Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Open Call for Reviews

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BROS AND SIS, some of you are already aware of my ambitious project of making a book for cRPG players. If not, please check out this thread.

Today I share with you the current list of games to be reviewed, and open a call for reviews!

Please only submit a review if you really like the game. No "banal shit boring but I like the soundtrack" reviews. That doesn’t mean you have to be a blind fanboy, but I want passionate reviews. They can be somewhat personal, talking about how you stayed up for a whole night trying to map that dungeon in Wizardry 4, but it’s very important that a reader that knows nothing about the game is able to understand what the game really is, its strong points and occasional flaws. Don’t say that “it has great combat”; explain why it’s great. ;)

BEFORE starting to write, please post on the thread about what will you do, PM me or send an e-mail to crpgbook at gmail.com. Someone might have already taken the game, or I might have extra details to discuss.

I deeply respect the time and energy you will put into your review, and will try to talk to everyone so that no efforts are wasted. It may happen that your review doesn’t make into the book for one reason or another, but I’ll do my best to keep that at a minimum.

The format:

There are two kinds of reviews, the ones with one page and the ones with two. These are displayed on the list. If you think that the game you're writing about needs 2 pages instead of 1, contact me and we'll discuss it. But please note that not every game needs two pages, ok? ;)

One Page reviews have up to 2000 characters, one header image and 2 screenshots + descriptions. And they have room for one short side blurb or info-box. Here's an example of a 1 page review:

AKINvJj.png

Two page reviews have up to 4200 characters, one header image and 3-4 screenshots + descriptions. They feature a developer's quote and they have room for two or three short side info blurbs or info-boxes. Here's an example:

LfZfHEw.png

You can, but don't need to provide the screenshots (in .png if you do, please), just be sure to say what you think is important to show and write the descriptions for the images. They are a good place to point out things that won't fit the main text. The developer's quote will be handled by me.

I will use the "1001 Albums to hear before you die" system of credits, signing the reviews with two letters from the author's name, and then listing all collaborators together in alphabetical order, with a 150 characters mini-bio (if you want).

So, without further ado, here's the list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t-49SyrsdP0M5re68sDH9cB2MrPqVKwQQiFF_54VibI/pubhtml

I'll keep it updated if someone claims a game, or I add anything.

Thanks for reading and hope to see you on the book. Or at least reading it. ;)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"Mention Wizardry 2 & 3" should belong to the Wiz 1, not Wiz 4 review.

Also who's writing the Wiz 1 review?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I don't know what you have planned for them, but I could do any of Dark Sun, the Realms of Arkania games, Stonekeep, King of Dragon Pass and Knights of the Chalice. Also, I saw Wizards and Warriors was taken - if you're using the blurb I wrote for the list, would you mind if I revised it?

Edit: I might be able to do Unlimited Adventures too. I've never played any modules, but I spent a lot of time with it as a kid; the first games I ever made were in it. IDK if you want to write about it as a development engine.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't know what you have planned for them, but I could do any of Dark Sun, the Realms of Arkania games, Stonekeep, King of Dragon Pass and Knights of the Chalice.
I appreciate greatly, so I hope I don't sound like a jerk saying this. I'm trying to spread them, at least now at the start, so no one comes in and claim "the best ones" all at once... so what would be your absolute favorite of those? Say it, and it's yours. :)

(Except Arkania 2)

Also, I saw Wizards and Warriors was taken - if you're using the blurb I wrote for the list, would you mind if I revised it?
Yeah, I forgot to ask you about it. :oops:

Please do.

Monty

Arcane
No 'Gateway to the Savage Frontier' goldbox game on the list? I realise you don't want to have reviews for every gold box but I thought this was reasonably notable - went to #1 in sales apparently, was the first to be done by Stormfront studios who then made Neverwinter Nights on AOL.

Not complaining, just curious.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
No 'Gateway to the Savage Frontier' goldbox game on the list? I realise you don't want to have reviews for every gold box but I thought this was reasonably notable - went to #1 in sales apparently, was the first to be done by Stormfront studios who then made Neverwinter Nights on AOL.
Great that you pointed it. Once I collect these I'll see how the book stands and make another pass for stuff I've missed or thought couldn't fit. Stuff like MMOs, weird strategy hybrids and the likes are also on hold.

Monty

Arcane
Great that you pointed it. Once I collect these I'll see how the book stands and make another pass for stuff I've missed or thought couldn't fit. Stuff like MMOs, weird strategy hybrids and the likes are also on hold.
Ok, fair enough. Realise you're under space constraints.

Just noticed your POR review must mention Azure Bonds, POD. So thought that given Gateway to the Savage Frontier (and Treasures of the Savage Frontier) are a different story arc set in a different region, made by a different company (who went on to make a pioneer MMO) they might be worth a review too.

Am starting Gateway now so if you decide at a later date that you want a review I could give it a shot.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I'm intrigued you have Dawn of War 2 on here but I can write for that if no one else will. I'm going to be gone from my computer for a few days though.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I would like to write a review just to be involved with this tremendous project. However, I don't think much of my ability to write said reviews and I don't want to put forth a mediocre effort. Even worse most of the games I would like to write a review for (Fallout, Deus Ex, Arcanum, VtmB) are probably the ones where you already have the most interest in reviewing.

Actually, I might have an interesting take on Human Revolution (although, I don't really consider it an RPG).

Could you provide a list of games that you already have reviewers for?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I would like to write a review just to be involved with this tremendous project.
As of now, being involved means that you'll be published in the same book as MCA.
:kfc:

Could you provide a list of games that you already have reviewers for?
It's on the OP bro, the ones with an X and green color are already being done.

See if there's one that you REALLY like. Otherwise, don't worry. You're all bros to me. :hug:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's on the OP bro, the ones with an X and green color are already being done.

See if there's one that you REALLY like. Otherwise, don't worry. You're all bros to me. :hug:
Oh, duh.

Quest compass isn't big enough clearly :)

tuluse

Arcane
I see all 3 Deus Ex-likes are available. I'd tentatively like to take Human Revolution.

All of a sudden this seems much more intimidating.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What if I want to be involved with this project, but my english is not perfect. It is allright, but I tend to make some mistakes. Would someone proofread my review?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Would someone proofread my review?
Considering the amount of potatos and huehues, I sure hope so. :lol:

But seriously, yes. I'll find people to help on that, maybe crowdfund something... and grotsnik is a professional proof-reader and kindly volunteered to help. Don't let that stop you. :)

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I don't know what you have planned for them, but I could do any of Dark Sun, the Realms of Arkania games, Stonekeep, King of Dragon Pass and Knights of the Chalice.
I appreciate greatly, so I hope I don't sound like a jerk saying this. I'm trying to spread them, at least now at the start, so no one comes in and claim "the best ones" all at once... so what would be your absolute favorite of those? Say it, and it's yours. :)
I picked those because I could write something interesting and meaningful about each of them, but I don't have a preferred one or anything. Let me know if you can't get anyone else to write about them and I'll do one.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
cboyardee , I thought you just wanted to talk about them because you liked them. If you think you can write something that besides describing the game can add something meaningful for the readers, then be my guest and do them. :)

I trust your writing, so I can give you two pages each, if you think it will add to the book.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd like to give Alpha Protocol a spin, if it is available.

Is there any kind of deadline?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I could do either of the Witcher games, or both. As one page or two page reviews, whatever suits your needs best.

Although I'm not a pro, I'll volunteer for proofreading. As for reviews, Arcanum is the one the stands out for me but I'm not sure I could do it justice. :|

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I could do either of the Witcher games, or both. As one page or two page reviews, whatever suits your needs best.
I think both deserve 2 page reviews each.

I'll take Borderlands for now if no one objects.
Feel free bro. I won't list Hellgate: London, so it might be interesting at least to mention how BL managed to do what H:L failed.

I'd like to give Alpha Protocol a spin, if it is available.
Is there any kind of deadline?
Less then a month, if possible...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom