Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ori and the Blind Forest

Moon Studios, SJW shills?

• Yes

• Probably

• kingcomrade

• wtf mods

Results are only viewable after voting.
https://www.orithegame.com/blind-forest/

https://af.gog.com/game/ori_and_the_blind_forest_definitive_edition?as=1649904300

Is anyone else playing this? I expected it to be a generic artsy fartsy 2d platformer with shitty flash-quality animation, but it turned out to be quite beautiful and pretty engaging so far.

It's a metroid-style game in which you need to unlock powerups to advance to the next section of the level. It's been a pleasure to play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jigawatt

Arcane
Yeah, I've played a few hours, been quite enjoying it so far. On one hand it cribs a lot of things from other games, not really bringing much new to the table - but the execution of the various elements is very well done indeed. So far the critical path has been easy to figure out / follow but some of the hidden pickups along the way have had a decent amount of challenge both in terms of puzzle solving and finessing the platforming.

Overall would recommend it for the $20 to anyone with fondness for both Metroid and Rayman and looking for something new.

The intro story section's a bit tedious though, just bear with it I guess.

Also this got under my skin a little
Wikipedia said:
Ori and the Blind Forest is a platform adventure video game designed by Moon Studios, an independent developer, and published by Microsoft Studios.
Guess I still haven't got used to living in a world where words don't mean anything

Martius

Liturgist
I had no idea it will have anything to do with metroidvania. Well, maybe I will pick it up later on some sale or eariler if I will find better offer than typical extra tax for being rich European.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Why can't I select "They're kingcomrade (kingcomrade option)"?

0/DORITOS. WOULD NOT VOTE.

- Dinosaur Inquirer

Chamezero

...generic artsy fartsy 2d platformer...shitty flash-quality animation...metroid-style...$20...published by Microsoft Studios...we didn't intend Ori to be a boy or a girl specifically...
picgifs-laughing-35443.gif

Sizzle

Arcane
My gf's been playing it for the last couple of days, enjoying it a lot. Looks very pretty, don't know about the story, though.

It gets pretty challenging after a while, so it should probably be played with a gamepad (she insists on using the keyboard + mouse combo, old habits die hard).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's not like there haven't been other games where your character is androgynous. Or is kirby some sort of beacon of masculinity to you guys?

Anyways, the only thing I'm really concerned about in a 'mteroidvania' type game is how open it actually is. Because plenty of games claim that mantle, but the powerups are used as glorified keycards to get through specific obstacles in a very linear fashion. Dust, an Overly Titled Game, suffered from this a lot. Decent games in the genre provide multiple routes and redundant areas without the need to do some borderline glitch bullshit to go off the rails.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's been quite good to me so far. My biggest complaint is the mash-to-zap combat not really adding anything to the game. The production values are very good on this. The music doesn't get on my nerves after the first 30 minutes. The environments ar epretty and varied. The animation is smooth.

The difficulty has been spot on so far, save for a spike in one section. A "boss fight" escape sequence where a single mistimed jump (and you have to do a lot of them in quick succession) kills you.

It's ramping up steadily too with every new ability unlocked.
It's €20, sure, but I think it's worth it if you like old school metroidvania-style platformers.

:thumbsup:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Game looks as queer as a two dollar bill. Or Jaesun.

:love:

Dev_Anj

Learned
So do you like how the game looks or not, Metro? Because you agreed with a post making fun of the game and the thread's original post, yet you didn't say anything too bad about the game, and you even included the hugging emoticon in your post.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It's not like there haven't been other games where your character is androgynous. Or is kirby some sort of beacon of masculinity to you guys?

Anyways, the only thing I'm really concerned about in a 'mteroidvania' type game is how open it actually is. Because plenty of games claim that mantle, but the powerups are used as glorified keycards to get through specific obstacles in a very linear fashion. Dust, an Overly Titled Game, suffered from this a lot. Decent games in the genre provide multiple routes and redundant areas without the need to do some borderline glitch bullshit to go off the rails.
This retard says "glorified keycards" like the keycard mechanic was ever bad.
Also I notice the mods are more incompetent than ever.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Keycards were good precisely because they weren't glorified. When you have to do some retarded shit like break a bunch of rocks just to go through a door in the one spot in the game you can use that ability, it's just a waste of time.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not required to answer newfags. Are you the developer of this game? Or some other game? BTW, the hug was for Jaesun.

Dev_Anj

Learned
The answer to both questions is no. I specifically asked that question because your post was a bit confusing in context with the agreement you showed towards a post. It should have been as simple as saying yes, no or kind of, but if you don't want to answer, it's up to you.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The answer to both questions is no. I specifically asked that question because your post was a bit confusing in context with the agreement you showed towards a post. It should have been as simple as saying yes, no or kind of, but if you don't want to answer, it's up to you.
Welcome to the Codex.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
[Insert Benny the cab driver saying 'Welcome to Mars!' from Total Recall YouTube clip here.]

(Can't believe no one has put that on YouTube)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom