Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast: Second Contact - Outcast remake

grudgebringer

They'd better not show any footage at all at this stage. Because some stupid people will surely think that these are the final looks.

Wasteland 2
Not impressed by the rebuilt environment though. Will wait and see how this turns out.
The point is, it's not rebuilt. Environment is procedurally generated from original voxel data and use just a few new textures and models. I would say it looks really good for what it is.
To really wow you, they would have to really start from scratch, that is not a goal here. The goal is to achieve maximum effect with minimum effort to sell it again to old and new generation of players to fund a sequel.

I may love original, but the controls and gameplay are really clunky, and visuals are extremely low detail, most younger gamers won't get past these issues. I may even prefer the original to a remake, or don't play it at all, since I usually don't replay games. It doesn't matter. I pledged primarily to reward original devs and in hope that the HD version generates enough profit ( or publisher interest ) to fund a sequel.

What is important to me, is that new art assets are not a disgrace to original. That they've ported all original gameplay source code into the new engine including AI etc, so it won't be dumbed down.
Example from updates with procedurally painted rock formations are cool and show they're still competent enough to deliver with a small team, both HD update and a remake.
Both Outcast and Totem tech demo, were really impresive for their time, so these guys really deserve some benefit of doubt.
It may not look as good as handmade environments in higher profile games, but is good enough and some abstraction was a part of a charm of the original.
It's necessary tradeoff to deliver an open world with a small team.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter failed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outcast-reboot-hd/outcast-reboot-hd/posts/835262

This was our first KS campaign and we did a number of mistakes. Before launching the campaign, we knew that we were lacking content and the goal was high but we did not take the measure of their impact on the failure of the project.

We should have set a lower initial goal from the beginning, include more platforms, provide more attractive and more professional videos, lower the next-gen console stretch goal, post more updates with more attractive content, properly plan these updates in advance to free our time for promoting the campaign. We should have better explain the key features of the game and the high quality values of this remake compared to the original, do not mix old gen gameplay with new gen rendering, and ultimately, we should have shown a gameplay demo with the new characters or at least a representative trailer. Unfortunately we didn't have enough assets to produce a trailer due to tight financing and we expected this funding to really "kickstart" the project.

I think we made a wrong assumption from the start, thinking that the original game could be our “draft prototype” and let people imagine how good the game could be just by showing the first glimpse of the environment in HD and a list of improvements, while asking folks to trust us based on the experience of the team. Part of that, is of course due to a lack of upfront financing which also forced us to rush the campaign. I really hope that we’ll be able to sort this point for the next step.

This campaign was very exciting and rewarding and gives this amazing opportunity of gathering the Outcast community.

Thanks to your commitment and the overall feedback we received, we truly believe, more than ever, that this project deserves to be done and we are more than eager to make it happen. Will it be through another Kickstarter or another crowdfunding platform, paypal, private investment, some bank loans, public support, distributor deals or a mix of all that, we will see.

Now, time is for analysis and thinking of the different options we have to finance this project given the economic reality. It may require some time and we'll do our best to share with you any significant information we might have regarding the next step.

In the meantime, we may bother you a little by sending surveys in the coming weeks to get your feedback on various topics. Please take time to answer, your feedback is very valuable to us.

Angthoron

Arcane
include more platforms, lower the next-gen console stretch goal

Yeah, good lessons to carry away from that indeed. :roll: Especially next-gen consoles, good one.

Probably not supporting them next time, fuck their iPad versions and PS4 indie store extravaganza.

Wasteland 2
From latest updates I learned that stuff about "procedurally generated from original voxel data" was just my misunderstanding of some previous updates :oops:

I also learned, that original didn't actually use real voxels, it was just a heightmap terrain, calling it voxels is a bit of a stretch.
Funny that I've never realised it when playing the game, they did a good job with these heightmaps.

Repressed Homosexual
It looks like they're very objective about the mistakes they've made and are eager to learn from them, very good news.

Though I am baffled by saying that they "should have set all the goals lower", I think that already was much too little money for a project of such ambition.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems like kickstarter wasn't completely futile? http://store.steampowered.com/app/336610/

https://www.facebook.com/outcastgame/posts/1000272063321373

Outcast.
A while ago I told you guys about the amazing game called Outcast. Outcast was released in 1999 and the game was a revolution at itself. It featured a massive world, immense gameplay, great storytelling, beautiful graphics, real life-like AI and much much more.

Unfortunately, the publisher Infogrames which hold the rights of the original game went bankrupt before Outcast 2 could see the light of day and with it the franchise was put to a hold. However, hope was revived when in 2013 the original developers, now called Fresh3D, bought back the rights of the game with the plan to revive Outcast. From there, they started a Kickstarter to create a HD reboot of the game but unfortunalty the Kickstarter failed because the needed funds were not met. After that setback it got awefully quiet but Fresh3D was secretly still working on Outcast.

Today, the moment of my silence is over and I am glad to announce that Outcast is definately coming back!

In the very near future, Outcast v1.1 will be released through various gaming platforms which will be announced later. Many additions and tweaks have been made to the game and it looks better than ever! I'll provide the information here on the quickssilverrgaming Facebook page when Outcast v1.1 is available for purchase.

The last few months I posted small and secret messages that I knew more than I could say about Outcast and now is the time to tell you what this was all about:
After the Kickstarter, some members of Fresh3D approached me asking advice on some topics and even allowing me to test two builds of the coming v1.1 version of the game with me providing feedback to them. This was an amazing opportunity and it really is an eye-opening experience to see the changes being done to the game with the release of every new build.

I would like to seize this moment to thank Fresh3D for giving me this amazing opportunity and wish them all the luck in the world with reviving the Outcast franchise!

Seems like GOG owners of Outcast might receive this for free.

MasPingon

Arcane
Oh+god+in+heaven+its+glorious+_ae21f7dd0231ab7d96eb8ff8f7635877.gif

That's like best thing in gaming since Outcast.

Astral Rag

Arcane
For the CPU required. We just tested the game on an Intel i7-2600 @3.2Ghz, and it works smoothly at 1920*1080. :)
We also tested on an i5, and it worked too, but a bit less smoothly when running at 1080p. But no problem with lower resolutions. :)
Please remember that the game still uses the old voxel technology and the render is still software-based.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/336610/discussions/0/626329820726376762/

:what:

Turjan

Arcane
Now that it's live, it's €4.99 on Steam. Not too bad.

€3.99 for the soundtrack as DLC :D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom