Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Online petition - Serpent in the Staglands review

Will you sign Diggfinger's SitS review petition?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You want publicity? Make sure you can't play as a woman. Then add it in with a patch, saying "mea culpa."
Tell them 50% of the development team is female

Viata

Arcane
I bought the game, but as with AoD, I have not yet play it. But I keep telling both games to my friends(Sadly most are into jrpg). To be fair, I don't think I would want RPS to review my game if I would make one like SitS, mostly because the reviewer may suck and blame the game(like the nichegamer one). I too believe Youtubers is the best option. TotalBiscuit would be the right guy for this, as he seems to have a lot fo fans, but I wonder if he would make justice for the game. Either way, the more people heard about it, the better. Using Youtubers is good because even if the guy is shit and is blaming the game, people may like what they are watching, while in a traditional review, people would just read words and believe what the reviewer is saying. Most people read Kotaku, believe what they say and don't even go after a trailer. So better to have TotalBiscuit than RPS.

Apexeon

Arcane
I will pay for a gift copy which can be sent to a reviewer.

Anything to help.

Or they can give up and become a mobile phone developer like me. :negative:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Friend refunded this on steam a week ago.
Verdict: not gonna bother.

On a less serious note : :lol: Are you fucking kidding me?
We gonna beg for a review from mainstream outlets? Really now? :lol:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I bought the game, but as with AoD, I have not yet play it. But I keep telling both games to my friends(Sadly most are into jrpg). To be fair, I don't think I would want RPS to review my game if I would make one like SitS, mostly because the reviewer may suck and blame the game(like the nichegamer one). I too believe Youtubers is the best option. TotalBiscuit would be the right guy for this, as he seems to have a lot fo fans, but I wonder if he would make justice for the game. Either way, the more people heard about it, the better. Using Youtubers is good because even if the guy is shit and is blaming the game, people may like what they are watching, while in a traditional review, people would just read words and believe what the reviewer is saying. Most people read Kotaku, believe what they say and don't even go after a trailer. So better to have TotalBiscuit than RPS.
I need to note that TotalBiscuit gets lots of requests for game reviews but he only does some of them as he cannot do them all. There is a big chance he already passed on doing a review of SitS.

But with enough people spamming his twitter and mail maybe he might reconsider.

Leitz

Learned
For some reason I thought the game was still in beta. One look into the main thread shows people discussing what the devs should make with the system. Seems like you're not that pleased after all.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is not just a niche game, but a niche game with serious entry barriers. Most reviewers don't have the patience for this kind of thing, they just want to crank out their article-a-day.

I can usually take it, but when I installed it and saw the range of character options, I decided to put it aside until my vacation, because it seemed to be a mistake to just wade in. I imagine others also have this problem.

The upside is that SitS should have decent staying power, and its sales will probably form a long tail. Its reputation can build gradually, like Knights of the Chalice.

ArchAngel

Arcane
For some reason I thought the game was still in beta. One look into the main thread shows people discussing what the devs should make with the system. Seems like you're not that pleased after all.
No game is perfect and a first big game from 2 young developers certainly is not. But it is still a good game worth playing for anyone that is fan of Fallout, Baldur's Gate 1 or Darklands.

Leitz

Learned
But it is still a good game worth playing for anyone that is fan of Fallout, Baldur's Gate 1 or Darklands.

Then it's no wonder that the mainstream press ignores it. I never played Darklands, but it's actually on my HD right now. Why should I take the nostalgia substitute instead?

ArchAngel

Arcane
But it is still a good game worth playing for anyone that is fan of Fallout, Baldur's Gate 1 or Darklands.

Then it's no wonder that the mainstream press ignores it. I never played Darklands, but it's actually on my HD right now. Why should I take the nostalgia substitute instead?
If you are looking for RTwP tactical party based combat similar to Baldur's Gate and overland roaming and open world quest solving of Fallout 1 and 2. I have not played Darklands so I cannot answer your question, it is just that Darklands is mentioned by other people (and devs) in connection with SitS.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Youtubers only care about views people, why the fuck you hope they will review a niche, obscure, game nobody knows about? Is SitS a random generated rogue like, butthurt generator or a sandbox game? Youtubers will only stream games that bring views and they only review quick to finish indie, hipster shit unless the game is already popular, they are good to attract even more attention to a game that already has some but they won't risk losing views to stream/review a niche, hard and obscure RPG.

Mortmal

Arcane
Just remember: Sunset also got reviews from all the major 'publications' (Kotaku, RPS, etc) and it did absolutely jack-shit for them sales wise.

Yes but first thing I see when reading about sunset on steam page is a wall of negative impressions...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He reviewed our trailer once. It's as close as we got to youtube heaven.

He always gave a first impression on Shadowrun Returns.

TB can be "tricked" into talking about an RPG if he's convinced that it's more of a tactical combat game. He also did Blackguards for that reason. Don't see much chance of that happening here of course.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Dear all,

so what I got so far was basically:
- do not target a specific media, go wider
- Focus on getting let's plays rather than reviews - I'm tweeting away at it!
- no-one will care because game reviews are dictated by devil-workshipping conglomorates - fair point, although mainstream gaming sites such as Gamespot waste spend plenty of time reviewing all kinds of shit artistic indie games, so why not show SitS some luv?

So, with all your comments in mind, here is the petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/reviewserpent-in-the-staglands

Hope that it captures the main points (text can still be changed).

First step will be to get a decent number of signatures and then tweet around to gaming sites/Youtube dudes about it (hey! xx amount of RPG gamers think you should review/let's-play SitS).

Let the signatures roll!:cool:

- Digg

Last edited:
Gamespot can fuck off. All they do is worship popamole linear corridor hold-my-hand shooters. Like an earlier post said, I would definitely try to get Hardcore Gaming 101 (http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/) to review SitS since they try to provide honest and informative reviews and are open to any kind of game. As for Youtubers, I'd say either TotalBiscuit or Kikoskia would be best to try to create a LP's for it, except I'm exactly sure what the former's reaction to it would be like. Past that, this game needs a fair amount of publicity to help fund the future expansions/sequels this game should hopefully be getting.

Maschtervoz

Learned
Just don't throw it at any random dumbass with a youtube account. Since the foxes in the starting area are shaping up to become this year's greatest retard detector, it might do more harm than good to have a LPer die 5 times in the first 5 minutes and overreact in typical youtube subscription bait fashion.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I would put a requirement before asking anyone to try it. #1 Did you play BG1 and liked it? If yes, then tell them to LP or review SitS.
The game is as punishing for new players as BG1 was. It has similar level of convoluted mechanics for people with no previous knowledge and same two shot foxes (wolves in BG1) or one shot wolves (bears in BG1). Also same tactics from Bg1 work here: Send tank in front and kite with others if needed. I had 0 problems with difficulty of this game, I cannot imagine anyone that played BG1 and got to lvl 3 with characters would have any problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom