Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Osiris New Dawn, Ark and Rust in SPAAAAAAAACE - new top seller on Steam

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Ok I can imagine once you got used to such a frame stabilizing technology that it would be impossible to go back. But right now, I can say a lot of such games run in borderless windows.

Also if you compare it with other Unity games like Subnautica, what is this worth to have an additonal 2 frames every 1/60th of a second if the contents of the screen are not even logically consistent.

I think in comparison to that the problems in Osiris are really minor, especially if you have a 60hz monitor and are fine with that.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Actually, Proteus 2 is a moon. Checkmate, Burning Bridges.

If you really want to get mad, have a look at this tidbit I found in a random Osiris discussion:

99bbe95fe8.png

Burning Bridges

I know that it is supposed to be a moon, and it's completely irrelevant. there is no difference between being on a moon or a planet whatsoever.

Concerning the tidbit, this is much less of an issue, because the game progresses slow as fuck (unless you go directly to the resources you need about 1 week until you have your first fully equipped base and spaceship) and not dying did not bother me.

in RL repeated dying is not part of the equation either, so why do you have to die in a game to have fun.

I agree that they need to make it much harder to find the resources, this is quite obvious.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I know that it is supposed to be a moon, and it's completely irrelevant. there is no difference between being on a moon or a planet whatsoever.

For a second there I thought you might be German, but then I glanced at your location and remembered you're from South Carolina.

Concerning the tidbit, this is much less of an issue, because the game progresses slow as fuck (unless you go directly to the resources you need about 1 week until you have your first fully equipped base and spaceship) and not dying did not bother me.

in RL repeated dying is not part of the equation either, so why do you have to die in a game to have fun.

I agree that they need to make it much harder to find the resources, this is quite obvious.

I haven't died yet either. In Osiris, you can just sprint past the great majority of enemies if desired. When I encountered my first sandworm, which one can hardly fail to notice since it debuts with a massive explosion, I just turned 90 degrees to the right of its spawn point and sprinted away perpendicular to its path of travel. They always spawn in the same locations; that should be at least somewhat randomized in the future, I think.

Resources should probably be harder to find, but then again, it seems to me that crafting in general could use some balancing as well. For example, a single battery calls for 5 lithium ingots, while an entire laboratory calls for what, 2 or 3? Presumably it's a lithium battery small enough to fit into a basic suit headlamp or be incorporated into an energy pistol magazine, so we're talking about something that's at most the size of an elongated standard D-cell. While that's a realism argument, this is a game that attempts to be science-y, going so far as to list melting points and include roughly accurate weights based on molecular weights.

I did some digging for fun. The gold ingot in Osiris is listed as weighing 0.4 kg. Supposedly Proteus 2's gravity is 1.62g, which means that on Earth, the same amount of gold would weigh about 0.25 kg. Going by this picture and imagining the pictured 1 kg ingot cut down by 3/4, it's safe to conclude that mineral ingots in Osiris (they all appear to be weight-proportional) are approximately finger-sized. Indeed, five lithium ingots, two gold ingots, and a magnesium ingot of that size would make for a long, fat D-cell battery, although why you'd need massive gold contacts is a real mystery.

But if that's true, then habitat walls and so on should require far more ingots to build... far, far more. I think it would be best to tone down the resource cost of handheld and personal items a little, while also dialing up the cost of structures and so on a bit.

They definitely need to work on food and water, too. As much as I enjoy not having to inhale an entire restaurant for every realtime hour of gameplay, as it is now sustenance isn't an issue at all.

And of course, at the moment you can revisit places like Alfheim Refinery and get loads of free ammo and batteries every fresh reload or if you zone out and back in. I pillaged the place twice, but in the future I think I'll restrict myself to one pillaging per location per playthrough.

Currently (heh), power generation and management also seem to be abstracted and not part of the game's challenge. One small solar panel is enough to power all of my outside equipment, and the habitat just powers itself.

Finally, in the future there should be more actual need for additional hab modules. As it is, you can get away with one hab module, an airlock, a barracks, and a bio dome, with all needful furniture and crafting stations installed and three storage cabinets. I've built a second hab for the fabricator and more storage and plan to build a second-story hab also, but it's mainly just because I can.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

And of course, at the moment you can revisit places like Alfheim Refinery and get loads of free ammo and batteries every fresh reload or if you zone out and back in. I pillaged the place twice, but in the future I think I'll restrict myself to one pillaging per location per playthrough.

This is actually one of my biggest gripes, because it is by design.

The other things are ignorable, but I have seen people who directly go to the refinery to get all their stuff from the automatically restocking containers.

Unfortunately it gets worse when you find there is also an unlimited source of rubber, but I better not tell you.

Burning Bridges

I haven't died yet either.

What I recommend is to play on a private server and set the difficulty to maximum, at least with respect to monsters. You can pretty much adjust anything from the decay of pickaxes to the strength of monsters.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Unfortunately it gets worse when you find there is also an unlimited source of rubber, but I better not tell you.

To obtain rubber the "normal" way, I have to run 250m to a chlorine vent to fill 16 barrels, run back, put them away, run 600m to a hydrogen vent to fill 16 barrels, run back, put them away, and getting the carbon takes time. I'd estimate it takes about twenty minutes to roam around Worm Spine Pass and obtain a load of carbon that will turn into ~150 carbon ingots. So I'd guess that, including downtime and so on, it takes about 30 seconds of work to make each piece of rubber, now that I know exactly where to go and what to do. That's 25 minutes per stack. Not too bad, all things considered, although a stack of rubber can vanish surprisingly quickly.

I really think this game needs a starter vehicle, e.g. a relatively slow, solar-powered dune buggy with minimal storage or similar. It takes quite a while to realize that diamond can be had from precious metal nodes or to find a cave or dungeon with diamonds. I haven't found any actual diamond nodes yet, only gotten lucky with precious metal nodes.

Burning Bridges

I built a chemical plant near the geysers in the South where even that was no problem. You just need enough barrels, all the required gases are within 100m.

Look I don't know where they will go with this game. But they said they want to build an entire solar system, and I think that Proteus will become more of the starter area.

If I was them I would make the resources much scarcer and the maps larger so that you really need to look for them. There should also be planets with very harsh climatic conditions so that you absolutely must be in a habitat, right now you could really make do with just staying in the open.

They said that they want to add mechanics like energy and consumables and I think the game could become really interesting then. There is just a lot of underdeveloped stuff, like agriculture that is already in the game, but also serves no real purpose as there is plenty of food.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's quite nice, you have the feeling the explore a planet, but really i cant recommend the purchase .Theres only a few hours worth of content, its early early access. No AI yet, encounters are trivial , mobs getting stuck,the only way to die is to jump from a cliff .It shows potential but same as another dozens of similar survival games who arent any close to release after years either.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Theres only a few hours worth of content, its early early access.

Setting aside the time taken to locate and farm materials, earn skill points, find cryptexes, and explore, this is fairly accurate, although in a sandbox game part of the point is to make your own content. Because it's in early development, however, the tools to do that are a bit thin. The implementation of custom structures needs to be finished (they currently serve only as glorified outdoor-only storage sheds and facades), more complexity and functionality must be added to habitats (actual power generation and management, actual atmosphere generation and management, more deco, etc.), and various barebones systems need to be expanded upon, refined, and/or implemented (food and hydroponics, space suit parts, creature capturing/taming/breeding/engineering, etc.).

No AI yet...

That's not true at all. Enemies are attracted by loud noises, primarily hitting things with the chisel. They have different attack patterns beyond all-out charging: skeliopods circle at length and then dart in, sometimes zig-zagging to avoid fire; crab monsters crab walk unpredictably and then charge headlong; gnats sometimes launch tremendous leaps, and sometimes fire acid; etc. Some enemies will also flee if damaged heavily enough, and some won't always attack on sight even if they're generally territorial or aggressive (this needs expanding upon, and mainly applies to parasytes currently). Some are passive and will either attack or flee if an astronaut either attacks them or gets too close, depending upon species.

encounters are trivial , mobs getting stuck,the only way to die is to jump from a cliff .

Trivial in most cases, yes, although fighting a crab monster on foot is quite an ordeal. Despite the ease of either sprinting to safety or healing up quickly, however, frankly I find that most creatures are bullet sponges to a somewhat annoying degree. I really haven't noticed mobs getting stuck very often at all, unless you're scrambling over some steep rocky cliff to get away, but crab monsters can smoothly navigate even these as can be seen with the crab mecha.

Speaking of the crab mecha, Burning Bridges, I found your Rubber Nirvana:

402710_201711031938409mu8l.png
I'm very impressed by the crab mecha. It might be the most satisfying vehicle I've ever used in any game. It can crabwalk laterally, turn up to 180° almost on a dime and with a smooth accompanying animation, and it scrambles up virtually all steep inclines smoothly yet believably haltingly, its claws grabbing at handholds very convincingly and almost never getting stuck (I've yet to get it stuck, actually). The spaceship, too, actually feels very spaceship-y and handles as though it's a great big machine, a rarity in this sort of game.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

I agree with most of what you say Blaine though there is a decent amount of content if you play this without rush.

If you rush through it you can cross the continent within 1 or 2 days. But I spent over a week to carefully map resources and looking for optimal places for my bases. Only at the end I built a vehicle and circumnavigated the continent to get a feel for its size and discovered the remaining stuff. It did end with the feeling that something was missing, but all the same this was some of the best fun I had gaming during the last year.

It's a lamentable fact that no one attempts a game that simulates real planet sized worlds (though this has been done on computers with few megabytes RAM) but this is the fault of Unity, where people lost the skills to program and just place individual objects like retards, complaining that it is impossible to create larger worlds. That is a trent that was inevitable when this execrable Unity engine became mainstream.

Burning Bridges

There are some news, very bad ones. 2018 was an absolute terrible year for Osiris with zero updates and only promises that the developer was now working on a major update to 1.0

A couple if days ago the update dropped. Kind of. Instead of the expected bombastic upgrade to Star Citizen level a meek opt-in beta has been made available and apparently it's a code rollback to 2016, only linked the very latest version of Unity.

Of course fans are going apeshit in the forum now and some have even determined to report Fenix Fire to Steam.

I have tried it briefly and it looks weird. Control is shit. The last version I played in 2017 was a lot of fun but the netcode was pure crap. Meaning you could not play it on a public server, although private server with 3-4 people was possible.

The beta has an interface with landing sites, but that can hardly been a year of work. My take is that the developer has decided to rewrite the entire game because the codebase was too much shite. If this is a good idea I don't know but they should have moved to a decent engine. Because in the end, this Unity nonsense is going to bite them in the ass even with a new codebase.

What we learn from this? If you want to make games you should make sure you understand how to bring it to an end. Otherwise it will end in heartache and embarassment and people may actually try to ban you from Steam.

btw, this is nothing compared to Rokh, where the publisher was whining that the original developer had embezzled an astronomic amount of start capital, they sold only a pathetic number of copies and are now trying to pass the game to some "code doctors". This of course ended in greater humiliation, the publisher announced the magnitude of incompetence and people in their forum started discovering that they were already promoting a new MMO and citing ROKH as their past achievement :D
Most of these new projects fail this way or another but I am still getting a lot out of them for the LULZ.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are some news, very bad ones. 2018 was an absolute terrible year for Osiris with zero updates and only promises that the developer was now working on a major update to 1.0

A couple if days ago the update dropped. Kind of. Instead of the expected bombastic upgrade to Star Citizen level a meek opt-in beta has been made available and apparently it's a code rollback to 2016, only linked the very latest version of Unity.

Of course fans are going apeshit in the forum now and some have even determined to report Fenix Fire to Steam.

I have tried it briefly and it looks weird. Control is shit. The last version I played in 2017 was a lot of fun but the netcode was pure crap. Meaning you could not play it on a public server, although private server with 3-4 people was possible.

The beta has an interface with landing sites, but that can hardly been a year of work. My take is that the developer has decided to rewrite the entire game because the codebase was too much shite. If this is a good idea I don't know but they should have moved to a decent engine. Because in the end, this Unity nonsense is going to bite them in the ass even with a new codebase.

What we learn from this? If you want to make games you should make sure you understand how to bring it to an end. Otherwise it will end in heartache and embarassment and people may actually try to ban you from Steam.

btw, this is nothing compared to Rokh, where the publisher was whining that the original developer had embezzled an astronomic amount of start capital, they sold only a pathetic number of copies and are now trying to pass the game to some "code doctors". This of course ended in greater humiliation, the publisher announced the magnitude of incompetence and people in their forum started discovering that they were already promoting a new MMO and citing ROKH as their past achievement :D
Most of these new projects fail this way or another but I am still getting a lot out of them for the LULZ.

Shame, I was thinking of getting this game but this is why I stopped buying games still in early access.

Burning Bridges

You should still try it, it was actually a lot of fun when I last played it in 2017.

I think the main problem is the engine and they now desperately try to fix it. But it sets them back several years.

nothing unsual in Unity and Early Access land

Burning Bridges

Blaine from what I gather this game completely changed direction exactly at the time we both got it.

i.e. no updates for over a year, and the long promised "update" is basically a rewrite of everything. It appears to has less content than the "alpha" had 2 years ago and from what I see, no one is playing it currently.

My take is this is another case of DOA in the making. They fucked up with releasing a game that ran at 5 fps in multiplayer, and then made it worse by abandoning the completely functional single player part. Should have never been Multiplayer cause the guys have no idea how to do that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom