Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Opinions on companions

Parabalus

Arcane
The best NPC by far was Yngvar for me, better even than the 10 CHA one. He just ran around hitting stuff for 40 per hit. Killed Roxanne so I can't really compare, just surprised nobody mentioned him.

From the 3 shit guys I liked Silas the most, with 2h spear. He's great until you start facing strong ranged (hi plants).

You mean I can kill her only with ranged? Hm, solo-melee...

If you can get these 25 SP that way, that's better.

You can bomb her to knock her down, then tag her with something poisoned. If you have all 3 bombs you can just spam her with that and liquid fire.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
From the 3 shit guys I liked Silas the most, with 2h spear. He's great until you start facing strong ranged (hi plants).
Imo plants are one of the easiest enemies in the game. Use barbed arrows at long range. Their defense is nothing.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The best NPC by far was Yngvar for me, better even than the 10 CHA one. He just ran around hitting stuff for 40 per hit. Killed Roxanne so I can't really compare, just surprised nobody mentioned him.

Yngvar is great because he doesn't have a helmet on. Say hello to Roxanna's crossbow. :smug:

I agree with Silas being the best of the three. I got Marcus killed early on, and the other two died right after that, so I was left hanging out with Silas and the old blacksmith until I got the Xbow lady, who I used to replace the blacksmith. That said, I found Silas fairly effective in some of the plant fights. I just had my main character (blocker) run up and get their attention, and then Silas drank Neurostim and Antidote before going plant to plant. Because he is a spear wielder, he doesn't get hit by the leaf/tentacle things, and the plants have no dodge chance so he wipes them out quickly. The non-poison damage is trivial, so even if he does get shot, it's only by the plant he is immediately attacking and it's only a few points of damage.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You can bomb her to knock her down, then tag her with something poisoned. If you have all 3 bombs you can just spam her with that and liquid fire.
So it is confirmed that you anyway will get SP for her? Or only if you kill her?
What if I kill her in first fight, the rest is not going to happen?
If I done 10 damage to her in first fight, she would have -10HP in second?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So it is confirmed that you anyway will get SP for her? Or only if you kill her?

Why are you shooting at her? Are you some sort of misogynist???

Seriously, just recruit her. She's a killing machine.

Anyway, I just finished the game by taking the portal. After killing the emperor and clearing out the fort, I didn't have the stamina to kill 100s of reinforcements. Roxana was integral to my ultimate victory, give her the dual-crossbow and she will demolish anything.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

You mean I can kill her only with ranged? Hm, solo-melee...

If you can get these 25 SP that way, that's better.

Not sure if he is good, used him a lot, never saw 40 dmg per hit. Best was 23 i think. He is not that good, Roxanna with dagger does much more dmg.

hivemind

Roxanna best waifu
Ishmael is based for alchemy and actually pretty good to use
Old Blacksmith guy is worth it as a smithing slave and makes the midgame more changeling by having to drag him around to soak xp while he does nothing
construct I used as fodder on the emperor fight because it's shit
rest I literally didn't use once after meeting Ishmael(tho thinking about using them as fodder on the healign machine constructs fight)

Mozg

Arcane
I played a 4 cha game (one companion) and used Marcus for everything, including crafting when it probably would have been slightly more efficient to drag the blacksmith guy around to easy fights and backtrack incessantly to drop him when I needed the a-team. Same with Ismail (PC did alchemy). When I found the robot it was seemingly inferior to Marcus and would have forced me to backtrack for crafting so I didn't bother. I shoulda backtracked to get it as fodder for the final battle, which killed poor Marcus in the very last fight. RIP entire-game-bro.

For a 6 cha game I'd go Marcus + Roxanne as the a-team. Roxanne is nearly endgame-viable straight out of the box.

8+ cha I dunno because I don't know what stats the high cha-check NPCs have.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I played a 4 cha game (one companion) and used Marcus for everything, including crafting when it probably would have been slightly more efficient to drag the blacksmith guy around to easy fights and backtrack incessantly to drop him when I needed the a-team. Same with Ismail (PC did alchemy). When I found the robot it was seemingly inferior to Marcus and would have forced me to backtrack for crafting so I didn't bother. I shoulda backtracked to get it as fodder for the final battle, which killed poor Marcus in the very last fight. RIP entire-game-bro.

For a 6 cha game I'd go Marcus + Roxanne as the a-team. Roxanne is nearly endgame-viable straight out of the box.

8+ cha I dunno because I don't know what stats the high cha-check NPCs have.

There are all stats of NPCs in Eyestabber DR guide thread in this forum

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Does each fight give you a set amount of SP that gets divided between your dudes?

As in, in a four man team, does everyone get Fight SP/4, a three man team SP/3? Or does everyone get a set amount of SP independent of team size?

Each fight gives a set amount of SP that gets divided. There's a modifier depending on the number of party members:

4: Full amount gets divided.
3: 90%
2: 80%
1: 50%

So, if a fight gives 20 SP, with a party of 4 you get 5 for each. With a party of 3 it's 90% of 20 (18), and it's 6 for each. Party of 2, 80% of 20 = 16/2 party members, 8 each. Solo would net you half, 10 SP. Then, intelligence bonus gets applied.

It was an unintended bug. Fixed in the current version. But if you like it, we might properly implement it.

That's correct.

That's correct.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
But if you like it, we might properly implement it
Nah, don't care.
I killed Ismail for fat 35 SP, that was neat.
Also I thinking now, what if, after battle starts, you run toward NPC construct, and start spam it with grenades or acid.
Do you get exp in this case too?

huckc

Novice
The three shitstains could use 5 more HP imo. (35 HP now) I like those guys but 35 HP barely gets you thru a couple rounds.

axedice

Cipher
Ant poison with 5 con is a recipe for reload. And the only one with 6con is useless for 10cha builds since most of them go for xbox / low str.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom