Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

This looks pretty awesome. I haven't played a competitive multiplayer FPS in years because they're all the fucking same. Something like this could be really fun and new.

Edit: except Natural Selection 2 and Rising Storm. Those games kickass. Also, I don't really understand the hate for a game that is leaning hard on diverse gameplay but whatever.
I can't tell whether this post is serious or not, but I'll bite - what exactly is diverse or "fun and new" about a carbon copy of Team Fortress 2?

sser

Arcane
Developer
This looks pretty awesome. I haven't played a competitive multiplayer FPS in years because they're all the fucking same. Something like this could be really fun and new.

Edit: except Natural Selection 2 and Rising Storm. Those games kickass. Also, I don't really understand the hate for a game that is leaning hard on diverse gameplay but whatever.
I can't tell whether this post is serious or not, but I'll bite - what exactly is diverse or "fun and new" about a carbon copy of Team Fortress 2?

TF2 is a 6v6 where only 1-player type can be on each team? I had no idea. TF2 is a simplistic game at heart. This game looks like a MOBA-archetype blended into a competitive FPS shooter.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yup, it clearly has powerful skills that you can't use at will, like the Gorilla getting enraged or the phantom guy shooting like a blindman with unlimited ammo.

I wonder how they'll avoid being a game about waiting & syncing cooldowns...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't understand why you're equating ambition to originality and novelty.

Because of the context you used, I.E., Blizzard relying on established formulas. This is something they have always done, but lack quality wasn't an issue with them back in the days.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
This is typical modern Blizzard: a simplified take on an established formula.

What bothers me the most isn't the lack of originality - it's the lack of ambition.

http://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzards-titan-actually-was-1638632121

Plenty of ambition, shame pardo and Kaplan spent all those years curling out a turd. Bad enough on its own, but they had to drag the rest of the company in with them by sucking up vast resources and talent like some nerd equivalent of Stalingrad. All whilst leaving two wow expansions content starved and bleeding subs.
Good job jay wilson was there to make a twenty million selling title in Diablo 3. :smug:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Seems like amped up and polished version of TF2.

Not necessarily bad, if anything, Blizzard do have the code monkeys to make shit enjoyable.

I don't understand why you're equating ambition to originality and novelty.

Because of the context you used, I.E., Blizzard relying on established formulas. This is something they have always done, but lack quality wasn't an issue with them back in the days.

No, I specifically differentiated between the lack of ambition and the lack of originality. One does not equal the other, and it's not the other's corollary.

I agree with you that they've always rehashed old ideas (specifically Games Workshop ideas retrofitted into their own copycat worlds), but that's neither here nor there - again, I'm not discussing originality, I'm merely pointing out that they actually made an effort (i.e. aspired) towards quality when producing games. My position is that lack of quality wasn't an issue with them back in the day because of that fact. Now they're a huge company that plays it safe and has a committee board deciding what the next game should or should not be. I don't see any ambition there, other than perhaps towards a more aggressive market share.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Looks awful, like an off-brand Team Fortress 2 with some Destiny mixed in. The characters all look like generic MMO classes with tier armour, (from Titan, obviously) but retooled into specific characters.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm guessing the third expansion for StarCraft 2 will be the last non-f2p game from blizzard. Oh well... I used to long for blizzard games/releases, but since the casualisation of WoW, the lore-raping in heart of the swarm, and well... the Diablo 3 game. R.I.P Blizzard, I will remember the good times we had together in the Warcraft 2 demo :salute: Oh and yeah, the game looks terrible.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Finally someone's making an FPS that isn't a CoD clone, and we've got people crying that it's a TF2 clone.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Pretty sure people were wanting a true FPS and not a copy of TF2. Those aren't the only two options.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Okay, which one of you did this?
1477993%20-%20InCase%20Overwatch%20tracer.jpg

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I've never cared for multiplayer focused shooters and I'm not a fan of the Pixar-inspired cartoon graphics. Overwatch will probably be laden with piecemeal DLC and pay to win crap as well.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Has there ever been a pay-to-win game that succeeded on a large scale? Blizzard can't be that dumb...can they?

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Looks like a lot of fun. Like people said this looks like TF3. Which is a good thing ofcourse.

You can say that hearthstone and this are just copying populkar formulas, but atleast blizzard tends to get it right. Hearthstone is a great game. So if they succeed with this game too I think it will be very enjoyable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lots of trying too hard ITT.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-08-is-overwatch-related-to-blizzards-failed-mmo-titan

Is Overwatch related to Blizzard's failed MMO Titan?
"There are things from Titan in Overwatch, but…"

When Blizzard announced its new shooter Overwatch at BlizzCon, a question immediately presented itself: was this project related to - possibly even a repurposed portion of - its cancelled massively multiplayer game, codenamed Titan?

For starters, Overwatch's game director was revealed to be Jeff Kaplan, the former World of Warcraft game director who went to work on Titan in 2009. It's possible the two games had other core team members in common. Furthermore, after Blizzard confirmed Titan's cancellation to Polygon a few weeks ago, Kotaku reported that the canned MMO - which Blizzard's story chief Chris Metzen describes now as "six games in one" - had many elements we now know to be common with Overwatch: shooter gameplay, a near-future Earth setting and stylised, cartoon art.

Speaking at a press conference at BlizzCon, Kaplan initially poured cold water on the link. "I think there's a lot of assumptions, especially considering some recent stories that have come out, but Overwatch is its own game," he said. "Now, in all of our games at Blizzard we borrow ideas from previous projects, previous games, we take a lot of inspiration from other things that we've done. So there are things from Titan in Overwatch, but it's not like there aren't things from World of Warcraft in Overwatch as well."

However, when asked how the decision to make Overwatch was taken, Kaplan hinted that it emerged naturally and quickly from a morass of options after Titan's ambitious development.

"Our production director, he's looking over my shoulder and we were working on all these other things, and he's like, why aren't we doing that? The whole team was like, we want to dothat! [Blizzard's executives] came to the team and they saw the energy that we had around this idea, and they knew the other things that we were thinking about doing, and they were like, just go, make what you guys believe in. It was kind of ridiculously easy, how it came to be."

Whatever Overwatch's connection to Titan in terms of content or personnel might be, it's clear that its importance to Blizzard is as a sharp contrast with the failed MMO: a smaller game that can be made quickly and with passion. At the press conference, Metzen spoke of Blizzard's frustration that it couldn't get Titan right, and characterised Overwatch as a reaction to the difficulty the developer had experienced trying to follow World of Warcraft with another gargantuan online world.

"I'm not going to get into what [Titan] was going to be or what we wanted it to be. I can tell you what it was: it was frustrating," Metzen said. "It was a big, giant idea, it was almost like six video games in one, it was the most ambitious thing we've ever done. We wrestled with it for a long time. And it... it sucked. We couldn't figure it out. We couldn't crack it.

"Imagine this amazing team, just frustrated, like a band trying to write a song: why can't we make it sound awesome? Can't find the harmony, whatever. And so when we decided to go another way... suddenly, boom, the music just exploded.

"It's been the funnest year of getting our feet back under us, getting our surety back. That magnetic north thing; we found it again and it feels good... I hope that people look at Overwatch as a very clever game, but I'm telling you, under the hood, we needed this. In a weird way it's like a rebirth [for Blizzard]; keep it simple, keep it fun."

Overwatch is in development for PC, with a beta due in 2015. Kaplan said that a console version "sounds awesome" but wouldn't confirm it, and the the game's business model is "not something that we're ready to discuss at this point". We'll have hands-on impressions from BlizzCon soon.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And you believe that? A game they've been working on for years gets cancelled and all of a sudden a new one pops up and is magically ready for beta in a few months? Yeah... I'm sure they took very little from Titan. Other than the FPS parts, the characters, the art assets, the engine, the maps, the skills...

Keep in mind it took them, what, three or more years just to push out technical alpha for Heroes of the Storm? And that alpha will have lasted about a year when closed beta rolls around in January. But all of a sudden Overwatch is ready for beta shortly after it's announcement when absolutely no one outside of Blizzard had ever even heard of it.

The paymasters saw how much money they're making with Hearthstone, projected how much money they'll make with Heroes of the Storm, and then wondered why they're throwing millions into a bottom less six-year pit of developing an MMO when they already have the industry's largest. And, bang, that's how Overwatch is born. Take a part of it, cram it into a online shooter, put in your microtransactions, and watch the cash roll in.

What kills me is people are still wondering when they'll see Warcraft 4. Please.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Design wise this looks like absolute ass compared to TF2. There's no unifying style in the character designs, just a random collection of cartoony elements.

(Sadly TF2 doesn't look as good as it used to due to the weird hats etc. that valve has filled the game with compared to the clean design of vanilla, but it's still a lot more coherent than Blizzard's newest mess)

I dunno how the gameplay of this game will compare with TF2, but if it's going to focus on spamming speshul abilities rather than good old twitch skills it's probably going to suck.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Has there ever been a pay-to-win game that succeeded on a large scale? Blizzard can't be that dumb...can they?

Hearthstone made them around $200 million last year.

LoL made 624 millions in 2013,a South Korean game called Crossfire made 957 millions,another South Korean game called Dungeon Fighter made 1.4 billions,TF2 made 139$ millions,WoW made 213 millions just through microtransactions too
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/le...r-2013-total-624-million-update/1100-6417224/

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Finally someone's making an FPS that isn't a CoD clone, and we've got people crying that it's a TF2 clone.

Didn't i just argue against this point a moment ago?

The fact it is different doesn't mean its good. And people don't have a problem with CoD games because they are all the same. They have a problem with them because they are all shit.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Looks like a very random cast of characters with situational skills duking it out, so I assume actual gameplay will be a complete clusterfuck. The graphics are top notch, design seems fairly generic despite being all over the place. I probably shouldn't say anything as I'm not a big fan of moba-inspired action games to begin with. Having particular roles in a team-based fps is fine, but I long for the day when these roles are dictated by setup/pick-ups again rather than selecting a specific character. Other than the fact that it's Blizzard, it just looks like on of those f2p games that could gather a large initial community and then be forgotten by the time a similar game gets released.

I remember playing Warcraft 2 and imagining what a future-gen sequel might be like, continuous conquest on a larger scale with battles that aren't about min-maxing and filled with interesting variables. At this point, I couldn't care less; I don't believe we'll see anything worthwhile from Blizzard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom