Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OpenMW: Porting Morrowind to an open source engine

Regvard

Arcane
Tried to install S.T.E.P mods today. Gave up halfway through. I don't have time for this crap anymore.

Liquorice

Educated
Anyone here try the multiplayer(TES3MP)? Is it as fun as it sounds?

Version 0.6.2 allows players to play NPC sounds and animations on themselves. Essentially, your character can now say almost anything that an NPC of your race and gender can say, using the new /speech command, and you can also play any of the NPC idle animations using /anim.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
Guise are there any good mods for Morrowind ?

Tamriel rebuilt, morrowind rebirth etc? Or they just add meaningless stuff?

Santander02

Arcane
The first 100 hours or so you spend playing Morrowind are all about figuring out which mods to use.

Good heaven no!, this isn't oblivians or skyrmjob, the game is perfectly fine out of the box, just play the damn thing and if you find something about it that bothers you, THEN you search for a mod.

The only mod I'd recommend getting for a first play trough is the one that delays Tribunal's DB assassins until you finish the main quest and the unofficial patches. Maybe Morrowind Graphic Extender and some HD texutres too if you really must please your inner graphix whore

If you don't like MW without mods, chances are you won't like it with them either, and you are just wasting your time.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
After the new year, development has been quiet and there hasn’t been much of interest going on in OpenMW… or so I thought until I checked out the latest feature on the bugtracker. We now have a settings menu in our launcher that allows easy access to various optional features that were previously hidden in some text file that most people didn’t even know existed. Thanks to Thunderforge, enabling these options will soon be a simple matter of checking a box. It’s not quite clear if this feature is to stay in its current form, however, as we may revise it to be part of ingame options after getting OpenMW to its post 1.0 version state.

35781519-c3c6c3ae-09b0-11e8-9ece-636d185ebf59.png

In other news, AnyOldName3’s work on bringing shadows back to the OpenMW engine is still ongoing

deuxhero

Arcane
I didn't miss the shadows in OpenMW because the base game shadows in Morrowind were so horribly made (If you're on a bridge, the shadows would appear on the side of the bridge) I always turned them off. Nice to see working shadows being added.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there any point to doing OpenMW anymore? I mean a laptop made within the last 5 years can run the game flawlessly at its highest settings and mods and fixes have pretty much covered all the “improvements”
I think the big draw for this was a smoother better running Morrowind but somehow it seems that it is rather pointless now

Allyriadil

Educated
Is there any point to doing OpenMW anymore? I mean a laptop made within the last 5 years can run the game flawlessly at its highest settings and mods and fixes have pretty much covered all the “improvements”
I think the big draw for this was a smoother better running Morrowind but somehow it seems that it is rather pointless now

Engine bug fixes, better mod support, massive performance improvement?
The original Morrowind ran like shit on my powerful PC, openMW is smooth as butter.

Also boni points for being open source.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

The original Morrowind ran like shit on my powerful PC, openMW is smooth as butter.

Yes I understand that but as far as that is concerned is there like a horde of people clamoring for this sort of thing anyway? Mods for Morrowind are there even releases of that anymore? I dont mean to be dissmisive but a few years ago I thought it was a very good idea but 15 years later seems like an awful long time...

Allyriadil

Educated

Yes I understand that but as far as that is concerned is there like a horde of people clamoring for this sort of thing anyway? Mods for Morrowind are there even releases of that anymore? I dont mean to be dissmisive but a few years ago I thought it was a very good idea but 15 years later seems like an awful long time...

People still make games for the id Tech 2 engine, and for Morrowind there is still an active modding community albeit small.
In the end it's about preservation too, ensuring that the game will run well in the future. I won't see Bethesda doing that.

Thal

Augur

If I recall correctly, A complete OpenMW would among other thins allow modders to replace Morrowind's combat with something like what Mount and Blade has. It's a pipedream that's probably never going to happen. But if you could do that and then populate Morrowind with challenging opponents, it would probably be one of the best crpgs of all time.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
But if you could do that and then populate Morrowind with challenging opponents, it would probably be one of the best crpgs of all time.

Morrowind with a working "Radiant AI" (or similar) would have been one of the best crpgs of all time.

Feyd Rautha has obviously not played Morrowind.

Last edited:

Barbalos

Savant
I am currently playing through Morrowind GOTY (from GOG) with OpenMW 0.43 (latest version). The only extra mod I downloaded was the Propylon Index one, which is an official mod. The main advantage I have noticed is that it is extremely stable, I have about 25 hours in so far, doing quests for many factions as well as being a bit into the main quest (going to Urshilaku camp) and it has never crashed. It's really fantastic since I had a lot of problems with crashing years ago when I first played Morrowind. And I'll leave it alt-tabbed for hours and come back, run other programs then come back, never had an issue. I have also not noticed any bugs, and have not had a broken quest yet.

Gord

Arcane
Seems OpenMW 0.44 will be released in the next days/weeks:

Always interesting to learn that some basic gameplay elements from vanilla are still being implemented only after all that years. This time: armor degradation.

Apparently there was also some forum drama surrounding the Github/Gitlab move (although there's no mention in the video). One of the devs was butthurt about how Microsoft has acquired Github and decided to use that as a reason to quit development of OpenMW and/or start a linux-only fork of OpenMW, which he apparently had hoped would happen anyway for OpenMW.
Admittedly, OpenMW does run better on Linux for me, so I would not actually mind that much, but it surely would not help visibility of the project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom