Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Original Xbawks

I bought a few months ago because of its cheapness (like 15$? I could not resist) and despite some prejudices of mine it's a pretty good hardware when modded.

There's lots of crap, yeah, it's undenialable, some games are obsolete because of their superior PC ports but:

Pros:

1) Exclusives - Ninja Gaiden Black, Metal Wolf Chaos, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Conker Bad Fur remake, Dead or Alive 3, Gunvalkyrie made Xbox a Dreamcast 2 and since there's no emulation available, it's worth to have console just for them. And still waiting for Shin Megami Tensei: Nine translation patch.

2) PS2 multiplats - PS2 emulation is still demanding, I don't have a PC powerful enough to reach real hardware quality let alone to surpass it so Xbox gives me cheapest way to play multiplatform games (and many of them have better graphics than PS2 / Dreamcast ports).

2) Emulation - just download & burn ISO called Big Ass Emulator Disc and you'll get full romset (exlcuding hacks or European versions) with emulators of NES, SNES, Genesis, SMS, Lynx, Colecovision, Intellivision etc. 14,620 games in one place. There are also working emulators for ZX Spectrum, C64 or Amiga. PCSXBox is a mixed bag, it depends on game e.g. Castlevania: SOTN, Space Hulk: VOTBA or Parappa the Rapper are fully playable but Valkyrie Profile suffers from slowdowns, messed-up V/A or freezes. Haven't tried N64 or MAME yet.

Cons:

1) Shitty DVD-Drive that cannot read CDR, CDR-RW nor DVD-RW

2) D-pad

Overall, it's a nice machine to get for dirty cheap as well as most of games (no more than few bucks with some expections of course). Maybe one day some Android-based machine will replace it in terms of price/quality ratio but for now...

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane

Cons:

1) xbox

Fixed

I hope you're not torturing yourself by playing trying to play those emulated games with:

Original-Xbox-Controller.jpg

Why not just save for better PC hardware that way you can emulate every system known to man in the most optimal way.

Last edited:
Mine is more like that one, d-pad is pain in the ass in the beginning but I've already used to it so it's not a problem now.

xboxoriginalcontroller.jpg

PS Recommend me some obscure Xbox games worth playing that I didn't mention above (including homebrew).

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
PS Recommend me some obscure Xbox games worth playing that I didn't mention above (including homebrew).
Maybe Breakdown is worth trying. I've never played it but I heard it's interesting.
breakdownj.jpg
77368_full.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakdown_(video_game)

Phantom Crash - shooter with mechs, I played the sequel on the PS2 emulator, quite fun.
Phantom_Crash.jpg
slai-phantom-crash-20040820091221582-000.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Crash

Steel Battalion is worth mentioning, but it requires an expensive controller (its packaged with the game)
155693-Steel%20Battalion%201.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Battalion
Steel-Battalion-Controller.jpg

Always wanted to play this game.

Maybe MechAssault is also worth trying. I've heard that it's shitty, but this might be just the butthurt caused by the fact that it's an arcade game instead of a proper "Mechwarrior" title.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Seconding the Kingdom Under Fire games. Easily some of my favorite games. I've also heard really good things about the Otogi games but I've only played a bit of the first one.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Hold on a second...
You can play PS2 games on Xbox??? Without glitches and slowdowns??
:what:

Lemming42

Arcane
My Xbox came with Blinx The Timesweeper, Fusion Frenzy and Deadly Skies. It was legitimately the greatest thing ever.

The best part about the original Xbox, though, was playing Project Gotham Racing with the real steering wheel control, because whenever you crashed or braked really suddenly the steering wheel would vibrate against your balls uncontrollably.

Why not just save for better PC hardware that way you can emulate every system known to man in the most optimal way.

Nostalgia goes here, last console I owned was Famiclone and I wanted to recreate some part of it and what's more - sitting before TV with pad in my hand after 17 years of PC gaming with k+m it's kinda... refreshing.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Xbox 1 was actually a solid console with lots of weird Jap/Indie titles.

Right now i'm looking for a Vampire/Monster hunter game to post up here, I can't remember the name of the fucking game though. Also, Phantom Crash was a solid suggestion, I bought that game at a Sam's club years ago with Armored Core 3, and Defender for PS2.

Here's a few games I haven't played in years:

Armed_and_Dangerous_box_cover.png

Armed and Dangerous

Brute_Force_Coverart.png

Brute Force

Capcom_vs_SNK_2.png

Capcom vs SNK 2

Panzercover.jpg

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Emulation of the xbox is 'mission impossible' because its games actually depend on a older windows API which it has a cut down version running
:troll:

wine has more likelyhood of emulating the xbox than most other things (but they wont).

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
6ZmiebF.jpg

I played the Timesplitters series to death and back. Even if the online component has gone now, the bots are still relatively fun to play against.

Guyz, some of PC games that are better on Xbox, are there any of them? I've heard Jade Empire or DE:IW had terrible PC ports but dunno anything more about it.

A horse of course

Guyz, some of PC games that are better on Xbox, are there any of them? I've heard Jade Empire or DE:IW had terrible PC ports but dunno anything more about it.

I remember that Morrowind used to look better on the xbox than on moderately powerful pc.

There's an xbawks magazine interview somewhere in which Todd specifically states that this version will be superior to the PC one.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Go play Morrowind on Xbawks for redemption.

Now seriously - you got some old news about PC ports. Like - decade old.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom