Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast: Second Contact - Outcast remake

Name

Cipher
A remake? But I thought the that game has aged well.
Well it all depends on what changes will be made. Hope it's Leisure Suit Larry style remake.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Interesting, maybe I should reactivate my KS account. But then again I never played Outcast... it just reminds me of Unreal 1 which I'd love for a remake too.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Interesting, maybe I should reactivate my KS account. But then again I never played Outcast... it just reminds me of Unreal 1 which I'd love for a remake too.

Unreal 1 doesn't need a remake, it still looks and plays as good as it ever did. What would you like to see "remade" ?

Do give Outcast a try it's a wonderful game that plays well on modern machines, just use :

http://www.outcastzone.de/articles,id19,1,outcast_hd_high_definition.html

http://af.gog.com/forum/outcast/exp..._lighthouse_problem_fixed/page1?as=1649904300

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
lol @Unreal: basically I'd like to see remade environments with enhanced models and vegetation. With the power of today's engine this alien planet could look brilliant. Some added replayability value would be nice, e.g. an upgradeable weapon system, minor RPG elements, or things like once in a while you meet another survivor which you can command (like bots in UT).

Though I doubt it's gonna happen and perhaps only a playthrough of the original will return sufficient nostalgia. Also it might be pointless to just "remake" something with no change. No wonder Epic thought about something like an Open World Unreal once.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I replayed part of it a year ago with the HD patches and my only gripe with Outcast were tank controls and non-responsive radial menus.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.facebook.com/daokastudio

914089_699091083468146_1148063881_o.png

Duraframe300

Arcane
You could freely explore open world cities, mountains and forests (two years before GTA III). You could commandeer extraterrestrial vehicles – in this case, dinosaur-like creatures - for quicker transport (two years before Halo). You could pick and choose missions in the order that suited your playing style (nine years before Fallout 3)."

Dat quote

DeepOcean

Arcane
You could freely explore open world cities, mountains and forests (two years before GTA III). You could commandeer extraterrestrial vehicles – in this case, dinosaur-like creatures - for quicker transport (two years before Halo). You could pick and choose missions in the order that suited your playing style (nine years before Fallout 3)."
Dat quote
He truly pick great games to compare to, isn't it?:lol:

Wasteland 2
At first I was going to pass on it, since I see no point in remaking Outcast in Unity or whatever the plan is.

Then I realised it's being made by actual key figures of the original dev team for a change, unlike other similar projects. So I pledged, to reward them for their past good work.

Edit:
He truly pick great games to compare to, isn't it?:lol:
Ugh... I can always come to my senses and cancel the pledge before the campaign ends, I guess :|

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Outcast: Dead on Arrival Edition

Stretch goal 1.7M: A new world: Kizaar

Is this a joke?

2983b403d12e7d02d86e9e6542fa5310_large.png

:Flash:

Arcane
I don't see how redoing the models will improve Outcast, which is perfect just as it is.
The only thing that needs fixing is the maximum visibility range, and you don't need 600.000 to fix a constant.
If they just released the source code and made a Kickstarter for Outcast II, I'd be throwing money at them.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm gonna give them 20 bucks, they deserve that much for making outcast in the first place. A HD version with true widescreen and more stuff to do is very welcome even though the original is still great as it is. Also if it's succesful we'll probably have a sequel.

Pay up bitches !

:takemymoney:

DeepOcean

Arcane
If they just released the source code and made a Kickstarter for Outcast II, I'd be throwing money at them.
I don't think they have the reputation big enough to guarantee enough money for Outcast II through kickstarter right away. A new game would require an outside investor/publisher as awful that sounds.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
bad pitch. they should have played a lot more to the game's strengths, and explain them in-depth: alien culture, soundtrack and unique guidance systems (e.g. NPCs pointing in the general direction of something when asking for the way there).
game reviews (especially at 8.5, 86, etc) and youtube comments aren't exactly strong sale points.
"if you back this, you are basically getting a AAA-title for the price of an indie game" urk terrible closing statement.

kickstarter gets 2/10 from me, and I won't back it (because I'm on a tight budget until this month's pay day).

I like Outcast though, and will very likely buy this at a later time.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yeah, the way they sell it, the game looks like a generic open world third person shooter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom