Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Open world space game by Valve, "Stars of Barathrum"

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yes, but will there be hats? Not sure how I feel about this... could be good... could be just a shitty microtransaction fest. One thing is certain the community will be utterly fucking horrendous as it is in all of Valve's games.

potatojohn

Arcane
I think Windows 8 has Valve shitting their pants. They've been making obscene cash with nothing but Steam and now they're looking at quite possibly becoming obsolete. Hence the flurry of activity - greenlight, steam on linux, apps on steam, exciting new IP, etc.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
MHC hats confirmed, prepare your wallet.

uwskz.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lol? If you had to pick a victor between a Microsoft versus Valve war I guarantee you the smart money is on Valve. At least as far as the PC market is concerned. You can expect a fair number of people will switch to Linux rather than upgrade to Windows 8. You can probably count on one hand the amount of positive comments (from non-console gamers) you'd get on Games for Windows Live.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think Windows 8 has Valve shitting their pants. They've been making obscene cash with nothing but Steam and now they're looking at quite possibly becoming obsolete. Hence the flurry of activity - greenlight, steam on linux, apps on steam, exciting new IP, etc.

You mean they have to earn their money honestly now? Ho, the humanity.

Still, to give what is after all a moribund genre a triple A treatment is pretty bro of Vale.

Multi-headed Cow

shitty microtransaction fest
I doubt that given how they've handled microtransactions in everything else. Then again tickets for Mann VS Machine might've been a step to the dark side.

:what:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Steam works on Windows 8, right? Are you saying they're shitting their pants because Microsoft will be selling games as apps in the retard-view? I don't think that would make a damn bit of difference. The flurry of activity is just piles of shit Valve has been percolating for years finally coming to fruition. Here, lemme provide some informative links.

Greenlight probably sprang from this nugget from the god-Gaben back in 2009 before the Kickstarter shitstravaganza kicked off by Double Fine.
Having a hell of a time finding the original source, so take this fuckawful Kotaku link instead.
http://kotaku.com/5318368/valve-let-fans-fund-games-development
Gabe Newell said:
One of the areas that I am super interested in right now is how we can do financing from the community. So right now, what typically happens is you have this budget - it needs to be huge, it has to be $10m - $30m, and it has to be all available at the beginning of the project. There's a huge amount of risk associated with those dollars and decisions have to be incredibly conservative.
What I think would be much better would be if the community could finance the games. In other words, ‘Hey, I really like this idea you have. I'll be an early investor in that and, as a result, at a later point I may make a return on that product, but I'll also get a copy of that game.'
So move financing from something that occurs between a publisher and a developer… Instead have it be something where funding is coming out of community for games and game concepts they really like.​

And concept art for Stars of Barathrum has been floating around since 2011, there just hasn't been any leak on actual game info until now. Hilariously these old pictures are presumably from that game journalist who got drunk in the other thread.
http://www.gamesradar.com/a-closer-look-at-valves-secret-project/
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/297089/mysterious-valve-concept-art-appears-new-ip-inbound/

You can probably count on one hand the amount of positive comments (from non-console gamers) you'd get on Games for Windows Live.
And then the console gamers will only approve because they can get more gamerscore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's funny -- a friend of mine pointed out that gamerscore now means something! You can redeem it for a whopping 1% discount on XBLA titles!!!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
High budget starships whacking in space? Sing me up.

Some of those screens looks like cross between 1889 Space and WH40K but I agree it can be another MMO shit.

Bro, it said in the article it is likely a MMO as Valve has been "interested" in "going in that direction". :roll:

But too bad, as Valve has the resources to make something really glorious that we didn't have for a loooong time.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some of those screens looks like cross between 1889 Space and WH40K but I agree it can be another MMO shit.

Bro, it said in the article it is likely a MMO as Valve has been "interested" in "going in that direction". :roll:

But too bad, as Valve has the resources to make something really glorious that we didn't have for a loooong time.

Another of my dreams crashed. :(

Another of my dream crashed. :(

Bro be thankful for Kickstarter. At least now we have something to look forward to. Compare that to a year ago, or more. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom