Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast: Second Contact - Outcast remake

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Pledged.

These guyz deserve some money - even if for old time's sake

potatojohn

Arcane
Personally, I'd rather see Outcast 2 than Outcast HD, since I played and finished it on release.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'd love to see these guys deliver. The kickstarter makes all my vapourware alarm bells ring however. At least I still have my old outcast CD if I'm feeling nostalgic.

How's the crysis outcast fan mod coming along anyway?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
How's the crysis outcast fan mod coming along anyway?

Based on founded FB page - they made demo of Oasis in 2010 and they're come back with this Kickstarter.

EDIT
there was other project on CryEngine that turned from mod into standalone (something with Stalker or else) but forgot the name of it. "Zone" or something...

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am not feeling this at all.
Outcast was great when it came out, but it has aged terribly. And I don't mean the graphics. The gameplay is simple "go there, kill that." intertwined with endless dialogs. Every game and their cousin has been doing that, especially since everybody seems to be into Open World. The universe sounded amazing to teenager me, but I am not certain it remains appealing.

Now if this was a sequel, I might bother.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
I am not feeling this at all.
Outcast was great when it came out, but it has aged terribly. And I don't mean the graphics. The gameplay is simple "go there, kill that." intertwined with endless dialogs. Every game and their cousin has been doing that, especially since everybody seems to be into Open World. The universe sounded amazing to teenager me, but I am not certain it remains appealing.

Now if this was a sequel, I might bother.

A sequel? With what money? They can't just go see some publisher and say "Hey we want to make a sequel to Outcast, a PC game from the 90' the modern gamer doesn't even know the existence".
And you can't get the necessary budget for this kind of game on Kickstarter.
Only solution is to make a remake of the first one via kickstarter to gain an audience among the new market.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A sequel? With what money? They can't just go see some publisher and say "Hey we want to make a sequel to Outcast, a PC game from the 90' the modern gamer doesn't even know the existence".

They tried that in 1999, see how that went:

http://francksauer.com/index.php/co...hed-prototypes/29-outcast-2-the-lost-paradise

Infogrames insisted that we should make the game for consoles first. They also insisted to have more action and less adventure, because that's what console gamers want they said

zwanzig_zwoelf

They should add a stretch goal for remaster/complete re-recording and release of the soundtrack in 5.1/7.1. Stereo is simply not enough for this game.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dunno what to think about this one. While Outcast is one of my all time favourite games these guys seemed a little unexperienced to me. And I replayed originial many times so I'd like to see a new follow up game, not an HD remake...

:Flash:

Arcane
b7013cae857da7a8cdf74c7b0f0513c9_large.jpg

f20712ecf657c24ee4eb53def3b3608c_large.jpg

It's kind of ironic that the only thing that IMHO needed fixing in the old engine is not fixed at all.
The viewing distance (which was spectacular back in the day) can be kind of frustrating nowadays, if you're on a mountaintop and the areas below all end at a certain distance. The new engine ends at exactly the same distance.

Name

Cipher

It's kind of ironic that the only thing that IMHO needed fixing in the old engine is not fixed at all.
The viewing distance (which was spectacular back in the day) can be kind of frustrating nowadays, if you're on a mountaintop and the areas below all end at a certain distance. The new engine ends at exactly the same distance.

Is it because of if make the view distance further, the world will feel too small?
Or is it because the engine limitation (which one?).

grudgebringer

Is it because of if make the view distance further, the world will feel too small?
Or is it because the engine limitation (which one?).
It's part of the charm. The fogginess should stay.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
I am not certain any french speaker saw this and posted it here so : http://www.factornews.com/interview/outcast-reboot-hd-3-questions-a-franck-sauer-page-1-38628.html

The relevant bit I'd like to translate is the second question.

Les dialogues vont rester tels quels, cela fait partie des assets qui nous permettent de réaliser un AAA au prix d’un jeu indé. Cependant la facon dont ces dialogues vont être déclenchés et dont les quêtes vont être managées va être complétement revue. Il s’agit ici de streamliner le gameplay, rendre les quêtes plus accessibles et retirer le noise de l’information essentielle pour le joueur. A titre d’exemple, la fameuse permière quête insupportable va être complètement changée !

The dialogs are going to stay the same, they're part of the assets that allow us to create a AAA game for the cost of an indie game. However, the way those dialogs are going to be triggered and the quests are managed is going to be completely overhauled. We want to streamline the gameplay, make the quest more approachable and remove the information noise to the essential. The infamous first annoying quest is going to be completely changed, as an example.

So not only they are going to change the quests and keep the same dialogs (how the hell does this work?) but they are also to "streamline" the gameplay. This is Outcast, not Dwarf Fortress. It was already pretty much streamlined to start with. I really wonder where they are going with that. I'm thinking : tablets.

Arcane
Sounds like they'll replace asking people for the location of other people with floating exclamation marks.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Yeah. Wasnt a feature of the original asking for directions and NPCs pointing their finger at where you needed to go?

Wasteland 2

They should put this comparison screenshot at the top of the kickstarter page not at the bottom. I wouldn't find about it if not for this post.

I don't recall view distance to be huge issue, but maybe fan patch I used allowed to increase it beyond default, don't remember.
Increasing it too much would reveal how repetitive and tightly packed environment is, like with with morrowind and too huge view distance.
Edit: Just realized I remember adjusting view distance in ini files, I am sure here it'll be possible here too. It's just artistic/gameplay/performance related devs choice.

Last edited:

Arcane
I don't recall view distance to be huge issue, but maybe fan patch I used allowed to increase it beyond default, don't remember.
Increasing it too much would reveal how repetitive and tightly packed environment is, like with with morrowind and too huge view distance.
Edit: Just realized I remember adjusting view distance in ini files, I am sure here it'll be possible here too. It's just artistic/gameplay/performance related devs choice.

It was possible to edit the ini file, but it had no effect if the value was higher than what the configuration tool allowed. It wasn't even possible to set it higher with the same trick that did allow it for the resolution.
AFAIK there was no fan patch to adjust it, either. I put a lot of time into trying to get a higher view distance.
I didn't think about the possibility that the levels would end at some point, though.

Astral Rag

Arcane

The original Outcast filled me with a sense of awe and wonder back in the day and I was hoping (and assuming) this "HD" remake would have stellar visuals, animation, audio and physics in order to re-create that sense of awe and wonder in this day and age. Instead they show us something that looks and moves like a mediocre, sterile, fan-made creation. Just look at it.

Of course this is a WIP and it could still become something great but I'm not taking any risks. If it turns out great I will definitely buy it.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

The original Outcast filled me with a sense of awe and wonder back in the day and I was hoping (and assuming) this "HD" remake would have stellar visuals, animation, audio and physics in order to re-create that sense of awe and wonder in this day and age. Instead they show us something that looks and moves like a mediocre, sterile, fan-made creation. Just look at it.

Of course this is a WIP and it could still become something great but I'm not taking any risks. If it turns out great I will definitely buy it.
Trolling? Otherwise watch the fucking video before ragequitting, they're using the assets from the original game as placeholder.

Astral Rag

Arcane
they're using the assets from the original game as placeholder

My bad, I didn't realize that (only watched parts of the video with muted sounds because I'm at work) so I take back some of my criticisms.

Not impressed by the rebuilt environment though. Will wait and see how this turns out.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom