Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Overgrowth, the vaporware bunny homicide simulator - no longer vaporware, too bad it sucks!

gromit

Arcane
Believe it or not, it took until now, this thread, for me to lose respect for Skyway's opinions. Call me an optimist. But he did initially have a point, in that when someone's making a game consisting of more or less a single element, it gets all the attention during development, as naturally everything is riding on that one thing being down pat (or at least better than everyone else's.)

Regardless: meh. Amazing engine (with apparently good support for blended and dynamic animation - which you can't exactly ignore in writing an engine, Mr. Story) but, yeah... I have no great interest in these epic bunny battles they draw. It feels very... middle school.

Of course, they could pull something amazing out of their asses and make it quite compelling - theoretically - but I doubt that's going to happen. They clearly are absolutely in love with asian rabbit warriors spouting gruff "half-liners" and the goring one another. I'm way outside the target market on this one - but to be fair, likely so are they.

It seems to suffer from an all-too common curse of independent development at the "microbrew" level: start with one tight idea, goal, or focus, and nail it, but then end up with great mechanics without the ideas to do them service, or, even more tragically (but more to my taste) great ideas marred by terrible tech.

Attn: when you have a product which is proportional successful, it's time to clean your shit up - be it hiring someone to write a good engine upon which your trickle of ideas can then be implemented with great ease and less disruption, or finding yourself a world-builder. Both can go terribly wrong, but not attempting to realize potential to begin with is worse.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
It will never get finished.
The best they can hope for is a broken mp only combat thingy with really crappy netcode.

MisterStone

Arcane
You guys are fucking idiots, you know that? You've got basically someone who was a teen prodigy of 3D game engine design, who just graduated from college with honors in the same field, working day and night designing a beautiful 3D engine with fully implemented physics, dynamic lighting, sound effects, etc. etc. from scratch to make what will be one of the most remarkable fighting games ever. But half of you don't have anything to say other than, "Dude, just can't get over the rabbits, man."

:rpgcodex:

Seriously, why are anthropomorphic rabbits any worse/stupider/more childish than the other shit you are all into? Warhammer 40k, DnD, etc.? Do people really think that retarded generic high fantasy shit + modest does of grimdark (Dragon Age) is better than this? Get the fuck over yourselves.

Anyone who looks at the tech videos for this and has to ask 'How is this any different from Mount and Blade' is a fucking retard. Mount and Blade is an OK game built on 12 year old technology with slightly better skinning. The models in mount and blade look like mannequins who can only do about half a dozen actions, jump about three feet straight up in the air, and jog like an arthritic 90-year-old. I suppose they've got nice horses, but not much else going for it in the tech department. Not to hate on M&B, but seriously people.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People shitting on this game are just doing it for the kreds~ And Skyway is always Skyway so no big surprise.

AzraelCC

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
M&B and Minecraft never left Alpha either. And never will.

Alpha in indie speak = finished game.

Do you seriously believe indies are capable of doing a good game, not just making some mechanics that last for 2 hours and copy paste them for 20?

Dominions 3, Knights of the Chalice, Terraria and Solium Infernum are good, finished games. Dungeon Crawl isn't "finished" but it sure as hell plays well. Not buying or playing them by virtue of being "unpolished" only serves to keep AAA games shitty, just because companies will keep producing crap that sells.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
rabbit.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kms5yScMrbU

It really did. At least the last minute or so. Seeing the bunny slowly bleeding to death while gasping for air and twitching was ogrish enough, hearing the enthousiastic nerd talk through it just made it really unsettling.

Last edited by a moderator:

FatCat

Educated
Looks good , if it will be possible to chop off limbs and spill some guts.it will be glorious.
But it's funny how on average people don't give a fuck about humans and feel bad for cute animals.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Castanova said:
Trash, I thought you were desensitized after watching a ton of snuff videos on ogrish.com or whatever.

The stark contrast between the scene that looked an awful lot like shit such as chechclear and the happy babbling nerd was what made that part of the vid kinda uncomfortable to see. Made me notice it enough to mention it here at least.

ortucis

Prophet
I just mailed that video link to Peta. Those swines need to suffer.

So I hope some PETA members will die while watching the video.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Looks like an improved version of the first game. Which is good.

I agree with Trash about the dying animation.

Moreover, realistic blood looks kinda off in an straight up arcade game.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Trash said:
rabbit.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/WolfireGame ... ms5yScMrbU

It really did. At least the last minute or so. Seeing the bunny slowly bleeding to death while gasping for air and twitching was ogrish enough, hearing the enthousiastic nerd talk through it just made it really unsettling.
Damn, I thought that it's going to be some hardcore several minutes of agony with guy enthusiastically commenting on it and laughing and it was nothing like that. I'm disappoint.
It was just a few seconds and all the video sounds like a craftsman that is very proud of of his work and very satisfied with doing a good job. And looking at it, I can say that he certainly deserves to be fucking proud. Except for the furfag thing.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Anyway it really made me appreciate good animation and good effects in games. Is it just my opinion or are these things often neglected in modern games?

Phelot

Arcane
I remember this project. Looks good, the fights I mean, but for fucks sake, ya finally get something cool and it's fucking rabbits and furfaggotry. Even "TUFF GUY IRONIC KILLER RABBITS" doesn't make it better.

Peter

Arcane
Yeah, not too excited about the game itself, but, fuck me, that engine looks tasty. They better release a fully fleshed out SDK when (if?) they finish the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom