Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Older players less interested in competitive games, new study states

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I just want my slow paced turn based game so i can take muh time
2mydnbb.gif

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's why we are saying "I'm too old for this shit". I don't have the patience and reflexes to compete with mouse junkies who are running around me and killing me 5 times before I can blink.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Article just uses gaming trends as an excuse to talk about gender. As if anybody gives a shit about women in competitive gaming and their habits.

As for losing interest in competitive gaming as you get older. Well, no shit. But then, one has to consider the fact modern "competitive" games are fucking shit. Even if i was 15 years younger i'd have no interest in playing CS:GO or any modern shooter.

Achilles

Arcane
When you have to deal with shitheads at work you don't want to deal with shitheads in your free time. When you are young you are a shithead yourself so it doesn't bother you.

DeepOcean

Arcane
No kidding, older players figured out that Counter Strike and its shitty console sibbilings and the fucking retarded Dotas are fucking shit? What a surprise.

I don't get modern competitive shooters, for example, you just run around like a headless chicken on a shitty small map on the hopes of getting the drop on the other guys before they get you, it is just a headless chicken running after other headless chicken and counting the amount of times they died or not at the end of match to prove that they are good about being headless chicken. On older FPS where hitscanning weapons weren't all that incredible and weren't one hit kill nonsense that even retards could kill with, where you could jump like you were on the moon and the speed was always on very high to ultra high, there was some degree of skill.

You watch a match of an old multiplayer arcade shooter and the stunts the better players could do were just insane, watching a CoD match is like watching someone living on Groundhog Day but on first person with guns that take half the screen on a shooting fish on the barrel competition. Consoles killed competitive shooters, same way that shitty Dota mod made for people that can't into proper RTS, ruined RTS.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I didn't read the article because I SENSE FEMINISM but..

Younger people want to prove that they can be good at something so they jump to a competitive game and go at it. Older people may realize that they can be good at anything but not everything, so they need to decide if they want to be a pro DoTa master or a top bodybuilder or a pro psychonaut or a pro cashier or whatever.

Also competitive ladders in multiplayer games aren't really fun. The higher rank you get in these games the more you restrict yourself to a particular style of play.

If you're grandmaster level starcraft player then there's just a few viable strategies for playing the game and you need to execute them perfectly every time but if you're playing at bronze to gold level you can get away with pretty much any strategy and mostly just fuck around and have fun.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
There's probably some sort of difference between wanting to excel in, say, competetive multiplayer shooters like Counter Strike and just wanting to get a little higher in some rogue-like ladder.

EDIT: The point being men aren't necessarily chopping off their penis as they age, they could just be focusing on some aspect of "competition" that this study doesn't take into account, or there's a lack of (discovered) channels rather than lack of basic desire.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am 22 and never see the appeal of competitive multiplayer games since childhood.

I tried stuff like battlefield, CS, DoTA, warfeame, planetside, etc, they never stick.

I am the only guy in my circle of friends who constantly play crpg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I am 22 and never see the appeal of competitive multiplayer games since childhood.

I tried stuff like battlefield, CS, DoTA, warfeame, planetside, etc, they never stick.

some of these stupids wants to make a living by 'going pro' and playing these 'esports games' for money as a job

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

"my circle of friends"

:troll:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

some of these stupids wants to make a living by 'going pro' and playing these 'esports games' for money as a job

Yeah that's weird, being good at dota isn't much of an accomplishment. Not sure that playing games all day is really a fulfilling job.

Sometimes I check out twitch streams and the successful ones are basically full time babysitters. People don't realize this until it's too late though.

sullynathan

Arcane
You old people can't hang. Go back to your turn based rpg's.

I don't get modern competitive shooters, for example, you just run around like a headless chicken on a shitty small map on the hopes of getting the drop on the other guys before they get you, it is just a headless chicken running after other headless chicken and counting the amount of times they died or not at the end of match to prove that they are good about being headless chicken. On older FPS where hitscanning weapons weren't all that incredible and weren't one hit kill nonsense that even retards could kill with, where you could jump like you were on the moon and the speed was always on very high to ultra high, there was some degree of skill.
You haven't played six siege

You watch a match of an old multiplayer arcade shooter and the stunts the better players could do were just insane, watching a CoD match is like watching someone living on Groundhog Day but on first person with guns that take half the screen on a shooting fish on the barrel competition. Consoles killed competitive shooters, same way that shitty Dota mod made for people that can't into proper RTS, ruined RTS.
You don't know console shooters either. Before cod became as big as it is, halo was the biggest console shooter and halo maps are anything but small.

Severian Silk

Competitive games are too stressful. I have enough stress as it is.

[edit]

Just being old and thinking about dying soon and everything in general becoming harder as you age is defeating.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom