Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Only able to browse the site with ADblock enabled.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
As the title says, I've been unable to properly browse the codex since yesterday. I tried with multiple browsers, through a proxy and from a friend's PC but it's always the same.
Basically this is what I get:

L0yndI7.png

The codex and only the codex was also constantly redirecting me to
do not click, Malaware alert http://dl.browsersafeupdate.com/
so while googling for solutions I stumbled upon this reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/3qth1h/help_is_this_a_real_update_link/ it appears there's something in the ADs giving problems, at least to me...

To verify if that's the case I re enabled ADblock for this site domain (believe it or not, I had it disabled for the codex, yes I love you bastards :tearofaneagle: ) and now everything is fine:

KS36Oen.png

With ADblock paused, I get redirected from other domains too, so that's why from my POV only the codex was acting wonky.
Is it just me? Are other users having the same issues? Will DU watchwiz me because I created a new thread in site feedback?

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah, noticed the issue yesterday, but didn't try with adblock.

profreshinal

Arcane
I get this sometimes. I think the problem lies in a ad-server that is down or otherwise unavailable and the codex refusing to load/display the rest of the site while it waits for a response from the ad-server. blocking the server or waiting untill the request times out "solves" it.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron

Yes... I have the codex as my only exception in AD block. ADs are usually unintrusive here* and believe it or not, they do have value as site revenue. But my friend? Yes he probably browses without ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I didn't notice yesterday

*Edit: if your internet isn't potato

Aenra

Someone browses any sites with adblock disabled?

I do too, lol.. i still use IE(11) exclusively. Best font to date, plus, best colour customisation to date. Even after the million FF/Chr addons, i still prefer IE's custom colour scheme freedom.
Adblock for IE is shit, so am not using it. The only reason i do not suffer the OP's issues..well it's called editing one's hosts file + no script. He should have RTFM :smug:

Aenra

Me? An expert? Hardly, lol..i just, you guessed it, RTFM. Is it because i'm a geek, OCD-ridden, Aspie or you name it? Again no, mere common sense. Do ads fuck me? Yes. So i google and start learning.
If that translates as "no life lolol" to you, your prerogative :)

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
It's quite time consuming when you have work to do, games to game and people to meet. I, for example, noticed this problem yesterday and found time only today to properly research it (2 minutes).
You just described how a popular browser is shit because "Lol fonts and colours" and that since a popular extension is shit for the shitty browser you use you RTFM and fixed the problem for you. Good for you, congratulations!
I have better things to do (things I'm actually interested in), so I just roll with chrome+adblock. Once in a blue moon, when I'm having a problem like this, I just ask to those with the know how.

mondblut

Arcane
ADs are usually unintrusive here*

There is no such thing as "unintrusive ads".

and believe it or not, they do have value as site revenue.

Whatever they are peddling, I am not interested, thus no sales are lost. The only thing advertisers are missing from me not seeing their crap is me daily wishing leukemia upon their loved ones.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
There is no such thing as "non-potato internet".

ftfy

Whatever they are peddling, I am not interested, thus no sales are lost. The only thing advertisers are missing from me not seeing their crap is me daily wishing leukemia upon their loved ones.

Advertisers? I'm talking about the codex... We, as community, receive revenue from said Ads. I also click on them from time to time just because, never actually looked at them.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I have the same problem, a proxy fixed it, but that's because the proxy blocks ads and scripts from the Codex.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Potato is life, potato is love. Buy more potato!

rpg codex > doesn't scale to your lack of potato.

p.s. I don't have any problem even without adblock, ghostery, whathaveyou and potato. Ads are still fucking ads though.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
As the title says, I've been unable to properly browse the codex since yesterday. I tried with multiple browsers, through a proxy and from a friend's PC but it's always the same.
Basically this is what I get:

L0yndI7.png

The codex and only the codex was also constantly redirecting me to
do not click, Malaware alert http://dl.browsersafeupdate.com/
so while googling for solutions I stumbled upon this reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/3qth1h/help_is_this_a_real_update_link/ it appears there's something in the ADs giving problems, at least to me...

To verify if that's the case I re enabled ADblock for this site domain (believe it or not, I had it disabled for the codex, yes I love you bastards :tearofaneagle: ) and now everything is fine:

KS36Oen.png

With ADblock paused, I get redirected from other domains too, so that's why from my POV only the codex was acting wonky.
Is it just me? Are other users having the same issues? Will DU watchwiz me because I created a new thread in site feedback?

I put the ad domain in the screenshots on the block list, but it may take up to an hour to be removed from rotation. If you're still seeing this an hour from now, please post here with more screens.

Oh and thanks for not blocking the ads, it helps us pay the bills (alien concept to a lot of our users, I know).

Last edited:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I can confirm having (had?) the same issue, it was a harsh reminder how much I need the Codex to be working.

One lingering point is, that the main "forum" page tries to redirect me to http://dl.browsersafeupdate.com/ which is being stopped by the anti-virus. Might me an issue on my client. Then again, I thought the issues described in this topic were limited to me.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I can confirm having (had?) the same issue, it was a harsh reminder how much I need the Codex to be working.

One lingering point is, that the main "forum" page tries to redirect me to http://dl.browsersafeupdate.com/ which is being stopped by the anti-virus. Might me an issue on my client. Then again, I thought the issues described in this topic were limited to me.

Anyone else seeing this? Can you make a screenshot of the page with the ad spots in focus?

Aenra

things I'm actually interested in

For someone not interested in improving their Dex browsing(tm) experience, you sure did seem butthurt when it became unavailable. Oh but wait. That's not what you meant either, is it. No, what you meant was, am too fucking stupid to act-on-my-behalf-FOR-my-behalf. Instead, i act like a sheep (we got plenty, no reason for you to feel bad about it), swallow whatever is "hip" or "trendy" and amagad! If it breaks?

"i'm not interested, qqqqqqqq, i have a life, qqqqq"
"halp me please? Am too good for this shit, lolol"

That about sum it up?
It's like your car, your dick, your favourite hobby. Either you read, act and improve on it, or you take what they leave aside for you. And say thank you, am too fucking "good" for this to deserve different. Am too fucking "good" for this to actually bother and see if there's better. Your choice. Just don't come back acting all high and mighty when someone tells you it's fixed by simply googleing for fuck's sake. Even a moron could have solved your problem :)

Edit: As for your "support the Codex" bullshit, i call that too. You want to support, all you need do is pay up ^^

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
hERP! Derp!
Butthurt? Halp me? Strawman much, since I solved my problems with 2 mins of googling by myself. The only butthurt I see here is yours, at least that's the only reason for you to keep posting in this particular thread where, incidentally, other people reported my same problems. As for paying, there's an anonymous donation option, for those that aren't attention whores.
Fag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom