Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Onlive died today.

Will you try Onlive?

• Yes

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 81.3%
  • KC(I am gay)

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

Melcar

Arcane
I bet some Jew somewhere is getting filthy rich over this.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
OnLive may not fail for two reasons:

1) people with fat pipes slacking off on work computers without decent 3D cards

2) OnLive is already trying to spread into a video/TV streaming service, and that is one area where it will have a technological edge over all of the competition

Regdar

Arcane
So how good does your connection have to be, exactly , to play OnLive? Is there anyone in the world consistently satisfied with their service (no disconnects, fps lag etc.)?

Also, it is my impression that you can't pirate OnLive games (you can pirate their boxed CD counterparts, but the platform itself doesn't allow for downloading game files). If that's true, why isn't this treated as the holy grail by big game companies?

MapMan

Arcane
Regdar said:
So how good does your connection have to be, exactly , to play OnLive? Is there anyone in the world consistently satisfied with their service (no disconnects, fps lag etc.)?

Also, it is my impression that you can't pirate OnLive games (you can pirate their boxed CD counterparts, but the platform itself doesn't allow for downloading game files). If that's true, why isn't this treated as the holy grail by big game companies?

Yes, the folks over at CERN with FTL connection.

MetalCraze

Arcane
But it's treated like holy grail

It exists solely because companies like EA and Ubisoft keep pouring millions into it. They are the ones that basically started it.

While there are many retards who will pay ~$200 a year (excluding game rent prices - you are unable to buy the game at OnLive - of course) to run the game with worse image quality and much much lower graphics quality than that of XBox360 (which they can get for the same price which includes no controller lag, better graphics, better resolutions, no compression artifacts) I doubt they keep this piece of shit afloat.

Xi

Arcane
Eh, everything I said was basically true. And, guess what, the service is still functional, and growing. Personally, I don't use it (connection not quite good enough - and throttling issues) but I bet they use this in the future quite a bit more. I just laugh at all the people who said it was impossible. That was funny.

:smug:

Deleted member 7219

I was tempted to pick the 'I am gay' option but I decided on 'No'.

I don't want to stream games from somewhere else, I want to have them on my computer, and I want the quality to be perfect. Also when I buy something I expect to be able to have complete access to it, not rent it off someone else.

Also my internet connection isn't fiber-optic, it is plain old broadband and so it probably wouldn't even be that good anyway.

ortucis

Prophet
This could be a good thing for PC gamers, developers putting full game up but letting us play for an hour or two as a demo (since there are hardly any demo releases for PC, which actually needs them).

But I won't touch this service.

Atomic

Augur
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Well well well, what do we have here?

Found on Fargo's twitter
"Just received an email that OnLive is closed as of today!"

:incline:

Edit:
Fargo: "Apparently a new company will be formed but everyone is losing their job. Don't know what that means."

How long before this 'new' company folds and a new emerge?

Palikka

Arcane
Fargo said:
Here is the email that I received from the OnLive employee at 11:37am this morning.

I wanted to send a note that by the end of the day today, OnLive as an entity will no longer exist. Unfortunately, my job and everyone else's was included. A new company will be formed and the management of the company will be in contact with you about the current initiatives in place, including the titles that will remain on the service.

It has been an absolute pleasure working with you and I’m sure our path with cross again.
Then:
Brian Fargo @BrianFargo

OnLive is denying their closure. Very curious as to why that employee sent that email out then.
Weird shit..

Micmu

Magister
Didn't see this one coming, no sir. :roll:
Even I would make a better decision. Next time they should ask me for business advice.

A new company will be formed
Lemme guess... It will be called OffDead ?

Renegen

Arcane
Unfortunately it may just be a shuffling of corporate entities and not the death of cloud gaming, but it's good news indeed.

MetalCraze

Arcane
2 years ago. Nevar forget.

Xi said:
Pay less for the games. Check.

Pay a low $10 a month (cancel and renew at any time). Check.

Never upgrade your current PC every again.(Or never buy expensive hardware ever again). Check.

Demo games before you buy them. Check.

Or:

Keep purchasing expensive hardware and playing games like you always have. No big deal.

Guess gamers made their choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom