Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial On the birth of Dungeons and Dragons

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
YJyt5MV.jpg

AD&D 2E for life. It was by no means a simulation-heavy game the likes of, I don't know, Hackmaster but it had just enough fiddling around to give me the right dose of crunch and mechanical freedom. Shame I kinda drifted away from D&D over the years, coming back only for a brief stint with 3.5E to end up wondering why it even exists and 4E where I realized if I wanted to play an MMORPG I would play an MMORPG. 5E really seems like something I should check out if only because everyone and their dog seems to be playing it.

You ready for this? Are you ready for this?

248284.jpg

anybody ever play with the actual armor rules in first edition, like the specific AC differences each type had Vs. piercing, blunt, slicing weapons? I liked those rules, but can't ever really recall people using them.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think the 1E armor class adjustments worked that way. It was actually much more detailed than that. Instead of just having broad blunt/piercing/slashing categories, each specific weapon had it's own set of adjustments. So, while a quarter staff and a footman's mace were both blunt weapons, a quarter staff received massive penalties against hitting someone in plate mail while the footman's mace actually received a small bonus. (It's on pg 38 of the Player's Handbook).

And, yes, I used to use those rules all of the time when I played 1E. But me and my friends almost always played it as a straight dungeon crawl, emphasizing the tactical combat and exploration over any story.
thats the only way I have every really played D&D too, as more a tactical wargame, the story parts were just to create some reasons for doing things and spice it up a little, but it was not a huge part of the game, maybe 30% or so..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom