Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I need to keep an eye on this:
ktjynEn.png

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6018.0.html

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
If you check the forums, watch out with Dioxine, the main modder, as he's always one step from freaking out.

I also recommend X-Files.
Yeah I tried it. Its pretty good and LARGE. Also its lore connected with xPiratez.
Can you elaborate about Dio?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Keeping an eye out for those X-com threads even if i don't hop in usually, didn't play UFO nor Apocalypse for decades.

Still, as some of you mentioned it and i saw the mod a couple of weeks ago, what do you think about the turn-based X-Com Apoc mod ?
I'm guessing it's too easy with that on ?
Also, the worst problem in Apoc was that last alien panicking and hiding you missed in the first swoop and you now have to do it all over again, any fix for that ?
I think i saw a mod to play as Megapol, anyone tried that ?

About open X-Com, not sure i have it in me to replay this one even if it was my favorite game or maybe because of it.
How does X-piratez play in the long run ? I mean weapon-wise is it worth it ?
I'm not sure i'm really into the pirate thing for X-com.

Cael

Arcane
Keeping an eye out for those X-com threads even if i don't hop in usually, didn't play UFO nor Apocalypse for decades.

Still, as some of you mentioned it and i saw the mod a couple of weeks ago, what do you think about the turn-based X-Com Apoc mod ?
I'm guessing it's too easy with that on ?
Also, the worst problem in Apoc was that last alien panicking and hiding you missed in the first swoop and you now have to do it all over again, any fix for that ?
I think i saw a mod to play as Megapol, anyone tried that ?

About open X-Com, not sure i have it in me to replay this one even if it was my favorite game or maybe because of it.
How does X-piratez play in the long run ? I mean weapon-wise is it worth it ?
I'm not sure i'm really into the pirate thing for X-com.
It takes time for that alien to grow new ones. If you do a search and kill, you should be able to find it by itself and kill it fast.

lightbane

Arcane

I remember him over-reacting for the smallest of things, such as asking how to change the game's text font to another (Dioxine's response: "Stop that. THIS IS THE WAY TO PLAY PIRATEZ ARGH!!").

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I remember him over-reacting for the smallest of things, such as asking how to change the game's text font to another (Dioxine's response: "Stop that. THIS IS THE WAY TO PLAY PIRATEZ ARGH!!").

Don't you mean "Stop that. THIS IS THE WAY TO PLAY PIRATEZ, MORTAL! WRYYYYYYYYYYYY!"
When I see Dio I can't help thinking of JoJo's Bizarre adventure. The idea of a 200 year old vampire losing his shit over a mod is funny to me.

Man, I'm glad OpenApoc is still going strong, I predict a great future if it goes 1.0.

A single lonely alien running away is not much of a threat. The Apoc Aliens have a life-cycle of their own. Strays are not much dangerous, because they will die in a few days, the Apoc Aliens cannot survive for long in our atmosphere. The real risk is when they have a real infection going (say, 20%), they will breed enough not to go away, and once they go above the magical 50% number, that faction is infiltrated and now you got a new enemy.

I don't know if it depends on alien type - a Megaworm would probably be more of a threat than a lonely spitter, because Megaworms breed. That's a good question.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
True, but he's esaily triggered (heh).

That is why Piratez are the way they are - because the author has a strong, a bit crazy vision going into small details. It's lovely.

Yeah. I agree with that statement.
Mod is huge and it have plenty of stuff to discover. You need to be a autistic genius or madmen to even try to make it that HUGE and he done it. I am impressed.
His vision is great and not even because there are boobs.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The Brazilian Slaughter
I'm not letting any alien roaming in my city.
Well, i didn't play apoc for so long i don't remember much but there's probably penalties for letting aliens live in whatever they call those missions. (alien terrors like in UFO ? Didn't play this one nearly as much as the first X-COM; i still have the game and its box though)

lightbane

Arcane
Don't you mean "Stop that. THIS IS THE WAY TO PLAY PIRATEZ, MORTAL! WRYYYYYYYYYYYY!"
When I see Dio I can't help thinking of JoJo's Bizarre adventure. The idea of a 200 year old vampire losing his shit over a mod is funny to me.

The joke with the name was probably intentional. I mean, there are several subtle (and unsubtle) Bleach and Madoka references in Piratez.

That is why Piratez are the way they are - because the author has a strong, a bit crazy vision going into small details. It's lovely.

That's when he's not adding new features freshly made with the engine with dubious results. Also, lots of early weapons and mid-game ones are crap by design.

lightbane

Arcane
IIRC the piratez and xcf philosophy is to have true variety, and not just cosmetic differences. Enemies can equip and use "crap" weapons and so can the player if necessary. While its not strictly symmetrical since the player can optimize, the player can only tell which weapons are crap after research.

And that's the problem when there are so many, many, many tools around. Thankfully, the author provided a few hints regarding that: When in doubt use melee (especially Axes). Ranged weapons that roll 2d10 for damage are better, and once you unlock heavy plasma weaponry you can forget about the rest (kinda like most x-com games including the original).

kyrub

Augur
That's when he's not adding new features freshly made with the engine with dubious results. Also, lots of early weapons and mid-game ones are crap by design.

Exactly, but I think it is his way of implementing things. Guerilla design: action first, reconsideration next. Not very user friendly, but it seems to work at the end.

Has anyone actually finished a game of Piratez? I've played it twice and each time burned out after about a year and a half or so.

Tolias

Educated
> Has anyone actually finished a game of Piratez?

Yeah, Meridian has. I don't have the time or energy to play X-COM seriously anymore, but I watched the entirety of his LP (184 episodes, most range from 30 minutes to an hour) over a period of 3-4 months. Entertaining LP, plus dude has a soothing, pleasant voice and is competent with tactics. Talks kind of slowly though, so I watched at 1.25 speed.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
WARNINGS:
[...]
3. If you absolutely can't stand bikini babes fighting Nazis with chainsaws, you may suffer some trauma.

Seriously ? Is Xpiratez about playing with pirate gals in bikini fighting nazis ?

Well, the mod name would suggest poor taste but as "everyone" is highlighting this mod, i would expect something deeper.

I'm trying Area 51 mod anyway, so far, so good.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
are you a faggot, because you sound like a faggot

In my experience, those using the term faggot to describe other are faggots in denial, unconsciously searching for a soul mate.

Well, just so you know, you should seek fortune elsewhere.

And good luck in your endeavor.

Edit : I shit you not, just ask your psychiatrist and if you don't have one, get one asap.

Last edited:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Has anyone actually finished a game of Piratez? I've played it twice and each time burned out after about a year and a half or so.
I am playing now and having a blast. Plan to finish it but also stale it so I can research everything - especially ALL THE LORE. Playing with house rules also like only recruiting gals from events9and that force me to use auxiliaries/peasants/slave soldiers more) and waiting with using a Drill till the end.

WARNINGS:
[...]
3. If you absolutely can't stand bikini babes fighting Nazis with chainsaws, you may suffer some trauma.

Seriously ? Is Xpiratez about playing with pirate gals in bikini fighting nazis ?
Well, the mod name would suggest poor taste but as "everyone" is highlighting this mod, i would expect something deeper.

To be honest I wasn't to keen to try it either. I mean I expected some fanservice not so fun xcom conversion that main and only selling point will be boobs(not that I don't like boobs but well I am old no fun allowed prude).
What I get is something amazing. It has actually great lore that really expand and explain world and situation what and how happened after the fall of Earth. It actually make sense and is pretty logical. Also there is a lot of it. And written with good detail and not treating themselves too serious. I just fall for it.
Gameplay is also much better and richer than in base game.
Plenty weapons, maps, mission types, armors/clothes etc. A lot of content.
Research tree and encounters also work in dynamic way and it roll differently in each of my 4 campaigns(2 that failed terrible, one that I get bored from save scumming and current one that I have a blast and learn a lot of stuff).
I mean sure they are Humanist(one of pureblood human faction) that you can fight with chicks in bikini using chainsaw but were its only small portion.
In design you lead small faction that thanks to finding old hidden base suddenly start rise to power. Using any means necessary. You fund and get research by raiding main factions, bandits and civilians. Rob people, take hostages for ransoms, produce illegal alcohol to sell etc.
World building is actually top notch. Full of little details, plenty of hidden meanings and well written actually.(still surprised).
You can also fight in many ways. Using melee weapons, melee+pistols, shotguns, explosives, old grenade spam, javelins and bows etc. There is a lot and most is more or less viable for the time I played9so early till mid game). Weapons are plenty and some scale with stats that are sometimes really weird combinations.
I really suggest to try this mod because its genuinely good and defend itself by its quality. Its great even if you dislike boobs
(in short you are a dirty faggot).

Unwanted

Slavegal

Unwanted
The thing I dont like about XPiratez is how strong the melee weapon stats combine with gal stats and then how complicated they are.

Power and skill are even separated so you might end up with a gal that gets great damage on a weapon but horrible accuracy and is much better of with a different weapon. But you mostdef cannot tell by looking at stats ingame.
To top it of, the armor has a huge influence too.
I mean, its literally impossible to tell what is a better weapon.
Except for cases where a gal is visibly has uberstats and can wield the heaviest armorpiercing weapon like an ax with high accuracy so you are guaranteed high damage but high TU cost, but at least its a guarantee.
v4iN2Gm.png

Its like you are forced to enter gal stats and melee stats into Excel. You end spending half the time outside the game. You then end up with yuge table, normalized for accuracy and tu cost...
hmccTSs.png

And the same goes for armor but far less complicated... and guns but there, accuracy is king and dmg is usually comparable.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Sarissofoi
The pitch is better, still, the reason i play x-com is fighting aliens, remove my snake-men, sectoïds and chrysalids and i wouldn't play it.
I don't hate boobs but i have no love for pixilated ones and i certainly get bored with anything related to nazis or pure blood.

The bottom line is, sounds better than Dioxine's pitch, still, i'm not sure it's for me and if you tell me we mostly fight humans enemies, i'll just forget its existence.

By the way, the Area 51 mod is amazing, the only thing that's annoying is the Phasers
(kind of terminators, extremely resistant, using missiles or grenade launchers )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom