Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Opinions of Curse of Monkey Island?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Now that the game is finally easy to buy, I'm playing it with my kids (who have been eager to try it since we finished MI2). A major thing that leaps out to me is how much talkier and more generally passive the game is. The MI series always had a fair amount of talking, but, like, the game starts with a reasonably lengthy cutscene (not true of MI1 or MI2), then the first puzzle involves a fair amount of talking to the little fake pirate, then another cutscene, then a single room/single puzzle sequence, then another cutscene, and very shortly after that you have a lengthy dialogue with the voodoo lady, all before any significant puzzling takes place. Kind of annoying.

Another thing that has popped out is how relatively unpurposive the game is compared to the predecessors. I previously gushed about how great MI2's first area is in this respect, but the opposite is true here. Puzzles are rarely advanced by seeing a goal and going for it. When there is any connection between goal and puzzle, the connection often turns out not to be what you were actually going for. Some examples:

(1) You can take a ramrod when you have no reason to need it. You can't actually use the ramrod to load the cannon. You can't use it to hit the fake pirate (his name keeps escaping me), even though that is a totally reasonable use for it (to paddle his bottom if nothing else). Instead, you deal with the pirate by talking to him. This gets you a fake pirate hook before you have any reason to need/want the fake pirate hook (or any reason to expect that would be the fruit of your effort), and nothing else of use. Then you use the cannon to shoot the skeleton pirates (fine, though not related to anything I need to do). This causes a skeleton arm to float by the ship. You can get the arm by using the hook+ramrod, but there's no reason to think the arm will be helpful. As it turns out, the arm has a sword attached to it, and this leads to the first goal plus logic puzzle (cutting the rope on the cannon to create a loose cannon).

(2) When you're in the hold of the ship, there are tons of items that might be of interest but you're not allowed to interact with/take them. You have helium balloons and a hole above you but you can't use the balloons on the hole (for no real reason). The item you need to take is a burlap sack (the least noticeable item) and the reason you need to take it is because there's a diamond behind it and you can use it to cut a window to let the ship flood so you escape. I mean, the diamond on window is semi-reasonable (I guess), but getting the diamond is literally just "click on everything until something happens" design.

I remember really liking the game back in the day, but I feel like it is a pretty strong demonstration of the way in which design quality collapsed as the veterans faded away -- even though the animation and story-telling and sound are all great, the puzzles are not what they used to be.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
His name is Wally, the map kid from second game :D
But yeah, I agree with your points. Though it gets better after a while, kinda...

bddevil

Educated
I feel like I say this a lot, and I know MI2 is literally the previous game in the series, but it's almost unfair to compare any game's puzzles to MI2.

MI2 has arguably THE best puzzles ever in the genre.

With that said, Curse was always a bit overrated imo. Always felt like it was praised a ton by people who couldn't 'get into MI2 graphics.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There are plot inconsistencies with MI2 that made me very angry.

Also, it ruined the ending of the previous game.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Don't listen to the sourpuss fanboys, MI3 is the best Monkey Island ever and arguably the best adventure game ever. It's certainly the game I would use to introduce someone to the adventure genre. It juices up the formula with the best kind of crowd-pleasing Disney/Pixar Hollywood magic, which is a sharp contrast to Ron Gilbert's typical idiosyncratic moroseness.

Falksi

Arcane
Curse Of Monkey Island is fucking brilliant, no two ways about it, it's flat out shit-hot.

The previous 2 games are awesome in their own right, but MI3 is the best all round experience IMO, especially with how the puzzes evolve from "normal" difficulty to "Mega Monkey", so your second playthrough still includes fresh elements.

Murray is my personally fave character of the whole series, and the moments of ridiculousness (such as the pirate song & El Pollo Diablo) really stand out due to the improved aesthetics.

The pacing is mint too, with mini sections such as sea combat, guitar duels, swordplay again etc. fitting in very nicely.

Lacks the magic of the 1st entry, the depth of the 2nd, but overall it's the most well-rounded & IMO best in the series.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I remember really liking the game back in the day, but I feel like it is a pretty strong demonstration of the way in which design quality collapsed as the veterans faded away -- even though the animation and story-telling and sound are all great, the puzzles are not what they used to be.
Collapsed? Hardly. They're not as good as MI2 (no game's puzzles really are, though even that had a few clunkers), but they're still better than the vast majority of other games. I always felt the whole Blood Island sequence was extremely well put together, and the first island wasn't half bad either.

The opening section is weak, puzzle-wise, as it's awkwardly trying to be some kind of 'adventure games for dummies' tutorial/semi-interactive intro cutscene, but I wouldn't agree that the rest of the game follows suit. The one portion I would say is largely a failure is that ship-to-ship bit and the insult swordfighting. It feels like something that was mandated to be put in, because of course MI has to have insult sword fighting! (even though Ron Gilbert never wanted it to appear again after the first time)

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
MI3 is early in the collapse. Didn’t mean to suggest its puzzles were terrible. But I do feel that good puzzle design more or less stopped when the experienced designers drifted away.

Sizzle

Arcane
Yeah. For the Special Edition, I think only the harder mode is available.

visions

Arcane

Falksi

Arcane
Yeah. For the Special Edition, I think only the harder mode is available.

Gotchya. I only ever played a version where only one set of puzzles where available.

Interesting topic to touch on. I'd love to see a PROPER sequel to MI's 1 through 3 with several levels of puzzle available. Maybe even extra sections on the harder levels.

Hell I'd just like to see a proper sequel made which was point & click, & not some 3-D abomination with fuck all humour.

Otterz

Literate
One of the last well-received adventure games to come out during the last stage of the high age of adventure gaming, I am curious of Codex sentiment with regard to 1997's Curse of Monkey Island.
It's bloody amazing. Fun to play, great dialogues (had me collapse laughing like a broken garden chair in more than a few occasions), supremely well made animated cutscenes, and heck, even the ship battle segment is fun (albeit repetitive and totally uncalled for given the kind of game we're talkng about). Love it with my whole heart.

Starwars

Arcane
I'm replaying this at the moment. Haven't played it in a long time, what a great game it is. And the pirate song is one of the most wonderful moments in any adventure game, it's just too good.

The music is fantastic throughout. What is Michael Land doing these days?

clkerl

Barely Literate
I've recently replayed through MI 1,2, and 3 (haven't gotten to 4 yet). After having done so I can safely say that Curse is the best in the series, Secret is a lot shorter than I remember, and Lechuck's Revenge is better than Secret, but has some really bullshit puzzles and backtracking.

vota DC

Augur
There are plot inconsistencies with MI2 that made me very angry.

Also, it ruined the ending of the previous game.

They had no choice, they couldn't make a pirate game with a child protagonist in a modern world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom