Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ossian Studios - what are these guys up to?

• Thread starter DramaticPopcorn
  • Start date

DramaticPopcorn

These are the guys that had made premium modules for both Neverwinter Nights games.

Despite relative simplicity of production, I'm really fond of their ideas and creativity when working with very limiting set of tools. It's kind of a bummer when their first standalone game is released for mobile devices, but I guess you need to start somewhere. I haven't checked it out myself but a friend of mine recently finished it and shared his criticism which pretty much fell in line with my thoughts on their previous products.

So, anyway, does anyone know what has happened to them after the Shadow Sun? Are they working on anything? Does anyone care? :(

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All news on them is pretty much their mobile game.
Was worth 2$ though.

JasonNH

Augur
I know a couple of people that are currently working with them on an RPG but I don't have any details on what it is or even what platform, but they're doing something.

Name

Cipher
Possibly sequel for their first iOS game is also in works. It's well received, interm osf mobile games.

Expon

Scholar
IMG__201512349__070505.png_zpsprbx3u5w.jpeg

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Cool that these dudes are still around, though Darkness Over Daggerford is one of the few NWN modules I started and didn't complete because I felt it was so slick & safe & bland & just...blah. It was like the meat and the wine in the old Star Trek episode The Squire of Gothos - just completely without flavor but looked oh so appetizing!

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Darkness Over Daggerford was really well produced and had a few (small) brilliant ideas but it was just a paint by numbers Baldur's Gate tribute made with a checklist and had no creativity in most areas. I heard their NWN2 module is better but I can't stomach the engine so I haven't played it.

skyst

Augur
Their NWN2 adventure, Mysteries of Westgate, was solid. One of the better things to do if you're set on playing NWN2 (MotB being the best, obviously).

I bought their mobile game but couldn't get very far into it. I never play mobile games but I gave it a whirl due to liking their other projects. Reminded me a bit of KotOR, which, for me, is not a good thing.

I always hope for more from Ossian. What they did with NWN1/2 makes me think that they have some talent but they seem committed to making mods or these (relatively speaking) shitty mobile games. Is game making a part-time thing for them? They would be far better off doing something more hardcore and PC exclusive. Maybe they sold a ton of The Shadow Sun at $2, I'm not bothering to look that up, but it just felt like the kind of game made without any real group of gamers in mind.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The head guy at Ossian, Alan Miranda, is working for Beamdog in some capacity, so it's interesting to see that he still has plans for The Shadow Sun.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember MOW as being really rather challenging, almost to the point where I almost ragequit in the first part of the expansion. But then it got easier as I leveled up, until I was breezing along and quite enjoying myself... until near the end, where it suddenly spiked in difficulty. I remember you had to kill the end game boss multiple times (or maybe it was multiple bosses each a single time) and just as I was pushed to the absolute limits of my endurance (not to mention constitution, and vitality, and every other stat) and was about to ragequit again, the game was over. Then I realized that that's how a good RPG is suppose to be. Definitely the best thing I played from these guys. Very happy I played it.

I also bought The Shadow Sun on behalf of their previous work but couldn't get myself to play it for more than half an hour, it was just not interesting.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really liked Shadow Sun. Not for any reason that would stand up to criticism really, but it did scratch my nwn 1&2 mod itch, and that hasn't been scratched in a long time. I liked the setting too, pretty much a straight copy of Calimshan. Story was meh.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Luspr posted on my blog recently (this post).

Ooh, I will be following this [Ed: My Darkness Over Daggerford walkthrough] with great interest. The effort that you have put onto the presentation and critique is fantastic.

Under the pseudonym of Luspr I was actually the longest serving developer on the project, so you will understand why I'm interested to follow your progress. If it is interesting for you (and other readers) I would be happy to provide some context for the design and decision making process, especially now that quite a long time has passed - 10 years! - since the module was released. There actually are reasons (not necessarily good ones, mind you) that the cut scenes are sometimes so annoying and the treasure is madly imbalanced. But for now I will just say that you were right in your first campaign notes. The resting system was pure homage to BG1, as simple than that. Personally... I'm with you. Unnecessarily annoying rather than immersive :)

Not sure what he's doing now, though.

Expon

Scholar
Capture_zpsj9jgrcyn.png

C2apture_zpsliydiktx.png

he didn't really imply it would be on pc and mobile, it could just be ios and andorid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom