Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OpenMW: Porting Morrowind to an open source engine

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this the same forum where people shat on Beamdog for offering people a Baldur's Gate that didn't need mods of any kind, which required far more work and thought to install than just a handful of really basic mods?
Yes, let's praise beamdog for fucking up the UI, adding more bugs, basically fixing what wasn't broken and making people pay for their version and getting the originals out of circulation.

laclongquan

Arcane
Is this the same forum where people shat on Beamdog for offering people a Baldur's Gate that didn't need mods of any kind, which required far more work and thought to install than just a handful of really basic mods?
Yes, let's praise beamdog for fucking up the UI, adding more bugs, basically fixing what wasn't broken and making people pay for their version and getting the originals out of circulation.
Or their terrible writings, or their extraneous characters~ AAA studios had been shat on for less, dawg~

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

The last point is the only one that holds any ground. Otherwise, if you don't like the EEs, don't buy them. There are people who very much like them. My point is that OpenMW is garbage and vanilla Morrowind + handful of mods is better. There's no doubt about that, and anyone who claims otherwise is delusional.

U-8D8

Savant
The last point is the only one that holds any ground. Otherwise, if you don't like the EEs, don't buy them. There are people who very much like them.
That's illogical. The argument "Don't like 'em, don't buy 'em," would make sense only if the originals were still up for sale. Aside from piracy, the only two decisions the general populace can make if they want to get it digitally are to either fork over twenty bucks for a twenty year old game with some largely superficial fixes or simply don't play Baldur's Gate at all. This "my way or the highway" approach to remakes betrays how little confidence they have in their work.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The last point is the only one that holds any ground. Otherwise, if you don't like the EEs, don't buy them. There are people who very much like them.
That's illogical.

It isn't. Hence why I said "otherwise", i.e. "if it wasn't because you can't buy the originals anymore, there would be nothing wrong with the EEs". Because they would be optional and only for those who actually like them.

My point is that OpenMW is garbage.
:retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded:

Si jugás OpenMW sos un boludo hermano, lisa y llanamente. No hay argumento alguno para jugarlo a menos que seas de esos que no usan Windows. OpenMW tiene poquísimos mods y bastante chotos si vamos al caso, así que a menos que tengas una PC de 1998 realmente no hay motivo para usar OpenMW. De hecho lo mejor que tiene, la performance, es al pedo cuando no podés usar shaders, que es básicamente lo que caga Morrowind. Y si usás mods de árboles y esas mierdas, tenés shit taste.

I keep hearing about these stupid glitches OpenMW keeps fixing and I lmao at the idea anyone would say that crap is the way to go. Not to mention the only people arguing for OpenMW are those who don't even make mods, as opposed to the cool kids developing lua mods and so on who unanimously agree: OpenMW is crap.

openmw 1.0 is "vanilla morrowind"
aka.....not....really anything exciting tbh
but supposedly when thats done they can add cool stuff maybe

lol
originally i only played openmw because i couldnt find how to use 1440x900 resolution with morrowind
then i found out about mge xe
and now i dont know why id use openmw

Linux, really

Just to be clear, because some Codexers are really stupid: I'm not saying it will forever be shit. But there's next to no reason to use it as is. Reminds me of the idiots who claim New Vegas won't stop crashing because they don't know about the handful of patches to stop crashes and how to properly mod their games. Same with Morrowind, it never crashes on me.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Do lua mods not work with OpenMW or something?

They don't.

I don't know the specifics, but I do know modders constantly complain in Discord about users bitching about making those mods compatible with OpenMW. The thing is, if I'm not mistaken, the OpenMW team is VERY set on finishing OpenMW as "vanilla" Morrowind before they will even bother with mod support. Or something along those lines.

That's a lot of "IIRC", "I understand that", etc., but that's how it goes. Which is why I seriously don't understand why people suck OpenMW's cock as if it was THE way to play Morrowind in 2019, because it isn't. By any stretch of the imagination. I'm inclined to believe these users don't play Morrowind at all or are paid shills, or bots.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'll say this much, original Morrowind ran like dogshit on modern systems. With Open MW I can go 140 FPS and the loading times are instant. That already is a huge improvement that I don't think I could live without now.

I can switch tabs easily enough and no crashes as of yet. Morrowind used to crash like crazy on exit, which was grating.
That sounds pretty dope, actually.

Drax

Arcane
Si jugás OpenMW sos un boludo hermano, lisa y llanamente. No hay argumento alguno para jugarlo a menos que seas de esos que no usan Windows. OpenMW tiene poquísimos mods y bastante chotos si vamos al caso, así que a menos que tengas una PC de 1998 realmente no hay motivo para usar OpenMW. De hecho lo mejor que tiene, la performance, es al pedo cuando no podés usar shaders, que es básicamente lo que caga Morrowind. Y si usás mods de árboles y esas mierdas, tenés shit taste.

Dentro de 20 años voy a estar jugando openmw en un holodeck, y reiré ultimo. JA!

Barbalos

Savant
I have a playthrough of Morrowind going on OpenMW and it's great. I don't use any non-Bethesda mods with it, though I did replace some textures. Vanilla Morrowind crashed on me dozens of times. I don't recall a single crash with OpenMW (maybe one after I was alt-tabbed out and forgot about it for a few hours), and I'm quite far into the game, ready to go to Red Mountain and currently doing Tribunal. The stability is the real benefit for me.

Yosharian

Arcane
I have a playthrough of Morrowind going on OpenMW and it's great. I don't use any non-Bethesda mods with it, though I did replace some textures. Vanilla Morrowind crashed on me dozens of times. I don't recall a single crash with OpenMW (maybe one after I was alt-tabbed out and forgot about it for a few hours), and I'm quite far into the game, ready to go to Red Mountain and currently doing Tribunal. The stability is the real benefit for me.
Is the game actually complete? Some other post stated that they're not working on mods because they're focused on finishing vanilla first

Codex Year of the Donut
Reminds me of the idiots who claim New Vegas won't stop crashing because they don't know about the handful of patches to stop crashes and how to properly mod their games. Same with Morrowind, it never crashes on me.
You should disable the NVAC allocator when using it, fyi.
it doesn't hook the allocator until after main has been entered, but the game allocates memory during the MSVCRT initialization(which runs prior to main,) then later attempts to free said memory. NVAC will incorrectly assume its allocator allocated that memory when freeing it even though it was allocated prior to hooking.
I notified the author but it was never fixed to the best of my knowledge.

Barbalos

Savant
Is the game actually complete? Some other post stated that they're not working on mods because they're focused on finishing vanilla first

Yes it's complete as far as I'm aware. I haven't had any quests not completetable myself (and I've done tons of optional quests). There are or were some technical things missing, like shadows. Though it seems the latest update has re-added shadows. Most likely there are some other technical aspects not fully implemented yet, but I'm pretty sure the content of the game is complete.

Edit: and yes many mods for OG Morrowind do not work due to the nature of OpenMW. Some mods do work, and others have been designed for only OpenMW.

Gord

Arcane
It's complete in the sense that you can finish it, yes. And that's been the case for some time.
On the other hand almost every new version actually had them "fix" some issue that deviated from expected vanilla behaviour.
Not only minor, exploitative or autist things, but in some cases quite fundamental stuff, like e.g. follower AI or stuff related to summons.

And if you absolutely insist in using extensive graphical mods, OpenMW isn't the way to go either (althoug it does support some things natively that are only possible in vanilla by using some hacks).
Otherwise it's quite stable and the Linux version in particular runs great.

Last edited:

Drax

Arcane
Do tell why should anyone ever play Morrowind the OpenMW way unless they 1) have a carcass of a machine, or 2) want multiplayer
People can do whatever the fuck they want to.
How come we have to repeat over and over that having an open source engine implementation of a beloved game is a good thing for people that love that game.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Drax you didn't answer my question and "people can do whatever they want to" is a banal reply merely stating the obvious.

Please tell me what good is OpenMW (besides multiplayer no one plays, ironically enough) knowing one must make a choice between it, and, on the other hand, MCP, MGE XE, Lua mods and virtually 90% of body of work relating to Morrowind?

OpenMW as it turns out is a painfully slow and divisive project whose main purpose (I'm calling it right now) will be the ability to read BSA files of Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Drax

Arcane
I didn't specified because I already did several times before, but fair enough: What an opensource engine gives you is the security that you'll always be able to play morrowind. For ever. No matter the hardware or the OS, as long as you have the data files, you only need to have a port of that source code and you'll be able to play Morrowind.
For ever.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't specified because I already did several times before, but fair enough: What an opensource engine gives you is the security that you'll always be able to play morrowind. For ever. No matter the hardware or the OS, as long as you have the data files, you only need to have a port of that source code and you'll be able to play Morrowind.
For ever.
That and all the technical upgrades that come with a modern engine that simply aren't possible just by modding. Concerning everything from scripting to graphics and audio. Plus multi-platform support.
A "finished" OpenMW will only be the beginning of awesome things to come.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
... the security that you'll always be able to play morrowind. For ever.

You are making that sound quite pompous, but it's really a non-issue. The real would-be issue is the Sisyphean task of porting a gazillion of mods to OpenMW.

A "finished" OpenMW will only be the beginning of awesome things to come.

Finished or not finished it makes little difference already. People can do whatever they want to with their time, but going by their developmental habits, I assume a "finished" OpenMW will come out in around a decade.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom