Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

You'll love TFTD then.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finally found a second Alien Base; the devils thought I'd not find them on Tasmania.
So hopefully I'll manage to capture a Commander and wrap up this game.

Haven't lost a core member of my crew in a long time now, only scouts with low bravery. Going for high Psionic Strength for the whole crew has paid off as well, 'cause they shrug off all mental attacks now.

Aliens have never attacked any of my bases, I don't know if that's normal. I've built Mind Shields in the most important ones.
I've shot down just about any alien craft smaller than Large, and the salvage have funded much of the activity in by bases. I guess being vigilant cuts down on the alien terror attacks as well, since there's only been one in a long time now, and yet again Novosibirsk was the target. And yet again Sectoids at night. But with guided missiles (how I love them!) those Cyberdisks are little threat.

HansDampf

Arcane
When I played this earlier this year (Veteran/Ironman) I thought the game got incredibly easy near the end. It was a rough ride, no question. Lost many rookies (sometimes on purpose) and even a base. But once you get a core squad with psionics and blaster launchers, you are just op. I guess you deserve it after months and months of struggle.
Funny how I lost that base though. It was my third base and there were no soldiers defending it, only 6 tanks. Got attacked by Etherals and thought this was going to be fine since they can't mind control tanks, and I also built the base with a chokepoint. The problem were the two or three Sectopods that came with them. They just wouldn't die, no matter how many bullets and rockets I put into them, and all of my tanks eventually ran out of ammo... Lesson learned.
:negative:

I'll have to play it again some time on Superhuman.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And of course, just as I was about to reach the Second Base, two Very Large battleships appeared...
My new Firestorm ship with Plasma Balls didn't manage to shoot one of them down, so obviously more firepower is needed.

Endemic

Arcane
That sounds like an infiltration mission. Say goodbye to some funding.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My Colonel sacrificed her life to bring back a live Commander. Now it should be interesting to see what the science dudes can extract from it...
Also noticed that 70 in Psionic Strength is not enough. Looks like you need 75+. So my core team has been somewhat reduced in strength.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Grrr...had another Hovertank oneshotted, this time by a Snakeman. :argh:

On the bright side Anna Pavlova reported for duty, and there's only 12 hours before my Avenger ship is ready to head for Mars.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
When I played this earlier this year (Veteran/Ironman) I thought the game got incredibly easy near the end. It was a rough ride, no question. Lost many rookies (sometimes on purpose) and even a base. But once you get a core squad with psionics and blaster launchers, you are just op. I guess you deserve it after months and months of struggle.
Funny how I lost that base though. It was my third base and there were no soldiers defending it, only 6 tanks. Got attacked by Etherals and thought this was going to be fine since they can't mind control tanks, and I also built the base with a chokepoint. The problem were the two or three Sectopods that came with them. They just wouldn't die, no matter how many bullets and rockets I put into them, and all of my tanks eventually ran out of ammo... Lesson learned.
:negative:

I'll have to play it again some time on Superhuman.
From my experience (and from what I read in guides) aliens only go after bases with interceptors that intercept their craft. So all my secondary bases were for science/engineers, radars and then I made lots of air defense and only then some Hangars. In the meantime my main base did all the air raids and since I kept up with tech I could shoot down any alien craft coming to attack that base.

EDIT: Also that last weapon for your aircraft is useless. It cannot shoot down Battleships in one run while you can do so using Plasma weapons on best Fighter planes.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
EDIT: Also that last weapon for your aircraft is useless. It cannot shoot down Battleships in one run while you can do so using Plasma weapons on best Fighter planes.

Yeah, Fusion Ball Launchers only have room for three Fusion Balls, while a Plasma Cannon had 100 rounds.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And on October 15th 1999 the alien menace is gone, but how long before a new terror emerges from the deeps?

A bit disappointed that there was no final score screen.

All in all a good game, but not quite as good as I had thought. Not sure excactly why, maybe too much pussyfooting around on the battlescape.

Last edited:

ushas

Savant
which means it will be also in for the next stable 2.0 (first stable for Terror from the Deep), I guess

Though, in case somebody is afraid of Nightlies - while playing the first X-COM, (even with mods) it seems to me more stable than many other commercial stable releases. Lately, there was also an installer added for Windows rookies
http://openxcom.org/2016/08/installer-added-to-the-nightlies/

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So I played through the entire gaming without ever needing a second clip of ammo, never having a soldier's morale fail (even the low Bravery ones I used as scouts, and not counting Psionic attacks), nor having a base invaded (I saw some Battleships whizzing back and forth; were they searching for my bases?).
Did I miss something? Or did I just play too cautiously, or was I just lucky? I had a fair share of competent soldiers dying, so it was not like I played like a superman.

For ammo that's not too unusual unless you really spam autofire. With lasers having infinite shots and heavy plasma dropping most things in 1 or 2 you don't need a ton. Morale works such that your a high ranking soldier provides a big morale boost to everyone but if he dies everyone ends up panicking at once. OTOH every kill you make gives your whole team a morale bonus, so non-psi non-leader death situations only have morale problems when lots of soldiers die without you scoring kills back. Invasions can be quite random but are also dependent on difficulty I think.

Try playing on Superhuman if you haven't already.

Luka-boy

Arcane
A bit disappointed that there was no final score screen.
Others have already mentioned that there is one in the (very recommended to use) nightlies, but just for the record this is how it looks like:
screen01937rdc.png

Now play TFTD and tell us if you have a harder time.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Try playing on Superhuman if you haven't already.

Doesn't higher difficulty levels just mean that the aliens have higher Accuracy?
If so it's just like HP bloat in many CRPGs, which I'm no fan of.
But if I were to replay the game I would use the Sneakier Aliens option and play it Iron Man, but use the "default" difficulty.
But I'm not sure what is default. Is it 2. Experienced or 3. Veteran?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom