with you, not that they are particularly interesting but it's still a cool feature.
SSMS001.bmp
SSMS006.bmp
SSMS007.bmp

Last edited:

Nostaljaded

Savant
うたわれるもの 偽りの仮面 (PS4/PS3/PSVita) [2015]
Utawarerumono: The False Faces

AVG (VN) + SRPG, same developer as Dungeon Travelers 2

iDzZ2W0.png

Gameplay mechanics

8TGGXdc.png

+ Option to attack first and then move later
~ No add. damage for side/back attack. Good idea here as less (things to consider) is more, see below
+ Optional Timed (Tap/Charge) combos aka Legend of Dragoon style with more variations and progression

Tap Action
YZG2njE.gif

Charge aka Hold & Release Action
g6sWrYZ.gif

Perfect timing will crit, gaining add. damage/healing & morale.
Off-timing (it's reasonable) allows for combo continuation.

Defend (Tap) Action
hEHA6F4.gif

Defence skills (if available) is % activated & may have limited uses to lessen the damage received.

Option to disabled all timed actions but will still receive enemy crits.

+ Skills can be used on every turn as long as morale requirement (if any) is met
+ Upon reaching max morale, will gain an extra turn, self-buff and the ability to execute ultimate skills
+ Items are only for equipping, like modifying attributes/status/buffs/passives/elements; healing is done through skill usage
~ 7 element affinities - 4 elements triangle (Earth>Fire>Water>Wind [yes, it's unintuitive]), 2 opposing elements (Light<>Dark) & null element
+ Stages may buff certain elements due to environment/conditions
+ Weak protagonist

Player-friendly features
+ Movement & Skill range simulation
+ Separate Animation Speed Sliders for Timed & non-Timed actions
+ Adjustable 2-difficulty mode before every battle; Hard mode has more enemies and/or higher levels
+ Up to 50 Rewindable actions, can self-abstain to be a masochist play the classic way
~ No permadeath, same XP & Bonus Points (BP) gained for unconscious units at end of stage; applies to replayable stages as well
+ Customization of characters' stats (HP, Attack, Defence, Speed) using BP in addition to those from level gains

Others
+ Full-voiced
+ Pleasant voice actors for protagonist & female lead
+ Wacky characters may have funny combat animations & sound fx
~ Furries world setting
~ Eicchi CGs
- Dialogue dumps due to forcing waifu(s) upon you its large cast
Prequel [2002] - Let's Play (Eng) by TheEntitledOne: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...furry-ears-and-tails-oh-god-its-heaven.75748/

There's also a final chapter (うたわれるもの 二人の白皇/Utawarerumono: The Two Hakuoros [2016]) if wanting more of the same, coupled with UI enhancements.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
+ Optional Timed (Tap/Charge) combos aka Legend of Dragoon style with more variations and progression

Tap Action
YZG2njE.gif

Charge aka Hold & Release Action
g6sWrYZ.gif

Perfect timing will crit, gaining add. damage/healing & morale.
Off-timing (it's reasonable) allows for combo continuation.

Defend (Tap) Action
hEHA6F4.gif

Defence skills (if available) is % activated & may have limited uses to lessen the damage received.

Option to disabled all timed actions but will still receive enemy crits.
Is this combat that's both turn-based and action-based?

:philosoraptor:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
CryptRat Those Lagrange Point cliffs are giving me a strong sense of a deja vu. I thought Crystalis, but no, not quite the same...

Nostaljaded

Savant
Is this combat that's both turn-based and action-based?

Turn-based SRPG. Units go by their order sequence (determined by their speed stat), NOT by player/enemy turn.

Optional action-based.

Each learned skill starts as a 1-hit combo. As the character levels up, the combos will increase.
Eventually the full combo will be something like the example below
Skill 'abc' - tap------tap--tap----tap
Sklll 'def' - tap----chaaaarge--tap

Simply follow the UI prompts. If bored of the timed actions, just turn it off to play like a traditional SRPG.
Still confused on how the (optional) action-based combat works, go look up Legend of Dragoon (a mandatory, more-primitive-yet-harder action-based system) gameplay videos.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Grounseed. Game follows a trope quite common to 90s Wapanese PC rpgs: high schooler (with or without childhood friend) is teleported to parallel world which he must subsequently save.

The game is quite short and strictly speaking more of a visual novel than a pure rpg. Between reading text there are brief intermissions where you explore a map and fight enemies. There are only fixed encounters in the game and the only way to become more powerful is through combat, so it is necessary to explore thoroughly looking for enemies. Aside from this there are also chests with stat power ups.

I think I missed some encounters early in the game and invested some power ups in characters I did not know were only temporary (the protagonist's girlfriend is kidnapped at one point); this nearly screwed me over at the end fighting one of the final bosses whom I could only beat by a hair.

There is an odd moment near the middle of the game where the protagonist is presented with a choice - either to stay in his room and sleep with his girlfriend who will confess to him or go outside and sleep with a random sloot. I am not certain but it is possible this choice determines the ending of the game.

A nice touch is that one actually needs to pay attention to what is being said, basically the main character learns five "power words" related to the elements, near the end of the game one must input them correctly or get instant game over.

All in all story and gameplay wise the game is average but the soundtrack is fantastic, p. extensive and varied. Indeed the main reason why I checked out this game is that the late Ryu Umemoto* (who worked on classic such as YU-NO and Eve: Burst Error) worked on the music.

This game was very hard to find and I needed to create a .hdi on my own which is a pain in the ass but in the end it was worth it.

*Article on HG for those that are interested: http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2010/11/dragons-journey-ryu-umemoto-in-europe.html

Z3rpml3.jpg

jNbBv4b.jpg

zveGMnw.jpg

2q1lg3O.jpg

PDbsLMM.jpg

0E3Tub5.jpg

Et8QCkv.jpg

YlZ3wzL.jpg

9LWvkdN.jpg

OaWlkIG.jpg

E5Odayf.jpg

XC8kNJd.jpg

OW0WL5v.jpg

dB6Bch1.jpg

CczYYid.jpg

fuepB2w.jpg

oFZA6zQ.jpg

It8mEG6.jpg

qiVxy9Q.jpg

6qeBHin.jpg

J3xT6FT.jpg

tVdb7cn.jpg

TpXYtuf.jpg

kpuE0YK.jpg

ES74q56.jpg

C1Ri20A.jpg

fYqdsRp.jpg

3ogeAL7.jpg

RWMxzg4.jpg

GpzkoTN.jpg

a74lflx.jpg

jCLpZlv.jpg

c3qGrNh.jpg

5lYYQD4.jpg

XPc0bpn.jpg

8nxtbnU.jpg

Leolml7.jpg

e69bpbZ.jpg

nMDSX8F.jpg

Mi1nsxb.jpg

ynXa1ff.jpg

Om5IVWc.jpg

Dc5BxeV.jpg

xQxNWkA.jpg

oC77XeS.jpg

fkyhWcG.jpg

mLc1C0S.jpg

m39TyWD.jpg

U2Gx4kn.jpg

G74bb6Y.jpg

nzddjmJ.jpg

DAnIWPF.jpg

t2vvsQu.jpg

SrlrjFO.jpg

Xs91zcq.jpg

op6wVRE.jpg

CEvPtOk.jpg

B1zSXCE.jpg

gKmET5Y.jpg

J0wuXV1.jpg

HImZOAD.jpg

qneEwoY.jpg

ydVunBp.jpg

c9tY9Of.png

Super Dimensional Heroes 2 - Revenge of the Demon God (1996)
Super Dimensional Heroes 2 - The Northern Emissary (1998)

This is not really a JRPG because it is not made in Japan.
Known as Super Heroes, a turn based SRPG for PC, made by Userjoy from Taiwan.
This is one of the best if not the best SRPG gameplay mechanics and battle system during its time.
SRPGs that I have played are Shining Forces, SRWs, Feda, Fire Emblems, Jeanne D'Arc, D&D tactics, Front Missions, Sangokushi Eiketsuden etc

Gameplay Mechanics and Battle System:

Turn base SRPG similar to Fire Emblem.

The battlefield is grid based "3D" with X, Y coordinate and Z (height). Unit facing direction and height of the panel would affect the accuracy and damage. So attack from the back, side or higher grounds for more damage and accuracy. The terrain type would also affect the damage.

Branching class system where you can choose between 2 different class during class change with 3 to 4 tiers of class changes. Think Seiken Densetsu 3 type of class branching.

Each characters have HP, MP, SP and AP bars. MP for magic and SP for Sword/Ki Techs.

The biggest difference compare with other SRPG is the AP bar.
AP is used up for actions taken like Movem, Attack, Magic/Tech and Rest.
Different type of actions use up different amount of AP.
For example if you move to the maximum and use up all the AP then you could not able to attack.
Or you could choose not move and sometimes a character can use all the AP to attack twice in 1 round.
Or you could choose to not take any action and rest to regain a certain % of HP/MP/SP.
When you select your character, different color grids would indicate the actions you could take.

The gameplay mechanics is simply mind blowing compared to other SRPG titles during the same era.

Other Similar Games:

Super Dimensional Heroes
Lords of Ancient Kingdom
Super Dimensional Heroes 3

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Slayers, a 1994 PC98 dungeon crawler. The game came out one year before the animu.

rN4xkAs.jpg

It is not strictly a rpg since the game lacks leveling up; all characters start out very powerful. The main character Lina Inverse is a glass cannon with 270 HP, 999 MP and about 40 spells.

Her partner Gourry (who is fixed in the party) is a fighter with 800 HP. Aside from these two there’s room in the party for one temporary dungeon related NPC and one follower to be chosen among major manga/animu characters (Naga the Serpent, Philionel, Amelia, etc.)

Basically it is almost impossible to lose any combat encounter - Lina can literally one shot 90% of enemies with the right spell. Then again dungeons are so expansive (and excessively make use of teleporters) that the point of the game is more to be conservative with mana reserves and clear dungeons as efficiently as possible. The only way to restore mana is to rest at an inn (though there are some occasional onsen spots in dungeons to restore HP and MP) after which there is a lot of backtracking to do. So the approach to combat enemies is to capitalize on elemental weaknesses and/or simply freeze/paralyze/scare enemies. Lina has enough toys at her disposal to keep things interesting.

Aside from Lina the three party members are AI controlled and generally do a p. good job, e.g. when someone is low at health or struck with a status effect a party member will automatically apply the correct item if available. Although with magic users it occasionally happens that they cast very mana costly spells to finish off a near death enemy. Generally it doesn’t really matter which follower to use but there are some dungeons with a lot of wind/water resistant enemies meaning for instance Naga the Serpent (who mainly casts lightning/water spells) is less useful, while other dungeons may have a lot of melee resistant enemies.

Naga the Serpent is overall the best follower to use since she has the best lines and interactions with Lina and NPCs. Though for some reason she will arbitrarily leave the party and return to town which can be highly annoying when you’re already backtracking through a dungeon.

Storywise the game is about Lina pursuing a rumour of a dragon whose valuable fangs she covets. In the first dungeon the task is to catch five unique monsters to create a chimera; in the final dungeon this chimera unexpectedly pops up again and kills the dragon Lina is after.

I had expected to fight the dragon in the end but instead it’s a battle with the chimera who was immune to all elemental magic. To beat it Lina simply had to cast her most powerful spell, Dragon Slave, twice and it was p. much dead.

All in all, it is a good game that makes excellent use of the source material. After the two console Berserk games it is the best animu/manga game adaptation I’ve played.

E97Wwjy.png

pPHn7Jq.png

mm5yVJj.png

0Tcs1mh.png

ACJlZKC.png

SnQOyxy.png

vdBC1j7.png

opXgFGb.png

nHUGrZx.png

Wcs1HrP.png

foaefed.png

pfwqGV1.png

ImjzBDQ.png

6I6cEuK.png

zJF7rWk.png

csNWMyn.png

uu2aPve.png

q8gJVzu.png

D3U6hcp.png

VV1wrd4.png

hxiYp9n.png

6b8zDDp.png

39TTW4z.png

SR2SDli.png

UQkSMF4.png

VYby49S.png

ri1tumm.png

lYV6SNV.png

ivZS1k0.png

DURGeAK.png

vjJKKSg.png

bxPS68Q.png

lz1FgDt.png

OcfjqBc.png

A3ok4tA.png

6HdrNsy.png

aAmCpC7.png

SWBsruP.png

eIXdyJJ.png

hCx2ot3.png

nJF0oUP.png

XywKVDc.png

oNVV9GH.png

BwOYSoG.png

OuoTDAR.png

RjmDxCi.png

DYDQjaG.png

G1NbNgT.png

xKGTww8.png

UNsOjTX.png

QV4wiNl.png

E9WMANu.png

noLpkxy.png

dfBI6IN.png

rs7SqlW.png

WRPQx4g.png

hvrZDF4.png

dxg0YPz.png

8vu3j80.png

8DiITBJ.png

Kg4vOm5.png

hSBTWRK.png

uicSiEj.png

SxS75eO.png

QiVBFH8.png

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished a troo classic.

9eCApBH.jpg

This is élf’s very first game and it shows. P. primitive game tbh: no automap, no potions (frequent return to temple necessary), only four kinds of armour/sword/helm/shield, ridiculous Engrish (bload sword, sqotuum, preit armor, bockler, etc.), very low level cap and only two magic spells. Not to mention the game is also p. short (8-10 hours at most to beat).

The game story is p. simple: the protagonist needs to retrieve six orbs from a tower invaded by dragon knights to restore a goddess of a land (Strawberry Fields) inhabited only by women.

The tower dungeon has six quite small levels, but to the game’s credit at least in order to gain access to the level boss (a dragon knight) at least one needs to solve some minor puzzle(s). Though each dungeon level has two waifus to save who give hints on what to do.

Overall not a bad game but the sequels should be much better.

XmVjSoV.png

rxhtFRS.png

UtaVsI7.png

jJ52Bb5.png

k7jG5qR.png

gmy5uqZ.png

7J4xX3I.png

ogK04X4.png

wJwHuAY.png

ln1bva1.png

0WApD0n.png

uktBlRw.png

qj5mIdX.png

uDDmJAy.png

ikPifx0.png

8HAvJpN.png

yzfbu2V.png

Onx6sc5.png

ztsE2F4.png

dZcZqmi.png

jVZhULh.png

rEok9fi.png

84wgtSy.png

T3dUGVT.png

lOid77g.png

TUVi80l.png

8Hftzak.png

PfHnMKR.png

yOXM6In.png

AYKHB81.png

kDpYPj4.png

euUlaLG.png

pKcFEnm.png

P9I7qBB.png

wfsJcbr.png

4mzU5fv.png

SJ4HUk6.png

esi6bhV.png

ZMYFWnw.png

ouYLaC4.png

gvG07gm.png

gMFQLLE.png

q2545Hh.png

NBfReUB.png

hn3CQwY.png

wAHIztG.png

ULKzTuq.png

BvqX8iC.png

xIvdKW1.png

SLuCboh.png

raFm3H2.png

fA18xsA.png

QhINsWP.png

hThemuA.png

KvV3EiN.png

td4SBlZ.png

pl19pi5.png

W27Fju7.png

0bExTA5.png

YxFK0IA.png

yDDBfGY.png

m0S50mP.png

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished X.NA, a 1990 PC88 dungeon crawler.

86gXlmJ.jpg

The game is similar to Dragon Knight in many ways, again there’s a male main character ending up in a city inhabited only by women and having to trudge through six levels of a tower infested with monsters.

This time though the main character has a fixed female party member called Mei who can cast healing spells (again, no potions). She and her older sister basically save the main character in the beginning of the game and take him into their house. When the older sister is kidnapped by monsters the main character and Mei go off to save her (Final boss is basically Elizabeth Bathory). .

It amused me that Mei explicitly states she is 15 years old – of course if the game had been translated for overseas markets she would be 18. At any rate, since Mei grew up in a city without males she is completely clueless about the opposite sex and this is at the center of the majority of (humorous) interactions with the main character.

Overall, though, Mei is quite annoying but gets better near the end of the game. Closest comparison in a western rpg would be… Imoen.

Like in Dragon Knight, there are various waifus to save on each dungeon level, but this time there are waifus who will temporarily join the party and help to fight the dungeon level boss – a significant improvement. Most waifus are significantly strong and a big help in leveling up quickly (grinding not really needed) - some waifus can even cast healing and offensive spells.

Compared to Dragon Knight the dungeon levels are more expansive and complex to navigate (again no automap). Combat wise the game was quite unbalanced from beginning to end, regardless of party level there were always certain random encounters that could instagib Mei.

Easily beaten enemies one encounter suddenly dishing out >600 damage next encounter was quite common (actually I lost about two hours of game time at one point). There was likely some Oblibion like level scaling working behind the scenes.

Though the game storyline was mostly silly, surprisingly there were still some themes thrown in ranging from haafu bullying, fuzoku (prostitution/hostess clubs), idol culture and interracial relationships that were handled surprisingly serious and almost felt out of place.

Overall I found this to be a better game than Dragon Knight.

I9Hq8NL.png

i8o5TYL.png

XxeSDNK.png

kTatmM5.png

AJBXcVM.png

1UMeNZJ.png

w20FAjG.png

yJbFo3n.png

bHAAZkl.png

06vHG8M.png

q0XKYQH.png

Pbn2WO9.png

ksj4og3.png

nFDkQrd.png

OeotTdn.png

C6RaSjx.png

kyFnzSq.png

wfnzLUp.png

oFecI3f.png

cel7LQn.png

BvVvh67.png

7p2QMy6.png

GN9Dd4I.png

7RMhatd.png

AnAEOt8.png

duxHEau.png

7kHWozz.png

XoNx37J.png

ELBb6cO.png

SGZaFcS.png

Y6w2tWt.png

C1btdOH.png

PwQpfOp.png

JXW628p.png

UrIgNgX.png

p4dAmQq.png

8pTtLkM.png

2Pb4ebw.png

a3irHMG.png

QTMPXH5.png

njGsZhS.png

xJF6IAe.png

YQz9poL.png

HGijKdt.png

BxuhEg1.png

hjA33ij.png

dYpCjXV.png

exCUnrp.png

K3LdSeu.png

enwrc87.png

66yBkmR.png

l0QpBg5.png

NZlDsyq.png

Q0hyc1R.png

PvviEuK.png

7K7hjzZ.png

Deleted Member 16721

I second Romancing SaGA for PS2. Fun game with a very unique open-world that is unlike other open-worlds. There are several main characters that you can play through the game with and each has their own story. You can pick up many side characters and other main characters whose story all converge. There are also a bunch of other unique quirks, like dynamic-type events, secrets, branching choices in exploration and some unique character development. Cool game.

Also will throw Vandal Hearts in the mix. Very underrated PS1 SRPG, cool story, good strategy gameplay and great atmosphere. Also, Brigandine. Another very underrated "grand strategy" RPG for PS1. You can select a nation out of several, each with their own leader a unique take on combat, and then build up your army and conquer a "Risk-style" map. Also has a story and multi-player even. Well worth checking out.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Also, Brigandine. Another very underrated "grand strategy" RPG for PS1. You can select a nation out of several, each with their own leader a unique take on combat, and then build up your army and conquer a "Risk-style" map. Also has a story and multi-player even. Well worth checking out.

Just in case someone wants to play Brigandine I'd like to point that Japan-only Grand Edition has been fan translated.

The remake of the game released in 2000 had many significant changes, including:
  • Multiplayer game mode: allowing up to 6 players, each controlling a nation;
  • The Esgares Empire became a fully playable nation, and gained plot cut scenes;
  • Changes on battle mode gameplay:
    • Like on the Fire Emblem series, elements became based on the Rock, Paper, Scissors rule: red is effective against green, green is effective against blue, and blue is effective against red. White and black still oppose each other;
    • If, after 13 turns of battle, the attacking side has a unit over the defending side's castle, the attacking side now wins.
  • Monsters became able to equip items;
  • The player is redirected to a final boss, when the continent is successfully conquered;
  • The original 3D opening was replaced by an anime opening;
  • Many dialog-only cut scenes were replaced by anime cut scenes;
  • 3D battle animations replaced by simpler and faster 2D animations;
  • Major changes on soundtrack;
  • New rune knights, character classes, items and monsters.
  • Voice acting is present with Japanese voice actors, including the voice talents of Sōichirō Hoshi, Mitsuaki Madono and Yuri Shiratori to name a few.

Hyperion

Arcane
They tried to, but every time there was a game over screen from the death of the main character, they blamed the Jews.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom